Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Graham Barton

I'm starting to think Barton is my most coveted OL for the Commanders along with Fuaga. That'd be a very hard decision for me.

Top Draftable Centers (to my eyes)

1.    Jackson Powers Johnson Oregon

2.    Zach Frazier West Virginia

3.    Sedrick Van Pran Georgia

4.    Matt Lee Miami Hurricanes *Underrated

5.    Andrew Raym Oklahoma

6.    Dylan McMahon NC State

7.    Jalen Sundell North Dakota State *Phenomenal versatility along the entire OL

8.    Drake Nugent Michigan

9.     Charles Turner III LSU

10.   Tanor Bortolini Wisconsin

11.   Beaux Limmer Arkansas

12.   Sincere Haynesworth Tulane

13.   Will Putnam Clemson

14.   Mike Novitsky Kansas

15.   Nick Sumac Michigan State *Underrated

16.   Kingsley Eguakun Florida

17.   Bryan Hudson Louisville

18.   Hunter Nourzad Penn State

19.   Jacob Monk Duke

20.   Duke Clemens UCLA

21.   Nathan Boe Minnesota

22.   Justin Dedich USC

23.   Matthew Cindric California

24.   John Lanz TCU

25.   Corey Gaynor UNC

26.   Andrew Meyer UTEP

27.   Avery Jones Auburn

28.   Michael Jurgens Wake Forest

29.   Jacob Likes Memphis

30.   Treylen Brown Jacksonville State

31.   Rusty Staats Texas Tech

32.   Deshawn Ingram Howard

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 4

Zach Frazier isn't going to be in my top 100.  I don't really see it with him.  He's small and a center only prospect, and he doesn't have high level ability to sustain blocks or hit second level targets as a climber.  He can get to trap blocks, but he doesn't really sustain anything, and he also doesn't play with particularly good instincts where he can find late pressure/work--just kind of keeps blocking grass.

I don't see anything special about him at all other than I guess he's good at running the tush push.  Van Pran is like two tiers better than him.

So far the only center prospects I like are JPJ and Van Pran, or Barton if he switches back to Center.  One of those three would be a huge upgrade and day one starter, but after that, it's dicey.

31 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Zach Frazier isn't going to be in my top 100.  I don't really see it with him.  He's small and a center only prospect, and he doesn't have high level ability to sustain blocks or hit second level targets as a climber.  He can get to trap blocks, but he doesn't really sustain anything, and he also doesn't play with particularly good instincts where he can find late pressure/work--just kind of keeps blocking grass.

I don't see anything special about him at all other than I guess he's good at running the tush push.  Van Pran is like two tiers better than him.

So far the only center prospects I like are JPJ and Van Pran, or Barton if he switches back to Center.  One of those three would be a huge upgrade and day one starter, but after that, it's dicey.

Barton could potentially be there at 36.  The fact that he's got experience everywhere along the OL is a plus.  If Stromberg balls out, we could slide Barton at LG and have a strong interior.  I don't think JPJ slides out of the first round.  His ceiling is 20 to Pittsburgh. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Barton could potentially be there at 36.  The fact that he's got experience everywhere along the OL is a plus.  If Stromberg balls out, we could slide Barton at LG and have a strong interior.  I don't think JPJ slides out of the first round.  His ceiling is 20 to Pittsburgh. 

I really like Barton, and he would be in the BPA mix for me at 36.

That's going to be an interesting spot, because there are probably going to be some high risk low floor guys on the table like Keon Coleman to weigh against the much safer IOL/IDL options.  And it's also probably going to be our best pick for trading down and adding extra picks.

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

Ehh I'm kinda over position flex. Ron killed it for me. Get me a guy who is a stud at one position.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

That's going to be an interesting spot, because there are probably going to be some high risk low floor guys on the table like Keon Coleman to weigh against the much safer IOL/IDL options.  And it's also probably going to be our best pick for trading down and adding extra picks.

Worried about Ravens snatching him at 30. They may need to replace everyone but Linderbaum and would be perfect guy to pair with him.

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Ehh I'm kinda over position flex. Ron killed it for me. Get me a guy who is a stud at one position.

They just did it poorly. Like terrible development strategies of intentionally putting them in wrong spots for multiple games just to "learn", when all they experienced was failure while their teammates suffered. Or trying Plan A for waaaay too long before pivoting to Plan B.

Position flex works, and can lead to some funky schemes that some opponents can't handle. It's also saved multiple teams seasons, such as the Ravens in 2012. We just saw a prime case of how not to do it though.

• Like 2

Ugggh, so I finally got around to watching Caleb Williams and I'm not a happy camper. This QB draft is riddled with talented QB's that all end with a "Yes, but...". I have serious reservations about Williams. There's no denying he's got talent, and a skillset most QB's don't, but there are so many unanswered questions now. I've heard that every team will have a different order for their Top 3 QB's...and I believe it.

Caleb Williams accuracy is weird. On one hand it's a bit overblown, a lot of his success comes from putting giant arc on balls and letting WR's run under it. He's throwing to open space a ton, and that's often not a bad thing. Other times his accuracy when he has to drive it is all over the place. Wrong shoulder too often. Yet there are times he's scrambling and throws a dart on the run, in stride, to out stretched WR hands with a CB draped on him and the placement and throw just looks beautiful.

My biggest issue is I don't like how Caleb processes. He avoids most things where he'd have to read a defense. It's a serious issue that I think will get him exposed in the NFL. In 2 games that I watched, he only threw towards the middle of the field (while in the pocket) once each game. He completed it both times and they were good plays. He also only threw an in-breaking route from an outside WR once total in both games. It was also completed for a great gain. He can do it. There are opportunities for him to do it more. He just refuses to. All of his throws are either behind the LoS, or towards the sidelines. He looks for something he's pretty sure is a 1-on-1 outside the numbers and then that's it. There's no read 2. Read 2 is scramble around, buy time, and hope backyard football gets someone open off schedule.

I need to watch Jayden Daniels more, but right now My Top 3 (always subject to change) could be Maye > Daniels > Williams. I also fully get the recent hype for JJ McCarthy, he is the youngest, plays well in a system, and there could be more to him than we know. I can see NFL teams watching the top 3 and going...

image.gif.732f6af26e125216cc5526fcfeaa6c5a.gif

There's several talented QB's in this draft, it's just awkward. I'm happy we need a QB now, because it's a better than normal QB draft, I just don't know who to take.

----------------------------------

USC WR Brendan Rice, I think I have to give more credit towards. He's physical with the ball in the air because he HAS to be with a QB like Caleb Williams. He's a target on Day 3. I like him more than who Dyami Brown is now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Ugggh, so I finally got around to watching Caleb Williams and I'm not a happy camper. This QB draft is riddled with talented QB's that all end with a "Yes, but...". I have serious reservations about Williams. There's no denying he's got talent, and a skillset most QB's don't, but there are so many unanswered questions now. I've heard that every team will have a different order for their Top 3 QB's...and I believe it.

Caleb Williams accuracy is weird. On one hand it's a bit overblown, a lot of his success comes from putting giant arc on balls and letting WR's run under it. He's throwing to open space a ton, and that's often not a bad thing. Other times his accuracy when he has to drive it is all over the place. Wrong shoulder too often. Yet there are times he's scrambling and throws a dart on the run, in stride, to out stretched WR hands with a CB draped on him and the placement and throw just looks beautiful.

My biggest issue is I don't like how Caleb processes. He avoids most things where he'd have to read a defense. It's a serious issue that I think will get him exposed in the NFL. In 2 games that I watched, he only threw towards the middle of the field (while in the pocket) once each game. He completed it both times and they were good plays. He also only threw an in-breaking route from an outside WR once total in both games. It was also completed for a great gain. He can do it. There are opportunities for him to do it more. He just refuses to. All of his throws are either behind the LoS, or towards the sidelines. He looks for something he's pretty sure is a 1-on-1 outside the numbers and then that's it. There's no read 2. Read 2 is scramble around, buy time, and hope backyard football gets someone open off schedule.

I need to watch Jayden Daniels more, but right now My Top 3 (always subject to change) could be Maye > Daniels > Williams. I also fully get the recent hype for JJ McCarthy, he is the youngest, plays well in a system, and there could be more to him than we know. I can see NFL teams watching the top 3 and going...

There's several talented QB's in this draft, it's just awkward. I'm happy we need a QB now, because it's a better than normal QB draft, I just don't know who to take.

USC WR Brendan Rice, I think I have to give more credit towards. He's physical with the ball in the air because he HAS to be with a QB like Caleb Williams. He's a target on Day 3. I like him more than who Dyami Brown is now.

Solid analysis. The talent level is ridiculous with Williams but you're right, he's more of a project than people think. I don't put him in that same 1A slam dunk class as a Burrow, Lawrence, etc. 

I'd 100% take him if he fell to #2 but I see no real reason to trade up for him. I don't think there is that much of a gap between him and Maye and in some ways Maye is superior.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

I'm starting to think Barton is my most coveted OL for the Commanders along with Fuaga. That'd be a very hard decision for me.

Top Draftable Centers (to my eyes)

1.    Jackson Powers Johnson Oregon

2.    Zach Frazier West Virginia

3.    Sedrick Van Pran Georgia

4.    Matt Lee Miami Hurricanes *Underrated

5.    Andrew Raym Oklahoma

6.    Dylan McMahon NC State

7.    Jalen Sundell North Dakota State *Phenomenal versatility along the entire OL

8.    Drake Nugent Michigan

9.     Charles Turner III LSU

10.   Tanor Bortolini Wisconsin

11.   Beaux Limmer Arkansas

12.   Sincere Haynesworth Tulane

13.   Will Putnam Clemson

14.   Mike Novitsky Kansas

15.   Nick Sumac Michigan State *Underrated

16.   Kingsley Eguakun Florida

17.   Bryan Hudson Louisville

18.   Hunter Nourzad Penn State

19.   Jacob Monk Duke

20.   Duke Clemens UCLA

21.   Nathan Boe Minnesota

22.   Justin Dedich USC

23.   Matthew Cindric California

24.   John Lanz TCU

25.   Corey Gaynor UNC

26.   Andrew Meyer UTEP

27.   Avery Jones Auburn

28.   Michael Jurgens Wake Forest

29.   Jacob Likes Memphis

30.   Treylen Brown Jacksonville State

31.   Rusty Staats Texas Tech

32.   Deshawn Ingram Howard

Versatility means a lot.  I like the potential with Guyton too at OT. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I think we'll trade down from one of our early 2nds for sure.  If Nix is there at 36, we could have a trade down situation.  Carolina may be tempted to trade down at 33 since they'd like some extra picks to make up for the lack of #1.  I don't see Arizona trading down since they have so many picks.  NE probably doesn't either since they'd take BPA along the OL.  

8 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The Eagles used position flex on Cam Jurgens. Was a center at Nebraska and has played guard in the NFL so far. He is going to take over for Kelce next year. I think Barton is a Pro Bowler type at either guard or center. He would be a nice get at 36 and is a Day 1 starter who would solidify the interior.

6 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Don't you think a lot of the trends in where he throws is driven by Lincoln Riley's offense? I hate that offense and I think it makes it harder to project a guy to the NFL. But you can see the arm talent.

19 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I get this, position flex was over-emphasized by Ron with overreaction from a grouping of injuries. 

It still is an incredible attribute for a player to be able to move the line but we need a 2nd rounder to be capable of starting quality right away at one position. With Barton, can he start and be good at T? Do you need to move him inside and if so, which is his best position with no G experience and limited C experience years ago. If they really like him at a particular spot then great. I really think they will be working Wylie or Gates at LG which will mean we would need Barton at T or C.

• Like 1

I was watching this year's Duke UNC game and during it Barton had to leave for a few plays because of a knee issue and the announcers referenced that knee pain had been an ongoing issue for him for a few games. Not necessarily a disqualifier But something that would have to be checked out. I agree with Commanda, to me he really only offers value as a center. And at C I like JPJ better and Van Pran almost as highly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think Barton gets out of the First any way. Same to JPJ.

It's going to be such an interesting off season. There's some solid depth on day three for OL, that I think goes solidly on day two most years.

It would absolutely not shock me at all if OL doesn't get addressed until day three. 

LBer, WR, DB, DE I think is the priority day two this year.

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't think Barton gets out of the First any way. Same to JPJ.

It's going to be such an interesting off season. There's some solid depth on day three for OL, that I think goes solidly on day two most years.

It would absolutely not shock me at all if OL doesn't get addressed until day three. 

LBer, WR, DB, DE I think is the priority day two this year.

Our team broadly lacks talent so the Day 2 priority is "yes" to any position that's not RB and DT. I can't wait for Free Agency so we can actually have a guess on what position groups we might look at with what picks.

• Like 1