Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

For me, the appealing thing about Richardson beyond his physical measurable was his intelligence — he had one of the highest Wonderlic scores of his class (so did Howell btw). A raw prospect with elite physical traits *and* high horsepower between the ears is a more attractive bet IMO.

How did he do in Indy before getting injured? Pretty well, right?

The Wonderlic and all standardized tests should be ignored as we are watching Stroud play. Everyone was so concerned about him not doing well on some S2 tests 

Speaking of Stroud, interesting to me that they are stressing how well he played in big games and against tough competition in college so he was always prepared for this moment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

The Wonderlic and all standardized tests should be ignored as we are watching Stroud play. Everyone was so concerned about him not doing well on some S2 tests 

Speaking of Stroud, interesting to me that they are stressing how well he played in big games and against tough competition in college so he was always prepared for this moment.

I disagree. There's no silver bullet but these metrics are all individual pieces of the puzzle.

Wonderlic is not the end-all, be-all. But if you have a physically gifted but raw player and the question is whether he can pick up a pro offense, a high Wonderlic suggests he has the mental horsepower to learn.

The context is important.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

So, uh… just saw on Twitter that Cam Ward flipped and is now a Cane.

Im so happy. 

Might be the first pick next year if he does his thing. College Football has become a clownshow. We need some kind of regulations or this crap will continue. 

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Might be the first pick next year if he does his thing. College Football has become a clownshow. We need some kind of regulations or this crap will continue. 

Excuse me. This is my happy moment.

• Haha 4

I'm waiting to see who is gonna run our offense before I really dig into the big 3.

I really like all 3 overall, but I just wanted to layout my personal surface level "biggest concern" with each guy. I have seen a lot of this spoken about and I know some disagree, this is just where I am right now.

Williams - His height. Until we have the combine numbers we don't know if he is 6'1, a hair under or a shade over. Ether way, after seeing opposing D's actively work to stifle  a 6'1 Howell, its concerning to build our future around a guy of the same vert. He can "play tall" all he wants but life is a whole lot easier when you can reach the good cereal on the top shelf. Williams may require an exceptional play where a tall QB can just make a good one for the same result. Main difference being its way more repeatable and consistent for the tall guy.

Maye - Lack of an X-factor. On the surface, Maye does a lot of things well, but where the other 2 of the big 3 have that clear and obvious "special sauce" Maye does not strike me in such a way. Williams can beat you with off schedule plays w/ his arm talent that you can not game plan for. Daniels can kill a D with his wheels. Maye can kill you with.... solid and sustainable play. While that is good, both of the other guys seem to be able to do the same and more.

Daniels - Buying flash vs consistency. While Daniels has been good through his college career, he has only given you a year at the ++ level. Williams has been seen as "that dude" for 2, maybe 3 years. Maye for around 2 years. Those guys have shown staying power, Daniels has not. Opposing teams have seen what they both had, gameplanned against them and the both maintained high level play. It is way easier for me to be confident in high level success for Maye and WIlliams than it is for Daniels. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

28 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I'm waiting to see who is gonna run our offense before I really dig into the big 3.

I really like all 3 overall, but I just wanted to layout my personal surface level "biggest concern" with each guy. I have seen a lot of this spoken about and I know some disagree, this is just where I am right now.

Williams - His height. Until we have the combine numbers we don't know if he is 6'1, a hair under or a shade over. Ether way, after seeing opposing D's actively work to stifle  a 6'1 Howell, its concerning to build our future around a guy of the same vert. He can "play tall" all he wants but life is a whole lot easier when you can reach the good cereal on the top shelf. Williams may require an exceptional play where a tall QB can just make a good one for the same result. Main difference being its way more repeatable and consistent for the tall guy.

Maye - Lack of an X-factor. On the surface, Maye does a lot of things well, but where the other 2 of the big 3 have that clear and obvious "special sauce" Maye does not strike me in such a way. Williams can beat you with off schedule plays w/ his arm talent that you can not game plan for. Daniels can kill a D with his wheels. Maye can kill you with.... solid and sustainable play. While that is good, both of the other guys seem to be able to do the same and more.

Daniels - Buying flash vs consistency. While Daniels has been good through his college career, he has only given you a year at the ++ level. Williams has been seen as "that dude" for 2, maybe 3 years. Maye for around 2 years. Those guys have shown staying power, Daniels has not. Opposing teams have seen what they both had, gameplanned against them and the both maintained high level play. It is way easier for me to be confident in high level success for Maye and WIlliams than it is for Daniels. 

I think this is fair even if I don't agree with a bit of it. 

One of the things about Daniels that I think is underrated is that he was picked to lead AZ State by a former NFL head coach (Herman Edwards), he has a very close relationship with potential Raiders head coach Antonio Pierce who is like a mentor to him, and he played against multiple current NFL players. He battled Justin Herbert and won. He battled against Bryce Young and potential defensive rookie of the year Will Anderson and won. He is very close to and worked out in the offseason with Stroud. He has been around, trained with and had the support of NFL players and leaders his entire career (in fact I wouldn't be surprised if AP becomes the Raiders head coach and tries to trade up for him). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Howell isnt Williams. In fact it isnt close.

But the height is. Listen, I know you love Caleb. And there are many reasons too. And yes, Williams is a better prospect. But the height is a legit concern. Caleb has a few. It’s okay. He can still be a superstar.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

But the height is. Listen, I know you love Caleb. And there are many reasons too. And yes, Williams is a better prospect. But the height is a legit concern. Caleb has a few. It’s okay. He can still be a superstar.

Love you Kdawg. But look at what Mahomes is doing tonight so far. Caleb IS NOT Mahomes right now. But the right coach might make him on the same level or higher. Think about the possibilities. Calebs arm IS BETTER than Mahomes. By a lot. It just is. May be that it wont matter because the Bears are going to take him.And I would in their position. But give me Williams with Johnson and I will take my chances,

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

Love you Kdawg. But look at what Mahomes is doing tonight so far. Caleb IS NOT Mahomes right now. But the right coach might make him on the same level or higher. Think about the possibilities. Calebs arm IS BETTER than Mahomes. By a lot. It just is. May be that it wont matter because the Bears are going to take him.And I would in their position. But give me Williams with Johnson and I will take my chances,

Mahomes works his butt off, is coachable, and has no character issues.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

You’re arguing something here I didn’t say. 

I actually said he can be a superstar.

I said the height is a real concern. And it is. Doesn’t mean it actually effects him.

Mahomes is an inch taller, too. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

On 1/12/2024 at 3:58 PM, clskinsfan said:

How could you possibly know that? Do you have personal interactions with Caleb Williams?

I guarantee him crying with his mother after a loss will come up time and again during the interviews with teams during the draft process.  

Painting '****' your opponent on the fingernails will also come up.

So will a penchant of avoiding the press after big losses.

Also, why has he STILL not declared?

All of these point to an immaturity that will not fade with PR training.  Dont give the 'hes a kid' **** either, because he IS AN ADULT.  The lockerroom is a crucible and he will be tested early and often. His teammates and coaches will definitely razz his ass relentlessly before deciding if he is allowed to be annointed a leader.

I don't have to know him to see these red flags because he does these things on camera for all to see while he's under-going  the toughest 3-4 year job interview in existence. That interview is followed by a long hot summer of training camp.  That is followed possibly by a lot of losing, going to one of the worst (by record) teams in the league.

Throwing dimes is sexy, but who is this guy on the plane... in the locker room... in the hotel... in the QB room? Those things matter also. All of the things he's put on tape before during and after games warrant more in-depth scrutiny. Imho he is not a leader of men. He is not a fukkin dude... he's just a guy who has a good skillset and he has quirks that garner more attention to non-football Caleb.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, seantaylor=god said:

thanks for sharing.

I agree he seems smart and confident. He also reminds me of RG3, in that I’m not sure how much of it is actually real.

...no pressure, no diamonds....

- Bobby 3 sticks

53 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Agree here. It’s an even bigger concern for me because he “crouches” a lot in the pocket as well in anticipation of moving off his spot to avoid the rush. This crouching makes him even smaller in the pocket than he should be. I think this will be an issue that will need to be coached out of him once he gets to the league. 

57 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

In comparison to the other top 3 guys, his X factor is his size.  

In general though, I think his X factor is his deep ball, which I view as elite. 

I would also view his ability to excel in structure as a significant strength over the other guys.  

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Agree here. But one great year can be all you need to succeed in the NFL. See Burrow for the most recent example. Though that is one reason I have Daniels ranked a tier below the other two. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

I am actually going to bow out if this debate. Be honest with yourselves and go watch Caleb Williams tape. He is so far ahead of anyone else in this draft on the field. Now the mental part isnt my thing. But I would literally give up my next 3 drafts for Caleb Williams.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1