Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I guess, but we could have just drafted them anyway albeit slightly higher. 

Trades don't happen in a vacuum. You move back, get a lesser caliber player in one round but accumulate more overall players.

That's how the trade back game works.

Having said that, I think there are guys you want to draft, but you need to be smart, too.

If, for instance, Alt, Fashanu, Maye and Bowers are available at our pick (let's say 4 for arguments sake)...

And you get an offer to move back to 6 for a first and a third...

Why wouldn't you take that?

There are four players there that are solid, and most likely the QB is gone by the time we pick at #6. That leaves 2 of Alt, Fashanu and Bowers on the board.

It's never black and white. Event + Reaction = Outcome. Have to let the event happen before we can react. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Trades don't happen in a vacuum. You move back, get a lesser caliber player in one round but accumulate more overall players.

That's how the trade back game works.

Having said that, I think there are guys you want to draft, but you need to be smart, too.

If, for instance, Alt, Fashanu, Maye and Bowers are available at our pick (let's say 4 for arguments sake)...

And you get an offer to move back to 6 for a first and a third...

Why wouldn't you take that?

There are four players there that are solid, and most likely the QB is gone by the time we pick at #6. That leaves 2 of Alt, Fashanu and Bowers on the board.

It's never black and white. Event + Reaction = Outcome. Have to let the event happen before we can react. 

I don't disagree. I'm saying I wouldn't trade down just for the sake of trading down. There has to be good value but I also would not pass up on blue chip players.

Like if Harrison jr is at our pick, it would take a LOT for me to move off him. 

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I don't disagree. I'm saying I wouldn't trade down just for the sake of trading down. There has to be good value but I also would not pass up on blue chip players.

Like if Harrison jr is at our pick, it would take a LOT for me to move off him. 

Yup. The reason I don't love playing the scenario game is we would talk around every scenario all day long.

To me, a trade back is always on the table. As is staying pat. Which we do and the way I'd specifically handle it is really only something I can assess in real time. 

Just now, KDawg said:

Yup. The reason I don't love playing the scenario game is we would talk around every scenario all day long.

To me, a trade back is always on the table. As is staying pat. Which we do and the way I'd specifically handle it is really only something I can assess in real time. 

Hell I don't even mind trading UP. We need blue chip, game changing talent.

Like if Harrison jr is two spots away, and we can move up for one of our 2nd rounders to secure him, I have to think about it. That guy can change your offense instantly.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Hell I don't even mind trading UP. We need blue chip, game changing talent.

Like if Harrison jr is two spots away, and we can move up for one of our 2nd rounders to secure him, I have to think about it. That guy can change your offense instantly.

With the Commanders current roster, I am just not built for this type of a move. I hate putting so much into a single player with the dearth of talent. I'd rather spread the wealth.

Of course the most important part is the new regime have great scouting and a proper plan that the whole organization is on board with.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, djpapeleta360 said:

What you guys think of Jayden Daniel's if Howell doesn't work out. This guy is scary to defend against and would love to see him in. Shanahan pistol system his first year.

I don't like that he's already 22 and turns 23 in December.

Just for comparison, Howell is the same age(a couple months older). And he's already been in the league two years.

I like my draft prospects younger. Preferably under 22. That extra year or two is massive for development and you want those years to be in the NFL so you can maximize the prime window.

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

With the Commanders current roster, I am just not built for this type of a move. I hate putting so much into a single player with the dearth of talent. I'd rather spread the wealth.

Of course the most important part is the new regime have great scouting and a proper plan that the whole organization is on board with.

I'm not saying I'd mortgage the future and trade 3 #1 picks, but you win in the NFL with elite, blue chip, game changing talent. One of those is worth more than three pretty good players.

• Like 1

I don't see it with Alt.  I don't understand why he's considered a top ten pick.  To me he looks like a short armed leaner who isn't particularly flexible, fast, or powerful.  Or physical.  He reminds me of Blake Freeland.  Not as baby **** soft, but also not as fast.  Back end of the first, OK maybe.  But top ten feels crazy high to me.  I'm not interested in Mike McGlinchey 2.0.

4 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I don't see it with Alt.  I don't understand why he's considered a top ten pick.  To me he looks like a short armed leaner who isn't particularly flexible, fast, or powerful.  Or physical.  He reminds me of Blake Freeland.  Not as baby **** soft, but also not as fast.  Back end of the first, OK maybe.  But top ten feels crazy high to me.  I'm not interested in Mike McGlinchey 2.0.

He’s OT3 for me right now, I’m just going off the big boards for more of a general conversation . 

And I haven’t really started watching in depth yet, I could see him being OT5.

He is a solid player who is probably going to be decent at worst in the NFL but he’s just not explosive. Fashanu and Fuaga are my favorites right now.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

He’s OT3 for me right now, I’m just going off the big boards for more of a general conversation . 

And I haven’t really started watching in depth yet, I could see him being OT5.

He is a solid player who is probably going to be decent at worst in the NFL but he’s just not explosive. Fashanu and Fuaga are my favorites right now.

I want the 2 FU's also!!! Now that's the best way to kick a new offense off!

Also if we go T, get a guy who is actually gonna be a T, and if he's a RT just keep him at RT and let him dominate that position.

I don't wanna draft a T who ends up having to play G. Not that we don't need a G, but it just isn't ideal asset utilization.

With a prime pick like a top 10(possibly top 5)you wanna hit on a prime position. QB/WR/LT/Edge(although I wanna go offense).

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't like that he's already 22 and turns 23 in December.

Just for comparison, Howell is the same age(a couple months older). And he's already been in the league two years.

I like my draft prospects younger. Preferably under 22. That extra year or two is massive for development and you want those years to be in the NFL so you can maximize the prime window.

I'm not saying I'd mortgage the future and trade 3 #1 picks, but you win in the NFL with elite, blue chip, game changing talent. One of those is worth more than three pretty good players.

Wow I didn't look up his age. I had the same feeling about Hendon Hooker this last draft with his age.

Also not seeing it with Latu.  He's a high motor try hard with good instincts and sub par tools.  He's not fast, strong, or bendy.  So many plays where he just falls off tackles on unblocked looks.  Jared Verse sends guys to the underworld on opportunities like that.

His production is off the charts, but I don't think most of it will translate.  NFL edge success is so heavily dictated by power and speed and length, I think Latu's ceiling is low.

19 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Also if we go T, get a guy who is actually gonna be a T, and if he's a RT just keep him at RT and let him dominate that position.

I don't wanna draft a T who ends up having to play G. Not that we don't need a G, but it just isn't ideal asset utilization.

With a prime pick like a top 10(possibly top 5)you wanna hit on a prime position. QB/WR/LT/Edge(although I wanna go offense).

I would be willing to move a RT to LT if a new staff thinks that player is cut out for it. Trent was a RT in college. 

I would absolutely be willing to trade back into rd 1 if there is a second tackle there who they think can be a year 1 guard (although the issue with that strategy is tackles tend to be taller and we ideally need shorter guards for Sam)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, method man said:

I would be willing to move a RT to LT if a new staff thinks that player is cut out for it. Trent was a RT in college. 

I would absolutely be willing to trade back into rd 1 if there is a second tackle there who they think can be a year 1 guard (although the issue with that strategy is tackles tend to be taller and we ideally need shorter guards for Sam)

I like the idea of packaging some combo of our 2nd/3rd round picks to move back into the 1st to grab a highly rated guy who falls. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I guess, but we could have just drafted them anyway albeit slightly higher. 

We definitely could have just drafted Howell higher, say with our third or fourth round pick.   In order to draft Brian Robinson higher we would have had to reach.  We got him with a compensatory third round pick.  However that year we did not have a normal third round pick because of the Carson Wentz trade, which means we would have had to take him at 47, which would have been a reach.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I like the idea of packaging some combo of our 2nd/3rd round picks to move back into the 1st to grab a highly rated guy who falls. 

Unlike the Snyder era where he got cheap on cash salaries to pay annually, I get the sense Harris will want to be aggressive in FA and play the same games with the cap Philly, NO and others play. All this means is I expect fewer position needs going into the draft and that also means we can be aggressive there as well going quality over quantity if we choose to do so