George Michael 

Willie Nelson

Rage Against the Machine 

Sound Garden 

Spinners 

Tribe Called Quest 

The White Stripes

Warren Zevon

Glad the Spinners are finally getting some recognition, but it would have been better when the founders were still alive. There’s always issues with these nominations, but how does Kate Bush, Missy Elliott, Cyndi Lauper and Sheryl Crow get nominated and after all these years Barry White still hasn’t been inducted? 

31 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

How the **** isn't Willie Nelson in there already?  How the **** isn't Iron Maiden in there already?  That's like not having Nolan Ryan in the baseball Hall of Fame.

Because he’s country and they have their own hall of fames. But where do you draw the line? Last year they inducted Dolly Parton, why not induct Alabama, The Oak Ridge Boys and Kenny Rogers? 

Just now, No Nonsense said:

Because he’s country and they have their own hall of fames. But where do you draw the line? Last year they inducted Dolly Parton, why not induct Alabama, The Oak Ridge Boys and Kenny Rogers? 

I'm drawing the line at a national treasure like Willie Nelson not being in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.  Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is just a name, they've got all sorts of acts from different types of popular music in there.  Country doesn't have anything to do with it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm drawing the line at a national treasure like Willie Nelson not being in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.  Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is just a name, they've got all sorts of acts from different types of popular music in there.  Country doesn't have anything to do with it.

I don’t necessarily know how to explain it, but country, opera and pop music has always been in a different category of music than R&B/soul, rock and heavy metal. That’s why you don’t see Pavarotti, Frank Sinatra and Kenny Rogers in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. 

1 minute ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Ozzy Osborne ain't even in as a solo act n yall debating Kenny, Dolly, n Willie being in. 🤓

It’s hard to explain. Diana Ross isn’t in as a solo act either, but somehow Ringo Starr is. 

• Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, No Nonsense said:

It’s hard to explain. Diana Ross isn’t in as a solo act either, but somehow Ringo Starr is. 

It's not hard to explain.

The Rock N Roll Hall of Fame is a cool museum and if anyone ever finds themselves near Cleveland they should go.  But as a "Hall of Fame" it kind of sucks because there's no real way to quantify art and say who should be in and who should be out.  How's Willie Nelson not in?  He's a living legend, you can't tell the story of country music without him.  Same with Diana Ross, you can't tell the story of R&B without her.  How's Iron Maiden not in?  Can't tell the story of heavy metal without them.  They're cornerstones.  And we can go back and forth about the name "Rock N Roll Hall of Fame" and debate what genres of music that umbrella should cover but the facts are there are country stars, R&B singers and metal stars already enshrined.  

This isn't like arguing if a running back has enough yards and touchdowns compared to others to seek entrance into Canton or if someone has enough hits and homers to warrant an induction into Cooperstown.  No, this is akin to having a Painter's Hall of Fame and saying Rembrant is a first ballot hall of famer but Salvador Dali is not.  

17 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Hip hop needs its own hall of fame, because there is nothing rock and roll about A Tribe Called Quest, or Missy Elliott for that matter.

I think we need to be past taking the "Rock and Roll" part too literally.  They've been rather loose with it from the beginning.  It's a museum of popular music more than anything about a specific genre.  Go back and look at the first inductee classes, lot of non-rock and roll.  Ray Charles, Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson, etc.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I think we need to be past taking the "Rock and Roll" part too literally.  They've been rather loose with it from the beginning.  It's a museum of popular music more than anything about a specific genre.  Go back and look at the first inductee classes, lot of non-rock and roll.  Ray Charles, Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson, etc.

Yep, very true...and considering what "Rock and Roll' was derived from, it's a bit silly for there to be some concern over including R&B and country acts lol. Missy Elliott has had a HUGE influence on modern music, would be kinda silly for anyone to claim she doesn't deserve to be considered for the R&R HOF because she doesn't sound like the Beach Boys or Led Zeppelin.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Yep, very true...and considering what "Rock and Roll' was derived from, it's a bit silly for there to be some concern over including R&B and country acts lol. Missy Elliott has had a HUGE influence on modern music, would be kinda silly for anyone to claim she doesn't deserve to be considered for the R&R HOF because she doesn't sound like the Beach Boys or Led Zeppelin.

I have absolutely no problem with artist like Missy Elliot getting in, my only gripe is they’re jumping over artist that are just, or if not more, worthy. Eminem and Missy Elliot gets in on their first ballet, while Barry White who was very instrumental in disco and made hits into the 90’s, is still waiting. I don’t believe Cher has even been inducted. Kool and the Gang? 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, No Nonsense said:

I have absolutely no problem with artist like Missy Elliot getting in, my only gripe is they’re jumping over artist that are just, or if not more, worthy. Eminem and Missy Elliot gets in on their first ballet, while Barry White who was very instrumental in disco and made hits into the 90’s, is still waiting. I don’t believe Cher has even been inducted. Kool and the Gang? 

I felt the same way about putting the Go-Gos in before Pat Benatar (not sure either one should be in, to be honest lol...but Pat deserved it more than the Go-Gos).

22 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I felt the same way about putting the Go-Gos in before Pat Benatar (not sure either one should be in, to be honest lol...but Pat deserved it more than the Go-Gos).

The Go-Gos are the first all female rock band to hit #1 and they were 100% legit as players and writers.  Massively influential in a way that Benatar can’t quite match.  Even though LOVE IS A BATTLEFIELD ISTHE GREATEST SONG OF ALL TIME.

• Thumb up 1