Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NPR: As its only remaining elected officials depart, Haiti reaches a breaking point

China

As its only remaining elected officials depart, Haiti reaches a breaking point

Haiti, a country long beset by catastrophe and political turmoil, is facing perhaps its steepest challenge in recent decades as its piecemeal government, now lacking any democratically elected officials, struggles to chart a path forward amid gang violence and a cholera outbreak.

The constitutional mandate of Haiti's de facto ruler, Prime Minister Ariel Henry — which some viewed as questionable from the start, as he was never technically sworn in — ended more than a year ago.

The country has had no president since its last one, Jovenel Moïse, was assassinated in 2021. Its Senate is supposed to have 30 members, and its lower legislative chamber should have 119; all of those seats are unfilled. Haiti's elected mayors were all reappointed or replaced in 2020.

And last week, its 10 remaining senators departed office after their terms ended, leaving behind a nation's worth of elected offices that now sit empty after years of canceled elections.

"The situation is catastrophic," said Robert Fatton, a Haitian-born political scientist at the University of Virginia. "It would not be an exaggeration to say that the current crisis is one of the most severe crises that Haiti has ever confronted."

The country of 12 million people last held national elections in 2016. In the years since, the turmoil — political and otherwise — has been relentless.

Gang violence has displaced more than 150,000 people from their homes and forced aid groups such as Doctors Without Borders to close facilities and relocate staff. A new outbreak of cholera is suspected to have infected nearly 25,000 Haitians since October. In 2021, an earthquake killed 2,000 people and wrought new devastation to a part of the country that had been hit just five years before by a Category 5 hurricane.

Rampant inflation has sent the cost of food and gas spiraling; food insecurity is so widespread that about 40% of the population do not have enough to eat. And the disasters have combined to keep thousands of the country's schools closed, meaning millions of Haitian children have lacked steady education and meals since the beginning of the pandemic.

Click on the link for the full article

For reference, I posted a couple of videos about this a while back:

I'm surprised this isn't bigger news.  Apparently nobody cares about Haiti.

Senators’ departure leaves Haiti without an elected government

Haiti, beset by horrific gang violence, record hunger and another outbreak of cholera, has suffered a new blow: the end of democratically elected government.

Having failed to hold legislative elections in 2019, this Caribbean nation lost its last 10 senators this month when their terms expired.

That’s left the country of 11 million without a president — that office has been vacant since the assassination of Jovenel Moïse 18 months ago — or a parliament. The national government, such as it is, is run by Ariel Henry, an appointed prime minister who has yet to set a date for elections, who is accused by opponents of being a dictator — and might have been involved in Moïse’s killing.

“We made a huge step backward,” said Dunois Erick Cantave, a member of the Montana Accord, a powerful opposition group made up of civil society groups and political figures. “In Haiti today, democracy is an empty word.”

But the departure of the people’s last elected representatives is a new low. The breakdown of constitutional order comes as the international community is mulling a controversial request by Henry for armed foreign intervention to restrain the gang violence that has killed thousands, displaced tens of thousands and hindered the delivery of critical humanitarian aid to some of the hemisphere’s poorest people.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

This is literally the first I've heard of it.  I'll check out the Youtube videos you posted.  No idea what any solutions might be. 

International community should consider giving resources to Dominican Republic to jus annex Haiti.

The two countries share the same island, yet one half is the most popular tourist destination in the Caribbean and the other is a borderline post-apocalyptic wasteland.

Edited by Renegade7

Can't think of a more destitute country than Haiti. Living there must be hell. No jobs, no food, no infrastructure, no sanitation. Sad. 

I don't really know what the answer is either other than mass philanthropy. Try building some housing and bring together the most educated and experienced Haitians in an attempt to form a working government. Then maybe some businesses will want to move in and provide some jobs.  Send some farmers and experts in agriculture and attempt to grow whatever crops will grow in that climate so people can eat.

Just read a short article about the UN possibly sending a security task force to help combat the gangs and human rights violations.  I think that is a good start.

Edited by abdcskins

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

International community should consider giving resources to Dominican Republic to jus annex Haiti.

The two countries share the same island, yet one half is the most popular tourist destination in the Caribbean and the other is a borderline post-apocalyptic wasteland.

In general, due primarily to colorism, Dominicans consider themselves superior to Haitians. I wouldn't say the two countries hate each other, but they have a very problematic history and totally different languages and cultures so there's no way in hell that I could see them as a united country.

I used to date a woman from Haiti. They're wonderful, proud people, but IMO they were screwed from the beginning by being made a pariah state by the slaveholding countries, which meant they never industrialized, and an elite that essentially wanted to replace French colonial despotic rule with Haitian despotic rule. The latter endures to this day. If you get a chance, read The Dew Breaker and The Farming of Bones by Edwidge Danticat. Both are incredible novels that also provide some background into Haitian history.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Sisko said:

In general, due primarily to colorism, Dominicans consider themselves superior to Haitians. I wouldn't say the two countries hate each other, but they have a very problematic history and totally different languages and cultures so there's no way in hell that I could see them as a united country.

I used to date a woman from Haiti. They're wonderful, proud people, but IMO they were screwed from the beginning by being made a pariah state by the slaveholding countries, which meant they never industrialized, and an elite that essentially wanted to replace French colonial despotic rule with Haitian despotic rule. The latter endures to this day. If you get a chance, read The Dew Breaker and The Farming of Bones by Edwidge Danticat. Both are incredible novels that also provide some background into Haitian history.

I see...yea, I noticed last night on wikipedia that at some point Haiti invaded and occupied Dominican Republic under claim to unite the island and protect against re-enslavement by the Europeans...

1763299742_giphy(57).gif.bc2ea213c6b5a7f3fba75cef292218a0.gif

Same time this is jus as bad a power vacuum as we've see  in any other government collapse in modern history...and something is going to fill it.

The history and bad blood between the two countries may be too much for true unification anytime soon, but Dominican Republic shouldnt do nothing then start complaining about having something becoming similar to Somalia sharing Hispanola with them.

There's apparently a group of educators, religious leaders, law enforcement, civic leaders, etc, who are working together to form a draft framework for how the country's system should be set up going forward with the promise that none of the people involved will take any leadership role in the new government.  

Also talks of some type of UN peacekeeping troop involvement (but given the very problematic Western involvement in Haiti, parties are concerned with how the logistics would work).

I don't know what the solution is, but I hope Haiti and the international community can work together to figure it out asap.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I see...yea, I noticed last night on wikipedia that at some point Haiti invaded and occupied Dominican Republic under claim to unite the island and protect against re-enslavement by the Europeans...

1763299742_giphy(57).gif.bc2ea213c6b5a7f3fba75cef292218a0.gif

Same time this is jus as bad a power vacuum as we've see  in any other government collapse in modern history...and something is going to fill it.

The history and bad blood between the two countries may be too much for true unification anytime soon, but Dominican Republic shouldnt do nothing then start complaining about having something becoming similar to Somalia sharing Hispanola with them.

The Haitian invasionS, (plural) of the DR, the perejil massacre and more recently, the racist Tя☭mp-like expulsions of Haitians, many of whom were actually Dominican citizens, makes any kind of rule by the DR a non-starter for both sides. Some kind of internationally sanctioned DR rule would almost certainly require more freedom of movement and rights for Haitian workers. There are too many well-off people in the DR that profit from an illegal, and hence cheap and easily exploited Haitian workforce to allow it. Now where have we seen that before?🤔 If you look at how the DR sidestepped their garbage constitution to get around birthright citizenship and deport Dominicans with Haitian roots, it's obvious something like that isn't going to happen. Hell, based on the prior U.S. occupation, many Haitians don't want 'Muricuns to come in either, no matter how bad things are. Now, think about how occupation/rule by Spanish speaking racists would be seen. Moreover, imagine how the Dominicans would treat the Haitians under their rule.

I'm hoping the U.N. can work something out but without fixing the structural problems of Haitian society it will probably only be a bandaid. As for the DR, they really should have been sanctioned for what they did. We've been there once and it was conspicuous how many blacks, whether Haitian or Dominican-born were there doing menial labor. I'd eat dirt before I'd ever go there again or patronize any Dominican businesses in this country.

• Thumb up 1

Haitian gangs' gruesome murders of police spark protests as calls mount for U.S., Canada to intervene

Outraged rebel police officers paralyzed Port-au-Prince on Thursday, roaring through the streets on motorcycles in protest of a slew of killings of police officers by Haitian gangs. More than a hundred protesters blocked roads, shot guns into the air, and broke through gates in the capital's airport and the prime minister's house, with tensions escalating throughout the day.

Gangs have killed at least 10 officers in the past week; another is missing and one more has severe bullet wounds, according to the Haitian National Police.

Video circulating social media — likely recorded by gangs — shows the naked and bloodied bodies of six men stretched out on the dirt, their guns laying on their chests. Another video shows two masked men who are smoking cigarettes from the dismembered hands and feet of the dead men.

The gang that killed the police officers, known as Gan Grif, still has the bodies, police said.

The wave of grisly killings of police is only the latest example of escalating violence in the Caribbean nation, which has been gripped by gang wars and political chaos following the 2021 assassination of President Jovenel Moise. His unelected successor as head of the government, Prime Minister Ariel Henry, has asked the United Nations to lead a military intervention, but no country has been willing to put boots on the ground.

The U.N. estimates that 60% of Port-au-Prince is controlled by the gangs. On the streets of the capital, Haitians say it's more like 100%.

This week, the U.N. special envoy for Haiti urged the American and Canadian governments to lead an international armed force to help Haiti combat the gangs.

The U.S. Embassy in Haiti tweeted Thursday afternoon asking for calm, and U.S. Ambassador Brian Nichols, Assistant Secretary for Western Hemisphere Affairs, in a message on his own Twitter account, condemned the gang violence that left the officers dead, repeated the call for calm and extend his condolences to the families of the slain officers.

Embassador Brian Nichols seen here:

animal-house-kevin-bacon.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Canada to send warships to Haiti over gang violence

Canada will send navy vessels to Haiti for intelligence-gathering, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Thursday.

Trudeau made the announcement in the Bahamas at the annual meeting of the Caricom trading bloc, which includes 15 countries in the Caribbean.

"Right now, Haiti is confronted with unrelenting gang violence, political turmoil and corruption," Trudeau said. "Now is the moment to come together to confront the severity of this situation."

Trudeau said Canada and Haiti's neighbors need to find long-lasting solutions to restore security and allow for the flow of essential aid.

• 1 month later...

Florida couple has been kidnapped in Haiti and remain held at ransom, family says

A Florida couple has been kidnapped in Haiti and remains captive under ransom demands, family members say, who are asking for help and pressuring US officials to find them.

Abigail and Jean-Dickens Toussaint, both 33, were kidnapped on March 18 around Port-au-Prince, the nation’s capital, according to a statement from their families provided to CNN.

“Please share this and get the word out as much as you can,” the statement says, hoping the two return safe “to their child and family.”

A US State Department spokesperson told CNN they are “aware of reports of two U.S. citizens missing in Haiti.”

“When a U.S. citizen is missing, we work closely with local authorities as they carry out their search efforts, and we share information with families however we can,” the spokesperson said. “We have nothing further to share at this time.”

• 4 months later...

US State Department orders departure of non-emergency personnel from Haiti

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/28/politics/us-advisory-non-emergency-departure-haiti

Apparently things have not gotten any better. What a horrible situation, I feel so bad for any child who has to grow up in that country infested by poverty and violence.

The world needs to come together and provide some sort of stability. At the very least build some housing and send food, a tiny band aid I realize but geez people are living in hell.

1 hour ago, abdcskins said:

US State Department orders departure of non-emergency personnel from Haiti

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/28/politics/us-advisory-non-emergency-departure-haiti

Apparently things have not gotten any better. What a horrible situation, I feel so bad for any child who has to grow up in that country infested by poverty and violence.

The world needs to come together and provide some sort of stability. At the very least build some housing and send food, a tiny band aid I realize but geez people are living in hell.

I have doubts that nations that far gone with organized crime so deeply dug in can be fixed without extreme actions. Is there an example of a country that was essentially ruled by organized crime, that has come out of it without enraging the human rights groups? No one wants any part of that.

Their best bet is to leave. Put that failed state in the rear view mirror and go essentially anywhere else. Go to any state that isn’t a total disaster and give future generations a chance. 

Need to have an honest conversation about an International "Human Right to Move to Another Country"...

The current system doesn't really support this...not the way migrants are drowning in Europe or what folks go through in order to get to the US.

Case can be made the entire country of Haiti should be eligible for asylum...imagine the visceral reaction from the rest of the International community, I'm only takin so many or we shouldn't be taken any at all...

Edited by Renegade7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Haiti’s leader to resign as gangs run rampant through country engulfed in crisis

The embattled prime minister of Haiti, Ariel Henry, has said he will resign after weeks of mounting chaos in the Caribbean nation, where gangs have been attacking government structures and social order is on the brink of collapse.

Henry said in a video address late Monday that his government would leave power after the establishment of a transitional council, adding, “Haiti needs peace. Haiti needs stability.”

“My government will leave immediately after the inauguration of the council. We will be a caretaker government until they name a prime minister and a new cabinet,” Henry said.

Henry’s adviser Jean Junior Joseph told CNN that Henry would remain in his role until the formation of a new interim government.

The Caribbean Community and Common Market (CARICOM), meeting in Jamaica on Monday said it had agreed to set up a transitional council to lay the foundations for elections in Haiti.

Jimmy ‘Barbecue’ Cherizier: The former cop-turned-gang leader bringing Haiti to its knees

US embassy says it is halting all official travel to the country and urges American citizens to leave

Haiti’s prime minister Ariel Henry said he was resigning amid mounting international pressure following gang violence that has pushed the capital to the brink of civil war.

Mr Henry faced calls to resign from Haitian gang leaders who have taken control of capital Port-au-Prince, keeping the prime minister stranded outside the country.

Heavily armed gangs have tried to seize control of Haiti’s main international airport, exchanging gunfire with police and soldiers in the latest attack on key government sites.

An explosion of violence has taken place in the country, including a mass escape from the country’s prisons.

Jimmy ‘Barbecue’ Cherizier, a former elite police officer who now runs a gang federation, has claimed responsibility for the surge in attacks.

The Toussaint Louverture International Airport was closed when the attack occurred, with no planes operating and no passengers on site. It is the biggest attack on the airport in Haiti’s history.

A breakthrough has come with Mr Henry’s resignation after the Caribbean Community regional bloc, Caricom, held urgent meeting of Caribbean leaders late on Monday in Jamaica. It was also attended by officials including US secretary of state Antony Blinken.

“The government that I’m running cannot remain insensitive in front of this situation. There is no sacrifice that is too big for our country,” Mr Henry said in a video statement. “The government I’m running will remove itself immediately after the installation of the council.”

Last week, the airport was struck briefly by bullets amid ongoing gang attacks, but gangs did not enter the airport nor seize control of it.

• 2 weeks later...

YouTuber kidnapped in Haiti with £475k ransom after looking for Barbecue interview

A YouTube and Twitch star has reportedly been kidnapped by criminals in Haiti after trying to interview notorious gang leader Jimmy 'Barbecue' Cherizier.

Local news outlet Haiti24 reports American citizen Addison Pierre Maalouf, known online as YourFellowArab, was kidnapped in the area of Croix-des-Bouquets.

The 400 Mawozo gang is said to be responsible. The group is led by Joseph Wilson (known as Lanmò San Jou, meaning "death has no appointed time").

Wilson's mob previously kidnapped 16 American missionaries and one Canadian in 2021. He threatened to kill those hostages in a video while dressed as Bawon Samdi, the spirit of the dead in Haitian Vodou (sometimes spelled Voodoo).

Maalouf had reportedly been visiting Delmas 6, a region in the capital Port-au-Prince, to interview Barbecue.