Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Monday Night Game Night Thread: Washington at Philly - Heinicke's Last Stand, Wentz if it Hurts

TK
Message added by TK,

1520763020_ScreenShot2022-11-14at11_09_58PM.thumb.png.f702b5530a184659b9ace0bd422e8112.png

1 minute ago, Peregrine said:

Man, great performance again from two of the most maligned in Washignton, TH and JDR just outplayed/outcoached them.    Couple huge fumbles forced by the D at clutch spots and the team is one play away from having a 5 game winning streak.

and how about Da Jooce?

Dude has the build of Bree and Richard Sherman... long and bigness.  a lot of scrapping, some getting called, but getting away with stuff most of the time.  is he starting to become a lockdown corner?  Javonte didnt eat too much tonight, right?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I agree, which is why I wanted them to get a real QB and throw the ball 40 times a game in the off-season.

But that's not what we have.  So, shrug, we'll have to play 1950's football and hope it works.

At least @TradeTheBeal! will be happy with all the running.  And that's something, right? 

So at what point does winning of the 4 of 5 last games go from "hope it works" to "doing"?

You are so miserable anytime the team wins with the guys you dont prefer.

2 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

He said that you can't get long term success out of tonight's gameplan these days. Which is right. This is one game out of 17. We and many other teams would be doing it every week if it worked for an entire season.

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I said it's not a recipe for long term success in the modern NFL and you responded by pointing to one game.

Last year on our 4 games winning streak we also ran the ball more (6 more running plays per game) to win those games. Doesn't have to be purely just run on every snap. But more of it is what I am saying. It would have worked last week as well if they had stayed to running more when we are up. Okay compromise then: run the ball more if we are up by score or two. 

• Thumb up 1

By the way, I wrote in the prediction thread that I hoped Ron would be uber aggressive and he finally was in this game. 

Besides going for it on a couple fourth down plays, a perfect example was the possession right before half. How many times in the past would we have just taken a knee especially with a lead. Not tonight! That 58 yarder by Slye was huge. I could hear a bit of an energy leave the stadium after that kick. Definitely a feeling from Eagles fans saying oh oh there goes our undefeated season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, zCommander said:

Last year on our 4 games winning streak we also ran the ball more (6 more running plays per game) to win those games. Doesn't have to be purely just run on every snap. But more of it is what I am saying. It would have worked last week as well if they had stayed to running more when we are up. Okay compromise then: run the ball more if we are up by score or two. 

So in a 17 game schedule, you're pointing at a 4 game winning streak and saying that's long term success?

1 minute ago, zCommander said:

And in the games after which we lost, we wanted to run the ball and tried, but we couldn't. Those teams basically shut down the run and made us try to beat them through the air, which we couldn't.

That's why I'm saying it's not a long term path to success, because a lot of things have to go right, like they did tonight. The run game has to work, the defense has to play well and/or get some turnovers, and you have to get some lucky bounces.

So we're basically a one dimensional team. If one of those things doesn't click, then we're in trouble. They all clicked tonight, but that's not going to be the case every week.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

So in a 17 game schedule, you're pointing at a 4 game winning streak and saying that's long term success?

Guys who cares?  We are currently not a team who is gonna put up 40 points a game. We are gonna play close games probably each and every game. Running the ball wears down a defense. Period!  Just about every offensive lineman prefer to run block and impose their will on the defense. That’s what we need and will do the rest of this season. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, mistertim said:

And in the games after which we lost, we wanted to run the ball and tried, but we couldn't. Those teams basically shut down the run and made us try to beat them through the air, which we couldn't.

That's why I'm saying it's not a long term path to success, because a lot of things have to go right, like they did tonight. The run game has to work, the defense has to play well and/or get some turnovers, and you have to get some lucky bounces.

So we're basically a one dimensional team. If one of those things doesn't click, then we're in trouble. They all clicked tonight, but that's not going to be the case every week.

I thought the run game worked really well tonight. Will see if that is going to be our new game plan going forward for this season at least. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Guys who cares?  We are currently not a team who is gonna put up 40 points a game. We are gonna play close games probably each and every game. Running the ball wears down a defense. Period!  Just about every offensive lineman prefer to run block and impose their will on the defense. That’s what we need and will do the rest of this season. 

We ran the ball all the way through our winning streak and to the end of the season. We finished 1-4 after that 4 game streak. A one-dimensional offense can't win unless they're absolutely fantastic at that one dimension. The Titans are as close to perfect as you can get at running, they are currently floundering. We watched this movie last year, we already know how it ends.

Edited by NickyJ

Just now, zCommander said:

I thought the run game worked really well tonight. Will see if that is going to be our new game plan going forward for this season at least. 

Yes, that's my entire point. It worked well tonight, but it won't always work well. And when it doesn't (and/or our defense doesn't play great or force turnovers), we don't really have a backup plan because we're not going to beat teams through the air.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

and how about Da Jooce?

Dude has the build of Bree and Richard Sherman... long and bigness.  a lot of scrapping, some getting called, but getting away with stuff most of the time.  is he starting to become a lockdown corner?  Javonte didnt eat too much tonight, right?

Absolutely, I think if he was wearing a different jersey he'd have avoided several of the "penalties" hes gotten in recent weeks.  Hes been prototypical, and once refs see that enough maybe they start giving him the leeway some of the other corners seem to get.

Just now, skinsfan93 said:

You must not follow the NFL. Even with Tannehill out a couple games, they are in first place in their division at 6-3!

I stand corrected, I gave up on them after their 1-2 start and their benching of Tannehill. In this case, all we need is their O-Line and Derrick Henry.

• Haha 1