Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things PLAYOFFS 2022 Thread

kleese

14 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Impressive that this team has been on the cusp of being mediocre for over 3 decades.

From an overall perspective, this description is deceptive, and somewhat hides how bad its been.

The Skinmanders are fifth from the bottom in terms of number of games won in the past 30 seasons (post Gibbs 1). One of the teams below them, the Jags, have 11 less wins, but played in 32 less games (since they didn't join the league until 1995).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, zCommander said:

That is just a sour grapes mentality that I don't believe in. Giants don't belong in the playoff either but there they are anyway. 

People were saying during their losing streak , they would miss the playoffs. I thought they built up a big lead that all they needed was a couple of more wins.

They got it. Yeah, they will be one and done but they earned that privilege.

We earned Ron’s 3rd straight 7 win season.

Ron has built nothing.

Brian Daboll has the Giants in the playoffs in his first year. Dan Campbell has Lions on a cusp of the playoffs in year 2. Doug Pederson has Jags on cusp of playoffs in year 1; coming off the disaster of Urban Meyer.

What sucks, we have to endure Ron for one more year.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Brian Daboll has the Giants in the playoffs in his first year. Dan Campbell has Lions on a cusp of the playoffs in year 2. Doug Pederson has Jags on cusp of playoffs in year 1; coming off the disaster of Urban Meyer.

With Trevor Lawrence, Danny Dimes, or Jared Goff the Commanders would be in the playoffs. Instead we have Dip**** MaGee and The Moxie Experience. 🤣

Hopefully both are replaced this offseason. Tho Rivera n the Marty's will be doing the replacing. Not sure that's ideal.

Edited by Captain Wiggles
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

For fun (or torture) I wanted to see what the landscape would be had we won the game at Meadwolands instead of tied. My contention at the time was that the tie was unlikely to hurt us much— and was much better than a loss. And considering even after losing to Giants at home and at SF we still controlled our destiny, I’d say that was borne out. 

The other asterisk here is that once you change any result you can’t just assume future results would have all gone the same way. So after that Samuel run into Giant territory in OT— had we gone ahead and won the game right there— who knows what else happens. Maybe Giants collapse and we beat them in Washington as well and we waltz into playoffs. And I bet TH remains starter for sure. But let’s assume we win at Giants and then everything else goes exactly as it has. 

We would have a wild week 18 with the Packers, Lions, Seahawks, Giants, and Commanders all at 8-8 with two spots on the line. 

We will also assume the Lions and Packers don’t tie. 

I know that if we beat Dallas we’d for sure finish ahead of Giants. We’d also finish ahead of loser of Packers-Lions. If Green Bay won, we’d also finish ahead of them. I’m honestly not sure what the deal would be with Seattle because it would go all the way down to strength of victory tie-breaker. I THINK we win though because the Philly and Dallas wins would likely push us over. 

So I THINK we’d control our own destiny this week. And we could potentially even get in with a loss if Seattle and Giants also lost. 

But had we just won the tied game, I believe we’d control our destiny week 18 even with the subsequent three game losing streak. So… ouch. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kleese said:

For fun (or torture) I wanted to see what the landscape would be had we won the game at Meadwolands instead of tied. My contention at the time was that the tie was unlikely to hurt us much— and was much better than a loss. And considering even after losing to Giants at home and at SF we still controlled our destiny, I’d say that was borne out. 

The other asterisk here is that once you change any result you can’t just assume future results would have all gone the same way. So after that Samuel run into Giant territory in OT— had we gone ahead and won the game right there— who knows what else happens. Maybe Giants collapse and we beat them in Washington as well and we waltz into playoffs. And I bet TH remains starter for sure. But let’s assume we win at Giants and then everything else goes exactly as it has. 

We would have a wild week 18 with the Packers, Lions, Seahawks, Giants, and Commanders all at 8-8 with two spots on the line. 

We will also assume the Lions and Packers don’t tie. 

I know that if we beat Dallas we’d for sure finish ahead of Giants. We’d also finish ahead of loser of Packers-Lions. If Green Bay won, we’d also finish ahead of them. I’m honestly not sure what the deal would be with Seattle because it would go all the way down to strength of victory tie-breaker. I THINK we win though because the Philly and Dallas wins would likely push us over. 

So I THINK we’d control our own destiny this week. And we could potentially even get in with a loss if Seattle and Giants also lost. 

But had we just won the tied game, I believe we’d control our destiny week 18 even with the subsequent three game losing streak. So… ouch. 

Small things can have lasting consequences.

"For want of a shoe the rider was lost..."

53 minutes ago, kleese said:

Imagine if Taylor didnt hold onto that ball in Overtime or one of his passes were intercepted in the 4th quarter drive. We would still be surely out of it. 

Yeah that's the thing when you're a fringe mediocre team like we are. So many games are what ifs. We could have also easily lost the Falcons, Bears and Colts games. Even the Packers game came down to an iffy penalty that overturned a defensive TD. 

We're right where we deserve to be in all honesty.

19 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah that's the thing when you're a fringe mediocre team like we are. So many games are what ifs. We could have also easily lost the Falcons, Bears and Colts games. Even the Packers game came down to an iffy penalty that overturned a defensive TD. 

We're right where we deserve to be in all honesty.

No doubt, totally agree. We have a roster that is probably more like a 10-11 win roster with a solid/league average QB. But we do not have a solid/league average QB, therefore it's like Russian Roulette week to week-- sometimes we got the blank chamber. Late in the year... not so fortunate. 

I think people are over-blowing the motivation angle. It’s not like the Lions will prepare for the game all week, go through warm ups, get hyped, and then if Seattle wins, decide to just allow themselves to be run over on SNF. Actually if I am a GB fan I think I’d rather Seattle lose— then Detroit has same on line and thus same pressure. I think I’d rather that than to have Detroit relaxed and angry and play the game with an F it mentality. 

5 hours ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

Um... paging Mr @kleese  ......   

Just saw this— covered it in the other thread, but in the crazy scenario where this was the decision, we’d need a win and a Seahawks loss. The Packers-Lions game wouldn’t matter— I THINK I’d it ended in a tie, the Packers would be eliminated. So we’d need Seattle to lose. 

Again, it’s not always accurate to change an earlier outcome and then assume everything else would have gone as it did… for example, if we win last week, Wentz probably starts again this week, Lions-Packers isn’t SNF, etc etc. 

But just for kicks, one thing I think we can say with pretty clear clarity is that if we beat the Giants on SNF, we would have gotten in. That game felt big at the time and the loss was totally deflating. The defining game of the season. You can probably flip just about any other loss to a win and we’d be in as well. Same with the tie— change it to a win, and we likely get in. 

Alas, 8-8-1 is probably a pretty accurate reflection of who we were. 

Again, fun thread. Looked like Dallas was primed to get stomped today so it’s really a shame this game didn’t have anything on line. In January, September always seems really far away. Hopefully we get the news on the sale-front soon that we all want. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, kleese said:

Again, it’s not always accurate to change an earlier outcome and then assume everything else would have gone as it did… for example, if we win last week, Wentz probably starts again this week, Lions-Packers isn’t SNF, etc etc. 

But just for kicks, one thing I think we can say with pretty clear clarity is that if we beat the Giants on SNF, we would have gotten in. That game felt big at the time and the loss was totally deflating. The defining game of the season. You can probably flip just about any other loss to a win and we’d be in as well. Same with the tie— change it to a win, and we likely get in. 

Alas, 8-8-1 is probably a pretty accurate reflection of who we were. 

Again, fun thread. Looked like Dallas was primed to get stomped today so it’s really a shame this game didn’t have anything on line. In January, September always seems really far away. Hopefully we get the news on the sale-front soon that we all want. 

Agreed, after that tie to the giants even, I was bummed, thought immediately “well ****, now we BADLY need a win on SNF…..”. That was the series that I knew at the time was going to hurt our playoff chances.

always love these threads, @kleese!! It’s always more enjoyable talking about playoff chances in November and December than it is to talk about draft order in November and December. And you’re right, September to January does feel really far, but january to august/September, oof……..that feels really far, and it IS really far