Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

10 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Everyone calling Davis a bad pick, who would you have taken? What player in the back half of that draft is just killing it that makes us look stupid? It was a weak draft outside of QB and even looking back, he was probably the best player outside of maybe Najee and if we took a RB at 15 everyone would have lost their mind. There was no trade back options, what would have been a better move than the best LBer on the board?

I wanted Moehrig and that would have pissed everyone off too. Even though dudes awesome, people would have been ****ing about a safety that high, especially since he went 43.

Dickenson? We have one of the best Centers in the league. Asante? He went in the mid 40's too.

Bolton was the backer I wanted and he looks like a stud, but he went in the back of the 2nd. Would you rather have drafted Eisenburg in the first and Bolton instead of Davis and Cosmi? I doubt it.

Is he Lewis or a HoF backer in his second training camp? Nope. Mayo is taking the run downs? Shocking, since the dudes an old school MLB that is really really good against the run.

Even Zaven Collins didn't set the world on fire his rookie year. Parsons did and I get that that really stings, especially the year we took the next LBer, but chill out already with the bust talk.

It's typical of the whiners on this board though. **** about **** without ever having a better idea of what we could have done.

Agree with the patience point about J. Davis.  I spent a lot of time on him on the draft thread that year.  He wasn't my desire at 19, that was JOK by a mile, and Darrisaw was my backup.   But I got the logic to the pick.

My takeaway about Davis at the time was he's raw but his sideline to sideline open field tackling was really good.  Also had some sneaky pass rushing skill, not bad at coverage.

His weakness was diagnosing and that seemed natural for a one year college starting LB.  Also, more of an open field tackler IMO than a shed blocks type.  Hence he hit me more of an outside LB than inside-play caller type.  

Tough IMO to tell LB play in camp.  The preseason should be much more interesting.  Just judging by reports, I think if Davis needs to learn something its to make a decision and just go, stop hesitating from being afraid of guessing wrong.   

IMO none of our LBs are great blitzers.  I think Davis potentially could be one.  It's not that he blew me away watching him do it on occasion in college but he seemed good at it.  Late in the season they deployed him some that way and if I recall got a sack and a couple of QB pressures. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree with the patience point about J. Davis.  I spent a lot of time on him on the draft thread that year.  He wasn't my desire at 19, that was JOK by a mile, and Darrisaw was my backup.   But I got the logic to the pick.

My takeaway about Davis at the time was he's raw but his sideline to sideline open field tackling was really good.  Also had some sneaky pass rushing skill, not bad at coverage.

His weakness was diagnosing and that seemed natural for a one year college starting LB.  Also, more of an open field tackler IMO than a shed blocks type.  Hence he hit me more of an outside LB than inside-play caller type.  

Tough IMO to tell LB play in camp.  The preseason should be much more interesting.  Just judging by reports, I think if Davis needs to learn something its to make a decision and just go, stop hesitating from being afraid of guessing wrong.   

IMO none of our LBs are great blitzers.  I think Davis potentially could be one.  It's not that he blew me away watching him do it on occasion in college but he seemed good at it.  Late in the season they deployed him some that way and if I recall got a sack and a couple of QB pressures. 

In retrospect, Eric Stokes would have been the best pick.  You can never have enough good corners.

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Sapp is in camp in Commanders gear? 

What's his connection to our coaching staff? He played against Mills. Beat JDR in the SB. How does that happen?

I'm guessing Rivera just reached out to him to help motivate what was an underachieving unit last year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Everyone calling Davis a bad pick, who would you have taken? What player in the back half of that draft is just killing it that makes us look stupid? It was a weak draft outside of QB and even looking back, he was probably the best player outside of maybe Najee and if we took a RB at 15 everyone would have lost their mind. There was no trade back options, what would have been a better move than the best LBer on the board?

I wanted Moehrig and that would have pissed everyone off too. Even though dudes awesome, people would have been ****ing about a safety that high, especially since he went 43.

Dickenson? We have one of the best Centers in the league. Asante? He went in the mid 40's too.

Bolton was the backer I wanted and he looks like a stud, but he went in the back of the 2nd. Would you rather have drafted Eisenburg in the first and Bolton instead of Davis and Cosmi? I doubt it.

Is he Lewis or a HoF backer in his second training camp? Nope. Mayo is taking the run downs? Shocking, since the dudes an old school MLB that is really really good against the run.

Even Zaven Collins didn't set the world on fire his rookie year. Parsons did and I get that that really stings, especially the year we took the next LBer, but chill out already with the bust talk.

It's typical of the whiners on this board though. **** about **** without ever having a better idea of what we could have done.

Easy with the name calling, boss.

I think it is totally reasonable for fans to be upset if their team whiffs on a 1st rounder - a player who should be expected to at least be a solid starter with potential to reach all-pro play. 

I get that some folks are saying we all knew he was a reach and therefore it's not Davis' fault. In my view, that misses the point. I don't blame Davis - I blame the FO. We took him in the first which means our FO thought he was going to be a solid starter. If he isn't, to me that approaches bust territory and that's on the team.

BTW, your point about opportunity cost is compelling but I'd like to know who we missed out on by drafting Davis who at least is starting most/all downs, not necessarily crushing it a la Parsons.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Glad to see Dyami Brown back. Based on what I've read on this board and on Twitter from the beat reporters, mixed reviews but I think he could take a step this year.

"The Posse" is about to get  revived.... with an extra member!..

The potential of this WR group is even more exciting than the DL group.

Dad-gum I know better than to start making and drinking koolaid about this team, but the potential of Terry, Josh, Curtis and Dyami have me pretty stoked....

TO consider that we have Sims, Milne Erikson Harmon/Michel as depth and we are not considering starting them this year is pretty cool.

Somebody don't remind me that The Commanders are still the WFT?/Skins.... and let me slurp this kool-aid undisturbed!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

We definitely don’t have the worst QB on the NFC East. I’m actually really perplexed by NYs decision to stick with Danny Dimes. 

Eagles managed to trade a spare 2022 1st rounder for a 2023 1st, to give them better options in a better QB class. I heard the Giants also tried, but apparently not that hard.

They've had rumors about Jimmy G (quickly refuted by the team though), but maybe there's actually something there?

Just now, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Eagles managed to trade a spare 2022 1st rounder for a 2023 1st, to give them better options in a better QB class. I heard the Giants also tried, but apparently not that hard.

They've had rumors about Jimmy G (quickly refuted by the team though), but maybe there's actually something there?

It's getting a little late in the game to be adding a QB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CobraCommander said:

It's getting a little late in the game to be adding a QB.

Oh absolutely. In fairness though, Jimmy G's shoulder was only cleared recently. Still feels too late to start a "QB competition" for the Giants.

49 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Sapp is in camp in Commanders gear? 

What's his connection to our coaching staff? He played against Mills. Beat JDR in the SB. How does that happen?

Sapp was teammates with our GM for 2 years, and I think there's another connection I'm forgetting.

• Like 2