Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Passing game or Run game?

Reddskins1

Passing game or Run game should be the feature with the talent at QB we have now and the strong RB group we have and the WR group is pretty damn talented to? We all know balance is the best thing but that's not today's NFL... With what we have on offense I think we should air it out more which will open the run game more meaning more effective production offensively...What you think?

3 hours ago, Reddskins1 said:

Passing game or Run game should be the feature with the talent at QB we have now and the strong RB group we have and the WR group is pretty damn talented to? We all know balance is the best thing but that's not today's NFL... With what we have on offense I think we should air it out more which will open the run game more meaning more effective production offensively...What you think?

Good question and the answer is clearly to keep the opposition guessing from week to week. 

Some teams will have holes in their defense that are attacked by the air and some the ground. 

Some teams will have a hard time adjusting, so you split air and rush to keep them guessing. 

The days of being predictable need to be something of the past in today's NFL.

• Like 1

weird thing is...

AG was a famously converted college WR to RB. 

But yet, when I think of AG's plays... I dont recall him catching any passes.  Not even screen passes or dump offs.  I dont know that I've ever seen him him catch a Deebo-like tough catch downfield.

Is AG really a WR?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

weird thing is...

But yet, when I think of AG's plays... I dont recall him catching any passes.  Not even screen passes or dump offs.  I dont know that I've ever seen him him catch a Deebo-like tough catch downfield.

Is AG really a WR?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

On 5/28/2022 at 6:50 PM, petey hodge said:

weird thing is...

Is AG really a WR?

Split out wide is different. 

Out of the backfield, on 3rd downs you have to block and pickup blitzers which he is pretty terrible at. 

Depends. In the 80s, Gibbs' teams often were at the bottom in terms of pass attempts but were almost always near the top in terms of total yards passing with a lot of go routes and posts. Short passing was pretty much there only to bring the coverage down. I called that a real passing game as opposed to just replacing a your run game with 5-10 yard routes of the traditional WCO (I used to call that rassing). Norv Turner was also heavily focused on the run game but loved going for chunks in the pass game. Both like a run game combined with hitch routes to force the corners and safeties down to open up the deep routes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I want them to use both.  I think Wentz benefited from a good run game.  But I think this offense will have a better passing game than Indy.  So use both, but slightly more passing.

Can't argue with that reasoning...