Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Baltimore Orioles: New Owner, New Hope

DCSaints_fan

16 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Here is a crazy idea, trade Holliday now for a legit starting MLB pitcher and other assets.  If we want to win this year, we are going to need it.  I don't think Holliday is going to contribute much this year.

I know that is a wacky idea, so I don't really think it will happen.  Watching the kid hit though, I honestly have concerns regarding his long-term prospects.  

I suggested this before spring training. It would be crazy to trade him IF we didn't have the roster amd farm system we do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Keep him here and insert him in lower leverage spots.

People need to go take another look at Adley and Gunnar's stats from thier first month or two in the bigs. 

Gunnar actually come up and hit right away. Adley batted .180 in his first ten games, .241 in his next 22 games and .274 that June. 

It depends a little on if he is making loud outs or not but the biggest concern has to be 16K in 32 PA. I'd send him down to get regular ABs. 

39 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Here is a crazy idea, trade Holliday now for a legit starting MLB pitcher and other assets.  If we want to win this year, we are going to need it.  I don't think Holliday is going to contribute much this year.

I know that is a wacky idea, so I don't really think it will happen.  Watching the kid hit though, I honestly have concerns regarding his long-term prospects.  

It would have to be for a pitcher with 4 years of control and why would any team give that up?

Having said that, they are going to have some tough decisions to make regarding some of these prospects that are knocking on the door but are blocked. 

2 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

For what? He can hit AAA pitchers. He struggles with big league pitchers and there is only one place to practice that.

Because it will be better for the organization to have control over him in his age 26 season instead of burning one of his six seasons floundering. He’s had under 100 PAs in AAA. Most of them were last year when he had a sub .800 OPS.

That seems to be the main talking point on OH aka sending him down to AAA will do no good because he has already proven he can hit AAA pitchers.  Some also contend that AAA pitching is really weak.  I don't really know what the answer is frankly, because I don't think sending him up against major league pitching only to see him fail is all that beneficial.  At some point you need to instill some confidence.  

15 minutes ago, Hersh said:

It would have to be for a pitcher with 4 years of control and why would any team give that up?

Having said that, they are going to have some tough decisions to make regarding some of these prospects that are knocking on the door but are blocked. 

If a team wants to trade us any good starting MLB with even two years of control, I'd be fine with that.  Unless there is some hidden trade stipulation in his contract that I am unaware of.  Like for instance if the Diamondbacks wanted to trade us Zac Gallen (they would never do that, just picking a random pitcher) for Holliday straight up, I'd do that.

I agree at some point we need to trade some of these hitting prospects for some pitching, it makes no sense to stockpile all this talent if we can't play them all.  Mayo, Stowers, Norby, and Kjerstad are just rotting away in AAA.  At some point Bradfield is gonna deserve a shot too.  We need pitching, we don't even have that many quality arms in the farm system.  All our top prospects are hitters.

Edited by abdcskins
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I agree that the AAA pitching seems to be really bad. Some of the numbers being put up are laughable. But, if he is having any mechanics issues, he can straighten them out in AAA and it's good to see some hard hit baseballs regardless of the level when you are really struggling to make contact, let alone solid contact. 

It's really difficult to create lower leverage situations for hitters because it's difficult to PH later in a game and he's going to press until he starts hitting. 

• Like 1

Rutschman had some struggles early. Gunner was hot in sept of 2022 when he got a look, but had a slow start to 2023. Cowser was abysmal in 2023. 

As for Holiday -. I think the strikeouts are too high, but he's hit into some bad luck. Today is another day! 

25 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Rodriguez’ plan of throwing the ball directly over the middle of the plate is not working out tonight. Sheesh. 

Well if any saving grace, he hasn't allowed any "big innings".  Just lots of small ones...

33 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

That was more like a survival than a win,  but Kremer was solid until he ran into trouble in the 6th and got no help from the pen. He gpt some run support finally as well. 

Most O's teams over the past 30 years lose that type of game consistently

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 12:24 PM, SloppyOneXXVI said:

This road trip ends on Wednesday. If he's still floundering take a plane to Norfolk instead of Baltimore.

Just want to toot my own horn here. I finally got something right, please tell my wife.

• Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Assuming all of Henderson, Holliday, Westburg and can all play a legit SS, we might want to trade one anyway, on the principle they would be more valuable to another org than they would be us.  Plus we have Coby Mayo at 3B, although maybe they see him as a 1B, producing pretty well in Norfolk.

It is a good problem to have.  Holliday's value at this point is not optimal, as he hasn't proven he can hit major league pitching  to the extent Henderson and Westburg to some extent have.

9 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Assuming all of Henderson, Holliday, Westburg and can all play a legit SS, we might want to trade one anyway, on the principle they would be more valuable to another org than they would be us.  Plus we have Coby Mayo at 3B, although maybe they see him as a 1B, producing pretty well in Norfolk.

It is a good problem to have.  Holliday's value at this point is not optimal, as he hasn't proven he can hit major league pitching  to the extent Henderson and Westburg to some extent have.

Please tell me that you're not, in a roundabout way, giving up on our number one pick Holliday.