Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Baltimore Orioles: New Owner, New Hope

DCSaints_fan

On one hand, it's pretty cool that no matter what we will be playing far past the rest of the division. On the other hand, I'm pretty scared of Texas. That's the one team I feared the most (based on how we matched up in the regular season) in the AL playoffs. 

Even though Tampa was probably "better" than Texas, there's the comfort of familiarity with the Rays that you get when you play them 13 times that you just know you'll probably end up going 4-5 games. We'll see...I hope by the end of this weekend I'm laughing at myself about worrying for nothing because we're up 2-0 or the series is tied 1-1. 

Texas has a ****ty bullpen before they can bridge to Chapman...and Chapman isn't invincible like he used to be.  IIRC, it's like the 25th ranked bullpen in the majors.

Now, their starters showed up for Games 1 and 2 against Tampa, there's no doubt about that.  And they can thump, too.

But I like our chances if we can get into their bullpen a little bit.  And I think we can, our guys are pretty patient at the plate.  

9 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Texas has a ****ty bullpen before they can bridge to Chapman...and Chapman isn't invincible like he used to be.  IIRC, it's like the 25th ranked bullpen in the majors.

Now, their starters showed up for Games 1 and 2 against Tampa, there's no doubt about that.  And they can thump, too.

But I like our chances if we can get into their bullpen a little bit.  And I think we can, our guys are pretty patient at the plate.  

Their bullpen is not good. But they were also running on fumes at the end of the season. They got a lot of rest this week as they only had to use three guys the entire series.

4 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Their bullpen is not good. But they were also running on fumes at the end of the season. They got a lot of rest this week as they only had to use three guys the entire series.

Not as much rest as we got!  We'll see if we come out flat and lethargic or well rested and ready to go.  I can't wait.

If our birds lose, it probably because the Rangers performed better with their opportunities. It's not a matter of the Orioles "not being ready" or "a year away" or any of that stuff. The Rangers beat the Rays because they pitched really well and they got guys on base and forced the issue. The Rays made errors and just didn't produce with runners on base. 

It's the playoffs and a short series at that. Anything can happen. 

I hope this is like 2014.  On paper, the Rangers are really good, with established stars with playoff experience.  Like Detroit with Scherzer, Verlander and Price pitching vs. Tillman, Wei-Yen Chen, and Bud Norris.  Not to mention Detroit had  Melky Cabrera, Ian Kinsler, JD Martinez, Victor Martinez and Torii Hunter.  OTOH we had what, maybe Adam Jones, Chris Davis and Matt Wieters? (Machado got hurt right before the playoffs. (Edit: No Chris Davis due to PEDS, and Wieters was hurt early that year, but we did have Nelson Cruz and JJ Hardy)  And we swept them, partially because their bullpen sucked (thank you Joba Chamberlin), our starters stepped up, and we were able to do enough damage to their starters.

Edited by DCSaints_fan
  • Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

you have to remember it was not long ago the orioles basically processed and tanked 4 straight 100 loss seasons which was insanely bad. the fact they kept Hyde around for that shows incredible patience. 

I think just as the team grew and developed talent that Hyde grew and developed as a manager as well. 

And they tanked for 3 seasons. The 2018 roster had Machado, Jones, Davis, Trumbo, Mancini, Schoop,, Cobb, Gausman, Tillman, Brach, Britton, O'Day, Castro... They just stunk! 

Edited by TheDoyler23
  • Like 1