Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Playoff Tracker Thread

kleese

Rooting guide for the week: 

The Obvious: 

Saints at Bucs: Of all the Sunday games, this one is the most obvious for us in terms of need/rooting interest. The Saints remain the one team in the mix that could beat us in a tie-breaker (only likely if the tie was JUST us and them though). Anyway, this is by far their most difficult remaining game, so a loss here would keep them on pace for a finish of 8 or fewer wins. 

Vikings at Bears: Vikings play Bears twice with Rams and Packers in between. I think 2-2 is leaning positive for Vikings— so a loss to Bears to start it all off would be fantastic. I actually like Chicago in this spot Monday Night, although the are also dealing with rona issues. 

The Less Obvious: 

Panthers at Bills: The odds of Carolina going 4-0 are pretty darn slim, so this really is kind of a big nothing burger for me, but we will be rooting FOR the Panthers in coming weeks, so would be best for them to just lose this one to an AFC team. 

Seahawks at Rams: LA’s win in Arizona the other night more or less sealed the 5 seed for them (at worst) so they can now help us moving forward. Seattle is a lot like Carolina as it concerns us— they really need to go 4-0 in order to factor in, but after Tuesday, they play the Bears and Lions in Seattle— ending with Cards on road in a game that could mean nothing to Zona, so I’d say it would behoove us for the Chickens to get an L here. 

Falcons at 49ers: We play the Eagles, Niners play Falcons, so that’s four of the teams in the mix going head to head. The rooting angle in this one is all based on your perspective. If you want as many doors to stay open as possible, I’d say root Atlanta. If you’d prefer to concede that 6th spot to SF and instead see another team battling for 7th take a big blow, root for Niners. I think SF is going to roll on Sunday, but I don’t really care what happens— pluses and minuses either way. 

Unlike last week, we cannot lose and maintain our playoff position. The Eagles automatically pass us and even if everything else went our way, either the Niners would go two games ahead of us, or Atlanta would join the Eagles and Niners with one more win than we have. Conversely, if we win, there actually would be one way for a team to pass us. If we win, the Niners win, Saints win, and Vikings lose, that would leave us at 7-7 with only the Saints also at 7-7– and they’d pass us on the tie-breaker. Again, we’d need a multi-team tie-breaker in order to pass the Saints. So for sure be rooting for the Bucs Sunday. If Saints lose and we win, we will remain in the playoff spot entering next week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 12/17/2021 at 10:34 PM, kingdaddy said:

IF....we make the playoffs I think we'll be a dangerous team just because of how well our defense is playing and because of the chemistry of this team. We also could be a team that's getting healthier (Cosmi, Samuel, Sweat, etc...). 

I can't see us beating Tampa again but the others could be had if we show up and play great defense and control the clock. 

If we make the playoffs, it will be because we barely made it and most likely backed into the playoffs. It would be another quick exit.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 10:34 PM, kingdaddy said:

IF....we make the playoffs I think we'll be a dangerous team just because of how well our defense is playing and because of the chemistry of this team. We also could be a team that's getting healthier (Cosmi, Samuel, Sweat, etc...). 

I can't see us beating Tampa again but the others could be had if we show up and play great defense and control the clock. 

I believe, potentially (all stars aligning), the best we’ve put in the playoffs since ‘92…

8 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Much like last time, not sure I understand why an NFC team playing an AFC team isn’t listed under “The Obvious” category lol…it just seems insanely obvious to me who to root for..

I would be shocked beyond measure if the Bears beat the Vikings…hope that happens!

Because I didn’t consider the Panthers a threat AND there are situations where having them as part of a tie-breaker could actually HELP us. But mainly because I’d sort of already written them off. I do think, however, I should have included the Seahawks in the “obvious” category. If they beat the Rams, they are very much in the mix. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, kleese said:

Because I didn’t consider the Panthers a threat AND there are situations where having them as part of a tie-breaker could actually HELP us. But mainly because I’d sort of already written them off. I do think, however, I should have included the Seahawks in the “obvious” category. If they beat the Rams, they are very much in the mix. 

Ah, got it now...

3 minutes ago, BigDibbs31 said:

This NO win is not good I imagine

Not at all. I don’t think it makes a huge difference in our efforts to make the playoffs at 9-8, but their win tonight for sure lowers our chances to get in at 8-9. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BigDibbs31 said:

This NO win is not good I imagine

Nope. Saints have a pretty good chance at going 9-8 now at the very least which means we'd need another team go also go 9-8 if we went 9-8 as well. We'd still win any tiebreaker consisting of 3 or more teams due to stronger NFC record.

45 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

We need a Vikings win tonight plus a win on Tuesday night to get the 7 seed back from the saints heading into SNF. 

I don't care about having the 7th seed now, I care about having it (or better) after week 18. So I root for all the wildcard competition to lose as much as possible.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, steve09ru said:

As long as there’s another team tied with us and the Saints we will get in based on conference record.  We can still afford to lose 1 more but losing 2 would all but eliminate us.

Prior to last last night I thought we’d have right at a 50/50 shot to get in at 8-9; now I think it’s more like 25%— maybe a tad higher. I don’t think NOLA losing 2/3 is THAT wild of a stretch to put it into “slim” category quite yet. Pretty even match-up for them Monday vs Dolphins. The end with Panthers/Falcons. I don’t think either of those are automatic wins, especially given Saints offense is really dreadful right now. I still think we’d have a punchers chance at 8-9, but it for sure took a hit last night. At this point 3/4 should absolutely be the goal. Odds remain high we’d get in at 9-8. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Gonna be hard for us to beat the cowboys. We got lucky and still couldn’t pull out a win…

I think the next go round there won't be as many turnovers.  Its gonna make a big difference.  Plus Dallas is very beatable of late.

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Gonna be hard for us to beat the cowboys. We got lucky and still couldn’t pull out a win…

I mean, they’ve already met once, just 8 days ago. the coaching staff has tape and can review what didn’t go right the first time and what the cowboys did the first time that worked and come up with a better game plan this time around. 

both matchups being only two weeks apart could very well help us more than we think.