Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Just now, Andre The Giant said:

All due respect man, you don't know my personal opinion on Darnold.  I'm reposting some other guys tweet that I happen to agree with.  I didn't want Darnold, because I think all NFL Head Coaches get the basics right and it's the Players that make the difference.  Gase was a great coach when he had Peyton Manning, etc...  Nagy would be a great coach with Tom Brady, etc.  There's no doubt that coaching makes a difference in the NFL.  But being part of a franchise quarterback's success can make a number of NFL careers.

I don't want Trubisky because he's had a lot of playing time, and I think he plays soft.  I felt the same about Darnold last year.  I'm saying that as an organization we shouldn't make the same mistake the Panthers did.

My post wasn't direct at you... but the author of the tweet. 🙂

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bullock, I agree with just about everything he said, he also highlighted the same things I like an don't like about him more or less, so of course I find his takes spot on. 😀

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 10.23.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 10.23.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 10.24.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 10.24.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 10.25.29 AM.png

He couldn't find the hot receiver?  Uh...what?  That's damning.  Paints an extremely bleak picture of him being too dumb.  So is he a golden retriever?  Friendly, everybody likes you, but not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Ugh.  Ok.  Onto the next QB option.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bullock, I agree with just about everything he said, he also highlighted the same things I like an don't like about him more or less, so of course I find his takes spot on. 😀

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 10.23.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 10.23.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 10.24.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 10.24.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 10.25.29 AM.png

The argument for traits and ceiling IMO only works for prospects because its giving you the ceiling. The vets however are established. We are well aware of what Mitch can do at this point and its a low tier starter. Reclamation projects like Tannehill who is really only a ring or two above to a mediocre QB is few and far between.

8 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

He couldn't find the hot receiver?  Uh...what?  That's damning.  Paints an extremely bleak picture of him being too dumb.  So is he a golden retriever?  Friendly, everybody likes you, but not the sharpest tool in the shed.

His teammates in Buffalo were very complementary of him and his ability to be successful in the NFL.

He actually fared pretty well in the pre-season last year with the Bills.

I'm not saying he's a messiah... or even a franchise QB... but as a FA (with minimal cost).... I don't think it's an unreasonable decision.

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Nobody "wants" Trubs or any other scrub QB and nobody "thinks" they're the future. 

Right now we have nothing but a QB3 to run the scout team and not a lot of options for us, but lots of competition for the scraps.

TH isn't even a backup?   He's a QB3 huh?   Did he say no to an autograph?   There has to be something to your TH hate.    It's can't be about his actual skills and performance.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I'd much prefer Mariota.  I don't see Trubisky as a disaster because I like his athleticm. 

I hate to accuse a Qb for being dumb, I don't think Trubisky is dumb but most QBs come off smart in some fashion or form.  I don't get that vibe with Trubisky.  

A.  His wonderlic score is almost 50% lower than Fitz and Alex Smith.  Not a disaster score but certainly not hot. 

B. His coach has said Trubisky is "uncoachable" and said that to the whole team.  I know to some is all on Nagy but some might recall Nagy was touted at the beginning of his tenure as being an offensive wiz.  It didn't end well for him but its not like everyone saw him as a buffoon.  Andy Reid just rehired him as his QB coach.  I doubt Reid wants him coaching his QBs because he's some buffoon who doesn't understand QBs.

C.  Trubisky by his own admission has struggled to read defenses.

D.  His top WR when describing the difference between Trubisky and Foles is Foles is really active on the line of scrimmage readjusting the offense to what the defense is showing -- implying that's not really Trubisky's thing.

E.  Peyton Manning in his Qb school talked about how Trubisky isn't smart as to how he sells defenses as to play action -- he telegraphs what he's about to do. 

F.  I've watched a bunch of his interviews.  One of the least impressive interviews I've watched among QBs in my lifetime.  He comes off as a really nice guy so I buy that part of what people say about him.  But he comes off to me like a stereotypical jock in interviews.   It's like you are interviewing name that random O lineman.  I am used to listening to QBs come off a bit erudite.  Trubisky oddly to me doesn't come off like that at all.  He comes off like a regular dude that would be fun having a beer with.  But he doesn't come off to me as a dude that is adept at dissecting complex defenses.  

That below from Chris Simms

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/former-qb-says-mitch-trubisky-may-not-be-smart-enough/

He claims that Trubisky, for all his physical gifts, may not quite have the mental acuity to handle such a diverse and complex offense like the one head coach Matt Nagy wants to run.

“THIS IS ONE THING I’VE BEEN TOLD BEHIND THE SCENES FROM A NUMBER OF PEOPLE. MATT NAGY KIND OF SAYS THIS IN HIS CRYPTIC COACH LANGUAGE…AND IF YOU REALLY LISTEN TO HIM, HE CAN’T PUT IN HIS FULL ARRAY OF OFFENSE OR, ‘I GOT TO PULL BACK AND MAKE THINGS SIMPLER ON OFFENSE.’ I THINK IT IS TRUE. I’VE HEARD FROM PEOPLE AROUND THE NFL THAT IS AN ISSUE WITH TRUBISKY. YOU JUST CAN’T DUMP HUGE AMOUNTS OF INVENTORY ON HIM. HE’S NOT AT THAT STAGE YET.

HEY IT IS YEAR 3, IT’S HIS SECOND OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR BUT I DON’T KNOW. MAYBE HE’S NOT SMART ENOUGH TO TAKE IN ALL OF THE OFFENSE.”

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Trubsiky may be the best we can get this year and we will be lucky to get him. There are alot of other teams interested because of lack of good Qb.

I am still hoping that something will happen that will allow us to get a guy we would not think was available. Maybe the Browns bring in JimmyG and we can get Mayfield. Although, I am not a big Mayfield fan. 

Edited by Redskins 2021

6 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

And we might not even get him. If they dont get him and strike out on the big boys I honestly have no idea what they plan to do. This has been a multi year botching leading up to this point.

I think it is Bridgewater if we can't get Trubisky. 

These are the options 

Mariotta

Winston 

Trubisky 

Bridgewater 

Dalton 

JimmyG

Maybe

Wentz

Watson

If we draft Pickett he could probably play rite now?

Edited by Redskins 2021

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Repeating it doesn’t make it any less ridiculous.  Of course I’ve read your other posts.  I just can’t find any logic in your opinion that TH is better than Trubisky.  None.  TH doesn’t have an NFL arm and he’s inaccurate, so what makes him better than an inaccurate dude with an actual NFL arm?

I’m not convinced either way on the TH vs Trubisky debate (though I think the staff should and would give the edge to Trubisky due in large part to the difference in arm strength).  With that said, obviously there’s more to the position than arm strength (and accuracy).  So if Heinicke reads defenses better, does a better job putting mistakes behind him, plays better in higher pressure situations, etc, that stuff could easily trump the distinct throwing velocity/distance advantage Trubisky has, IMO.

I can’t say I’m excited in the least by the prospect of bringing Trubisky in.  The negative reports/articles about reading defenses, accuracy and decision-making issues, etc are brutal.  On the flip side, there are a few things that intrigue me (purely through the lens of him as a stopgap) - his athleticism, the reports out of Buffalo about him learning to play more freely and not be so concerned about making mistakes, and his sophomore year in the league - his 71 QBR would have lead the league in 2021.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I think it is Bridgewater 

I believe we will land Trubisky and will likely overpay to get him both in money and years. QB's are in such high demand that I can see us giving MT something like 3 years with 25 mil guaranteed and tons of incentives built in to take it even higher. Maybe he gets an opt out in there after one season too? His agent will see to it that he markets him well and will use the interested teams against each other to drive up the price. Being desperate, we will pay the most for him in many ways because we can afford to do it. 

I also think MT will be interested in coming here because of the opportunity, the roster and the head coach. Just my opinion. 

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

I believe we will land Trubisky and will likely overpay to get him both in money and years. QB's are in such high demand that I can see us giving MT something like 3 years with 25 mil guaranteed and tons of incentives built in to take it even higher. Maybe he gets an opt out in there after one season too? His agent will see to it that he markets him well and will use the interested teams against each other to drive up the price. Being desperate, we will pay the most for him in many ways because we can afford to do it. 

I also think MT will be interested in coming here because of the opportunity, the roster and the head coach. Just my opinion. 

I could see that. 

5 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I think it is Bridgewater if we can't get Trubisky. 

These are the options 

Mariotta

Winston 

Trubisky 

Bridgewater 

Dalton 

JimmyG

Maybe

Wentz

Watson

If we can’t get Watson, Wilson or Rodgers, out of the 2nd tier QB’s, I’d roll with Winston. I know, he’s been known to turn the ball over, but we’ll be a much better offensive team with him over those other options. 

• Like 1

Just now, No Nonsense said:

If we can’t get Watson, Wilson or Rodgers, out of the 2nd tier QB’s, I’d roll with Winston. I know, he’s been known to turn the ball over, but we’ll be a much better offensive team with him over those other options. 

I think I would go with him to except his knee injury may keep him out. Someone on the board was saying he may be out through week 1.

I have a feeling that from a backlash perspective, signing Trubisky or Bridgewater and following that up by NOT drafting a QB at 11 might actually, somehow, be worse than doing nothing and outwardly missing on their big targets and just looking to next year. That isn’t a viable option because of the situation Rivera has put himself in at the QB position, of course. But pretending they have confidence Trubisky or Bridgewater could grow into the guy, which they’ll basically have to say in the media, will get IMMENSE backlash. They’ll be shocked by it imo if they try to sell that type of move, which they will if that’s what they’re stuck with. It’s going to be hard to watch if they don’t love one of these rookies in the 1st round and try to sell a bottom tier FA as the only solution. It’s going to make the tone deaf incident of Wright being surprised about the fan backlash over the ST ceremony look tame in comparison. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Trubsiky may be the best we can get this year and we will be lucky to get him. There are alot of other teams interested because of lack of good Qb.

I am still hoping that something will happen that will allow us to get a guy we would not think was available. Maybe the Browns bring in JimmyG and we can get Mayfield. Although, I am not a big Mayfield fan. 

I wouldn't hate it but I disagree that wed be lucky to get him.  I am rooting for him to end elsewhere.  But I won't throw my self off a brudge if they sign him. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

I’m not convinced either way on the TH vs Trubisky debate (though I think the staff should and would give the edge to Trubisky due in large part to the difference in arm strength).  With that said, obviously there’s more to the position than arm strength (and accuracy).  So if Heinicke reads defenses better, does a better job putting mistakes behind him, plays better in higher pressure situations, etc, that stuff could easily trump the distinct throwing velocity/distance advantage Trubisky has, IMO.

I can’t say I’m excited in the least by the prospect of bringing Trubisky in.  The negative reports/articles about reading defenses, accuracy and decision-making issues, etc are brutal.  On the flip side, there are a few things that intrigue me (purely through the lens of him as a stopgap) - his athleticism, the reports out of Buffalo about him learning to play more freely and not be so concerned about making mistakes, and his sophomore year in the league - his 71 QBR would have lead the league in 2021.

My two cents....I think both Trubisky and TH will be better in 2022 based on how both spent 2021 and for opposite reasons. Trubisky got to learn after baptism by fire in Chicago and by playing in a suspect system/coaching staff. He got to watch and learn how Josh Allen and a good offense in Buffalo operate.

TH will be better after learning from his experience as a starting QB in the NFL. He'll clean up some of his erratic throws and make better decisions and maybe come back an even stronger QB.

I would be glad if we landed Trubisky...not as happy as if we landed a stud but I think MT is a good gamble moving forward, especially given the state of this years rookies coming out. 

• Thumb down 1

3 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I could see Pittsburgh being a team that drives up his price.  Tomlin said he’s looking for mobility at QB to replace Roethlisberger.

The reported Trubisky interest is further indictment of this class, imo.

You know what I can see....Malik Willis sitting there at #11 and the Commanders phone ringing. 

"Hi, this is the Steelers, we'll offer you are 1st and 2nd this year plus a 1st next year for your pick right now".

Done.

Steelers take Malik Willis at #11 overall.

Washington gets the #20 overall pick plus Pittsburgh's 2nd rounder and 2023 1st round.

Steelers get Washington's #11 overall and a 6th round in 2023.

The Steelers are said to be hot on Willis.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I think I would go with him to except his knee injury may keep him out. Someone on the board was saying he may be out through week 1.

Injured his ACL on 10/31.  Typically takes 8-10 months to recover.  Best case scenario, he’s back for training camp.  Fortunately they didn’t find anything bad with his MCL.