Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Among other things the thing that turns me off to Winston is listening to the NO beat guys before our game against NO saying their sources close to Sean Payton have told them that Payton has seen enough from Winston and he's underwhelmed and he's definitely moving on from him this off season.

And... the dude is immature as hell. Not the guy you want to risk being the face of your team, when your team is our team. 

I'm sure he'd like how much crab we have to offer locally though :)

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

We aren't relying on a rookie QB to lead this team in 2022. So I can understand why Ron is proritizing the veteran market. But beyond 2022, as a fan, I have concerns that another 6-8 win season will see Ron on his way out ahead of 2023. And I would much rather have a pair of 1's for the new incoming regime to get their QB. OR, if Winston balls out and we win 11 games, we at least have a pair of 1's to get aggressive for our guy, and Ron might be staring at an extension given his ability to get 2 playoff seasons out of 3. And if Winston somehow realizes his potential post-lasik as a former National Champ and #1 pick, then we might have struck a bit of gold, and you go into 2023 with 2 #1s to address the rest of the roster after extending Winston on a big deal.

You never know but no one knows a QB (as Shanny likes to say) better than a coach who has that QB in their room.  And the comments from NO reporters about what Payton thought of Winston were alarming to me.  I posted about it at the time in the draft thread the week we played NO. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

3 1rsts for Wilson might put us on the mountain, but that's a very sharp cliff in a couple years.

So, good for 3 years with Wilson and then tank for another rookie?

We're finally recovering from the RGIII trade and getting some really good players on this team and now we might have to give up our future again.

The future is now whether we like it or not. 

Ron’s first 2 seasons has got him to this point now, to acquire that QB to take us that next step. Trading away 2023/2024 picks may be a necessity. He’s clearly open to that.

I do have your reservations though over all that haul for Wilson. It’s a risk. But he’s elite and if it worked out we’d be damn good. If. 

Reaching for mediocrity isn’t an option through. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Among other things the thing that turns me off to Winston is listening to the NO beat guys before our game against NO saying their sources close to Sean Payton have told them that Payton has seen enough from Winston and he's underwhelmed and he's definitely moving on from him this off season.

Letfwich will find a role for Winston wherever he ends up.

3 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

And... the dude is immature as hell. Not the guy you want to risk being the face of your team, when your team is our team. 

I'm sure he'd like how much crab we have to offer locally though :)

Yeah I can't really get that Tampa Hard Knocks season out of my head.  Winston just didn't impress me.

For me its Mariota #1 if i am going with a FA.  Trubisky #2 -- and he's a distant #2 for me.  Not sure I care for the others.  I guess Winston #3 but a distant 3. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

If I had to guess what teams will get what Qb.

steelers/ Go with what they have or Marrota 

Saints / Resign Winston 

Skins/ Trubisky 

Bucs / Jimmy G

Broncos/ A. Rodgers 

Panthers/ D Watson 

Vikings/ B Mayfield 

Browns/ K Cousins 

I think everyone else will stay the same at Qb.

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Something like picking an All Pro Mike with a third round pick and picking another team's pocket to get the best offensive linemen in the NFL for a third rounder...

I was going to respond to a similar debate in the draft thread yesterday, but this is why I don't really want to include any of our good players in trades for a QB.  You win by getting great players and building a locker room where excellence is the standard.  I know we need a QB, but we also need guys like Allen, Chase, Payne, etc. for they are how we set a highly competitive standard.  Losing dudes like them is how the championship window closed on teams like Atlanta and Seattle despite their QBs.

Guessing that you're referring to the Niners getting Fred Warner in the 3rd round in the 2018 draft and then fleecing our resident idiot Brucifer to get Trent for a 3rd prior to the 2020 season...?  

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Completely agree. I think we have the makings of a very very good team, minus QB and Mike and adding those two positions will put us over the top. 

I'd rather resemble the 49ers than the Rams. Rams have a small window that is going to close hard and possibly leave them in the basement for a decade. The 49ers can only improve, which is impressive considering that they've recently been to a SB and almost went to another.

The draft is definitely the place to get your QB, but it doesn't necessarily have to be this year if that player isn't there. 

Going to be very interesting to see how this plays out for the Rams. I believe he has one more year remaining on his contract with the Rams. Interesting to see how the theory of having a "franchise QB" solving most other faults plays out with them. Will Stafford reup with the Rams if they no longer have the weapons they have right now? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And the comments from NO reporters about what Payton thought of Winston were alarming to me.  I posted about it at the time in the draft thread the week we played NO. 

SIP, would you mind re-posting that please? Without having read those comments, I thought the greatest thing working against him was missing his top 2 WR's Thomas and Tre'Quan Smith. Smith in particular I think would have thrived if he and Jameis were on the field together. I also thought he had put the maturity questions to rest and he is working hard at rehabbing presently. 

Edited by Chump Bailey

Said this a few times, and it’s easier said than done, but this offseason is bringing a fundamental change on the franchise. Rebranding...New name,  new uniforms, trying to clear some historical crap from the decks. All massive issues.

None of that requires further discussion in this particular thread, however the glaring need for a QB, in addition to all of that above, can only mean one thing - a franchise defining move in some capacity at QB is coming :headbang:

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I can't really get that Tampa Hard Knocks season out of my head.  Winston just didn't impress me.

For me its Mariota #1 if i am going with a FA.  Trubisky #2 -- and he's a distant #2 for me.  Not sure I care for the others.  I guess Winston #3 but a distant 3. 

exactly where I'm at + my draft QB is Matt Corral, you've got a helluva good group of athletic QBs. No guarantees with drafting Qbs but I'm surprised by the lack of love for Corral. 

Dude played the best college football defenses, took an absolutely terrible program and brought them back, good arm, good athleticism. Aside from Russ, this is the best way to address our QB problems... so of course we're going to throw picks and $ at Jimmy G 

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

exactly where I'm at + my draft QB is Matt Corral, you've got a helluva good group of athletic QBs. No guarantees with drafting Qbs but I'm surprised by the lack of love for Corral. 

Dude played the best college football defenses, took an absolutely terrible program and brought them back, good arm, good athleticism. Aside from Russ, this is the best way to address our QB problems... so of course we're going to throw picks and $ at Jimmy G 

I think if we stay at 11 that is who we will pick

20 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

The future is now whether we like it or not. 

No doubt.  That point on steriods too.  It's not just a big year for Ron.  Trying to sell a rebrand is a big deal.   Trying to land a stadium isn't easy and its even harder if the team sucks.  This might be one of the ultimate crossroads season in this franchise's history.

It's not a hey lets go 7-10 with Heinicke, and sell fans to look forward to 2023, and see what happens kind of year.

Ron’s first 2 seasons has got him to this point now, to acquire that QB to take us that next step. Trading away 2023/2024 picks may be a necessity. He’s clearly open to that.

Yep. Clearly.

I do have your reservations though over all that haul for Wilson. It’s a risk. But he’s elite and if it worked out we’d be damn good. If. 

This isn't addressed to me.  But I can't help sharing my take :ols:.  It feels like we are the class nerd and quibbiling over whether we should date the prom queen because maybe she will have a zit or two on prom night.   I think we'd be lucky if the prom queen even gazes our way and dates us let alone wondering if its worth it.

I think this organization is in such dire staits with the backdrop of the Congressional investigation, stadium pursuit, rebranding, declining TV ratings, worst NFL attendance -- that a big splash wouldn't just help Ron but it also might save this team from bleeding fans. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Said this a few times, and it’s easier said than done, but this offseason is bringing a fundamental change on the franchise. Rebranding...New name,  new uniforms, trying to clear some historical crap from the decks. All massive issues.

None of that requires further discussion in this particular thread, however the glaring need for a QB, in addition to all of that above, can only mean one thing - a franchise defining move in some capacity at QB is coming :headbang:

Yeah, the "tea leaves" on some of this coming from the media strikes me as being an "all in move" but unless there's some crazy dark-horse situation out there, there are really just 3 options: Watson, Wilson, Rodgers

Rodgers seems more likely to either be staying in Green Bay or going to Denver. Russ has local ties, but I'm not sure how likely that is. Watson is going to get moved, so maybe he's the answer. If that legal situation is rectified and he isn't put on any suspension in 2022, I would be much more wiling to put all the chips in that basket in terms of making a prediction, but not sure how that one unfolds.

Ziegler really isn’t selling it to me that they are keeping Carr.

His hiring, along with McDaniels, would have included the fundamental discussion of QB. It would not be, oh well come on board and have a look at Derek for 6 weeks. See how you all get along. Then we’ll sit down and discuss. There is no need for them to be so evasive about Carr. 

No way they go to Vegas without a clear plan at QB. Right now I don’t think it includes Carr. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like the idea of Mariota as well if free agency is the path taken. Stylistically his game reminds me a bit of Alex Smith, but without all the elite intangibles. Though, Alex Smith lacked intangibles early on and required coming out of some difficult scenarios to “find” himself as a player and man. Maybe Mariota with age, time, and maturity can provide top 15 QB play with great run ability. 

Not option one, but I’d be all for this move. His name has not been brought up by sources much, right? It’s all in on Watson or Rodgers for me— those two I’d do whatever it takes. Just don’t see the NFL allowing a trade for Watson to take place until legal matters have concluded, a bad look. 

Mariota, Willis, and Heineke is a QB room I can get behind. 

Edited by wit33

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Ziegler really isn’t selling it to me that they are keeping Carr.

His hiring, along with McDaniels, would have included the fundamental discussion of QB. It would not be, oh well come on board and have a look at Derek for 6 weeks. See how you all get along. Then we’ll sit down and discuss. There is no need for them to be so evasive about Carr. 

No way they go to Vegas without a clear plan at QB. Right now I don’t think it includes Carr. 

I think it could go either way. 

Edited by Redskins 2021

9 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I think if we stay at 11 that is who we will pick

Corral is not going to be there at #11.

And this is coming from a UNC alum and someone who absolutely loves Howell.... but Corral is a tier above, and he will be picked before #11.  If the staff decides that Corral is the guy (and to be fair, I'm not saying that I necessarily agree, but IF they do...), then they're going to have to move up to get him.

Edited by ColonialWBSkinsFan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Lol, you might have the closest take to my take about the QB class.

A.  Russell Wilson.  It's not even a debate.  If we are lucky enough to even have a shot, you do it.  I got zero qualms about any of it. 

B.  Corral.  He's been my guy on the draft thread from the start of the college season just about.

C. Mariota would be my top FA.

Only difference we might have but not sure where you stand on this, is I'd be jazzed about Derrek Carr.  I'd take Carr over Corral.  But Corral is my guy as far as Qbs in this draft.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Yeah, the "tea leaves" on some of this coming from the media strikes me as being an "all in move" but unless there's some crazy dark-horse situation out there, there are really just 3 options: Watson, Wilson, Rodgers

Tannehill is the crazy dark horse situation to watch for me.

I think we are more likely to get Carr then Wilson. Radiers would take the package we give up for Carr and then flip it for Wilson.

Wilson wanted to play in LV it was on his list. Mark Davis is rumored to want him. They would have the picks after the trade with us to get him. Seattle would be sending him to AFC. I just can't figure out why Seattle will trade him to anyone.

When Carrol came back it looks like they are going to run it back one more time.

Edited by Redskins 2021

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A.  Russell Wilson.  It's not even a debate.  If we are lucky enough to even have a shot, you do it.  I got zero qualms about any of it. 

B.  Corral.  He's been my guy on the draft thread from the start of the college season just about.

Only difference we might have but not sure where you stand on this, is I'd be jazzed about Derrek Carr.  I'd take Carr over Corral.  But Corral is my guy as far as Qbs in this draft.

I would love to see Carr here also, I just don't envision the Raiders moving on from him without an upgrade and I dont see where there is a realistic path for them to get that upgarde. 

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agreed about Carr.  Hope we can land him if he comes available.  

You take over Vegas - is Carr going to get you to the top of the division? Doubt it. Imagine if Rodgers goes to Denver.

Same point with Tannehill, 29mil this season to clean up the AFC South again. So what, it’ll be followed by another playoff defeat.

AFC dynamics at QB are insane. You have to consider that when seeing what logic some of these front offices may apply.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Also can you imagine if Wilson lands in Philly instead?  

Eagles fans are dumb.  The NFC has always been wide open, and Nick Foles won as many super bowls in the conference as Tom Brady, Drew Brees, and Aaron Rodgers did.  This isn't the NBA, there is always parity in the league, and especially so in the NFC.  Fear of the Eagles getting a good QB wouldn't be what got me to pay more for Wilson than I'd be comfortable with.  And it also wouldn't make them a contender by itself.

I also don't think there is a big gap between Wilson and Ryan like you think.  You're talking about an MVP winning QB with 200 career AV in Ryan.  Someone who averages 15.8 AV per season vs someone who averages 14.5.  The fact that we would have to be willing to pay so much more for Wilson to get that 1.3 extra AV indicates to me that there is q rating inflation in Wilson's value that makes him a bad deal.