Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

9 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

That's a no from me on both fronts.  It's too much to give up for Watson (reportedly), and I don't think the Raiders move on from Carr to a team that offers them nothing in return at the position.  The hypothetical 49ers trade makes much more sense for the Raiders.  There's also this with regards to Wentz:

Imagine being a top 12 talent at one of the hardest jobs to get in the world and nobody wants you because of your personality.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, samy316 said:

The team is bleeding fans each year, and they just had a terrible reveal of the name and jerseys. Quite frankly, the only people left cheering this team are the diehards.  They need to make a gigantic move towards QB THIS YEAR, so that the rebrand doesn’t fail like we think it’s going to. Ron has to make sure that there is potential for getting a franchise QB this year in the draft.  If they punt on drafting a QB again after punting on drafting one last year in a better QB class, that’s not going to be a good look.  We’d better have traded for Wilson/Watson/Carr, if that’s the case.  Signing some loser like Trubisky or Mariotta while punting on drafting a QB this year will be the end of Rivera in Washington.

So they should make a big move this year to appease the fans that already left and do it even though if it's the wrong football move and they get Dwayne Haskins 2.0? So then they can then suck for a few more years and really solidify that "re-brand". I don't know many fans that would be "won over" by a draft pick for more than a few seconds unless that draft picks is actually good.  And if people in the know think this year's draft sucks, unless Washington's scouts feel radically different, then I don't see how this makes any sense for anyone.

2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

There are outliers among them, but it's pretty consistent that you need an elite quarterback to even sniff the Super Bowl.  Are there any potential elite quarterbacks in the draft?  Doubtful.  But they have to draft one to find out, IMO.

I don't think it's that cut and dry. Not every first round pick pans out. But very few non first round picks ever pan out. You at least have some idea on the talent level entering the draft. 2018 was a great year for talent. 2019 was not. Sometimes you know the options are basically crap, like in 2013. and forcing a mediocre talent into the first round doesn't make that prospect any better. If you wanted to take a guy outside the first round, so be it. But sometimes there's not even a good bet to make in the first.

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A.  Would like a veteran in place to attract FAs.  Lack of Qb makes it tough to lure top FA WRs

That really makes you think they would like to go after Adams or one of the other available receivers. Maybe Cooper if released, even DK who was a trade rumor, Ridley also? But that point does imply a desire to add a top receiver.

Or God forbid the QB situation is a blocker in the Terry Mc extension discussions.......

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I didn't pick up on it the first time, the dude crapping on this team on the GMF panel is Lesean McCoy.  Of course when asked what team would be a good fit for Amari Cooper he goes the Eagles. 

Reminds me of the time Romo was covering a Cowboys game (can't remember who they were playing). They Cowboys were making a comeback, and he kept referring the them as "we;
" "All WE need to do is the get ball back here;" "We're only down 10 now" etc. etc. etc.

16 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Strong?  Ugh.  I refuse to believe it.

Keim doesn't make things up for kicks.  He's probably said the same on at least 8 different podcasts as to Strong, its been mentioned on this thread for months so its nothing new.  But you can refuse to believe it if you choose of course.😀

16 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I doubt Ridder lasts until pick #42.  But this sounds more like the team just really doesn't think there's a QB in this draft for them.

Judiging by rumors, unless they trade for a veteran, it sounds like slam dunk they are taking one in the draft and doing so early but they don't seem to think there is a big gap between these guys.

If I had to piece different narrtatives together, I think they'd take Pickett if he's at 11 but they don't expect him to be.  They are intrigued with Willis but see him as a project so they may or may not take him at 11 if he's there, they'd have to weigh that.  And they don't see much of a difference between the next 4 QBs.

Keim has hinted they don't like Howell. But that was precombine so I don't know if that still holds.  Corral is a bit of a wildcard, he didn't do the combine or senior bowl (didn't qualify for the senior bowl).  I haven't heard they are in or out on him.  I assume his pro day will be big. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've never loved Bridgewater, I do think he's a better QB than Trubisky but with less upside.

I happened to watch his game against the Giants this season where he looked like Joe Montana against them with surprising mobility.  

I don't get excited about Bridgewater but if he's cheap and doesn't come along with the condition of no high draft pick than yeah I am all in if that's what we end up doing.  I'd take Mariota and Winston over Bridgewater but I wouldn't hate it as long as they take a rookie.

The whole Trubisky doesn't want a draft pick, or high draft pick coming with him, feels very much like when we traded for Alex Smith.  As I recall Smith's camp wanted that reassurance and he got it from us but they didn't get it from the Browns who were also in pursuit of a trade and that along with the money tipped the balance our way.  No way I like the idea of being held hostage to the demands of Trubisky's agent. 

Agree with all you say and add to this IF and I want Winston/Mariota, if we are going the FA QB + QB at #11, and RR has his eyes set on Trubisky and is set on signing him tell him and his agent and it only makes sense, it's your job.  If we draft a rookie at #11 your still the starter.  Who in their right mind is going to give Trubisky a long term deal?  His agent is pushing and dreaming if he's told Trubisky he's getting a LTD.  No way.  

Now about Carr!  IF RR and Co. truly want him ante up 2 1st for the guy and let's get this done.  Yes, it's over paying but I think he's worth it.  If we offered the Raiders 2 1st round draft choices I think he's trade within minutes and a LTD is reached soon there after the same day.  JMO.  He fits us our scheme well.  Get that deal done like yesterday with Carr!  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

That really makes you think they would like to go after Adams or one of the other available receivers. Maybe Cooper if released, even DK who was a trade rumor, Ridley also? But that point does imply a desire to add a top receiver.

Or God forbid the QB situation is a blocker in the Terry Mc extension discussions.......

Not sure if they are swinging for a big WR but Keim mentioned FAs in general.  And then said WR.  Gave a vibe that they know other players know that if you don't have a QB you aren't a true consistent contender

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Imagine being a top 12 talent at one of the hardest jobs to get in the world and nobody wants you because of your personality.

Yeah.  And Wentz is an interesting read as far as his personality.  It comes like he's a weird combination of being really insecure and aloof. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not sure if they are swinging for a big WR but Keim mentioned FAs in general.  And then said WR.  Gave a vibe that they know other players know that if you don't have a QB you aren't a true consistent contender

I will continue to dream that we pick up both Carr and Adams, then extend Terry.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Est.1974 said:

You would assume Matt Rhule loves him too given the history.

Yes, I knew there was a long history there.  I THINK Rhule tried to recruit Pickett and I think Pickett accepted but changed his mind and went to Pitt.  So that leaves us with Willis as to whom we are hearing they would take at #11.  The QB situation is like the housing market.  Demand for housing is greater than the supply of houses.  

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I will continue to dream that we pick up both Carr and Adams, then extend Terry.

I'd consider it a dream if we could trade for Carr.  Hey, I'll take a little at this point.  We need a legit QB and that's a start.  It trumps all the other options, and 2 1st again is a bit of overpaying but the situation with good vet QB availability requires it, I think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah.  And Wentz is an interesting read as far as his personality.  It comes like he's a weird combination of being really insecure and aloof. 

He’s clearly a problem child to some degree.

The issue in Indy seems to be that the owner wants him out. The HC still wants him. And Ballard is stuck in the middle thinking on the best side of the fence to fall. Does he retain Wentz and take full responsibility for it going sour in 2022. Quite the risk.

I’d take Wentz over Jimmy, Winston, Bridgewater, Trubisky, Mariota.

We could seriously load up in the draft with all picks in order that we currently hold.

Clearly I want us to aim higher first.

• Like 1

Forgot about the Falcons picking before us.  I could see the Panthers taking Pickett, and then the Falcons taking Willis.  Which would leave us to pick Corral.  Who is my #2 in the draft.  But I have not heard any "noise" from the local guys with regards to Corral to the Commanders.  I've heard it about Pickett, Willis, and Ridder.  And Ridder just is "meh" to me.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I do agree that Ridder could go now in the late first.  5th year thing and IMO he needed to showcase freak athletcism and he did just that.

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 11.19.32 AM.png

I would too as for pure talent.

I understand if Pickett is there are 11 and they take him

I really don't like the idea of the others at 11 and have been happy to hear that is has been the teams take

I am cool with Coral or Willis at like 18 or 20 but I doubt they will be able to trade back.

They will need to pull the trigger are 11 or wait until the second round

I could see Howell dropping into the 2nd round. Someone will get a decent value if that occurs

2 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Forgot about the Falcons picking before us.  I could see the Panthers taking Pickett, and then the Falcons taking Willis.  Which would leave us to pick Corral.  Who is my #2 in the draft.  But I have not heard any "noise" from the local guys with regards to Corral to the Commanders.  I've heard it about Pickett, Willis, and Ridder.  And Ridder just is "meh" to me.  

Corral has been flying under the radar because teams haven't seen him throw in over 2 months. He wasn't eligible at the Senior Bowl and didn't participate in the combine so I expect his pro day to be a pretty big deal. I am sure everyone is wondering if he's fully recovered and if he can move like he did before (and since he played 2021 on two injured ankles if he's fully healed up)

10 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Agree on Willis to ATL, Isn’t he from there too?

1 hour ago, MrJL said:

as some people have pointed out, as a fifth year senior he's already 23.  He'll be 24 before training camp.  Maybe he did so well in his last year cause he was a man playing against boys

It's like drafting the college basketball senior over all the freshman that are available become of "readiness". Ignoring the fact that 45 other players from the senior's class had declared early for the draft over the previous 3 years. Although it's not this extreme, guys like Brandon Weeden and Chris Weinke come to mind. Being older does help. And the fact Pickett never did anything before that is troubling.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I do agree that Ridder could go now in the late first.  5th year thing and IMO he needed to showcase freak athletcism and he did just that.

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 11.19.32 AM.png

I've thought about this and it would come into play with the Falcons or another team that's interested.  IF Willis is one of the two RR really wants, RR needs to consider a trade up to get their guy.  Giants sit at #7.  No go.  They also sit at #5.  No go.  So we'd have to move up with the Jets at #4.  Using the ole NFL draft chart value it would take at minimum, our 2022 2nd and 3rd, possibly 2022 2nd and 4th round picks.  More than likely we trade 2023 draft capital as we have need this year.  

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim doesn't make things up for kicks.  He's probably said the same on at least 8 different podcasts as to Strong, its been mentioned on this thread for months so its nothing new.  But you can refuse to believe it if you choose of course.😀

Still refusing, because it makes no sense.

His knee situation isn't something that can be "cleared".  It's bad.  Blood flow issues could reoccur.  Knee might still need drainings from heavy use like last college season.  Further degradation and instability from an extremely rare (for professional sports) procedure.  There's no reason to think his knee is going to get better from what it currently is.

Coaches and FO have talked about key traits that QB's must have to succeed.  Navigate the pocket, sidestep pressure, buy time, etc.  Tom Brady wasn't athletic but he moved around the pocket extremely well to buy time.  Strong doesn't fit any of the "buying time" traits that the team wants.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1