Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

44 minutes ago, MrJL said:

wanting to get a franchise QB doesn't make them one.  If they draft someone with 11 that they legitimately believe is going to be there at 42 then they're wasting their pick

That is true. I think that will be an issue. Desperation and then picking the wrong guy just to say we got a QB in the draft. 

32 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Who do you think that guy is, zC?

I watched the QB's drills yesterday and Willis looked good. 

Edited by zCommander

If the draft plays out like this then we will end up with Ridder - I am assuming Carolina and Denver are the only teams that go QB before our pick. 

Ridder didn't have the same "Wow" moments with his arm that Willis did, and he wasn't as accurate in making all the throws the way Pickett was. But he did more than enough overall to make himself the No. 3 QB on the board. Given the high number of QB-needy teams, Willis, Pickett and Ridder should all be gone by No. 20 overall, or when the post-Ben Roethlisberger Steelers pick.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-combine-results-2022-draft-quarterback-workouts-malik-willis-kenny-pickett-desmond-ridder/t20uzy4dmdyynegm8y1kn8wa

Edited by zCommander
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, zCommander said:

If the draft plays out like this then we will end up with Ridder - I am assuming Carolina and Denver are the only teams that go QB before our pick. 

Ridder didn't have the same "Wow" moments with his arm that Willis did, and he wasn't as accurate in making all the throws the way Pickett was. But he did more than enough overall to make himself the No. 3 QB on the board. Given the high number of QB-needy teams, Willis, Pickett and Ridder should all be gone by No. 20 overall, or when the post-Ben Roethlisberger Steelers pick.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-combine-results-2022-draft-quarterback-workouts-malik-willis-kenny-pickett-desmond-ridder/t20uzy4dmdyynegm8y1kn8wa

People are getting way too caught up amd have recency bias. No way is Ridder the 3rd QB off the board. The tape still matters A LOT.

There is not a single legit analyst that has Ridder going that high and 99% have him in round 2 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, VirginiaVibes said:

People are getting way too caught up amd have recency bias. No way is Ridder the 3rd QB off the board. The tape still matters A LOT.

There is not a single legit analyst that has Ridder going that high and 99% have him in round 2 

Apparently he dominated the testing portion of the combine. I saw two mock drafts after the QB skills test where they have us taking Ridder. But it will still come down to where Ron's people have Ridder on their board instead. 

But, there is a remote chance if Rodgers go to Denver then we will end up with Willis. 

Edited by zCommander

1 minute ago, zCommander said:

Apparently he dominated the testing portion of the combine. I saw two mock drafts after the QB skills test where they have us taking Ridder. But it will still come down to where Ron's people have Ridder on their board instead. 

I would be livid if we used the #11 pick on a consensus 2nd round pick with accuracy issues and fumbling problems just because he ran around a cone well. 

Edited by VirginiaVibes
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, VirginiaVibes said:

I would be livid if we used the #11 pick on a consensus 2nd round pick with accuracy issues and fumbling problems just because he ran around a cone well. 

Maybe in a normal draft but you have too many teams that need a qb and will probably pick a qb in the first round when that qb is probably a 2nd round project.

Pittsburgh, Tampa, New Orleans can overreach and draft a first round qb. Detroit with the Rams 32 pick; could get a qb at that spot.

So, there might not even be a qb left that we want in the 2nd round.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

14 minutes ago, VirginiaVibes said:

Those can be corrected with footwork and ball handling.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, zCommander said:

You're posting what I stated before the Combine and we haven't even gotten to the Pro Days yet.  When I first heard of Desmond Ridder, I was like "What?"  Then 3-4 weeks ago I started researching him.  Todd McShay was just on Sportscenter about 12:15am or so probably recorded from earlier who knows, and he was all over Tom Brady in 1999 and he was right.  Now, he is sounding the alarm on Desmond Ridder.  I am not a huge Todd McShay follower, but I agree with him on this.  If the Commanders are not able to draft either Pickett whom Keim has said for weeks they like a lot and Willis who has catapulted himself in the Senior Bowl and I think is the most gifted, the Washington needs to take Desmond at #11.  I mentioned in my post her in this thread that I expected Ridder to be considered in the top 10 or so and I think he fits out scheme and would be a dynamic QB for us.  

P.S.  To all those who want to scream and yell.  Hey, we are all adults.  Let's respect and appreciate each person's thoughts on who they like and why they like their guy at QB.  :)  

7 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Just pointing out that we have Zampese as our QB coach and he's a good one.  Ridder is a first one out last one in kind of guy, intelligent and doesn't make the same mistakes over and over again.

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, skinny21 said:

My rough math, which I’d say I’m pretty conservative with, says -

Covid, scheduling (the short week variety and vs teams off their byes) and our kicking game issues cost us 1 game

Key injuries (and sheer number of games lost) cost us 1 game.  

If Trubisky/Mariota are clear upgrades from Heinicke, that should be another 2 games at least.  

With a far easier schedule, that should be good for at least 2 more games, surely?

So, conservatively, it looks like Trubisky/Mariota should get us 13 wins, but we should probably expect more….

Thus team isn’t a 13 win team.

Those qbs will get you 9-10 wins; maybe 11 wins top.

14 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Good news: With multiple guys looking like they're possibly franchise-caliber QBs all of a sudden, we are in a much better position than we were, say, 1 month ago.

Bad news: this could be the usual off-season media push to focus on the QB position even in a bad draft, and we end up like 2019 where you have 1 guy go 5, another guy go 15, and then a few 2nd/3rd round types. And 3 years later, none are good?

Either way, if the concensus ends up being that Willis, Corral, Pickett and Ridder are all 1st round caliber QBs, that's a very good thing for us. We just won't know if that's the case until the 1st round is over, and we see how many of these guys are drafted.

I also couldn't find anything, thought maybe I had missed some news, but as of now Bridgewater is not re-signed.

Don't buy into the hype. It's still a bad class, but people fall for this EVERY year. Talking up the best of bad options.The good news is that NFL teams generally don't fall for it. It's not like there's suddenly going to be 4-5 first round picks. Yes, there's always some over-drafting and inevitably some picks will fail (you mentioned Daniel Jones as one recent example). But consider this. For as bad as NFL teams can be at evaluating QBs, it's not often they really miss a good one. They are plenty of first round QBs that fail. But there's very, very few non-first round QBs that succeed. So it seems the NFL can at least identify the good ones, even if they over identify some.

• Like 1

@RWJMcShay was 21 years old in 1999, not sure where you get that he was all over Brady and can be credited for that…are you thinking of Kiper? Was he surprisingly a Brady guy? 

20 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Ridder is a first one out last one in kind of guy

Think you meant the other way around, but this is funnier lol 

Edited by Conn
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

No, First one out to practice; last one in from practice. 

Gotcha, that makes sense. Most people use that phrase the other way around “first one in, last one out” in reference to arriving at the facility in the morning and leaving at night.

What did you mean about McShay though, was he publishing rankings in ‘99 when he graduated college? 

13 minutes ago, Conn said:

What did you mean about McShay though, was he publishing rankings in ‘99 when he graduated college? 

On Sportscenter tonight they were talking about McShay valuing Tom Brady in the 3rd round in 1999 on his mock draft.  He must have been doing them then just not on ESPN.  Where ever.  Not sure Conn. :)  Maybe it was a joke by the commentator who was asking him.  Really don't know bud.  :)   

• Like 1

IF we are talking about RR and Co. wanting a vet QB, this is who I'd like to see come to Washington.  RW no go, Rodgers is n't happening.  Why not this guy!

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RWJ said:

IF we are talking about RR and Co. wanting a vet QB, this is who I'd like to see come to Washington.  RW no go, Rodgers is n't happening.  Why not this guy!

I'm down, but the new Raiders coach is rumored to really like Carr.

Question is, if Denver actually does get Rodgers.  Do the Raiders just say the division is silly and stupid, and let's do a mini rebuild for 2024+ when Rodgers has theoretically retired?  Division wins will be brutal when the last two MVP's (Mahomes and Rodgers) are in the division.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zCommander said:

Accuracy is not some easy fix. I don't know where people are getting this from. Just because Josh Allen did it (and it took him 3 years) most QBs who are not accurate in college don't magically become accurate in the NFL. They stay inaccurate.  It's good that Ridder knows his accuracy is bad and is working on it but those are NOT easy fixes

https://www.si.com/college/cincinnati/football/watch-desmond-ridder-discusses-how-he-is-fixing-accuracy-issues-ahead-of-2022-nfl-draft

Also I am sure the Giants felt they could fix Daniel Jones fumbling issues and yet....

Edited by VirginiaVibes
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I'm down, but the new Raiders coach is rumored to really like Carr.

Question is, if Denver actually does get Rodgers.  Do the Raiders just say the division is silly and stupid, and let's do a mini rebuild for 2024+ when Rodgers has theoretically retired?  Division wins will be brutal when the last two MVP's (Mahomes and Rodgers) are in the division.

I made this point as well.

If you end up with Rodgers,Mahomes and Herbert in that division, I’m not sure having Carr at QB gets you very far. And that’s no knock on him, but the competition is simply too good. So LV may be better off just cashing in when he carries maximum value.

P.S.  To all those who want to scream and yell.  Hey, we are all adults.  Let's respect and appreciate each person's thoughts on who they like and why they like their guy at QB.  :)  

Best take of the day.  Thanks for posting it, I could not agree with you more.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jericho said:

Don't buy into the hype. It's still a bad class, but people fall for this EVERY year. Talking up the best of bad options.The good news is that NFL teams generally don't fall for it. It's not like there's suddenly going to be 4-5 first round picks. Yes, there's always some over-drafting and inevitably some picks will fail (you mentioned Daniel Jones as one recent example). But consider this. For as bad as NFL teams can be at evaluating QBs, it's not often they really miss a good one. They are plenty of first round QBs that fail. But there's very, very few non-first round QBs that succeed. So it seems the NFL can at least identify the good ones, even if they over identify some.

In the past the NFL has managed not to fall for it a few times.  2013 is one such year

I love that Russell now knows we are serious and legit want him to be our guy. He can marinate on that and decide for himself what he wants. All he’s got to do is pick up the phone and tell Pete to make it happen. Odds are still against us but I’m happy we made the offer. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Disagree, you want something that bad, you get it. Or don’t bother.

I don't think there is anything to disagee with from my point.  Amari Cooper was a FA.  Stafford was on the trading block.  Wilson is not on the trading block.   That's not a point of opinion but point of fact.

Its mega aggressive for them to make a big offer to a player not on the trading block.  Some would say it is obnoxious for them to do so.  Your point is to make Seattle relent.  Pete Carroll, I know you are 70 and not coaching much longer and don't want to start over and rebuild, and don't want to join the "have not" club at QB -- but that's too bad, tough luck, you are got to suck it up and do it because Ron Rivera wants a QB and his needs come before your own. 

It's not how the NFL works. If it did you might as well force the Chiefs to trade you Mahomes, maybe we should bully the Rams to trade us Aaron Darnold?   Any player you want, you can have. NFL life would be cool that way.

The only sport I follow that sort of works the way you think it should in this case is European football.  In European football, you can tamper to an extent especially via the media and offer an outrageous amount of money and push the player to demand a trade. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thumb up 2

11 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I love that Russell now knows we are serious and legit want him to be our guy. He can marinate on that and decide for himself what he wants. All he’s got to do is pick up the phone and tell Pete to make it happen. Odds are still against us but I’m happy we made the offer. 

Yeah I thought of that, its good to have this in the open IMO. 

• Like 2

I've been on board with Malik Willis for a while, his talent is undeniable. I just hope he hasn't increased his stock to a top 10 pick, as that puts us out of the picture unless we trade up. We are in a good position for a QB in this draft, imagine if we had a top 3 pick and needed a QB in this draft? It would be awful because there's definitely no sure-fire picks at the position this year. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1