Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

14 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Ron isnt the type to turn someone down because of their past if he believes theyve changed. Winston is all by all accounts a good teammate and well liked.

I have said before he is the best of option of a really bad bunch.  He does have the ability to make all throws, his had some success, and will be cheap coming off of injury. He is definitely a step above the other Qb options.

He would be cheaper then JimmyG. He is better then Marrota, Trubisky, and the others. Wentz is on the down right now.I think he is worth a shot but understand why people would not want him.

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Redskins 2021 said:

I have said before he is the best of option of a really bad bunch.  He does have the ability to make all throws, his had some success, and will be cheap coming over injury. He is definitely a step above the other Qb options. 

I dont disagree. He had what 14 tds to 3 picks last year before the injury? And honestly thats without a ton of weapons. NOs offensive pieces are severely overrated in my eyes. Theyve basically got Kamara and Hill whose more of a gimmicky player than full time offensive weapon.

6 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

I dont disagree. He had what 14 tds to 3 picks last year before the injury? And honestly thats without a ton of weapons. NOs offensive pieces are severely overrated in my eyes. Theyve basically got Kamara and Hill whose more of a gimmicky player than full time offensive weapon.

Kamara was a top weapon but I agree there were no other weapons on that team. He is far from perfect but for the price I think he would be ok unless we could get something better.

Edited by Redskins 2021

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I posted my favorite part of that article earlier yesterday.  The use his athleticism part. 

IMHO Trubisky is a bad passer, almost Darnold degree bad but not qute that level bad -- I can't put among his other things his accuracy issues on Nagy, just like I couldn't do the same for Darnold putting it on Gase. 

But the difference with Darnold IMO is Trubisky as a runner is borderline special.  Both in terms of escaping pressure and running in open field.  So I love the whole he's an athlete, let the dude run kind of theme to some of the comments. 

I don't see why he can't be as good as Daniel Jones, he strikes me as the same caliber.  I've seen others make the comparison too and it makes sense to me.  Jones IMO is more accurate than Trubisky.  Similar arm talent.  Trubisky a better runner albeit Jones isn't bad on the move.  I dont see why Trubisky can't be like a 20-25 QB in the league.  Below average play but not wretched.  Jimmy G to me is in the 17-19 category but you'd have to give something up to get him.  Mariota is my top FA -- IMO he's in the 18-21 or so range. 

I wouldn't hate though Trubisky.  I get Jay Gruden's point on a recent podcast that Heinicke could beat Trubisky in training camp.  I wouldn't rule out he's right.  But I'd put money that Trubisky would beat Heinicke in a close competition.  Trubisky IMO has a stronger arm and is a better runner than Heinicke. 

Spring boarding off your comments and the article…

On one hand, Jay’s comment, along with Keim’s(?) about the FO seeing Heinicke as a low end starter (or backup) had made me question whether Trubisky does much for us.  It also made me wonder (considering “plan C” is looking like the most likely outcome) whether those on here that say there’s no way Heinicke starts for us might be a bit premature/overconfident in their take.  Don’t get me wrong, I know the staff is desperate to upgrade from TH, I’m just not convinced it’s quite as straightforward as ‘any qb will be an upgrade because TH is so terrible’.  On the other hand, man, that’s a really glowing group of quotes about Trubisky.  Changed my thinking a bit.

If they do bring him in, I think he’d be given a good amount of rope (depending on how whatever rookie we land fares - assuming we do draft one).  Maybe Heinicke looks better in camp as Trubisky takes some time to get comfy, but 1) I’m guessing the staff will like the promise of his better arm strength/talent, and 2) I highly doubt they’d roll with Heinicke after being so vocal about needing to upgrade the position… unless Heinicke looks far improved, and I don’t see that happening.

To be clear, I wouldn’t be excited about Trubisky coming here, but as a stopgap (costing minimal resources), and considering the potential that he’s a changed man after his time in Buffalo, I’d at least be open minded about him.  Not that I think there’s any chance he turns into a franchise level qb - I’m not looking at him as a reclamation project or a part of our longer term future - but it sounds like he’s got the potential to be an upgrade in terms of bringing enough competency to shoot for over .500.

Although other comments stood out more, I really dig the ones about how he is as a teammate.  I wasn’t certain he’d be a good mentor/example for a rookie, but now I’m leaning toward yes on that front.  If he represents a minor to moderate upgrade and can help a rookie come along (this year’s 2nd rounder and maybe even next year’s 1st rounder… if it went down that way), that’s a win IMO considering a lot of the other options out there.  Heck, it sounds like he’d be a good example for Heinicke too.  Taylor seemed to get in his own head about how to play the game and it sounds like Mitch has had a turnaround/epiphany on that front.

7 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

I'd trust that the coaching staff are more aware about Wentz and his locker room presence than us fans, but based on the recent reports I would have my doubts about bringing him in.

I got to wonder the Colts have had manning, Luck, Brissett, and Rivers. Since Manning and Luck left it's been a new Qb every year. I think there probably is something wrong with Wentz but the Colts need to realize odds of getting a Manning or Luck are almost impossible. It may be worth a one year shot for us if they eat most of salary. There is not alot of options.

Edited by Redskins 2021

6 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

I'd trust that the coaching staff are more aware about Wentz and his locker room presence than us fans, but based on the recent reports I would have my doubts about bringing him in.

Wait... so the coach that drafted him and the only coach Wentz had success with is willing to get rid of him after one year?? if that's not a clue.. I dont know what is. Sounds more like Colts trying to drum up interest in Wents and a high draft pick. I hope Riviera is smart enough not to go after Wentz... He is broken.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I got to wonder the Colts have had manning, Luck, Brissett, and Rivers. Since Manning and Luck left it's been a new Qb every year. I think there probably is something wrong with Wentz but the Colts need to realize odds of getting a Manning or Luck are almost impossible. It may be worth a one year shot for us.

Wentz was having a decent season until the last two games when it mattered, and in those games he folded. Why that happened is the question, and clearly the Colts put the blame on him.

Based on Rivera's comments, I think if we don't end up with Wilson, Carr, etc.,  We're signing Trubisky and drafting someone.

I'm not a big Trubisky fan, but I would let him show he can't be a long term answer before spending a high pick on a QB.....especially the QB's in this draft class.

19 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Your tweet is not showing up. Here you go. :)

I would be ok with this if we cant make the big splash. I feel like our only choice if we cant get a guy we really want, as not fun as it would be, would be to maintain good position as far as draft capital, cap space and a competitive-ish team and have a guy like Wentz on an 'ok for us too' contract with a rookie in the wings. Any rookie lol. That way we give the rookie room to take it an run if he can and stay in position to be aggressive if a guy we like hits the market for whatever reason. 

Problem is thats boring and without a fanbase the FO wont have time to actually do it. And we dont have a fanbase anymore for real. 

Derek Carr likely to command $35 - $40 mil contract but Corry said those kind of contracts are going to be the new norm

Watson is a "cost contain" contract because he's already signed to a long term

Wilson could go to $50 mil by the time his contract is up in 2023

JimmyG likely to benefit from not paying a high pick trade but Corry doesn't see him taking a pay cut of the $26 mil due this year.  He thinks you're probably $30 mil on an extension

Wentz if cut, which Corry is skeptical about said he might do a smaller deal because he's already been paid $15 mil but thinks he's better that other bridge QB's 

Other bridge guys likely to go $10 mil on a one year but the one intrigues Corry is maybe Winston back to Tampa Bay if they can't hit a homerun on QB

Corry said this 2022 draft group of QB's remind him of that 2013 EJ Manuel group

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Your tweet is not showing up. Here you go. :)

Trash!  Keim never posted a tweet or said this.  Beware of this kind of stuff floating around.  Check twitter and the real deal NFL beat reporters to know if it's true.

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

Derek Carr likely to command $35 - $40 mil contract but Corry said those kind of contracts are going to be the new norm

Watson is a "cost contain" contract because he's already signed to a long term

Wilson could go to $50 mil by the time his contract is up in 2023

JimmyG likely to benefit from not paying a high pick trade but Corry doesn't see him taking a pay cut of the $26 mil due this year.  He thinks you're probably $30 mil on an extension

Wentz if cut, which Corry is skeptical about said he might be do a smaller deal because he's already got the $15 mil

Other bridge guys likely to go $10 mil on a one year but the one intrigues Corry is maybe Winston back to Tampa Bay if they can't hit a homerun on QB

Corry said this 2022 draft group of QB's remind him of that EJ Manuel group

Thanks, HigSkin.  Someone or a couple of QBs will succeed in this draft.  JMO.  :)  My thought was 10 mill a year contract on a WInston, Trubisky, Mariota and of those three one or two maybe more but Trubisky I was thinking a 2 year 20 mill with 14 mill guaranteed with 6 mill this year and 8 mill next year.  Just a guess.  Knowing that RR tried to trade for him last year, I believe he's the FA QB bridge target, even though I like Winston better.  I hope it is Winston if we go the FA QB route and draft a QB in the 1st (Pickett) or trade down and select Ridder in the 2nd which has gained some noise from Keim himself of how they like him but in the 2nd.  I hope to hear more on Corral after the Combine and Pro Days.  

37 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Based on Rivera's comments, I think if we don't end up with Wilson, Carr, etc.,  We're signing Trubisky and drafting someone.

I agree with this sentence of your post. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I looked at overthecap and apparently if the Colts cut Wentz; there's a 15 mil cap hit, but if they trade him; there's no cap hit.

If that's true; we shouldn't have to give anything up for him....maybe a swap of 3rd round picks?

The Colts would have to eat most of the contract in the trade. This trade would have to be totally in our favor.

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Pretty sure we could just cut Heineke and he'd stay available all season. 

And he would be available all season since he is already paid until end of 2022. 

If for whatever reason the starting QB, who knows who it would be, gets hurts you would want someone like TH to come in and take over since he already knows the offense. Not sure why some of you are so against this type of situation. It is a good thing to have a high-end backup low-end starter. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zCommander said:

And he would be available all season since he is already paid until end of 2022. 

If for whatever reason the starting QB, who knows who it would be, gets hurts you would want someone like TH to come in and take over since he already knows the offense. Not sure why some of you are so against this type of situation. It is a good thing to have a high-end backup low-end starter. 

The guy will be a top back up Qb in NFL. I dont know why people want him cut. 

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 1

Oof, reading some comments from Colts fans.  They don't paint a pretty picture of Wentz's ability to follow a gameplan.  He's apparently known for doing whatever he wants to do on a play, instead of following how the play functions (order of reads indicating who will likely be open when).  All the misdirection and backfield motion becomes somewhat pointless if the QB doesn't bother reading what the D is doing pre-snap and instead wings it.

3 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

The guy will be a top back up Qb in NFL. I dont know why people want him cut. 

You generally want a backup QB to be a jack-of-all trades type.  Or you've got a solid 3rd stringer who is that.  Someone needs to run the scout team against the 1st team defense in practice to help prep them for the upcoming game.  If we're trying to practice to prepare for a strong armed QB that likes to attempt tight window throws, then Heinicke ain't helping with that.

Alternatively you want the backup QB to be like the starter in skillset, as it helps provide offensive scheme cohesion should the starter get hurt.  As well as get 2nd stringers more practice with a similarly able QB should they get promoted to the starting unit.

I don't think Heinicke needs to be cut, but another QB probably needs to be brought in.