Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I probably am getting ahead of myself with TH but until something better comes along he's the guy I ride with. I see a QB who's improving after the growing pains of being a 1st year starter in the league and who has played a huge part in the 4 wins we have. Teams have won with much less at QB then what TH is bringing each week. Denver won a SB with a noodle armed Peyton Manning, Dilfer in Baltimore, etc....We are gonna take this week to week with TH and I'll bet he does more good things than bad. Like you, I'd love a franchise stud QB but until one comes along I'm gonna enjoy the Heinicke ride and see where it takes us. How he does in the divisional games coming up will be very telling...Dallas and Philly await us. If he can steer us through them then EVERYONE will be praising #4. 

Trying to win with an outlier approach wouldn't be new for this team.  Why couldn't we win with Mark Brunell?  He's a leader.  He can manage a game with the best of them.  He took us to the playoffs and we actually won our last playoff game with him.   Todd Collins was just clutch and willed his team to the playoffs -- why couldn't Collins pull off a Dilfer and win a SB?  Gus is gritty.  Teammates love him.  He's an underdog and fun to root for.  Plenty of examples of that around the league.  Heck the Browns fans were singing the praises of Colt McCoy after season 1. 

Maybe I am just getting old and burnt out. :ols:  I've sold similar narratives of hope over the years.  So I can relate and don't mean to rain on your excitement.  I've thought we escaped the QB dungeon multiple times during the Dan era but eventually the party crashed.  I am not saying the party crashes with Heinicke.  But the narrative is way too familiar to me to just run with it.   There are so many times i am willing to set myself up for disappointment.  We've struck out at QB again and again for about 30 years but we've never been short of teases in that mix -- Heinicke type narratives to interrrupt the losing to give some glimpses of hope.  It's not a new feeling for me. 

I'd feel all in on Heinicke if he had a typical NFL arm or Keim and others start saying Rivera and the FO are all sold in Heinicke so they aren't likely to be in the QB business.  Like I said if those who know him best start selling to the people who cover the team they are out on QBs this draft because they are all in on Heinicke -- that would feel great.  But until that happens i'll stay a little bit of a cynic on him.  Though I do love the dude as a person -- love the intangibles. 

I am not convinced he's a top half of the league QB.  And I got no interest anymore in having a team that's medicore but on occasion, every 4 years or so will eke into the playoffs and lose.  Yes, its better than stinking.  But it also is more or less what we've experienced for the whole Dan tenure.  Doubling down on that doesn't get me jazzed. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I’m real interested in see how TH performs in games where the weather isn’t so optimal. I worry those are the games that his lack of arm strength could be a real concern.

This is an important question. I'm off the opinion that is he cash get us to the playoffs and look respectable doing so, then this is his job going into next year. But coldv weather games will be important for that journey. Not to mention how he looks in the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

This is an important question. I'm off the opinion that is he cash get us to the playoffs and look respectable doing so, then this is his job going into next year. But coldv weather games will be important for that journey. Not to mention how he looks in the playoffs. 

How he looks in the playoffs?  You must be feeling good about how things are going to go.  Hope you are right, I am headed to the Vegas game. :ols:

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is a relevant point.  I don't get this zero sum game that some are presenting involving Heinicke. 

Not only does drafting a QB not = bye bye Heinicke.  It represents his best shot to get another season to prove that he's the guy which the Heinicke Hive seems to be convinced is truth.

They should be rooting for a draft pick.  They should be rooting against an aggressive trade for a veteran.

I gather some are rooting for them to do nothing at QB.  But in their shoes, I'd let that go because I think they are likely bracing for disappointment if so. 

The WFT will see how TH does the rest of the season before committing to any strategy, but it is always wise to draft QB's even if you are happy with the one you have because you never know what can happen.  Just look at the Patriots.  Even with Tom Brady, the GOAT, and even after they just won a SB, the patriots went and drafted a QB, in fact, they would draft 10 QB's during Brady's tenure there, going as high as a 2nd round pick on Garoppolo in 2014

39 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I’m real interested in see how TH performs in games where the weather isn’t so optimal. I worry those are the games that his lack of arm strength could be a real concern.

You have to rely on your running game more in bad weather situations. TH is more than capable of throwing 10+ yards at a time. ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

How he looks in the playoffs?  You must be feeling good about how things are going to go.  Hope you are right, I am headed to the Vegas game. :ols:

That's the bar I've set that I think will at least silence the haters for the offseason. In some ways it's like the Kirk debate where for 3 years he was just a guy then 2015 he's given the reigns and takes us to the playoffs. People (Danny of Grant and Danny) we're begging for us to draft a QB but when Kirk had 2015, he went from calling him just a guy to being one of his num net one fans and no longer calling for a draft pick. 

I am not thinking it will flip the fan base so much, but if Heinicke can take us to the playoffs and look good doing so, it will be hard to take this team from him. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

That's the bar I've set that I think will at least silence the haters for the offseason. In some ways it's like the Kirk debate where for 3 years he was just a guy then 2015 he's given the reigns and takes us to the playoffs. People (Danny of Grant and Danny) we're begging for us to draft a QB but when Kirk had 2015, he went from calling him just a guy to being one of his num net one fans and no longer calling for a draft pick. 

I am not thinking it will flip the fan base so much, but if Heinicke can take us to the playoffs and look good doing so, it will be hard to take this team from him. 

I don't think there are many actual haters of a QB.    it's just disagreement about a player.

Do I think Heinicke is a franchise QB?  Nope.  Do I hate him.  Nope, i love the guy.  Would i love to be wrong?  You bet.   

I also think there is a middle ground on Heinicke that most seem to ignore.  What if he's not a franchise QB?  What if he's better than a back up?  What if he has the potential to be a middle of the pack type QB.  That's where my head is on him.  I am not sold that he's middle of the pack level.  But if he plays well for the rest of the season, I could be talked into it.  I can't be talked into him being a franchise QB right now.  But that's not because I hate him.  It's because of how I see him as a player.  😀

I think with Kirk it was closer to being haters because some really didn't like him as a person.  I on the other hand, liked Kirk as a person.  I saw him interact with my kids multiple times -- and I found him to be one of the nicest athletes I've ever seen up close.  I've shared those stories but I don't feel like doing it again.

28 minutes ago, ananoman said:

The WFT will see how TH does the rest of the season before committing to any strategy, but it is always wise to draft QB's even if you are happy with the one you have because you never know what can happen.  Just look at the Patriots.  Even with Tom Brady, the GOAT, and even after they just won a SB, the patriots went and drafted a QB, in fact, they would draft 10 QB's during Brady's tenure there, going as high as a 2nd round pick on Garoppolo in 2014

I could ride with that point. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My wavering about Heinicke is can he be a middle of the pack QB or is he more of a bottom tier starter.  I think for sure he's a great backup.  In short the ceiling for what I want in a QB in beyond a middle of the pack QB.  

He's under contract next year.  So what do you mean by there is no reason to keep him here?  Let him go in that case to do right by him or am I misconstruing your point?

You are missing my point, hes not going to re-sign next year if we draft a first round QB this year.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for you saying releatedly that you don't like the QB class.  I'll say repeatedly that the QB class is fine and intriguing.   So the idea of them getting desperate fits your narrative but doesn't fit my narrative at all because we are coming at it from the opposite premise.    So lets agree to disagree on that point.

As for you not liking the Qb class, I am curious which QBs are overrated or you don't dig and why? 

I've been following the draft thread and given my limited input there. I even watched the Liberty-Ole Miss game, which was a huge let down from a QB scouting perspective.

Like you mentioned, there is no cant miss prospect that would undoubtedly go #1 or even 1-2.  And as I've said in that thread I'll feel more comfortable with who is NFL ready by the time the combines are through.

We really need to do our homework here since we are dropping in the draft, something we have no history of doing right.  Id be far more comfortable trading up for a can't miss prospect then taking a gamble in the bottom half of the draft in a QB class thats "fine". 

Without that cant miss prospect or draft capital to trade up to get the best one in this class, im fine with punting until next year. We really can't afford to get this one wrong, Ron won't get a chance to pick another one if he muffs on his first one.  Is this really the year to do it?

1 hour ago, ananoman said:

Agreed.  Take a shot every year.  HOWEVER!  I'm not in favor of taking a QB just to get one.  However, if rounds 1 - 3 if you can get a player you think will start then you do that over a QB you're not in love with.  Fourth round and down though I'd say take a shot.  Even if Heinicke earns the right to start next year though and a QB is rated BPA in the first round when the WFT picks then you draft him.  I've got no problems with that.  Doesn't mean he has to start.  Let the QB's compete of course but do not just give a player a job based on draft position.  Earn it!  The old-fashioned way. 

22 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You are missing my point, hes not going to re-sign next year if we draft a first round QB this year.

OK so you mean him resigning in 2022 for future years.   I am not really thinking about Heinicke being the future.  I don't see this as apples to apples with Kirk back in the day.  So I really don't care or at least i don't at this present time.  I'd care if the following happened.  He burned it up in the last 7 games and Rivera was sold on him being the guy -- but if that happened they wouldn't likely be drafting a QB in the first round.  So either way, I am not losing sleep on it.  My point is it will work itself out if we trust Rivera. 

I've been following the draft thread and given my limited input there. I even watched the Liberty-Ole Miss game, which was a huge let down from a QB scouting perspective.

OK as to that game, Corral had a 187 QB rating for it, which is insane.   20 for 27 for over 300 yards.   Willis started off shaky but came on in the 2nd half.  Wasn't that bad IMO. 

We really need to do our homework here since we are dropping in the draft, something we have no history of doing right.  Id be far more comfortable trading up for a can't miss prospect then taking a gamble in the bottom half of the draft in a QB class thats "fine". 

Bruce Allen and Cerrato aren't running the draft.  And hopefully Dan isn't making the pick.  If it were Bruce, Cerrato or Dan making the call, I'd worry.  But I'll trust Rivera and company that they are a peg or two smarter than those clowns.

Without that cant miss prospect or draft capital to trade up to get the best one in this class, im fine with punting until next year. We really can't afford to get this one wrong, Ron won't get a chance to pick another one if he muffs on his first one.  Is this really the year to do it?

The can't miss prospect is irrelevant to the discussion IMO.  If its a dude like that they are going #1.  And historically i don't think we've ever had that #1 pick.  If Kyler Murray was in this draft it would mean nothing to me because we aren't drafting #1 and whomever is drafting #1 won't be trading that pick.

I hate relying on the 2nd-4th round and hope to get lucky at finding a franchise QB.  But between 10-20 in the first round? Or the 3rd to 5th best QB?   It happens plenty enough where its not a total crap shoot like the mid rounds.  We've done it stupidly.    it doesn't mean this next crew will be likewise dumb.  Mahomes was considered "flawed" at the time.  I recall the discussion in the draft thread about him.  Watson threw too many picks.  Matt Jones didn't have enough arm to him and his stats were inflated because of all his weapons.  Josh Allen was too wild, where is the accuracy, and consider his compettion?  Lamar Jackson is really a RB and not a QB.  Herbert is too erratic. 

I can go on and on.  With hindsight, we say such and such QB is no Mahomes.  Come on how can you even compare the two.  But that's revisionist history.  Mahomes wasn't Mahomes until he showcased what he can do.  Beofre that he was a flawed QB who some thought could drop into the 2nd round.   And, he came out in what was considered a poor draft.

For me, I do think some of these guys have some talent and I've hit those points hard in the draft thread. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK so you mean him resigning in 2022 for future years.   I am not really thinking about Heinicke being the future.  I don't see this as apples to apples with Kirk back in the day.  So I really don't care at least i don't at this present time.  I'd care if the following happened.  He burned it up in the last 7 games and Rivera was sold on him being the guy -- but if that happened they wouldn't likely be drafting a QB in the first round.  So either way, I am not losing sleep on it.  My point is it will work itself out if we trust Rivera. 

Hell, I trusted Gibbs and he still got it wrong drafting Campbell.  I wish I had more confidence we could the draft the guy we need with a later pick, but I dont.

OK as to that game, Corral had a 187 QB rating for it, which is insane.   20 for 27 for over 300 yards.   Willis started off shky but came on in the 2nd half.

I'm comfortable with Willis as a project if he drops to the second, but I doubt that happens.  And of course Carrol shredded them, he looked like he wasn't even trying Liberty was so over matched.

Bruce Allen and Cerrato aren't running the draft.  And hopefully Dan isn't making the pick.  If it were Bruce, Cerrato or Dan making the call, I'd worry.  But I'll trust Rivera and company that they are a peg or two smarter than those clowns.

Trust is earned, not given. 

The can't miss prospect is irrelevant to the discussion IMO.  If its a dude like that they are going #1.  And historically i don't think we've ever had that #1 pick.  If Kyler Murray was in this draft it would mean nothing to me because we aren't drafting #1 and whomever is drafting #1 won't be trading that pick.

Basically were trapped with what's left, thats encouraging.  Even making it to #2 would make more more comfortable then bottom half of the draft, which is where we are headed. 

Last year three QBs in a row got drafted, thats how desperate folks are to get this solved, with a lot of drafts only producing one or two guys tops that actually amount to anything.

I know I'm being extremely pessimist here, and this doesn't help:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ron-rivera-reveals-how-close-the-panthers-were-to-drafting-gabbert-over-newton/

I hate relying on the 2nd-4th round and hope to get lucky at finding a franchise QB. 

And no one is suggesting that.

But between 10-20 in the first round? Or the 3rd to 5th best QB?   It happens plenty.  We've done it stupidly.    it doesn't mean this next crew will be likewise dumb.  Mahomes was considered "flawed" at the time.  I recall the discussion in the draft thread about him.  Watson threw too many picks.  Matt Jones didn't have enough arm to him and his stats were inflated because of all his weapons.  Josh Allen was too wild, where is the accuracy, and consider his compettion?  Lamar Jackson is really a RB and not a QB.  Herbert is too erratic. 

I can go on and on.  With hindsight, we say such and such QB is no Mahomes.  Come on.  But that's revisionist history.  Mahomes wasn't Mahomes until he showcased what he can do.  He came out in what was considered a poor draft.

For me, I do think some of these guys have some talent and I've hit those points hard in the draft thread. 

You are putting your faith in them to get this right, I jus dont have it.  This isnt about revisionist history, this is about actual history.  And there's really no way to prove to me we can get this right until we do it at least once.  

I really don't have a choice but to see how this plays out.  Agree that Taylor has to finish this season strong to hold off on drafting a first round QB and if he does things will work themselves out. If he fails, so be it, im going to lose this debate and we will draft a QB anyway.  Then we get to do this all over again. Again.

I disagree with Renegade7 that drafting a 1st round rookie necessarily means Heinicke will be gone. If you draft a guy but Heinicke legitimately turns into the next Romo then you have a valuable trade chip.

I think Sweat gets traded as part of a package to move up in the 1st this year and grab one of the top QB prospects. Heinicke likely starts next season because of his experience in Scott's system and we get another year to see how much he's improved while grooming the rookie. If at some point the rookie outshines Heinicke, you roll with the kid. If Heinicke keeps improving, give the rookie the Rodgers treatment for a few years. In the meantime, build up the rest of the roster.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't think there are many actual haters of a QB.    it's just disagreement about a player.

Do I think Heinicke is a franchise QB?  Nope.  Do I hate him.  Nope, i love the guy.  Would i love to be wrong?  You bet.   

So I think this is a discussion of semantics. I'm saying that people who are saying he's not a starting QB or not the future are the haters. It's not the same, and you have yourself some leeway with this last post, but it's like people have been calling him a backup since Tampa last year. If that's what he measures it to, so be it, but I think he's gunning for a starting job. 

So I'm adding myself what would it take to convince Sheehan or HogsHaven (I think it's Kevin Smith for gm) or some others who say he's just a really good backup? And one thing you don't see too often is a QB least3 their team to the playoffs and be replaced. Well it happened with Keenum but that's normally enough. 

16 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I disagree with Renegade7 that drafting a 1st round rookie necessarily means Heinicke will be gone. If you draft a guy but Heinicke legitimately turns into the next Romo then you have a valuable trade chip.

You won't get a first round pick for them, especially if there's no tape of the rookie playing at this level.  This is why we should wait until next draft to get a QB.  If Taylor is the guy, use the pick on something else.  If he isn't the guy, let Taylor walk, dont overpay a fringe starter to be a backup.

16 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I think Sweat gets traded as part of a package to move up in the 1st this year and grab one of the top QB prospects. Heinicke likely starts next season because of his experience in Scott's system and we get another year to see how much he's improved while grooming the rookie. If at some point the rookie outshines Heinicke, you roll with the kid. If Heinicke keeps improving, give the rookie the Rodgers treatment for a few years. In the meantime, build up the rest of the roster.

Has anyone ever done that before?  If Taylor gets extended and this first round pick never plays, was it worth taking him in the first place?  Its wasting a first round pick doing this, we should wait until next year to confirm if replacing Taylor is neccesary.  When stuff gets thrown around like next Romo or Rodgers treatment, its at least an admission that that could happen.

29 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Hell, I trusted Gibbs and he still got it wrong drafting Campbell.  I wish I had more confidence we could the draft the guy we need with a later pick, but I dont.

I love Gibbs but he was so past his prime as for knowing offense when he came back that he benched himself as the offensive coordinator.  Plus he was never the talent evaulator during the glory years, that was Beathard.

I'm comfortable with Willis as a project if he drops to the second, but I doubt that happens.  And of course Carrol shredded them, he looked like he wasn't even trying Liberty was so over matched.

You'll be lucky he drops out of the top 10 let alone to the 2nd.  Corral has played well in most of his games not just that one though.

Trust is earned, not given. 

Not in this context.  If I am hiring someone to make a call like that and I don't trust them.   Then I made the wrong hire.  

Basically were trapped with what's left, thats encouraging.  Even making it to #2 would make more more comfortable then bottom half of the draft, which is where we are headed. 

Bottom half of the draft?  So a playoff run?  I am not counting on that.  I'd love for you to be right.  If it goes down like that -- count me with you being worried about Heinicke, we'd need to lock him up, if this season ends up that good.

Last year three QBs in a row got drafted, thats how desperate folks are to get this solved, with a lot of drafts only producing one or two guys tops that actually amount to anything.

I know I'm being extremely pessimist here, and this doesn't help:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ron-rivera-reveals-how-close-the-panthers-were-to-drafting-gabbert-over-newton/

Keim also said that he was told Hurney was infatuated with Herbert.  

Someone suggested that on the thread just yesterday let alone no one does.  The 2nd-4th round pick idea has been suggested by plenty over the years.  I recall it well because I've debated them on it and have done it plenty.

You are putting your faith in them to get this right, I jus dont have it.  This isnt about revisionist history, this is about actual history.  And there's really no way to prove to me we can get this right until we do it at least once.  

If you don't think they can do it. I'd want them gone then in your shoes.  To each their own.  If I felt the powers that be didn't have the competence to pick a QB, I am then ready for the next regime.  But that's me.  I do have confidence right now though in their competence.  I am not guaranteeing it but I do think Rivera and company are smart.

As for revisionist history, I think your point applies better if the same people are making the decisions.  If I am working for a client.  I am not beholden to what the previous consultant did for the client.  One has nothing to do with another.

If we draft a rookie QB very high and Heinicke turns into Tom Brady, then that's ****ing AWESOME!!! Who gives a **** if we "wasted a pick" if we have a starter like that? 

Who cares if a rookie has to sit for a year or two, because the guy we signed when we had absolutely nobody turned into the next Tom Brady? NOBODY!

If Heinicke lights it up and does incredible, does anyone actually think we'll let him walk, just because we drafted a guy? Of course not. That's absurd.

If we draft a QB, even if we use two 1rsts to get him and Heinicke blows up to be even better he will keep his job and get resigned and even if that rookie just magically turns to dust and we get nothing for him, it doesn't matter because we already have a QB and if that's the road it took to get there, so be it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If we draft a rookie QB very high and Heinicke turns into Tom Brady, then that's ****ing AWESOME!!! Who gives a **** if we "wasted a pick" if we have a starter like that? 

Who cares if a rookie has to sit for a year or two, because the guy we signed when we had absolutely nobody turned into the next Tom Brady? NOBODY!

If Heinicke lights it up and does incredible, does anyone actually think we'll let him walk, just because we drafted a guy? Of course not. That's absurd.

If we draft a QB, even if we use two 1rsts to get him and Heinicke blows up to be even better he will keep his job and get resigned and even if that rookie just magically turns to dust and we get nothing for him, it doesn't matter because we already have a QB and if that's the road it took to get there, so be it. 

He's not going to be Tom Brady and wasting two first round picks is a big fan deal.

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You won't get a first round pick for them, especially if there's no tape of the rookie playing at this level.  This is why we should wait until next draft to get a QB.  If Taylor is the guy, use the pick on something else.  If he isn't the guy, let Taylor walk, dont overpay a fringe starter to be a backup.

Putting all your eggs in one basket is a risky decision.I also think you're overestimating what other teams would pay for someone like Taylor if he went to FA. 

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

He's not going to be Tom Brady and wasting two first round picks is a big fan deal.

Correct. He is not Tom Brady and we are not going to waste 2 first round picks. 

He's going to win the starting job for next season and we are going to draft a rookie. It'll be called an open competition that will be won by Heinicke and he will be our starter. 

If he gets injured or has a string of crappy games again, the rookie may start. If he plays great, he may get a contract extension and continue to start.

Brady Bloodsoe, Alex Mahomes, Montana Young, Farve Rodgers, etc. These things happen and there are a heck of a lot of amazing QBs far better than Taylor Heinicke who were beat out by younger guys on the bench and it was better for the team. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You know who else had an incredibly hot start to the career and had fans clamoring for the team to lock him up as their next franchise QB?

The guy who couldn't even get into a game when Taylor struggled.

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Correct. He is not Tom Brady and we are not going to waste 2 first round picks. 

He's going to win the starting job for next season and we are going to draft a rookie. It'll be called an open competition that will be won by Heinicke and he will be our starter. 

If he gets injured or has a string of crappy games again, the rookie may start. If he plays great, he may get a contract extension and continue to start.

Brady Bloodsoe, Alex Mahomes, Montana Young, Farve Rodgers, etc. These things happen and there are a heck of a lot of amazing QBs far better than Taylor Heinicke who were beat out by younger guys on the bench and it was better for the team. 

Pretty much the truth. Best case scenario, draft someone high and let the best man win.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

You know who else had an incredibly hot start to the career and had fans clamoring for the team to lock him up as their next franchise QB?

The guy who couldn't even get into a game when Taylor struggled.

Pretty much the truth. Best case scenario, draft someone high and let the best man win.

I gotta hand it to @Renegade7 though. Most of us are worried we don't have a starter at the QB position and he's upset because there will be too much competition at the position to keep an XFL guy that was out of the league this time last year. Very optimistic disaster looming. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I gotta hand it to @Renegade7 though. Most of us are worried we don't have a starter at the QB position and he's upset because there will be too much competition at the position to keep an XFL guy that was out of the league this time last year. Very optimistic disaster looming. 

I do admire his loyalty towards doing whatever it takes to keep him in a WFT uniform until he retires.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1