Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

3 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

As far as competition for Trubisky, I could see Pittsburgh making a real effort for him.  Tomlin talked about having some mobility at the position.  And while he’s no Murray, Mitchel can run a little bit.  He’s not a statue.  Sitting at #20, it may be their best approach.

Speaking for myself, i don't give a rats behind if some other team signs Trubisky.

Having said that, there are other project QBs on the market with mobility like Marota or T. Taylor.   So Tomlin isn't boxed in to just Trubisky if mobility is his thing.

It strikes me weird that Trubisky would have a ho hum market last year but it turns around this year.  Is the logic, that there are more teams looking?

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I think Pittsburgh is going all in for Malik Willis. I have no sources. Just gut.

Perhaps.  But it could get pretty pricey for them.  And with FA before the draft, they run the risk of striking out on both and stuck with Rudolph and Haskins.  I could see them say, hey, let’s put $8M out there got Trubisky and not have that deter their play to get Willis.  Similar to those here who advocate a FA and early draft pick approach.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think so too but with a rookie.  It won't be just him.

I think there are some nuances as for people's positions on this depending on whose posting.

Speaking for myself, I put a lot of time now on Trubisky.  Just like I did put a lot of time in the past on Rosen, Darnold, Mariota when they were seen on the trading block.

The idea that Gase sucks hence Darnold might be the right guy in the right environment was beaten hard last year by some, especially in the media.  i watched a lot of Darnold.  And I think if you do that with a QB you can get a sense of key things that happen in the heat of the battle in a game.  Do they stare at WRs or not, use body language to manipulate safeties, accuracy on all three levels, touch, decision making, etc.

I am doing it in amatuerish way but heck we are not experts we are just having fun spewing takes.  And at least trying to put some effort in our takes.   My take after watching Rosen and Darnold was a loud yuck back in the day and i explained why.  I liked Mariota more than I expected to but I didn't see him as a likely successful reclamation project.  I like him though over Trubisky.

As far as Trubisky goes.  My take and I explained in detail a few days back why is that he has it in him to be a middiling QB to slightly lesser than that -- maybe 18-24.  I don't think he will be a flaming bust.  But I'd be beyond surprised, i'd be mega shocked if he ends up our solution.  He has some limitations IMHO that are evident that I can't blame on Nagy. 

Agree.  You got to keep an open mind for better or worse.  Purely narratives and stats and what other people say shouldn't IMO drive a take on a QB.  To me that stuff is gravy but shouldn't drive an opinon.

in my view when it comes to having an opinion about the QB, watch that QB and watch him a lot.  And then if you like him or not its based on some logic via your own eyes, and in that case its a sound opinion whether that opinion is proven right or wrong.

I agree that Trubisky needs some work. He is FAR from a finished product but my take on him, and we all have opinions good and bad, is that he is probably the toughest of all of these QB's to get a fair read on. The best analogy I can give is that I would compare him to a woman that you want to date who has been in several abusive relationships. She may be a great woman but she's going to have a lot of scars that she carries with her from all of that abuse. She may overcome them. She may not.  Lets not kid ourselves, the way that Nagy treated Trubisky was out and out abusive. The fact that Trubisky didn't completely blow a gasket says a lot about his fortitude as a person. Can he salvaged? Based upon the comments that have come out of Buffalo and that is really what causes me the most optimism, the answer is YES. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am ok with Jmmy G depending on the price.  I don't love it but also don't hate it.

I don't really care about the price that much. Drastic times, drastic measures. Ron cheaped out last year and now he's gonna have to pay a premium.

and if we're in a bidding war for Jimmy G, that means everything better wasn't available to us for one reason or another.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Speaking for myself, i don't give a rats behind if some other team signs Trubisky.

Having said that, there are other project QBs on the market with mobility like Marota or T. Taylor.   So Tomlin isn't boxed in to just Trubisky if mobility is his thing.

It strikes me weird that Trubisky would have a ho hum market last year but it turns around this year.  Is the logic, that there are more teams looking?

The logic is that all anyone had to go on was a so so career in Chicago. Now everything has come out on how much that Nagy abused and disrespected him in Chicago and how much Buffalo absolutely loves him and raves about him. It's causing people to think that "possibly" he could be a lot better QB in a different environment. 

I wouldnt be surprised if the Steelers go the tank route. The franchise has a ton of good will capital built up with the fan base. A year to get some contracts in place. Trade back a time or two and work on their oline while they position for a top 5-10 pick should be their play. 

4 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

I wouldnt be surprised if the Steelers go the tank route. The franchise has a ton of good will capital built up with the fan base. A year to get some contracts in place. Trade back a time or two and work on their oline while they position for a top 5-10 pick should be their play. 

I can't see any scenario where that would happen with Mike Tomlin there. He's a fierce competitor who has never had a losing season in his coaching career and he wants to keep that record intact. The only way this happens is if someone trades for Tomlin and they get a new coach and I can't see that happening either. Pittsburgh would be the laughing stock of the league to let a coach like him get away. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Perhaps.  But it could get pretty pricey for them.  And with FA before the draft, they run the risk of striking out on both and stuck with Rudolph and Haskins.  I could see them say, hey, let’s put $8M out there got Trubisky and not have that deter their play to get Willis.  Similar to those here who advocate a FA and early draft pick approach.

Reports say they like Haskins. So I’m not sure they’d view it as “stuck” like we do.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Reports say they like Haskins. So I’m not sure they’d view it as “stuck” like we do.

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The coaches also called Haskins lazy back in November when Ben was out.  Said he wasn’t prepared to be the backup that game.  So maybe they like him, but that’s an odd way of showing it.

• Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, VaK9Trainer said:

I can't see any scenario where that would happen with Mike Tomlin there. He's a fierce competitor who has never had a losing season in his coaching career and he wants to keep that record intact. The only way this happens is if someone trades for Tomlin and they get a new coach and I can't see that happening either. Pittsburgh would be the laughing stock of the league to let a coach like him get away. 

He has nearly unlimited Rope. They can definitely sell internally that it would be for the betterment of the franchise. And honestly they would be right. 

35 minutes ago, VaK9Trainer said:

The logic is that all anyone had to go on was a so so career in Chicago. Now everything has come out on how much that Nagy abused and disrespected him in Chicago and how much Buffalo absolutely loves him and raves about him. It's causing people to think that "possibly" he could be a lot better QB in a different environment. 

I've tried to read what I could about Trubisky.   As for the Bills absolutely loving him, I am trying to find what that is aside from the typical we love the guy we just acquired that teams often push when they sign someone and that signing plays out early on.  

I am assuming its that article below?

I do agree with Beane's point that he's a starting caliber QB.  But in my view, for reasons I stated in depth in another post, a below average starting QB.  The more i watched Trubisky the more I struggled to find a comp that I thought at least in my mind that fits him -- and the dude that he reminds me of in some ways, and in some ways not is Daniel Jones.  But in terms of what caliber of QB, Daniel Jones IMHO fits it to a tee.   Daniel Jones IMO isn't that good, he's below average IMO but he isn't awful. And he's indeed a starter.  Do I want Daniel Jones starting for my team?  Nope.  Would I like him as a backup?  Sure why not.

Trubisky isn't my favorite backup option among these FA QBs.  But I wouldn't hate it.  On some off chance, Rivera decides to ride Trubisky as Plan A, that I would hate like a thousand suns level hate. But I don't think that's the card he plays.

If they sign him, they can always use him like the Raiders use Mariota -- bringing him in the red zone where he is a running threat.  i don't think much of Trubisky as a passer for reasons I explained before.  But I dig his ability to move and run.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/why-the-bills-and-mitchell-trubisky-are-a-perfect-match-at-the-perfect-time

The Trubisky signing was a win-win for the team and the player. The Bills were able to add valuable depth to the quarterback position and Trubisky can take a year to work on himself and his game. Trubisky will be able to lean on talented quarterbacks and coaches while in Buffalo to ask questions and seek advice. When he was signed earlier this spring, general manager Brandon Beane knew that Trubisky had found a good home, at least for this season.

"This is a reset for him," Beane said back in March. "We don't expect him to be here long-term, and this is a kind of a one-year thing. Probably not in his plans when he was drafted where he was, but we hope it's a great reset for him. Sean will make you be the best version of yourself here in Buffalo. Then hopefully in a year, he'll get a chance to go back and land a nice contract and a starting job somewhere. We have no doubt that that'll happen but we're excited to add him here in the mix."

Trubisky was pleased to hear Beane say that about him. He knows that there is a lot he can learn this season and is grateful to the Bills for giving him this opportunity.

"I think hearing him say that gives me confidence because he believes I am a starting-caliber quarterback," Trubisky said. "I believe that as well, so you never know what's going to happen but I'm here to stay in the moment. Just give everything I can to this team and my teammates and be the best teammate and player I can be. Continue to progress in honing my skills so I feel like I'm in the right place and we'll get to that next year. Right now I'm just lucky to be a part of this team. I'm looking forward to a really great year with the Bills."

22 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

Pre-draft nonsense. 

This has been the report since way before the pre draft period. 

I think they’re making a mistake if true. But it’s not a new report in the wake of the draft. 

20 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

The coaches also called Haskins lazy back in November when Ben was out.  Said he wasn’t prepared to be the backup that game.  So maybe they like him, but that’s an odd way of showing it.

Tomlin has seemed to indicate he needs guidance. I think he views Haskins as a reclamation project that he wants to make work. But we’ll find out. I know I wouldn’t hitch my wagon to him.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think the reason is the same reason that the College QB's in the 2021 draft were so valued is that there were some of them with little current "film" on them.  No film, no chance to uncover/remember the bad tendencies or weak areas.

Mitch Trubisky attempted 8 passes last year.

:229:The Rook

Edited by The Rook

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've tried to read what I could about Trubisky.   As for the Bills absolutely loving him, I am trying to find what that is aside from the typical we love the guy we just acquired that teams often push when they sign someone and that signing plays out early on.  

I do agree with Beane's point that he's a starting caliber QB.  But in my view, for reasons I stated in depth in another post, a below average starting QB.  The more i watched Trubisky the more I struggled to find a comp that I thought at least in my mind that fits him -- and the dude that he reminds me of in some ways, and in some ways not is Daniel Jones.  But in terms of what caliber of QB, Daniel Jones IMHO fits it to a tee.   Daniel Jones IMO isn't that good, he's below average IMO but he isn't awful. And he's indeed a starter.  Do I want Daniel Jones starting for my team?  Nope.  Would I like him as a backup?  Sure why not.

Trubisky isn't my favorite backup option among these FA QBs.  But I wouldn't hate it.  On some off chance, Rivera decides to ride Trubisky as Plan A, that I would hate like a thousand suns level hate. But I don't think that's the card he plays.

If they sign him, they can always use him like the Raiders use Mariota -- bringing him in the red zone where he is a running threat.  i don't think much of Trubisky as a passer for reasons I explained before.  But I dig his ability to move and run.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/why-the-bills-and-mitchell-trubisky-are-a-perfect-match-at-the-perfect-time

The Trubisky signing was a win-win for the team and the player. The Bills were able to add valuable depth to the quarterback position and Trubisky can take a year to work on himself and his game. Trubisky will be able to lean on talented quarterbacks and coaches while in Buffalo to ask questions and seek advice. When he was signed earlier this spring, general manager Brandon Beane knew that Trubisky had found a good home, at least for this season.

"This is a reset for him," Beane said back in March. "We don't expect him to be here long-term, and this is a kind of a one-year thing. Probably not in his plans when he was drafted where he was, but we hope it's a great reset for him. Sean will make you be the best version of yourself here in Buffalo. Then hopefully in a year, he'll get a chance to go back and land a nice contract and a starting job somewhere. We have no doubt that that'll happen but we're excited to add him here in the mix."

Trubisky was pleased to hear Beane say that about him. He knows that there is a lot he can learn this season and is grateful to the Bills for giving him this opportunity.

"I think hearing him say that gives me confidence because he believes I am a starting-caliber quarterback," Trubisky said. "I believe that as well, so you never know what's going to happen but I'm here to stay in the moment. Just give everything I can to this team and my teammates and be the best teammate and player I can be. Continue to progress in honing my skills so I feel like I'm in the right place and we'll get to that next year. Right now I'm just lucky to be a part of this team. I'm looking forward to a really great year with the Bills."

No, I heard something different and i honestly can't remember where I heard it. It may have been from a talk radio show, I'm not sure, but the Buffalo coaches were really praising him. As the saying goes, "We will See". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VaK9Trainer said:

Causing people to think that "possibly" I guess you never know.  It happened to some extent with Darnold.  And Carolina indeed was willing to pay the price and have that script play out.

Will see.  After watching enough of Trubisky, the Nagy narrative means nothing to me.   Just like the Gase narrative didn't move me about Darnold.  But that's just my take.  I considered Nagy but IMO there was plenty to see that can showcase the QB and their skills removed from him. 

Trubisky's accuracy charts mirror Darnold to a tee.  It wasn't just bad but abysmal.  He stares at receivers and doesn't use body language well IMO to throw off defenses including sell play action. He seems to lock on his first read.  By his own admission he doesn't always read defenses well and can have happy feet.   I know this part is subjective but watching his interviews he comes off to me like a nice guy but also unusually jockish for a QB.  It's hard for me to explain outside of i watch a lot of QB interviews and Trubisky is one of the least impressive interviews for my taste for various reasons. 

27 fumbles in 4 years.    His low YPA, keeping it safe should help jack up his numbers.  His numbers for big time throws in a game is pretty bad.  In other words, he doesn't really press defenses much. And when he does go deep, at least according to PFf metrics, he's really bad at it compared to the rest of the NFL.

There is so much I can put on Nagy.  But as a backup, I like him.  Mainly because I like his mobility.  Go heavy RPO-RO.  He's good at rolling in the pocket IMO and making some off platform throws. Decent with quick outs.  He's IMO a below average QB but not awful.  If you bring him in a game, I think you can be competitive.  Do i think he's the dude for the long haul?  not even a little.  But who knows?  

Mike Shanahan who knows his way around the position told Sheehan recently he doesn't believe in Trubisky.  I don't believe in him either but as a backup, I think he'd be one of the better backups in the league.  i don't think he's a disaster by a long shot.  

Edit:  As I mentioned in another post, one thing I liked from that preseason game with the Bills was he wasn't staring at receivers the same way so maybe they worked with him on that. 

https://fansided.com/2020/12/06/mitch-trubisky-career-chicago-over/

Mitch Trubisky fumbled away his career in Chicago

33 minutes ago, The Rook said:

Touche

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Bills genuinely like Trubisky. The beat guys and radio guys here all have talked about it many times. What that means I don’t know. But they aren’t just saying it to say it.

I think one factor that MIGHT come in to play on Trubisky is that the Giants just hired Buffalo Asst. GM Joe Shoen to be their new GM and they are also in the market for a new Head Coach. I literally just read an article stating that Shoen might want to bring Trubisky to New York to be the QB if they decide to give up on Daniel Jones which I think is very probable with a new coach. 

• Like 1

Signing Rodgers would be an epic disaster. I can just sense it wouldn’t end well. He’s also  progressively becoming more mentally imbalanced as time passes...just a hunch.

Watson, I would trade every draft pick I had for the next 2 or 3 years and give him a 10 year contract if he was clean....if.....who knows...

Wilson would be great. I’d worry about injuries kicking in this late in his career.

Carr is a very solid, and safe option. Overpriced but nailed on playoff capable QB for 5 years.

Probably Jimmy G next. Then Trubisky. It starts to dilute quickly. You’d have to go after Fields if available.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VaK9Trainer said:

I think one factor that MIGHT come in to play on Trubisky is that the Giants just hired Buffalo Asst. GM Joe Shoen to be their new GM and they are also in the market for a new Head Coach. I literally just read an article stating that Shoen might want to bring Trubisky to New York to be the QB if they decide to give up on Daniel Jones which I think is very probable with a new coach. 

I see them taking year one of the new coach and evaluating the roster in a tank year with DJ. They are in a not good cap spot. Not terrible but some bad contracts they cant move for a year. They would be best to see if DJ is worthy anything. Likely they suck because the roster isnt good and nor is DJ leading to a good draft pick. They can do a ton of damage with their 2 picks. They are in a spot where they can sell to the highest bidder for the top QB netting themselves a 2023 first from some one like Minny or NO. 

God damn Giants and having their future set up to play out beautifully. Ugh... 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

The Bills genuinely like Trubisky. The beat guys and radio guys here all have talked about it many times. What that means I don’t know. But they aren’t just saying it to say it.

He seems like a likable dude.  Good soldier.   I bet they like him and that spills into him as a player.

To each their own, but for me it doesn't change my mind versus for what I saw.   And I dived deep enough to form an opinion where narratives only move me to some extent.  

And let me be clear as to what I think of him.    Lets say this is the menu

A.  Reclamation project -- he's our franchise QB.

B.  Tier B QB.  Carr, Ryan, etc.

C.  Tier B minus Jimmy G.  

D.  Tier C . Daniel Jones

E.  Tier D.  Case Keenum

F.   Bust

I am hardcore Trubisky is tier C. Low end starter but definitley a starter.    I saw Darnold and Rosen as somewhere teetering between E and F.  I think Trubisky is a peg higher.  Many think he's a joke.  That's not me.  I don't hate him as a player like I did for Darnold and Rosen.

But sorry if the idea is for me to buy in the Trubsiky has a good shot at being a 2nd tier type QB then call me a hater because I think it would be very unlikely.  He has too many variables IMO to overcome that he struggle with that IMO are fundamental issues.  The only way maybe I can be talked into is if a coordinator believed in a system with him that relied heavily on his running.  I know his 40 time is good but not great but in the open field he runs very well IMO, he's elusive and has the body to take a hit and keep getting up.

When I watched him, I had a hard time falling for him as a passer.  But as a runner, i knew he had some wheels but studying him more closely his wheels impressed me more than I thought they would.

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Signing Rodgers would be an epic disaster. I can just sense it wouldn’t end well. He’s also  progressively becoming more mentally imbalanced as time passes...just a hunch.

Watson, I would trade every draft pick I had for the next 2 or 3 years and give him a 10 year contract if he was clean....if.....who knows...

Wilson would be great. I’d worry about injuries kicking in this late in his career.

Carr is a very solid, and safe option. Overpriced but nailed on playoff capable QB for 5 years.

Probably Jimmy G next. Then Trubisky. It starts to dilute quickly. You’d have to go after Fields if available.

Having Rodgers sign and not work out is what ever. Not ideal but it doesnt cost anything. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

He seems like a likable dude.  Good soldier.   I bet they like him and that spills into him as a player.

To each their own, but for me it doesn't change my mind versus for what I saw.   And I dived deep enough to form an opinion where narratives only move me to some extent.  

E.  Tier D.  Case Keenum

F.   Bust

I am hardcore Trubisky is tier C. Low end starter but definitley a starter.    I saw Darnold and Rosen as somewhere teetering between E and F.  I think Trubisky is a peg higher.  Many think he's a joke.  That's not me.  I don't hate him as a player like I did for Darnold and Rosen.

But sorry if the idea is for me to buy in the Trubsiky has a good shot at being a 2nd tier type QB then call me a hater because I think it would be very unlikely.  He has too many variables IMO to overcome that he struggle with that IMO are fundamental issues.  The only way maybe I can be talked into is if a coordinator believed in a system with him that relied heavily on his running.  I know his 40 time is good but not great but in the open field he runs very well IMO, he's elusive and has the body to take a hit and keep getting up.

When I watched him, I had a hard time falling for him as a passer.  But as a runner, i knew he had some wheels but studying him more closely his wheels impressed me more than I thought they would.

Trubs should be seen as a better Steward than Heinike. Some one buying the franchise time until the QB of the future can be inserted sometime midseason. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

E.  Tier D.  Case Keenum

F.   Bust

It's not a narrative, though. These are guys like Keim, who you put a lot of faith into... but for Buffalo. Guys that are plugged in.

But I DO think your take on him and placement of him is pretty on point. He's in that group C with potential to dip into B or even C or D. He isn't an A guy. He's not a F guy.

I think we're closer than our words indicate.

I don't even think Rosen or Darnold should be brought up in this conversation. They aren't even NFL QBs. I'd rather have Heinicke than either of them.