Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The most important position in the game. And the lack of investment in that position.

clskinsfan

I posted this in the gameday thread. And it actually shocked me when I went and looked at it. In the past decade this is the draft investment this franchise has made in the most important position on the field. Think about that for a minute. Qb's are the lifeblood of a football team. And this franchise has basically invested nothing in it. 

2012: RG3. Not big. Not strong. AMAZING arm. Ended in failure. Cousins. Decent. Not big or strong. And mediocre arm.

2013: No QB drafted.

2014: No QB drafted. 

2015: No QB drafted.

2016: Nate Sudfeld. 6th round. A JAG.

2017: No QB drafted.

2018: No QB drafted.

2019: Haskins. Not big or strong. Decent arm but a clown. 

2020: No QB drafted.

2021: NO QB drafted.

So we have drafted FOUR QB's in the past decade TOTAL. One was an incredibly talented headcase that refused to run his coaches system, One was an OK QB who was a money grubbing POS and left to another team to fleece them of 100 million dollars for nothing,  one is a backup who has done absolutely nothing and one is a head case who currently resides in Pittsburgh and is one season away from being unemployed. Where have we spent ANY draft capital at all on real QB's?

Edited by clskinsfan

Just now, Redd said:

Quarterbacks are hard not to draft a bust. Second you need a good franchise to develop a qb.  I don't think we have that.

4 In a decade though? I am at the point where you have to start taking a shot at finding the franchise guy. I laughed my ass off at Philly and Dallas for continuing to draft QB's. But they both hit. Wentz is now a beat up payer in Indy but was a beast. And Dak can play. We have to start investing draft capitol in the position. Period. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Rg3 is on the list. We have drafted TWO Qb's in 9 years since that draft. 

No I mean multiple 1st round draft picks for Rg3 that we couldn't use if he turned out to be a bust.  He was and we had to settle with what we had left in picks.

not talked about enough....we treat the position like we can bandaid it, but it requires a very complex surgical procedure however if you don't draft any quarterbacks to perform surgery on then how can any young ones develop at all....they can't. Dont worry we will probably trade for another bum in the near future to try and get us excited....but know better this time guys and gals. 

Edited by CjSuAvE22
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I feel like building a team without a franchise level QB, or at least someone who can play at that level for a few seasons is really just fool's gold.  Look at the teams of any modern era who are repeat contenders and that is usually the common position that is locked up.

Do you still need a good team around the QB? Of course, but notice that those top QB's can usually still will their teams to winning records and consistent playoff appearances, it just takes enough pieces around them to take the next step.

Contrast that our isolated playoff seasons in the last 20+ years and it is usually a team falling into the playoffs due to favorable circumstances with the division and after a quick wild card exit, they go right back to being a below .500 team the following season. 

• Like 2

I can't quite agree w/ this take. You can easily make the argument that we have invested in the wrong people, but not so much not investing in the position enough.

Even if your only focusing on draft picks, we traded 3 1s for griff so that means we "drafted" a QB in 2012, 2013 n 2014... we just spent the capital in 2012

And the draft is not the only way to invest in a QB. If your purely looking at capital invested, you also have to include what we gave up for QBs acquired via trade as well as the financials thrown at players.

-we threw 3 1s at RG3

-two tags on cousins

-traded for and gave Smith a massive deal

-I think Fitz got the 2nd biggest contract for a FA QB switching teams, just under Teddy.

-1st rounder on Haskins

Just looking at those 5 instances, that averages a pretty drastic QB investment every 2 yrs. I think its less on investment, and more on who these investment are going to.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

The team will get a top 5 pick this year and as fate would have it, the QB class sucks ass. It never fails :ols: 

I actually like this QB class a lot. No high end Mannings in the class. But a lot of Staffords. At least that s the way I look at it.

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

I can't quite agree w/ this take. You can easily make the argument that we have invested in the wrong people, but not so much not investing in the position enough.

Even if your only focusing on draft picks, we traded 3 1s for griff so that means we "drafted" a QB in 2012, 2013 n 2014... we just spent the capital in 2012

And the draft is not the only way to invest in a QB. If your purely looking at capital invested, you also have to include what we gave up for QBs acquired via trade as well as the financials thrown at players.

-we threw 3 1s at RG3

-two tags on cousins

-traded for and gave Smith a massive deal

-I think Fitz got the 2nd biggest contract for a FA QB switching teams, just under Teddy.

-1st rounder on Haskins

Just looking at those 5 instances, that averages a pretty drastic QB investment every 2 yrs. I think its less on investment, and more on who these investment are going to.

I am purely talking about DRAFTING a potential franchise QB. In a decade we have taken TWO chances on doing that. RG3 and Haskins. That is it. And it is completely unacceptable. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

4 In a decade though? I am at the point where you have to start taking a shot at finding the franchise guy. I laughed my ass off at Philly and Dallas for continuing to draft QB's. But they both hit. Wentz is now a beat up payer in Indy but was a beast. And Dak can play. We have to start investing draft capitol in the position. Period. 

Cowboys have drafted 4 QB in the last 13 years, none before the 4th round. They have only drafted one QB inside the first 3 rounds once since they drafted Troy Aikman in ‘89 (Quincy Carter in the 2nd). 

So no. Dallas doesn’t heavily invest in the QB position.

Edited by PartyPosse
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Cowboys have drafted 4 QB in the last 13 years, none before the 4th round. They have only drafted one QB inside the first 3 rounds once since they drafted Troy Aikman in ‘89 (Quincy Carter in the 2nd). 

So no. Dallas doesn’t heavily invest in the QB position.

They had Romo as their starter 2006 to 2015. The next year they drafted Prescott. So yeah. They got lucky. But they DID TAKE a chance in the draft. We dont do it. 

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

We've invest more draft capital in QB than Dline the last decade.

Hmm. What? We have 4 first rounders on the DL right now in the past 6 years.....I am actually trying to figure out where you pulled this from. Because this is completely wrong. 

44 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I feel like building a team without a franchise level QB, or at least someone who can play at that level for a few seasons is really just fool's gold.  Look at the teams of any modern era who are repeat contenders and that is usually the common position that is locked up.

Do you still need a good team around the QB? Of course, but notice that those top QB's can usually still will their teams to winning records and consistent playoff appearances, it just takes enough pieces around them to take the next step.

Contrast that our isolated playoff seasons in the last 20+ years and it is usually a team falling into the playoffs due to favorable circumstances with the division and after a quick wild card exit, they go right back to being a below .500 team the following season. 

Dude our isolated playoff seasons are basically our championships. We are never going to be better than that. At least not in the foreseeable future. We are a notch above the very worse teams and sometimes luck ourselves into the playoffs. That’s as good as it’s gonna get. Let go of any fantasy of a franchise qb willing us to win. It’s not happening. Not here. 

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Hmm. What? We have 4 first rounders on the DL right now in the past 6 years.....I am actually trying to figure out where you pulled this from. Because this is completely wrong. 

3 first rounders for Rg3. 1 for Haskins. A 2nd rounder plus Fuller for Alex Smith. 

6 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Dude our isolated playoff seasons are basically our championships. We are never going to be better than that. At least not in the foreseeable future. We are a notch above the very worse teams and sometimes luck ourselves into the playoffs. That’s as good as it’s gonna get. Let go of any fantasy of a franchise qb willing us to win. It’s not happening. Not here. 

3 first rounders for Rg3. 1 for Haskins. A 2nd rounder plus Fuller for Alex Smith. 

So less investment in QB than DL in a decade. Thanks for proving my point. 

12 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

They aren't understanding....we have drafted 4 quarterbacks (does not matter we gave up 3 first round picks for RGIII hes still just ONE QB) in the past decade and 2 of them were in 2012.....so essentially the past 9 years we drafted 2 qbs being sudfeld and Haskins.....and we drafted Haskins basically because he played at bullis with Snyders kid whom Dan prob watched ROFLSTOMP kids in high school and was like that's my guy.

Edited by CjSuAvE22
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

We have drafted 1 franchise QB in the nearly 90 years of team history. Sammy Baugh. That’s it. Bobby Beathard and Charley Casserly never drafted one. We are very unlikely to hit on one.

However, I don’t disagree with your premise. I argued for the same thing in the Haskins threads. You need to play the numbers game. Draft QB after QB and don’t get sucked into the sunk cost fallacy. If they don’t pan out immediately, move on fast.

With respect to d line, you normally carry 9 on a roster. Expecting the same draft capital on a position you carry 2 to 3 is typically not realistic just from a logistics standpoint of the roster.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

If you don’t have a franchise QB, you are going nowhere.  Investing in other positions before hand just keeps you at mediocrity.

You draft a QB.  After the first year, you feel you might have something very good.  After second year, there should be big improvements and with some more weapons, the guy is going to be a pro bowler.  Third year, he’s the franchise.  If at any point, you don’t see it.  Reboot.  

2 minutes ago, Myzhi- said:

You draft a QB.  After the first year, you feel you might have something very good.  After second year, there should be big improvements and with some more weapons, the guy is going to be a pro bowler.  Third year, he’s the franchise.  If at any point, you don’t see it.  Reboot.  

The problem is we have an owner that simply not willing to do this or at least hasn't been willing in the past he sees losing seasons as big loses in his wallet or something so we end up doing the dumbest CRAP to put out a team that can maybe not win a super bowl but can win some games to keep fans interested enough, I don't think Dan has any goal of actually building a team that can be good nor does he have the capabilities or the patience to do it hes basically a child running a professional sports franchise, it sucks to admit but that's what is going on for many years lots of have said that with him part of the team we will suck and its finally settled in for me that this is in fact the only truth to this situation. 

• Thumb down 1

3 minutes ago, Myzhi- said:

If you don’t have a franchise QB, you are going nowhere.  Investing in other positions before hand just keeps you at mediocrity.

Exactly brother. THIS is my point. Take shots and fail if necessary. I am sick of watching FA noodle arms be "the next savior". It is time to DRAFT a franchise QB. That is the only way to truly be a contender in this league. 

• Thumb down 1

Just now, Myzhi- said:

We haven’t drafted one since 1937. Your process can take many decades. In fact it pretty much has. What qb has lasted more than 2 to 3 years as starter? I don’t see how you are advocating for anything different than status quo with the exception of maybe this year.