Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I still can't believe Wagner is on this team. That's just insane to me.

Signing Wagner, Luvu and Chinn is going to be a ton of fun to watch. I really like Martin, too and think he'll be a massive upgrade to Butler. 

I'm interested to see how DeFo and Davis do in this offense.

I was a big Forrest fan in ‘22.  Some nice hits/tackles, but also some really nice grabs off deflections by St Juste.  That hustle play to get deep on his INT vs Philly (sorry bro) was impressive as well.  He looks like the odd man out now (ditto Davis), but I think these guys will have a role carved out for them - Forrest in 3 safety sets (though I’m guessing Hampton will get a look there as well), and Davis in base D and 2 linebacker sets on passing downs.  And of course they’ll provide quality depth in case of injury.

Edit:  I really like our top 3 guys at both positions and then the additions of Hampton/Magee as understudies.

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I was a big Forrest fan in ‘22.  Some nice hits/tackles, but also some really nice grabs off deflections by St Juste.  That hustle play to get deep on his INT vs Philly (sorry bro) was impressive as well.  He looks like the odd man out now (ditto Davis), but I think these guys will have a role carved out for them - Forrest in 3 safety sets (though I’m guessing Hampton will get a look there as well), and Davis in base D and 2 linebacker sets on passing downs.  And of course they’ll provide quality depth in case of injury.

Edit:  I really like our top 3 guys at both positions and then the additions of Hampton/Magee as understudies.

I'm not an Eagles fan bro. I only cheer for them after our season is done, around late september.  :ols: 

This year hopefully I don't have to do that any more.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Between the FA additions and the massive coaching upgrade, I expect our D to be top half of the league this year. I think that's reasonable. 

• Like 3

I think we can all feel pretty good about our DTs, LBs and Safeties - 3 deep at each spot, plus rooks with potential vying for the 4th spot at the latter two positions (Magee/Hampton).

Corner and DE are a bit sketchier.  At corner, the addition of Davis gives us a baseline of competency, and if St Juste/Forbes relegate Davis to a backup role, all the better.  The scheme and coaching could/should help, and the UDFAs are intriguing.  Sainristil is a nice add, and Martin/St Juste provide depth (though moving them would create a question mark at FS/outside corner).

DE is going to be fascinating.  Here’s hoping someone steps up among Henry, Jean-Baptiste and Jones, because Armstrong and Ferrell/Fowler feel more decent/solid than good.  Of course you have to assume we’ll be getting some pressure from other areas as well.

Overall, I’m pretty optimistic about the D.  Good combo of experience, youth, and athleticism, and it’s nice to have quality coaches across the board.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the clips of Jamin working out with the DLs.  He was running drills from a three point stance.

Jamin's change of direction agility and closing speed are elite, and he's got the size to play edge.  It's an interesting change for him.  On the one hand, he can offer unique talent for covering the flats and carrying TEs and receivers out of the backfield deep for an edge.  His blitzes were one of the better parts of his game, and playing edge will simplify his pre and post snap reads.  On the other hand, Jamin is not that good at playing with anticipation and timing snaps.  He's a very reactive player, and I can see him being the last one off the line of scrimmage a lot.  And even though he is strong and has good length, he's not that physical.  As a tackler he has never been a striker.  Just catches ball carriers and wrestles them down.  I wonder how he'll fare in a much more physical role of having to rush the passer full time from the edge.  To his credit, he's not soft at taking on blocks, and he is difficult to sustain blocks against.  The natural speed and strength are there.  He doesn't have Josh Allen's skill level as a rusher, but I think he's a very similar athlete with a similar style of play.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Saw the clips of Jamin working out with the DLs.  He was running drills from a three point stance.

Jamin's change of direction agility and closing speed are elite, and he's got the size to play edge.  It's an interesting change for him.  On the one hand, he can offer unique talent for covering the flats and carrying TEs and receivers out of the backfield deep for an edge.  His blitzes were one of the better parts of his game, and playing edge will simplify his pre and post snap reads.  On the other hand, Jamin is not that good at playing with anticipation and timing snaps.  He's a very reactive player, and I can see him being the last one off the line of scrimmage a lot.  And even though he is strong and has good length, he's not that physical.  As a tackler he has never been a striker.  Just catches ball carriers and wrestles them down.  I wonder how he'll fare in a much more physical role of having to rush the passer full time from the edge.  To his credit, he's not soft at taking on blocks, and he is difficult to sustain blocks against.  The natural speed and strength are there.  He doesn't have Josh Allen's skill level as a rusher, but I think he's a very similar athlete with a similar style of play.

I like the idea of speed/agility threatening the Edge. It pressures that side of the OL to want to move more than normal. But it needs to be married with other pass rushers attacking gaps that should now be wider. So blitzes, stunts, etc forcing the Guard to cover more ground and stress what's likely worse interior agility.

I think if done well great speed off one Edge can let us attack and exploit the Guard on that side.

I feel like Dallas has done this well for years so I'm excited.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just some minor points, catching up with Finlay's podcast.

A.  Chinn in person looks big for a safety -- looks like a force on the field

B. Luvu is all over the field, looks very impressive, big difference from the past at that spot.

C. Quan is playing with the #1's at safety

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Except for he cant cover worth a damn, his coverage grades are below average

6 hours ago, oraphus said:

Different coverage responsibilities as an Edge who drops vs an off-ball LB that needs to be more aware of seams and crossers through their zone and then also be aware of the RB leaking out.

He'll have less to worry about.

18 hours ago, oraphus said:

He can cover a flat or carry TEs and backs in man.  Those coverages are about speed and I've seen him make plays in those exact situations last season.  He's about as fast as it gets pursuing a throw way out to the edge of the flat.

Edges have way easier reads than stack linebackers.  Even total morons like Montez Sweat were fine at edge because of how easy it is to see the ball from their position.  It's the spot for big dumb freak athletes, and that's Jamin.

• Like 1