Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Prediction Thread - 2021 - The Team vs. The Giants

zCommander

Washington is favored by 3.5 on the sports book I use, NFL lines are usually pretty tight and usually pretty right….

That being said this team as the favorite and on prime time with a Relatively new QB against a division rival…..all points to disaster 

Giants: 18

Washington WTF: 10 

an ugly game that will make you want to switch it off by half time and the announcers will be hyping you up about the following weeks games by the third quarter. 

I know we got some Giant haters here for years,  I am definitely one.  If I recall @mistertim is another?  I recall some other Giant haters here.

This is the most smug team in the NFC east when it comes to our team.  Their media scoffs at this team.  Their players do, too.   I can't stand that team.

Cowboys-Eagle fans mostly hate us.  The Giants -- players, media, some fans look down on us and see themselves as superior no matter what happens with the Giants during that season.  I recall one season where the Giants had an off year, their beat guy asked them what was the low point and some players said losing to Washington because they always expect to beat them and losing to them is embarassing. 

the Giants really need to avoid going 0-2 this year. Sunday’s season-opening buzzkill loss to the Broncos was bad enough. But you can live with losing a non-conference game to a team with a quarterback trying to shove all the lost seasons of his career into however many good Sundays his knee will allow. Losing to the Broncos is denting but it is not damaging, and doesn’t have to be damning.

But backing that up with a loss Thursday night against Washington (a division foe), which will be starting its backup quarterback (Taylor Heinicke, a 28-year-old fourth-year journeyman out of noted football factory Old Dominion) and itself coming off a dispiriting 20-16 loss at home to the L.A. Chargers …

Well, look. The season wouldn’t be over. The NFC East may well be a place, again, where a team can start a year 1-7 (as the 2020 Giants did) and find itself screaming that it was robbed of a division title at 6-10 (as the 2020 Giants did, watching the Eagles lay down to the WFT in Week 17 last year). The Eagles looked good in Week 1. The Cowboys looked better. But it is a fickle sport and a fussy league. These things can change. Quick.

Still, it’s best not to rely on another edition of the NFC Least.

So the Giants need to find their legs sometime between now and 8:20 Thursday night at FedEx Field. The Giants swept the WFT last year, and both times they played they looked like the better team. Daniel Jones was terrific both times: 35-for-53, 437 yards, two touchdowns, one pick and zero fumbles lost (and rushed for 74 yards in the first game).

Knowing how much better they looked than the eventual division champs was one of the discomfiting things about 2020 when you looked at it from 30,000 feet. But it also ought to bring the Giants a modicum of comfort. And a straight reality that 1-1 really does look, and feel, in so many ways, so much better than 0-2.

“We’re looking at it as an opportunity,” defensive end Leonard Williams said. “Good teams look at the short turnaround as an opportunity to get the bad taste out of our mouths.”

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The Giants are absolute dog doo doo. If we lose this game someone needs to be cut or fired.

They looked awful against Denver I watched most of it.  They are tailor made for this team IMO -- bad O line, and poor pass rush on the edges.  Losing IMO would likely mean this is headed to be a real rough season.  They are arguably the easiest matchup on our schedule. 

Washington 27 Giants 17.

Yeah I know they've owned us in head to head matches.  But it stops now.  If we lose this game, I don't think a 5-12 type of season is out of the question.  But I think we win. 

Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 9.45.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 9.45.34 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know we got some Giant haters here for years,  I am definitely one.  If I recall @mistertim is another?  I recall some other Giant haters here.

This is the most smug team in the NFC east when it comes to our team.  Their media scoffs at this team.  Their players do, too.   I can't stand that team.

Cowboys-Eagle fans mostly hate us.  The Giants -- players, media, some fans look down on us and see themselves as superior no matter what happens with the Giants during that season.  I recall one season where the Giants had an off year, their beat guy asked them what was the low point and some players said losing to Washington because they always expect to beat them and losing to them is embarassing. 

the Giants really need to avoid going 0-2 this year. Sunday’s season-opening buzzkill loss to the Broncos was bad enough. But you can live with losing a non-conference game to a team with a quarterback trying to shove all the lost seasons of his career into however many good Sundays his knee will allow. Losing to the Broncos is denting but it is not damaging, and doesn’t have to be damning.

But backing that up with a loss Thursday night against Washington (a division foe), which will be starting its backup quarterback (Taylor Heinicke, a 28-year-old fourth-year journeyman out of noted football factory Old Dominion) and itself coming off a dispiriting 20-16 loss at home to the L.A. Chargers …

Well, look. The season wouldn’t be over. The NFC East may well be a place, again, where a team can start a year 1-7 (as the 2020 Giants did) and find itself screaming that it was robbed of a division title at 6-10 (as the 2020 Giants did, watching the Eagles lay down to the WFT in Week 17 last year). The Eagles looked good in Week 1. The Cowboys looked better. But it is a fickle sport and a fussy league. These things can change. Quick.

Still, it’s best not to rely on another edition of the NFC Least.

So the Giants need to find their legs sometime between now and 8:20 Thursday night at FedEx Field. The Giants swept the WFT last year, and both times they played they looked like the better team. Daniel Jones was terrific both times: 35-for-53, 437 yards, two touchdowns, one pick and zero fumbles lost (and rushed for 74 yards in the first game).

Knowing how much better they looked than the eventual division champs was one of the discomfiting things about 2020 when you looked at it from 30,000 feet. But it also ought to bring the Giants a modicum of comfort. And a straight reality that 1-1 really does look, and feel, in so many ways, so much better than 0-2.

“We’re looking at it as an opportunity,” defensive end Leonard Williams said. “Good teams look at the short turnaround as an opportunity to get the bad taste out of our mouths.”

Yeah I ****ing hate the Giants. Dallas is the age-old foe, but I've hated the Giants more for years now. You're right. They're the most smug assholes imaginable. 

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I ****ing hate the Giants. Dallas is the age-old foe, but I've hated the Giants more for years now. You're right. They're the most smug assholes imaginable. 

Best.

Actress.

Ever.

I look at it this way: don't discriminate.  Hate the NFC east rivals equally.  Giants for their smugness.  Dallas for their entitlement.  And Philadelphia because the entire fan base needs a bath and a breath mint.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I mean...Judge isn't necessarily wrong there. Our weakness is a short and intermediate pass game that picks on our LBs with a QB who gets rid of the ball quickly before our pass rushers can get there. That's how we lost our last 2 real games.

That being said...Daniel Jones is basically the opposite of that kind of QB, so not sure how that's going to work for them.

But.......he does always seem to play like a HoFer against us, so there's that.

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is hilarious

That's hilarious, but also a little surprising. Usually Rivera isn't the kind of guy to say that sort of stuff.

Maybe he just hates those assholes as much as we do.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, mistertim said:

That's hilarious, but also a little surprising. Usually Rivera isn't the kind of guy to say that sort of stuff.

Maybe he just hates those assholes as much as we do.

According to Finlay who was at practice or someone who is there who reported to him, i couldn't tell where he got the info, he said that the players are shouting in practice "expletive" them.  He says it comes off like they are talking about the Giants.  He implies they are practicing angry and that's a good sign.

If so that's a departure from Keim/Weinstein's observation that they didn't see much intensity in the practices they watched leading up to the Chargers game.

Rivera seems to keep stressing that this team can't beleive the hype and so what that they made the playoffs last year and it means nothing this year -- he stresses his #1 concern is the players maturity.  Just guessing here but it feels like maybe this team was feeling itself too much leading into that game and needed a quick wake up call. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I think the Chargers offensive line is a stone-cold wall they're going to give some people some problems this year,  I'm hoping our defensive line can feast off of the Giants offensive line.

If our "fearsome" front 4 can't get to Daniel Jones through what is widely considered the worst OL in the NFL, then they might as well just make Paper Tigers their group nickname.

The Chargers OL is ok but not special (PFF had them ranked 1 spot below us at 18 in their OL rankings going into this season) and they completely handled our DL for the most part. Some of it was scheme, but plenty of it was our DL just getting handled in their individual matchups.

I think we change things up this week on offense. Instead of a run-short pass-incomplete set of 3 and outs, we mix it up and go short pass-run-incomplete. We then completely throw the Giants defense out of whack.

Heini's: 3

Gnats: 2

Jones fumbles 6 times, but per tradition, we only recover 1.

Dan picks up Cam before COB Wednesday and takes him out for AYCE crab legs.  Cam gets installed as QB after 1/2 day of practice, and throws 4 INTs and WFT loses 24-10.

More seriously though, 

Us 10

Them 6

Both offenses are anemic, but we are just good enough to win.

Edited by Catatonic