Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

39 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I want to get on the hype train, but just seems solid. If he develops/proves to be a real threat in the receiving game, then I’m on board. Maybe develop him to replace Mckissic. 

Wish he had an extra gear. Not sure he can capture an edge or threaten the second level consistently. 

He doesn't have breakaway speed but not every RB has that, neither does McKissic.   I think he clearly looks on track to be a real threat in the receiving game.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I don't think that's gonna happen

3 QBs + 9 OL + 7 WR + 3 RB + 3 TEs = 25 O players

They can either have 7 Wrs or 4 Rbs or 4 TEs. Any more and your taking from the D.

Unless we find a guy already on the roster to return punts, you almost have to carry Carter/Dax/Jr

that leaves Terry Brown Samuel Hump as locks giving 5

if your only gonna carry six, you gotta choose between Cam and AGG, but w/ seven, you can carry both

Not sure if things have changed after last night.   But pre last night, judging by those who cover the team:

A.  Cam Sims is a borderline lock

B.  Patterson had a good shot to make them go with 4 RBs

C.  If they went 4 RBs it might mean 6 WRs instead of 7 or 9 O lineman instead of 10.

D.  For AGG to make it, they likely need to go 7 WRs

E.  the 6th WR likey is a punt returner with D. Carter being the front runner

But they also are saying the team is still figuring this out so its changeable. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Nerm said:

I think Dallas was already thin on the interior DL, and then had some guys get injured.  Are there any DTs that the WFT might have to let go that have a good chance to earn playing time on other teams? 

If Washington is really loaded on the DL, it would make sense to trade guys you are considering cutting, even if it only nets you a conditional 6th-7th round pick.

On the Interior : so I'd say a couple players worth looking at are Devaroe Lawrence and Daniel Wise.

They may or may not be worthwhile ; I just realized we're actually much more loaded at DE, than DT, now that I look closer.

There's one guy that's stood out in preseason named Rotimi, who I thought was a DT, which is why I originally made my statement about the whole DL. But he's actually a DE. He could fit in elsewhere, and there's no way we find room for him our roster, barring major injuries at that position

And to be honest, I don't think we could get anything in a trade for them. Even though they show promise, they don't really have a resume to boost their value

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's a lock.  He gets run with the ones.  But him being so high on our depth chart is an indictment of our depth chart IMO.  It's proof that we haven't yet moved on from our god awful WR room from the previous seasons.  But we've got two proven entities in Samuel and McLaurin now instead of just one, a nice vet in Humphries who is better than the bargain bin vets we were using before, and two more prospects with tantalizing upside in Brown and Gandy-Golden.  Plus Milne, who looks like the in house replacement for Humphries when the time comes.  It won't happen this year, but hopefully by next season those three get good enough to where we don't have to cling to any more hold overs from when our WR room was the worst in the league.

I think our WR group now is pretty deep.  Looks like its Terry, Samuel, Humphries.  Dyami is the main backup at X or subs there when Terry moves to the slot.  And Cam subs at Z.  That's how it looked to me in practice.  Cam got reps with the 1's in Richmond because Samuel was out.   They liked to move their WRs all over the place in the practices I watched so in the end, looks like they all will play at different spots at different times -- heck including even having Humphries play outside some. 

I am not a big Cam guy but if he's the #5 WR, that's fine with me.  He's above average IMO for a #5 WR but below average for a starter.  

As for them sticking with Cam, could be they are just higher on Cam than some of us here are.   We all agree on a lot of players in the draft thread but none of us agree on everything.  Seems like coaching staffs are the same way.  For example, you think Barber is better than some of us think so perhaps you see things closer to Ron on that or whomever on that staff.   But i doubt you agree with him on everything or vice versa.  Every now and then I read that even within a coaching staff there could be some divide on certain players.  

WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM

Quarterbacks
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick managed just one first down during his time, but he doesn't deserve the blame for that lack of production. The first drive sputtered because of two drops from Washington receivers, and he almost threw an interception on a play where a receiver stopped his route.
  • Taylor Heinicke had good numbers but was constantly on the move, and his grade will suffer due to a fumble. It was unfortunate that he didn't lead a TD drive just before the half. After a well-thrown pass, Cam Sims was forced out of bounds in the end zone, rendering his catch incomplete.
  • Kyle Allen played in the fourth quarter and was solid, completing two of four attempts for 23 yards.
...Offensive Line
  • Washington’s offensive line was struggling early in the game against Cincinnati’s pass-rush. It wasn’t all one-on-one losses, but Fitzpatrick and Heinicke were constantly forced to run and make plays outside of the pocket. The group surrendered 12 total pressures.
  • Samuel Cosmi continues to grade extremely well as a run blocker but much less so in pass protection.
Defensive Line
  • Washington's much-vaunted defensive front wasn’t winning its battles with an offensive line it should have dominated. The starters didn’t last a long time or make a big impact.
Linebackers
  • First-round rookie Jamin Davis had a better game this week than his debut. He looked much more decisive with his reads and made a pair of defensive stops.
Secondary
  • Don’t sleep on Benjamin St-Juste. He had back-to-back plays in the first quarter where he provided tight coverage against Tee Higgins on a fade before being all over Ja’Marr Chase on a third-down slant.
  • Landon Collins looked like his old self in this game. He spooked Chase into dropping a pass and delivered a big hit early in the game after a catch by a Bengals tight end.
  •  
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, terpfan said:

Keeping 26 offensive players wouldn’t be unheard of. They’ve done it recently, maybe even last year?

Obviously hard to tell based solely on preseason games and camp reports, but looking at each unit on D…

5 corners are on track to make the team - Fuller, WJIII, Moreland, St. Juste and McTyre.  Johnson and Apke both have a shot, mostly due to ST play.  I think Roberts is on the outside looking in.

4 DEs - Young, Sweat, and probably JSW and… WBK?, or maybe someone else (Rotimi, Toney, Wise)

4DTs - Allen, Payne, Ioannidis and Settle (controversial, but I don’t think he’s a lock, though he’s probably as close as you can get)

Don’t think we’ve seen anything to suggest they should keep 5 at either spot.

Linebacker - Frankly, I only see 3 locks - Holcomb, Davis and Bostic.  I know they like Norris for ST, and that’s Mayo’s specialty, but I think they just keep one of the two.  Hudson might have an inside track at a spot, but I’m not sure how much he’s shown this offseason (I do think he sticks though).  This could be a position they go one less than the norm - 5 instead of 6 - especially if we’re in nickel far more often than base.

Safety is a bit tricky.  Probably 3 locks - Collins, Curl and McCain.  Everett has a good chance, Reaves has a decent chance, and Forrest is probably on the outside looking in (though could land a 5th spot).  Another position they could potentially carry 1 less (4 instead of 5). 

So, between backup linebackers not really flashing, and the versatility of many of our dbs (Curl, McCain, Fuller - can play S or corner, and maybe Everett or Reaves - can probably play either S spot), I could well see us going 24 on D instead.  Any of the guys like Norris, Hudson, Apke, Johnson, Forrest and Reaves could go to the PS (along with DEs/DTs that don’t make the cut).  Maybe one or more get poached, but 1) I doubt it, and 2) I don’t see any of them as a big loss at the moment. 

Of course, with temporary PS call-ups, along with injury replacements, I’m not sure we need to go with 4 TES or 7 receivers.  In fact, I think we could PS Barber and keep 3 backs (though reports point to him making the 53).  Aside from Milne being attractive to the JETS maybe, I’m not too worried about teams poaching Hemmingway, RSJ, Barber, AGG, Carter, or Milne.

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He doesn't have breakaway speed but not every RB has that, neither does McKissic.   I think he clearly looks on track to be a real threat in the receiving game.  

Mckissic has legitimate route running to his game that makes him solid. I’m not a huge Mckissic guy though… feel his touches will be given to a more gifted guy next year (Samuel projects to take a fair amount of his touches). Did Mckissic play WR, that would be my guess without looking. 

If Patterson develops great route running, that would be legit. For example, what he’s shown in the pre season is good hands, but not route running ability (from my fan view of watching the games). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Wondering if that's an implication on a specific 2021 or 2020 pick ?

Off the top of my head, only AGG seems possible, though he has improved his stock lately

Yeah I'd be surprised if AGG doesn't make it.   Maybe Ismael gets cut?  Otherwise I think the 2020 crop is safe.  

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I'd be surprised if AGG doesn't make it.   Maybe Ismael gets cut?  Otherwise I think the 2020 crop is safe.  

Yea, Ismael was my next guess. But he was a lower round pick, in the 5th. And in 2020.

So that wouldn't really be a shocker so much, for a 5th rounder to get cut in his 2nd year.

Plus, they've already added a couple guys to the roster, that could easily replace him.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

5 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Mckissic has legitimate route running to his game that makes him solid. I’m not a huge Mckissic guy though… feel his touches will be given to a more gifted guy next year (Samuel projects to take a fair amount of his touches). Did Mckissic play WR, that would be my guess without looking. 

If Patterson develops great route running, that would be legit. For example, what he’s shown in the pre season is good hands, but not route running ability (from my fan view of watching the games). 

I didn't watch Patterson with route running in mind.  That skill typically takes time to develop.  Chris Thompson became a good route runner but from what I recall hearing it didn't happen overnight.  I noticed though Patterson got open even on plays where he didn't get the ball.  They actually lined him up multiple times as a receiver.

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yea, Ismael was my next guess. But he was a lower round pick, in the 5th. And in 2020.

So that wouldn't really be a shocker so much, for a 5th rounder to get cut in his 2nd year

Agree it wouldn't be a shocker.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Judging by your posts about the RB spot, correct me if I am wrong?

You are lower than most on:  Gibson, McKissic, Patterson

You are higher than most on:  Barber

Personally thought Fitz's accuracy was a bit off last night.  But I keep hearing he's been good in practice and Rivera said his accuracy has been better in practice than last night.  If so, I am not nervous.

Heinicke as i suspected is better in games than actual practice.  Love his mobility.  But i do have some deja vu vibes watching him to 2012 as for worrying about injuries. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Rivera says they’ll create a gameplan for next Saturday against the ravens and it’ll be like a regular season practice week leading up to the game. Should have a good barometer of where the team is (mainly the offense) after next weekend 

I think Rivera had stated as much previously and based on production so far I'm keen to see what comes of this. Lack of any touchdowns from the starting unit is a concern but if they manage to put up a couple against the Ravens (depending on playing time) I'll feel a bit more confident about them going forward.

We know they should be better than in  recent years, but yet to see any real indication of that outside of practice.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Judging by your posts about the RB spot, correct me if I am wrong?

You are lower than most on:  Gibson, McKissic, Patterson

You are higher than most on:  Barber

Dislike Barber. But, I get his value to this regime last year and this year (less value this year). The RB room needs first or second round talent added, IMO.

I love the power run element Gibson provides out of the gun formations. He’s elite in terms of power out of gun. He’s atrocious when running the ball when QB is under center (last year). Not a surprise the coaching staff continues to provide him pre season reps to develop in this area. Certainly feel he can improve. 

Mckissic is professional at his job and I value that greatly. I don’t think he’s electric or game breaking— I’m open to finding an electric player to take his spot. He was a lock for me last year when signed when many doubted his roster spot.  This year I predict Samuel to get some of his underneath work on 3rd downs. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Dislike Barber. But, I get his value to this regime last year and this year (less value this year). The RB room needs first or second round talent added, IMO.

We aren't then apart on Barber.  He's their best short yardage guy.  He's good in that context.  But it ends there for me.  What i dislike is he apparently is seen as the lead back of this team if Gibson goes down.  As a lead back type IMO Barber is a JAG at best.   If Gibson goes down late in the season like he did last year and we are pushing for a playoff spot and Barber is the lead back then IMO our running game is likely going to be pretty weak.   

• Like 4