Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

57 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

PFF has George Pickens ranked over Drake London in the video I posted above fwiw.

For all those obsessed with Olave's high floor, I'd rather take an equally high floor guy in Skyy Moore in the 2nd. More in-line with where you select a guy like that. 1st round picks should have WR1 upside. 

I like Pickens too but think London and Watson are way better mainly because Pickens got hurt last year. As I posted earlier I don’t think London or Olave is worth a pick at 11. I do think Hamilton based on his attributes is worth the #11 pick. Just imagine Kam and Kyle manning the secondary for years. The K&K boys!

Not that anyone cares, but after some reflection and being bored, here are my preferences in order if we stay @ 11:

1. Chris Olave - completely sold on him as a potential WR#1 and would love seeing Chris, Terry and Samuels absolutely terrorize DB's and give DC's a conniption. 

2. Kyle Hamilton

3. Drake London

4. Charles Cross

5. Jameson Williams

6. George Pickens

7. Garrett Wilson

8. Sauce

9. Stingley

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 1

When you watch the games he actually mixes it up as a blocker, too.

Is he a big time quick twitch guy? Nope.

A burner? Nope.

But he's sure handed, good size, finds himself open, blocks.

Am I advocating for him? Sure. But London, Wilson, Calvin Austin III, Skyy Moore among a few others are the guys I want to draft.

Burks and Olave I am... "eh" on. 

But if we get some scenario where we go something like:

Devin Lloyd, Kenneth Walker, Daxton Hill with our first three picks... Fryfogle can be a steady possession receiver for us.

3 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

I like Pickens too but think London and Watson are way better mainly because Pickens got hurt last year. As I posted earlier I don’t think London or Olave is worth a pick at 11. I do think Hamilton based on his attributes is worth the #11 pick. Just imagine Kam and Kyle manning the secondary for years. The K&K boys!

My only thing with Hamilton is that either him or Kam Curl would be playing buffalo. Same situation as last year with Landon. You're either putting one on the bench or playing them at buffalo which isnt a 3 down player. Is that worth 11?

Not saying I don't like Hamilton, just talking about team fit.

Now Daxton Hill however, is a great fit as a FS alongside Curl. He's a better Bobby McCain

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

My only thing with Hamilton is that either him or Kam Curl would be playing buffalo. Same situation as last year with Landon. You're either putting one on the bench or playing them at buffalo which isnt a 3 down player. Is that worth 11?

Now Daxton Hill however, is a great fit as a FS alongside Curl. He's a better Bobby McCain

That flex spot is pretty close to being a 3 down player on this team. We ran 3 true LBs on something like 20% of downs. So once every 5 downs played. 

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

When you watch the games he actually mixes it up as a blocker, too.

Is he a big time quick twitch guy? Nope.

A burner? Nope.

But he's sure handed, good size, finds himself open, blocks.

Am I advocating for him? Sure. But London, Wilson, Calvin Austin III, Skyy Moore among a few others are the guys I want to draft.

Burks and Olave I am... "eh" on. 

But if we get some scenario where we go something like:

Devin Lloyd, Kenneth Walker, Daxton Hill with our first three picks... Fryfogle can be a steady possession receiver for us.

I can get on board with this. Daxton Hill meshes perfectly on the defense as a McCain 2.0 playing free and slot alongside Curl. Devin Lloyd is very high floor (even though Id prefer Chenal). LOVE Kenneth Walker. PLUS a big body target for Wentz(that he tends to favor). Sign me all the way up.

This is the kind of draft we need, one that isn't possible without a trade back.

Edited by Forever A Redskin

7 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Why couldn’t you play Hamilton at FS and take MCClain out when you have 2 safeties.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

McCain 40: 4.51

Hamilton 40: 4.59

There is controversy about his speed. It's the whole reason he is falling in rankings along with position value. 

Drafting Hamilton to play FS wouldn't be playing him to his strengths. 

According to NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah, he was told that Notre Dame S Kyle Hamilton ran in the low 4.7’s in the 40-yard dash at his pro day last week.

This is contrary to the reports that Hamilton (6’4/219) ran a 4.56 in the 40-yard dash at the Notre Dame pro day. At the combine, Hamilton ran an official 4.59-second 40-yard dash, but the report from Jeremiah told a different story. Even though Hamilton plays faster than his reported times, running in the 4.7’s isn’t exactly a great addition to his resume. The Athletic’s Dane Brugler 5 chimed in saying that Hamilton ran 4.70 and 4.74 in his two attempts. Brugler also noted that his teammate Kyren Williams ran slower than his combine time. This will be something to monitor moving forward as his stock could take a hit.

Edited by Forever A Redskin

1 hour ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Kam played the buffalo nickel position prior to Landon getting hurt and he’s good in coverage for those bigger tight ends. Hamilton is a big boy and played all over the field at ND and could be well suited for the buffalo nickel position. His 40 time isn’t great but not many TEs are gonna run away from him.

IF we get a stud mlb, then that means Jamin or Holcomb is covering the extra TE on base downs. I would prefer to have Curl or Hamilton covering them instead of our current OLBs so yes I think Hamilton is worth the 11th pick. 

Edited by skinsfan93
  • Like 1

I am a big Jameson Williams guy but the injury changes it for me

I've been on Calvin Austin for awhile, been on Wandale for even longer.  Calvin i think is the better fit here than Wandale.  I love Wandale but he in some ways feels like a carbon copy of Curtis Samuel. 

1. Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama

Williams' stop-start suddenness and acceleration are breathtaking. That combination of traits is unparalleled in this draft class -- and it would be in most classes, for that matter. He just explodes off the line of scrimmage, and his top-end speed is elite. Williams did not run the 40-yard dash at the combine -- he is recovering from a torn ACL suffered during the College Football Playoff national title game -- but he would have likely been among the fastest burners in Indianapolis. He averaged 19.9 yards per reception last year.

It's not a surprise, then, that his vertical game is outstanding. He averaged 13.9 air yards per target last season, and he hauled in 13 passes thrown at least 20 yards downfield. Eight of those deep balls went for touchdowns. Williams tracks the vertical throw well and has rare closing burst to the ball in the air, and he easily gets separation thanks to that speed and a great feel for the tempo of routes.

But while Williams is known more for his vertical ability, his production after the catch is also noteworthy. His 751 yards after the catch were third in the nation last season. Williams can break tackles despite a lean frame and is a shifty runner with the ball in his hands. I love the way he immediately accelerates upfield after plucking on the run. Williams still has some work to do with refining his route running, but he quickly emerged in 2021 as the premier big-play threat in college football.

And how about the return game? Alabama coach Nick Saban called his number just 10 times on kickoff returns, but Williams delivered two of those to the house and averaged 35.2 yards per return.

Williams was arguably the top receiver in the class before his January injury, but he should still be a first-rounder at the end of the month. He's currently my No. 19 prospect and No. 4 receiver.

2335.png&h=110&w=110

2. Malik Willis, QB, Liberty

Willis -- my QB1 -- has the agility and speed of a high-end receiver but the lower-body build of an inside linebacker. His instincts are terrific, and he is at his best on the move -- both as a passer and a runner. And while he took 51 sacks last season, his short-area quickness allows him to escape pressure, run away from defenders and create outside the pocket. Opponents have to account for his running ability on every single dropback.

How about this: Willis forced 105 missed tackles in 2021. That was the most by any player in the country, and more than a dozen better than second place (Breece Hall, 92). He averaged 0.5 missed tackles per touch, meaning he forced one every other rush. It helped Willis pile up 878 rushing yards and 13 touchdowns last season.

We've talked a lot about Willis' arm strength and what he can do on off-platform throws, but I think he will enter the NFL as the league's third-most dangerous running quarterback behind Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen. Per ESPN researcher Paul Hembekides, Willis' 8.8 yards per rush over his college career (excluding sacks) was only slightly behind Kyler Murray's college average (9.1) and actually ahead of what Jackson did at Louisville (8.7).

8.png&h=110&w=110

3. Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas

Burks isn't an ankle-breaker. Nor is he a burner. After all, his 4.55-second run in the 40 at the combine tied for 22nd best out of the 32 receivers who participated. But Burks is silky smooth, strong and instinctive. His open-field vision stands out on tape, and he straight-up embarrasses a lot of defensive backs with his run strength and the way he stiff-arms his way to extra yardage. He reminds me a lot of A.J. Brown.

Most players on this list are lightning quick in and out of breaks and beat defenders off the line, but Burks dominates in space and gets separation because he knows how to use his big 6-foot-2, 225-pound frame. With that said, he did clock 22.6 mph when taking a screen pass 91 yards to the house against Georgia Southern last season. For context, that would have been the fastest recorded speed in the NFL this season. He has a long stride and can make plays downfield due to his ability to adjust to the ball in the air.

Burks really stood out after the catch. His 9.4 average yards after the catch were in the top 25 nationally, and his 618 total yards after the catch ranked ninth. He forced 16 missed tackles and picked up more than three yards after first contact per reception. Burks transitions upfield quickly for a bigger receiver and can drag defenders.

He is my fifth-best receiver in this year's class and ranks No. 26 overall on my current board.

235.png&h=110&w=110

4. Calvin Austin III, WR, Memphis

Austin is just 5-foot-8 and 170 pounds, but he is wildly explosive. Just look at the combine results:

• 4.32-second 40-yard dash, third among receivers

• 39-inch vertical jump, third among receivers

• 11-foot-3 broad jump, second among receivers

• 6.65-second three-cone drill, best among receivers

• 4.07-second 20-yard shuttle, best among receivers

He's a truly dynamic player who can take it to the house any time he touches the ball. Austin has the second gear to take the top off the coverage, and despite a smaller frame, he's a threat downfield thanks to that speed and his ability to track vertical shots. In 2021, he averaged 15.5 yards per catch, and 7.2 of that came after the catch.

At No. 80 on the board, Austin will make for an intriguing Day 2 selection. His foot speed allows him to slip coverage and then jet for extra yardage, whether it be out of the slot or from out wide. He was a sprinter for Memphis' track and field team, and the team that drafts him will want to manufacture ways to get him the ball. Austin had only eight career rushing plays, but he averaged 21.1 yards per carry and scored three touchdowns on the ground. He has the speed to make an impact on special teams, as well, averaging 11.1 yards per punt return (29 returns) and taking two for touchdowns.

248.png&h=110&w=110

5. Marcus Jones, CB, Houston

If you haven't seen this dude in the return game, do yourself a favor and go watch his special-teams highlights. Jones is a 5-foot-8, 174-pound nickelback who reads the quarterback well and excels in zone coverage. He even got 19 offensive touches at Houston. But he makes this list for his ability as a return man. Jones hasn't participated in pre-draft workouts as he works back from a shoulder injury, but his speed/quickness combination on tape is elite. I think he's one of the fastest players in the country.

In the return game, Jones averaged 28.8 yards per kickoff return over his Houston career, scoring on six returns and taking 18.1% of 72 returns for at least 30 yards. He also scored three times on 63 punt returns while averaging 13.9 yards. Fourteen of those returns picked up 20-plus yards. He led the country in total return TDs in 2021 (four) and was in the top five in total return yardage (884).

96.png&h=110&w=110

6. Wan'Dale Robinson, WR, Kentucky

Another 5-foot-8, sub-180-pound prospect, Robinson is a versatile slot receiver whose twitchiness and suddenness stand out on tape. He can reach top speed in a split-second after making a cut. It's wild to watch. And every time he touches the ball, the game seems to speed up.

Robinson has easy speed, clocking 4.44 in the 40 at the combine. He is always in control and hits second gear in a flash. And he's a true ankle-breaker in space. Robinson forced 26 missed tackles last season, tied for the sixth most among receivers.

He made an impact as both a receiver and ball carrier at Kentucky, and he averaged 111.2 yards from scrimmage per game. He plucks the ball on the run as a receiver and transitions upfield smoothly. His quickness, burst, balance and vision stand out after the catch. In the vertical game, Robinson doesn't have the size or length to dominate bigger, more physical cornerbacks, but he has the speed to run right past them.

I think Robinson could be a valuable No. 3 receiver in the NFL, and I currently have him ranked at No. 72 overall (WR11).

2633.png&h=110&w=110

7. Velus Jones Jr., WR, Tennessee

Jones' 4.31 in the 40-yard dash ranked fourth among all participants at the combine (second among receivers). He has a running back's build (6-foot, 204 pounds) and a sprinter's speed. That, as you'd imagine, can be a nightmare for defenders trying to tackle him in space.

A midrounder with upside, Jones is an instinctive runner in the open field with great contact balance and a unique ability to accelerate upfield. Jones tracks the deep ball well, but he is at his best on quick slants. There, his ability to break an initial tackle and take off makes him dangerous on offense. In 2021, Jones forced 21 missed tackles and averaged 8.4 yards after the catch.

Jones will also cause problems for opponents in the return game. His 900 total return yards across kickoff returns and punt returns ranked third in the nation last season. He averaged 24.4 yards per kickoff return and 15.1 per punt return during his college career.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

5. Marcus Jones, CB, Houston

If you haven't seen this dude in the return game, do yourself a favor and go watch his special-teams highlights. Jones is a 5-foot-8, 174-pound nickelback who reads the quarterback well and excels in zone coverage. He even got 19 offensive touches at Houston. But he makes this list for his ability as a return man. Jones hasn't participated in pre-draft workouts as he works back from a shoulder injury, but his speed/quickness combination on tape is elite. I think he's one of the fastest players in the country.

In the return game, Jones averaged 28.8 yards per kickoff return over his Houston career, scoring on six returns and taking 18.1% of 72 returns for at least 30 yards. He also scored three times on 63 punt returns while averaging 13.9 yards. Fourteen of those returns picked up 20-plus yards. He led the country in total return TDs in 2021 (four) and was in the top five in total return yardage (884).

Yes please.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Speaking of TEs and the 2020 college season one of my man crushes then was Jake Ferguson, I thought he was coming out then but never did.  Loved him as an old school type, killer blocker, and red zone threat.  I just needed one game now to rekindle some of that.  

Mostly plays in line.  Y-TE.  They also line him up in the slot.   He can break loose and catch balls in the seam.  So so combine -- but nothing awful   This dude reminds me a lot of ironically John Bates.  Nothing flashy but as a blocker he's fun, a rare pile mover, tone setter on that front.  If they want to run the ball and have two Y type TE's (Ravens style) to bull doze away, he'd be the guy IMO and can probably be had later in the draft.  But if they are looking for a more dynamic pass catcher, there are better options among the dudes I've watched.

Random thought?

Took him in our ES draft as well. We have very similar taste. :)  By the way Ferguson is from a football family. His grandfather is Barry Alvarez. He isnt a freak athlete. But he is the type of football player you want on your team. 

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

You never sprint to the podium. You take your full allotment of time, field offers for trades, then casually stroll up there before the time ends.

In other words you play it Kool?

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Kam played the buffalo nickel position prior to Landon getting hurt and he’s good in coverage for those bigger tight ends. Hamilton is a big boy and played all over the field at ND and could be well suited for the buffalo nickel position. His 40 time isn’t great but not many TEs are gonna run away from him.

IF we get a stud mlb, then that means Jamin or Holcomb is covering the extra TE on base downs. I would prefer to have Curl or Hamilton covering them instead of our current OLBs so yes I think Hamilton is worth the 11th pick. 

What alignment do you think we’d play on passing sets where we’d have three LBs on the field?

If we draft Devon Lloyd, Leo Chenal, etc., I can bet it won’t necessarily to just be the MIKE in the 20% usage rate 4-3. It’ll be to be that hybrid position in our true base 4-2.

Can keep Jamin and Cole inside. Curl can play the other hybrid. McCain center field.

Been watching tape today on Alec Pierce. He might be the most underrated WR in this draft IMO. For a big receiver (6'3 213) his release of the los is incredible. Hands are soft as jelly. Ran a 4.41 at the combine. I dont see a whole lot to not like about the guy. Check out his game against ND if you have a few minutes. Ridder didnt do him any favors. And Pierce bailed him out repeatedly.  But Pierce was pretty dominate in this game.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Been watching tape today on Alec Pierce. He might be the most underrated WR in this draft IMO. For a big receiver (6'3 213) his release of the los is incredible. Hands are soft as jelly. Ran a 4.41 at the combine. I dont see a whole lot to not like about the guy. Check out his game against ND if you have a few minutes. Ridder didnt do him any favors. And Pierce bailed him out repeatedly.  But Pierce was pretty dominate in this game.

Preach. I'm a big Alec Pierce guy. Dudes gonna be a steal.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Yeah with Pierce you are singing my song again especially as to Ridder not doing him any favors.    

Freakishly long legs -- killer combine.  IMO he can be a deep threat in the NFL sort of a poor man's Metcalf.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forever A Redskin said:

There is controversy about his speed. It's the whole reason he is falling in rankings along with position value. 

Drafting Hamilton to play FS wouldn't be playing him to his strengths. 

According to NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah, he was told that Notre Dame S Kyle Hamilton ran in the low 4.7’s in the 40-yard dash at his pro day last week.

This is contrary to the reports that Hamilton (6’4/219) ran a 4.56 in the 40-yard dash at the Notre Dame pro day. At the combine, Hamilton ran an official 4.59-second 40-yard dash, but the report from Jeremiah told a different story. Even though Hamilton plays faster than his reported times, running in the 4.7’s isn’t exactly a great addition to his resume. The Athletic’s Dane Brugler 5 chimed in saying that Hamilton ran 4.70 and 4.74 in his two attempts. Brugler also noted that his teammate Kyren Williams ran slower than his combine time. This will be something to monitor moving forward as his stock could take a hit.

Hamilton clocked in at 21mph on GPS and you can see his range in a lot of plays. I wouldn’t want him lined up in man coverage on a quick guy, but he has great instincts and despite his poor 40, does have very good top end speed. I’m not sure why is 4.7 is given more credence than his official combine time of 4.59. Hamilton isn’t, “slow”. But he’s also not Daxton hill quick.

FWIW, Ed Reed ran a 4.57 at the combine and Sean Taylor a 4.51 at his pro day. 

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2952797-notre-dame-safety-kyle-hamilton-is-unicorn-of-2022-nfl-draft-class.amp.html

Edited by Anselmheifer
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1