Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fa pick ups have killed us!

prophet

Every successful team has built through the draft first... then you add 1 or 2 Fa players to finish the puzzle. We do the exact oppisite.

The last 5 think of all the draft picks vs fa's we have pretty much wasted away. Yes sure we picked up a few solid players, but we have not built depth. Depth is everything in this league. If we have one injury we are pretty much doomed!

Our offense last year was about the same as we have this year. We pick up Coles (which is one of my fav players on this team - don't get me wrong) but was it the wisest of choices? we lose yet another 1st rd pick. Would we have been better off drafting a dt or de instead of getting coles?

I just don't see how we are ever going to win giving away 2 or 3 draft picks a year.

This is what Jimmy Johnson was the true master of in big D. He sucked in big D as a coach until 3 - 4 years in... all their draft picks started producing.

thoughts?

Originally posted by gridironmike

Once again, the '82 Super Bowl Champion Redskins were built with 26 free agents. Acquiring third and fourth year players the way we did is a much safer bet than most mid-to-low round draft picks.

we are not in the 80's anymore man

salary cap has put an end to the 80's type of fa

well I also think I remember that the recent SB winners NE Pats had a trove (trove I says) of FAs on that championship team...so it is possible. And you can just omit last years draft because we got our draft thru RFAs but I get your point.....haven't had that many late round gems here in a while...a few like rock...but not many like other teams

Originally posted by Henry

And didn't the Raiders get to the Superbowl the same way Snyder tried to in 2000, by loading up with older, proven FAs? Hell, Davis was getting PRAISED by the media for getting old guys last year at this time.

geez people is it that hard to figure out?

where are the raiders this year? What was the final score in the super bowl? what are those players doing now?

Originally posted by airSkins96

geez people is it that hard to figure out?

where are the raiders this year? What was the final score in the super bowl? what are those players doing now?

Who here wouldn't like to go 12-4, then 10-6, then 11-5 and a trip to the SB before having to bebuild? They took their shot and considering how close they came to winning it all it's hard to argue with their method.

watching airSkins96 sig video, it just goes to show you how much Im struggling with this season. Yes, that was a great throw to Coles but the first thing I noticed in it, is Trung wiffing on his block....

I need a prozac refill

The core of the Bucs wasn't built thru any draft. Their entire offense and head coach were bought and paid for. And by entire offense, i mean every single skill position player except Alstott.

They bought their coach. They bought their sack leader.

They bought a Super Bowl.

The Redskins buy their players, and then hand them over to clowns. Also, continuity must be developed,, even though the bucs bought all those players, they bought them all prior to the Super Bowl year. The last piece was Gruden, and by then, the players knew and respected each other. "Chemistry" was in place.

Get out a piece of paper and write down the number of offensive players the Redskins even had under contract following the 2001 season when Spurrier was hired.

Then take out a piece of paper and see how many of the stop-gap players we brought in were still on the roster this year.

2003 was the first year of building in earnest for the future. And the future lasts more than one season.

~Bang

well my problem is that instead of counting 2002 as Year 1, because of all the changes we are now to believe that Year 1 started in 2003 :)

at some point we have to stop counting months and years and indeed time and start focusing on getting some wins :D

remember Parcells' comments about Ekuban when he benched him a couple of weeks ago?

He said he didn't care about a guy's draft position or what he felt he was entitled to, it is PERFORMANCE that counts and in this case Parcells said he had had enough time to make his evaluations of the player in question :)

when players don't perform up to expectations here, the organization tends to let them slide and continue to start with the hope that they will work up to their contracts.

a lot of times it just doesn't happen.

you overpay for a guy in free agency or draft a guy high up in the draft order, sometimes you have to write it off as a mistake :)

and do so before you have suffered the guy's poor performances for games and years on end.

Even though the Redskins signed 26 free agents in 82, did they have to give up their draft picks to sign those guys? They probably still had their draft picks. Signing free agents now is different than in the past. You sign RFA or Franchised players and you give up your draft. In the past, you could sign free agents with experience and still keep their draft picks to get younger players as well.

a lot of those free agents were undrafted rookies and players that were younger cuts from other teams with less than 2 or 3 years of experience.

you can hardly compare those types of pickups in the pre-free agency period of the 1990's with the high profile, big contract moves this team has made under Snyder :)

I WISH the Skins were currently signing undrafted free agents like Joe Jacoby and other team's castaways like Jeff Bostic :laugh:

we have signed some 'value' free agents from other clubs such as Jessie Armstead and center Larry Moore but for the most part the starters we have acquired have cost us a mint and few have delivered on the expectations.

Originally posted by gridironmike

Our leading rusher (Canidate), receiver (Coles), punter (Barker), scorer (Hall), kick AND punt returner (Morton), sacker (Armstead), and tackler (Trotter) are all FA acquisitions. Only our leading passer (Ramsey) and interceptor (Smoot) were drafted.

FB, and #3 WR drafted, #4 WR FA, other WR & Special teamers Drafted. Starting tackles and LG drafted, RG and Center FA. Entire DL FA, LaVar drafted, other 2 LBs FA, Champ, Smoot, Iffy... all home grown stuff, Bowen FA

I think we have a good mix of both so far, and hopefully we will improve even more will a good mix of both drafted and FA next season.

Archived