Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

With labor deal expiring after 2020 season, will there be another work stoppage?

88Comrade2000

With labor deal expiring after 2020 season, will there be another work stoppage?

The current labor deal expires after the 2020 season.  Will the NFL have deal in place before that?  Are we looking at a work stoppage, either the players striking in 2020 or the NFL locking out the players in offseason pf 2021?

It will not shock me to see a players strike in late 2020; when the players have some leverage.  If there's no deal when the 2021 offseason starts, I fully expect the owners to lockout the players.

i'm sure the they will try to get a deal before the start of the 2020 season but if doesn't happen; watch out.  The players lost big time, last time.  I think they want to get back some things and change some things; especially with the NFL wanting to expand the regular season.

The players have said very clearly they are going for a "partnership", not just better conditions but they want an equal partnership. Players like Richard Sherman have said the owners provide the field and the players provide the rest.

My opinion is that we don't have football in 2021 and possibly into the following year but this negotiation will by far be the most aggressive by the players.  Player entitlement is at an all time high and the players union has been telling players for over a year to save money and get ready for a fight.

• 1 month later...

The NFLPA has been discussing the NFL's labor deal proposal, based  on 17 game season.

No resolution of NFLPA’s position on 17-game CBA

I  think it's stupid the NFLPA negotiated a potential dial with the NFL based on a 17 game season; without seeing if their membership would accept such a thing.  I think the players will reject the proposal and we are looking at a lockout in 2021.

For me personally, I am for a 17 game season over 19 weeks with 2 byes for one reason and one reason only.  The NFL insists oh having neutral site games outside the U.S.  I think it's unfair to take a game away from the local fans.  Most of those stadiums were built with taxpayer dollars.

The NFL players lost badly in 2011.  They need to play hardball; even it means a long period of no football.  My guess, they will cave at some point.  I can't see these players willing to give up a paycheck.

So, enjoy 2020. 

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

If.....IF a new CBA is agreed upon by March 18th...would the 2020 season go to 17 games right away? I saw something on twitter that said a 17 game season wouldn’t be in affect until the 2022 season (maybe it said 2021.....) 

No.

The earliest would be 2021 for a 17 game season but apparently playoff expansion to 14 teams could happen this season.

NFL to expand to 14 playoff teams under new proposed CBA, per report

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

No.

The earliest would be 2021 for a 17 game season but apparently playoff expansion to 14 teams could happen this season.

NFL to expand to 14 playoff teams under new proposed CBA, per report

That’s what i thought (About the 17 game season) from what i saw on Twitter. 

I knew about the playoff change being made immediately for the 2020 season, i was just clarifying on the other one 

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

That’s what i thought (About the 17 game season) from what i saw on Twitter. 

I knew about the playoff change being made immediately for the 2020 season, i was just clarifying on the other one 

I am actually surprised they are expanding the playoffs this year and not waiting until next year or whenever the TV deal expires.

The NFL will want more money from the networks for those 2 new playoff games.  Will they get that this year? 

8 hours ago, NickyJ said:

If it the NFLPA committee voted against it, how did it end up getting passed down to the players?

The answer is in this link:

NFLPA’s CBA approval process teeters on the brink of potential chaos 

I think they will just send it to the players anyway, even though the executive committee declined to recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...

Some owners are rooting for CBA vote to fail 

>>>

As the players vote on a new CBA — and as plenty of players urge others to vote no  — some owners are indeed hoping that the measure fails.

Jeremy Fowler of ESPN reports that “a number of NFL owners are hoping the current CBA proposal doesn’t pass next week because they believe they can negotiate a better deal next year, potentially with a push for an 18-game season in the future.”.............  <<<<

I think I can name 2 of those owners that wants the current voting on the CBA to fail.  Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder.

I'm surprise the owners didn't pull something like increase minimum pay to 1 Mil or even 1.5 Mil but then put a cap on % of cap any one player can get.

I'm sure that 90% of the players would approve of that. Only the QBs would riot but that is really what they need to do or the game is going to start to get even more ridiculous.

1 hour ago, hail2skins said:

I read a couple weeks back that one possibility would be teams of one conference would get 9 home games one season and then the other conference would get 9 home games the next season.

That's kind of silly.  Just make that 17th game a neutral site game.   They are allowing up to 10 international games up to 20025; then they can beyond that I guess.  There's money to be made playing at neutral sites in the U.S. also.  You can fix it so that the participating teams 2nd bye is either the week before or after that game.

Instead of opening a season with a bye; since they want all teams to have the their first bye at the same time, schedule that bye a little later in the season.

Say the NFL takes Week 4 or 5 off.  Or the Networks don't like that, then spread that first bye over 2 weeks.  Weeks 4 and 5. Half get it one week and Half get it the other week.  Then the 2nd bye is scheduled as normal later in the season.  Half the first bye before the season starts is kind of stupid.

Archived