Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

Anyone who stayed up for that Kings game saw Chucky put on an absolute goal tending clinic!! They had 39 shots on goal and I swear 30 of them were grade A. lol Us on the other hand buried 2 of our maybe 4 or 5 really good chances. We struggle badly creating offense, but will take the 2 points and run! 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, turtle said:

So much inconsistencies. Wish they would settle down and regain their championship ways.

Others can speak to this better, but it seems like the Caps can be successful short-term, but it'll likely be with a different style then you are used to. Yes, teams go through dry spells every season, but throughout much of the Ovechkin era the team was top 10, if not top 5, pretty much every year in terms of goal scoring. Last year they were second from the bottom of the league, and they are so far this year.

I was recently listening to a podcast with some dudes from the Athletic and they were talking about how the Caps were must-watch for hockey aficiandos for 15 years, but not so much anymore.

On 12/4/2023 at 11:04 PM, turtle said:

So much inconsistencies. Wish they would settle down and regain their championship ways.

Sadly the Caps aren't going to be close to a championship team for many years. In fact, we didn't know it at the time, but their championship window pretty much closed in OT of Game 7 in 2019, when they lost to an up-and-coming but still very green Carolina team. Since then, they've been able to ride off their talent to have some good regular seasons, but they quickly get exposed as old and slow in the playoffs, when teams button up defensively, and they can't rely on getting 10 power plays per game.

This season really stings. In the span of just a couple months, we've seen the end of Backstrom, and possibly Oshie. We've realized that Kuzy is likely going to be nothing more than a marginal player going forward, capable of a really good game or two, followed by a couple weeks of unmotivated crap. Carlson is no longer a top pairing d-man. And of course the toughest pill to swallow this year (I'd say more than Backstrom, because a lot of us saw last season that Nick was close to done) is seeing Ovi clearly lose a step. He's taught us many times to never count him out (at least as far as goal scoring goes), but we're 2+ months into the season, and I have never seen him so ineffective, even when he's been playing through injuries.

Just wish they'd start the rebuild already, because we all know it's coming at some point.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Sadly the Caps aren't going to be close to a championship team for many years. In fact, we didn't know it at the time, but their championship window pretty much closed in OT of Game 7 in 2019, when they lost to an up-and-coming but still very green Carolina team. Since then, they've been able to ride off their talent to have some good regular seasons, but they quickly get exposed as old and slow in the playoffs, when teams button up defensively, and they can't rely on getting 10 power plays per game.

This season really stings. In the span of just a couple months, we've seen the end of Backstrom, and possibly Oshie. We've realized that Kuzy is likely going to be nothing more than a marginal player going forward, capable of a really good game or two, followed by a couple weeks of unmotivated crap. Carlson is no longer a top pairing d-man. And of course the toughest pill to swallow this year (I'd say more than Backstrom, because a lot of us saw last season that Nick was close to done) is seeing Ovi clearly lose a step. He's taught us many times to never count him out (at least as far as goal scoring goes), but we're 2+ months into the season, and I have never seen him so ineffective, even when he's been playing through injuries.

Just wish they'd start the rebuild already, because we all know it's coming at some point.

Unfortunately they won't go rebuild until Ovechkin retires.

We do have some good youngsters that seem to be emerging, such as Strome 

If we had started the rebuild in 2019 its possible we could have gotten enough pieces to be contenders this year.

Yes on Ovechkin it is quite sad.  He did have a few down years of not breaking 40, not even counting the strike/COVID years.  But I think at this point he probably doesn't break 30 goals again.  Which is fine with me.  Our PP is trash and that was always where Ovechkin shined.  I think the decline and now retirement of Backstrom hurt him quite a bit.  We need a better "QB" on the PP.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Its a shame the 2004 lockout and Covid basically cost Ovie the all time goal record. I'm not sure he gets it now. He's fallen off hard. 

Still the D.C. sports God King though. 

Nah he may still get it depending on how long he wants to play.   Even at ~25 goal pace I think he only needs 2.5 seasons, which would make him 41.  Wayne retired at 38 its true but other players like Jagr have lasted until their mid 40s

2 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Nah he may still get it depending on how long he wants to play.   Even at ~25 goal pace I think he only needs 2.5 seasons, which would make him 41.  Wayne retired at 38 its true but other players like Jagr have lasted until their mid 40s

Yeah, I think he can definitely get there in a little over 2 seasons, but I also think he needs to adapt his game a little to account for his age, and slowing down. During 5 on 5, he needs to be a bit more of a front of goal poacher, to get more deflections and tap ins, imo. He can still rip em from the office on the PP, but with his size and strength, and hand-eye coordination, he should be able to notch a few more of those poacher goals from in front of the crease.