Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: First ever image of a black hole revealed

mistertim

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

Believe that later theory was before the Dark matter hypothosis. Dark matter supposedly provides the mass necessary for eventual retraction to the super massive black whole  (de ja vu?).

I think dark matter is what makes the big rip possible.

The hypothesis relies crucially on the type of dark energy in the universe. The type that could cause this hypothesis is a constantly increasing form of dark energy. If the dark energy in the universe increases without limit, it could overcome all forces that hold the universe together. The key value[why?] is the equation of state parameter w, the ratiobetween the dark energy pressure and its energy density. If w < −1, this dynamical vacuum energy is known as phantom energy, an extreme[how?] form of quintessence.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Rip

8 minutes ago, purbeast said:

It's hard to really grasp and comprehend just how massive the black hole is.

Yeah, it's something of a size so completely outside of our human experience that it's literally impossible for us to viscerally comprehend. We can think about it abstractly in relation to the size of other objects but that's about it. 

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I think dark matter is what makes the big rip possible.

That's dark energy, though dark energy and dark matter are kind of two sides of the same coin. Dark energy is repulsive (no offense, DE) and is what's theoretically driving the accelerating expansion of the universe and could lead to the big rip. Dark matter is attractive and is the unseen matter that accounts for a large percentage of the _inertial_ mass in the universe.

11 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

That young woman who developed the algorithm is an MIT grad and has worked many years to bring us this image.

She's 29. She's the Sean McVay of science. 

side note:Just learned yesterday that Sean McVay has this uncanny ability to recall every play(?) in every game he's been involved in. 

1 hour ago, Elessar78 said:

She's 29. She's the Sean McVay of science. 

side note:Just learned yesterday that Sean McVay has this uncanny ability to recall every play(?) in every game he's been involved in. 

I am reaching out to other scientists who know the young lady so that I can irrationally offer them huge contracts based on their association with her. 

Archived