Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Plight of the 2021 Baltimore Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

56 minutes ago, Hersh said:

The tanking. He doesn't actually want this team to win at this point and he won't deviate from his plan which is to stock up the lower levels of the minors. Given the team is having success, why would you keep playing CD and not have Mountcastle in this lineup? There isn't a good reason other than he doesn't care to win now. He will trade away Givens and Cobb if the deals are right rather than make a run at the post season. Next year will be the same. 

Multi-year tanking is one of the worst things to happen in modern day sports. 

Mountcastle will get called up soon, and I imagine take the majority of ABs away from CD.  They were keeping him down to manipulate service time.

If they are just tanking, why sign Jose Iglesias for $3 million ?

And there could very well be pressure from ownership to keep playing Davis.    But  I don't think he's got many more chances.   

In hindsight they actually saved alot of money by not cutting him this offseason.   And if he's on the roster you have to give him at least token playing time.   It was also the issue they didn't have a good replacement defensively (Nunez is a poor fielder), but CD seems to be trending in negative defensive value now, so now he's pretty much totally worthless as a major league baseball player.

Edited by DCSaints_fan

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

The tanking. He doesn't actually want this team to win at this point and he won't deviate from his plan which is to stock up the lower levels of the minors. Given the team is having success, why would you keep playing CD and not have Mountcastle in this lineup? There isn't a good reason other than he doesn't care to win now. He will trade away Givens and Cobb if the deals are right rather than make a run at the post season. Next year will be the same. 

Multi-year tanking is one of the worst things to happen in modern day sports. 

Well is stocking up the minors a bad thing?

1 hour ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Mountcastle will get called up soon, and I imagine take the majority of ABs away from CD.  They were keeping him down to manipulate service time.

If they are just tanking, why sign Jose Iglesias for $3 million ?

And there could very well be pressure from ownership to keep playing Davis.    But  I don't think he's got many more chances.   

In hindsight they actually saved alot of money by not cutting him this offseason.   And if he's on the roster you have to give him at least token playing time.   It was also the issue they didn't have a good replacement defensively (Nunez is a poor fielder), but CD seems to be trending in negative defensive value now, so now he's pretty much totally worthless as a major league baseball player.

Because of Covid, they will certainly keep CD at least through next season since games could still be effected. I don't know why they have to worry about giving him playing time. Which, if I may gripe some more, why has Keegan Akin gotten into a game yet? They called him up last weekend and won't pitch the guy. 

Service time issues for Mountcastle passed after game 6 or so. That got them the extra year. If he's not up by game 30, there is no point bringing him up. 

Iglesias was a good sign cause he was really inexpensive and is good defensively. They did have to have someone and if he performs on a contract that small, he becomes a trade chip. 

13 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well is stocking up the minors a bad thing?

I believe you can work to put a good product on the field and still play the long game. Is there a downside to adding a good SP or closer if one is available? It wouldn't wreck the plan. If this team is in playoff contention in two weeks, go for it. 

6 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I believe you can work to put a good product on the field and still play the long game. Is there a downside to adding a good SP or closer if one is available? It wouldn't wreck the plan. If this team is in playoff contention in two weeks, go for it. 

I don't disagree, but timing counts for a lot.  Adding a good SP or a closer doesn't move the needle much for a 55 win team.  It adds payroll, it doesn't move the needle towards contention.

Now if you could add a good SP to an 85 win team and view that guy as a player who can get you closer to the playoffs, sure.  

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't disagree, but timing counts for a lot.  Adding a good SP or a closer doesn't move the needle much for a 55 win team.  It adds payroll, it doesn't move the needle towards contention.

Now if you could add a good SP to an 85 win team and view that guy as a player who can get you closer to the playoffs, sure.  

I generally agree and right now they are playing so much better in a short season that they should add if something good comes along. Money isn't an issue with this payroll.