Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sun: Brazil accuses US missionary of putting isolated Amazon tribe in danger by potentially wiping them out with spread of disease

China

Brazil accuses US missionary of putting isolated Amazon tribe in danger by potentially wiping them out with spread of disease

BRAZIL’S government has accused an American missionary of exposing an isolated indigenous tribe to deadly diseases which could wipe them out.

Steve Campbell, from Maine in the US, was reportedly questioned by officials from FUNAI, the Brazilian government’s Indigenous Affairs Department amid reports that he could be tried for genocide.

It is reported that he is a missionary with the Greene Baptist Church in Maine which is known to carry out missionary work in the Brazilian state of Amazonas. 

Mr Campbell is reported in the Brazilian press to have entered the territory of the Hi Merima tribe, using a local guide, and visited camps.

A statement from FUNAI said: “It’s a case of rights violation and exposure to risk of death to isolated indigenous population.

“Even if direct contact has not occurred, the probability of transmission of diseases to the isolated is high.”

According to Survival International, “time and time again, contact has resulted in disaster for Brazil’s uncontacted tribes”.

It comes just two months after another missionary, John Allen Chau, was killed by members of the Sentinelese tribe after landing on their Indian Ocean island.

Stephen Corry, Survival International Director, said: “Fundamentalist Christian American missionaries must be stopped from this primitive urge to contact previously uncontacted tribes.

"It may lead to the martyrdom they seek, but it always ends up killing tribespeople.”

Click on the link for the full article

Do the children of these isolated tribes get to choose if they want to stay part of an isolated tribe?  Are they treated fairly and cared for in situations of abuse?  Are they educated?  Can we vaccinate them to reduce the risk of disease?  Have they been given that option?

They’ve human beings right?  Why do we talk about them like they’re not?

As for the missionary dude, i don’t even know where to start with that dumb ass.  If he wants to help indigenous people in Brazil there’s a lot of groups that could use the kind of financial support US congregations can scrape together.  Maybe start there instead of risking everyone’s life and creating an international incident?

Reporter:  So, Mr. Missionary, I understand you were the one that contacted the isolated tribe that just lost its last member to measles. How does that make you feel?

Missionary: Spectacular! They’re not suffering anymore because they’re in a better place. Most importantly, they all knew Jesus before they died. So, I’d say it was a big win for them.

14 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

And they were heralded and praised? Not sure I understand the connection. 

Should have been more clear.

For a pretty long time, logging interests and indigenous people in the Amazon have been at odds. There have been accusations and actual proof of loggers killing natives who make harvesting timber from this or that area difficult or impossible. On the flip side, some loggers have apparently been attacked by natives who are angry at losing land. This has been going on since at least the mid-1980s. Advocates for indigenous people have accused the government of not doing much to stop the killing because of the lumber industry is so important to the economy. It would seem logical that this would be a greater danger than possible exposure to disease.  

34 minutes ago, youngestson said:

Should have been more clear.

For a pretty long time, logging interests and indigenous people in the Amazon have been at odds. There have been accusations and actual proof of loggers killing natives who make harvesting timber from this or that area difficult or impossible. On the flip side, some loggers have apparently been attacked by natives who are angry at losing land. This has been going on since at least the mid-1980s. Advocates for indigenous people have accused the government of not doing much to stop the killing because of the lumber industry is so important to the economy. It would seem logical that this would be a greater danger than possible exposure to disease.  

Yes I understand what the logging industry has done. It's killed a lot of wildlife too. What does that have to do with this thread? One thing doesn't give the other a pass. 

My point is that in the scheme of things a possibility of disease from missionaries seems to pale in comparison to a greater and proven domestic threat. 

I'm neither giving the missionaries a pass or condemnation. It would seem that the government of Brazil is playing an easy card complaining about foreign influence harming native peoples. As if it absolves them somehow of failing to protect their people. 

21 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Killer Mike made an interesting point about these missionaries (Christian missionaries, in general) on Joe Rogan's podcast the other day.  About how the image of caucasian Jesus has been spread around.

Dammit, Killer Mike. Misinterpretation of Jesus as caucasian is one of my favorite punchlines.

8 hours ago, youngestson said:

My point is that in the scheme of things a possibility of disease from missionaries seems to pale in comparison to a greater and proven domestic threat. 

I'm neither giving the missionaries a pass or condemnation. It would seem that the government of Brazil is playing an easy card complaining about foreign influence harming native peoples. As if it absolves them somehow of failing to protect their people. 

The question of why he took it upon himself to infringe on these people's lives in the first place has yet to be answered. Has the world suddenly ran out of impoverished and starving people in need of actual help? Better people than myself whose faith compels them to go on such mission would by my answer to blanket statements made about Christians rather than a failure to condemn this dangerous lunatic. 

7 hours ago, justice98 said:

Killer Mike made an interesting point about these missionaries (Christian missionaries, in general) on Joe Rogan's podcast the other day.  About how the image of caucasian Jesus has been spread around.

Wow, if I didn’t know better, I might think Caucasian Jesus was actually cool with humans buying and selling other humans like livestock.🙄

On 1/25/2019 at 1:06 AM, NoCalMike said:

Seems to me that if Jesus is all powerful, he wouldn't require a missionary to introduce him to tribes in the rain forest, he'd do it his damned self. 

Perhaps reading what Jesus said may help you with clarity?

1 hour ago, Zguy28 said:

Perhaps reading what Jesus said may help you with clarity?

Your choice or anyone else’s choice of what to believe for that matter is utterly irrelevant to anyone but yourself. Nobody has to read anything and they’ll form their belief system how they see fit. This man had no right to decide what he believes is right for anyone but himself, just like no one has a right to tell you your faith is wrong. 

Archived