Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

3 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Ugh. Don't think we can rely on Ruiz being the catcher of the future. Seems like what he provides behind the plate has decreased every year since the trade here.

His constant giving up on pitches on the edge of the zone drives me crazy. Ball is in the zone on pitch track and he doesn't bother to even frame it...

Wasn't that one of the things he was working on in ST? Ugh...

15 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

Ugh. Don't think we can rely on Ruiz being the catcher of the future. Seems like what he provides behind the plate has decreased every year since the trade here.

His constant giving up on pitches on the edge of the zone drives me crazy. Ball is in the zone on pitch track and he doesn't bother to even frame it...

His arm strength looks no where near MLB level either

I really hope Rizzo and Davey acknowledge the sunk cost and move on.

In 2023, 96% of MLB catchers were faster in pop time than he was. That's awful, they made changes and...

In 2024, now 99% of MLB catchers are faster in pop time. This is who he is. He's slow at everything he does.

For reference, pop time is: "How quickly, in seconds, a catcher can get the ball out of his glove and to the base on a stolen base or pickoff attempt."

He's not an MLB level athlete.

• 99% of hitters have a faster bat speed than him. If he was on the qualified hitter list, he'd have the 4th slowest bat speed in all of baseball.
  • 99% of catchers have a faster pop time.
  • 97% of baserunners have a faster sprint speed than him.

Here's his 2024 statcast page. He swings so slowly that he's better at making contact with the ball. But that contact is terrible contact. So he doesn't strike out. Yay.

image.png.9f95978ceddfdb0888328d3005148b65.png

5 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I really hope Rizzo and Davey acknowledge the sunk cost and move on.

In 2023, 96% of MLB catchers were faster in pop time than he was. That's awful, they made changes and...

In 2024, now 99% of MLB catchers are faster in pop time. This is who he is. He's slow at everything he does.

For reference, pop time is: "How quickly, in seconds, a catcher can get the ball out of his glove and to the base on a stolen base or pickoff attempt."

He's not an MLB level athlete.

• 99% of hitters have a faster bat speed than him. If he was on the qualified hitter list, he'd have the 4th slowest bat speed in all of baseball.
  • 99% of catchers have a faster pop time.
  • 97% of baserunners have a faster sprint speed than him.

Here's his 2024 statcast page. He swings so slowly that he's better at making contact with the ball. But that contact is terrible contact. So he doesn't strike out. Yay.

image.png.9f95978ceddfdb0888328d3005148b65.png

Is this chart career or just 2024?

28 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

No Abrams, Garcia, Winker, or Rosario in the lineup today.

Welp, was going to say I hope we can grab an unlikely win with Corbin on the mound to get back to .500, because it might be next season by the time we see that mark again (see below). But I guess Davey is conceding the game in favor of resting a few guys. 

Next three weeks:

@ Philly (best record in MLB)

Twins (7 games over .500)

Seattle (1st place AL West)

@ Atlanta (T-3rd best record in MLB) 

@ Cleveland (1st place AL Central, 6th best record in MLB) 

NYY (T-3rd best record in MLB) 
Atlanta again 

Both Braves series are 4 games. Absolutely brutal 23 game stretch. 

38 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

I get what they are doing with who is playing. But man...... 

Abrams looked kind of lost in G1 yesterday. Well, maybe not lost but be didn't look comfortable at the plate. 

17 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Abrams looked kind of lost in G1 yesterday. Well, maybe not lost but be didn't look comfortable at the plate. 

That hasn't stopped Davey from playing someone through that. Maybe too long. 

This is the type of topic they need to do a better job of asking Davey about after the game. Knowing this Stat, why did you go to him today and when the result was negative again, what will you do differently next time? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

While the big club is scuffling, I see that Crews has been putting it together in May. Two doubles today gives him 1.036 OPS for the month. Seven of his 10 hits have gone for extra bases.

And Wood has continued taking. Think he has a pretty length hit streak going. Can't wait for those 2 to join CJ so we can get a look at our actual young core.

Bowden: 6 MLB prospects who are major-league-ready and just waiting for the call

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5499049/2024/05/17/mlb-prospects-ready-for-promotions/

1. James Wood, OF, Nationals

Bats: L Throws: R
Height: 6-7 Weight: 234

Stats (Triple A): .356/.460/.582 slash line
2B: 12  HR: 7 RBI: 25 SB: 9 CS: 1

Wood is absolutely raking at Triple A. There is no legitimate baseball reason not to promote him since he’s significantly better than Nationals right fielder Victor Robles and left fielder Eddie Rosario. However, that’s where it gets tricky. The Nationals are hoping to get outfielders Lane Thomas and Joey Gallo off the injured list at some point, which would give them four veteran corner outfielders they’d like to use as trade bait leading up to the trade deadline. If they promote Wood, it will take playing time away from those outfielders and lessen Washington’s chances of moving them. However, in my view, the Nationals should think long term and make sure Wood plays alongside their rookie center fielder, Jacob Young. Both are long-term solutions for Washington, and I don’t think any of those veterans outside of Thomas will have much trade value anyway.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

no need to rush him 

He has a 1.000+ OPS, at this point we can't say he's being rushed. This isn't a Jackson Holliday thing where he gets moved up after his first 10 or so days of the season. Wood has played 38 games in AAA this season.

As the last line of that blurb says, do we really expect to get any trade value from Gallo, Rosario, or Robles? They're all DFA candidates instead of trade bait.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Yep. He's ready and would only benefit being an every day player in Washington. We need him to be comfortable in his roll by the end of this season so going into next year it's all locked down. 

Also, free up a spot in AAA for a Harrisburg OF to move up and get every day ABs. 

20 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

He has a 1.000+ OPS, at this point we can't say he's being rushed. This isn't a Jackson Holliday thing where he gets moved up after his first 10 or so days of the season. Wood has played 38 games in AAA this season.

As the last line of that blurb says, do we really expect to get any trade value from Gallo, Rosario, or Robles? They're all DFA candidates instead of trade bait.

rosario had a few good games lately but gallo and robles have largely been forgettable

14 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

I literally called it when this dude I've never ****ing heard of stepped in.

"Don't be that nobody that kills us..."

Perhaps you’ve heard of his dad.

Don’t understand how Young doesn’t get himself to third before two outs in the 10th.

Don’t understand why you pitch to Harper in that situation.

This team is freefalling now guaranteed to lose 2 out of their 3 to the white sox, red sox and phillies

hope they get back on track soon because they were at .500 and streaking well before this poor road trip