Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

5 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

so....is there a Harper or Strasburg-like phenom in the next draft?

Yes. Dylan Crews and Paul Skenes. Look them up on YouTube. We will probably end up with Skenes. 100 mph heater, slider, and a really good-looking change up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kyle Finnegan is an average reliever on a bad team, so he looks better than he is. He is in my "Pitches well enough that someone does something dumb" category--headlined by Patrick Corbin. I'm hoping Ferrer or Brzykcy stay healthy and perform enough to take that role.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Yes. Dylan Crews and Paul Skenes. Look them up on YouTube. We will probably end up with Skenes. 100 mph heater, slider, and a really good-looking change up.

Interesting… everything I’ve read had Crews and Chase Dollander as 1-2. I haven’t kept up much during the current season though. 

editing to add: damn, Skenes is having one hell of a season. Preseason scouts had described Dollander as the “best college pitcher in 10 years.” Which incidentally may mean best since Strasburg. But Skenes has better stuff, which is wild. 

Edited by TheGoodBits
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

Interesting… everything I’ve read had Crews and Chase Dollander as 1-2. I haven’t kept up much during the current season though. 

editing to add: damn, Skenes is having one hell of a season. Preseason scouts had described Dollander as the “best college pitcher in 10 years.” Which incidentally may mean best since Strasburg. But Skenes has better stuff, which is wild. 

It's basically options 1-a, 1-b, 1-c, and 1-d, in some order: Crews, Dollander, Skenes, and Wyatt Langford. Crews is considered the top pick by most, but there's no far and away consensus top pick like a Harper, Strasburg, or Rutchman. I have a feeling Rizzo will not be able to pass up on Skenes.

From BA's mock draft a couple of weeks ago:

2. Nationals — Wyatt Langford, OF, Florida (4) 
Drafter: Scout

Scout’s Take: My understanding of the injury is that it's not going to have any long-term issues. Missing out on the at-bats is the biggest downside and especially missing SEC pitching early on. I’m glad we got a chance to see a few games of Langford in center before his injury but I don’t think we’ll exit the spring with a great sense of his center field defense, which is one of the biggest remaining questions with his profile, especially relative to Crews. The prospect of a righthanded-hitting left fielder this high in the draft is a little daunting, but Langford is likely one of the best college position players we’ve seen in the last few drafts. In reality if I was in the second spot I would envision calling both Langford and Paul Skenes to get a sense of financial expectations because the difference in their talent isn’t large.

Carlos’ Take: I’m glad you brought up the financial component here and shed some light on how those decisions are actually handled in a draft room. Even though we talk about how the money works in the draft each year I think it’s still worth reinforcing.

One thing I was considering this morning (relatively to the financial component) is how much more difficult it’s going to be for MLB teams to sign players early out of college (and especially out of high school) with the new NIL system. Some of these top tier college athletes are making 7 figures. Yeah if you’re a top drafting pick you’ll have an awesome signing bonus, but then you’ll be making minimal money for 6+ years on your rookie deal. NIL could end up shattering MLB’s draft and signing process. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Couldn't you still get your NIL deals with your MiLB team?

In practice they aren’t real sponsorships in the traditional sense. They are effectively a school’s athletic boosters funneling cash directly to players. It’s quickly evolved into a very explicit pay for play. 

I could see it getting much harder to sign players in the 10-30 range from college. Especially if they play for a P5 contending program and are likely further away from MLB. Teams don’t have unlimited funds to allocate to signing bonuses, and now they have to compete with boosters paying players to stay. Not an ideal situation for the current financial model of the draft and rookie deals. 

Edited by TheGoodBits
  • Thanks 1

It’s April 5 and my beloved Nationals have won ONE game since April 1st and have averaged 6.4 runs scored/game during that stretch.

I’m a diehard fan but feel they’re already irrelevant and essentially mathematically eliminated from meaningful baseball games. Very sad.

6 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

It’s April 5 and my beloved Nationals have won ONE game since April 1st and have averaged 6.4 runs scored/game during that stretch.

I’m a diehard fan but feel they’re already irrelevant and essentially mathematically eliminated from meaningful baseball games. Very sad.

It's early.  But really, that is pretty much the expectation this season, right?  The notion was we get to see the youngsters develop with no visions of real competitiveness and with short lines at the beer stands and rest rooms. 

The bar is looooooow.  If I see improvement in the youngsters' play over the course of the season I'll take that as a positive.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

It's early.  But really, that is pretty much the expectation this season, right?  The notion was we get to see the youngsters develop with no visions of real competitiveness and with short lines at the beer stands and rest rooms. 

The bar is looooooow.  If I see improvement in the youngsters' play over the course of the season I'll take that as a positive.

This is exactly it. I said it last year, and it continues--I'd rather lose 95 games and have Abrams, Gore, Ruiz, Robles, Garcia progress and do well than lose 85 games on the backs of fluke seasons from Chad Kuhl, Trevor Williams, Corey Dickerson, etc.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Yep. Corbin still sucks.

Why hang him out to dry in the sixth though? He’d given up 3 runs in the first five innings.  He wasn’t going to pitch in the seventh.  Have a guy (Ramirez, Banda) get loose in the sixth.  If he runs into trouble, pull him. If he gets through the sixth, your other guy is ready to come in the seventh. He got two outs and then gave up a single. Three runs on 5.2 ip from Corbin is a win. Take it. After the double to score the fourth run, the hook should have come.

• Like 1

Davey has been slower than usual with the hook this year, for whatever reason. I doubt anyone is back next year--although I like Darnell Coles so far. But Davey is not the reason we're losing, neither is Twitter whipping boy Jim Hickey.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, @DCGoldPants said:

"Embrace the Suck" 

"A Capital Clown Show: The 2023 Nationals" 

"Riggo44 ♥s Hickey: A Baseball Love Story" 

If we're going to do it right, we should start calling ourselves the Natinals.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

Another great day Victor Robles. Never thought I'd see the day.

He's had good weeks before, but it was always followed with horrendous ones.

He's at .353 BA .476 OBP right now. 

Only 1 strikeout and 4 walks in 21 plate appearances. Again, it's early, but that is really encouraging. 

(The most walks in an entire season EVER for Victor was 35 in 2019, so can we hope this is new-found plate discipline.)