Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

17 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

we like  0 for 7 in our last risk/reward players

hopefully this goes different

I really don't like super-tall pitchers. I've read it's more difficult to repeat mechanics at that height.

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I really don't like super-tall pitchers. I've read it's more difficult to repeat mechanics at that height.

He’s got a real compact, shot put delivery though. Good view of it at :52 below...

Edited by Dan T.

From Law:

The Nationals had to be thrilled when Jackson Rutledge slid to their No. 17 pick after everyone thought he would go somewhere in the 9-to-11 range. (But it did ruin my streak of predicting their picks accurately.) I had one front-office source with another team say Rutledge had the best fastball/slider combo in the class. That was Washington's only pick on Day 1.

• Like 1

Did my reading on Rutledge. Liking the pick. The move to JuCo is a little concerning but I don't know how much he's grown or gotten stronger since then. Probably some of each. His size and arm look awesome on paper.

Looking forward to him signing and getting to the minors. 

Nats third rounder, Drew Mendoza:

In 2016, Mendoza was a quick-rising draft prospect with a big frame who showed a knack for hitting and future power projection. Scouts hit that evaluation on the head, and over three years with Florida State, Mendoza has filled out his frame and is now listed at 6-foot-5, 225 pounds. That strength has produced double-digits home runs in two of his three years in the ACC, including this spring, when he’s hit a career-high 13 home runs through 46 games. Mendoza has above-average raw power, but it’s strength over bat speed and scouts question how much he’ll be able to reach his power against professional pitching. He has a solid eye at the plate and doesn’t chase out of the zone often, but he swings and misses enough at pitches in the zone for scouts to question his overall hitting ability. His wood bat track record in the Cape Cod League, where he’s hit .199/.291/.278 with a 32 percent strikeout rate in 57 games, is also discouraging. Mendoza actually moves well for his size at third base, but he’s played below-average defense this spring. His throwing accuracy has been a bit scattered, leading some evaluators to think he would be a better fit for first base, where there would be even more pressure on his bat. There’s no denying Mendoza has produced each season with the Seminoles, and his power has ticked up since his freshman season. But with a strikeout rate that’s never been lower than 20 percent and questions about his approach against higher-level pitching, there is some risk projecting his bat moving forward, despite his obvious size and strength.

4th Rounder: Matt Cronin

Every year, the draft seems to have several successful college relievers who have the pure stuff to move from Division I to the major leagues in short order. But most often, those relievers don’t move nearly as quickly as everyone expects. 2015 draft prospects Riley Ferrell, Drew Smith and Brandon Koch were all college relievers who fit this bill, yet none of them have become established major league relievers. 2016 draftees Seth Elledge and Lincoln Henzman still have several steps to go as well. But even with those caveats, Cronin is the kind of power lefthander with a fast arm who could move faster than most if it all clicks. He has a reliever’s delivery with some head movement and recoil at the end that sees him finish into a relatively stiff front side. That helps explain why he’s always struggled with below-average control, and as of early May he was walking 5.3 batters per nine innings. Cronin has an extreme trunk tilt that helps him throw from a true over-the-top release point. It also helps him get 12-to-6 movement on his curveball, which rates as a 60 on the 20-to-80 scale. His curveball has been much better this year than last, which has led to him being more effective. His 93-96 mph fastball gets swings and misses up in the zone, and he was striking out 13.9 batter per nine innings late in the regular season. The Razorbacks have used Cronin relatively lightly, and he is usually asked to get only three to five outs at a time and rarely pitches on back-to-back days. He has the stuff to fill a setup role in pro ball, although he’ll have to continue to improve his control.

5th Rounder: Tyler Dyson

A first-team Preseason All-American, Dyson was set up to extend Florida’s streak of first-round pitching prospects to four years, following in the footsteps of A.J. Puk and Dane Dunning (2016), Alex Faedo (2017) and Brady Singer and Jackson Kowar (2018). However, Dyson has struggled with both his command and secondary offerings this spring, to the point where he lost his spot in the Gators’ starting rotation. Through his first 10 appearances, Dyson posted a 5.06 ERA with career-low strikeout rate (6.75 batters per nine innings) and a walk rate approaching five batters per nine innings. Dyson does have a plus fastball—in terms of its pure velocity in the low to mid-90s—but the pitch lacks life, and with below-average control the pitch has been more hittable than the radar gun would suggest. Previously, Dyson has shown a plus slider as well, but the pitch has been more average this spring. His changeup has also been below-average, which has allowed hitters to simply sit on his fastball. Dyson was most effective during his freshman season at Florida when he was used as a reliever. Currently working with a two-pitch mix and below-average command, scouts now believe that’s his most likely future role as well. Dyson does have a solid frame at 6-foot-3, 225 pounds, so if a team believes it can figure out how to improve his control via mechanical tweaks or simplifying his delivery—as well as improving his third-pitch changeup—then he may still have some upside as a future starter.

gotta give a nod to Stras for not letting the game completely blow up after the 1st inning disaster

4 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

I kinda want them to offer Rendon 13/335.  Love that dude.  

he obviously won't get the years being 29, but i'd definitely give him a higher AAV than Bryce

howie kendrick is an all-star

if you disagree, you may be a dumbass

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 3