Extremeskins

WP:Russell Open To Re-Signing With Redskins

TK

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A57683-2003Dec11.html

Russell Open To Re-Signing With Redskins

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, December 12, 2003; Page D01

Former Pro Bowl defensive tackle Darrell Russell said yesterday he is receptive to re-signing with the Washington Redskins for next season but he would have to receive assurances from team officials that he would have an opportunity to play regularly.

I57575-2003Dec11

Darrell Russell said he is receptive to re-signing with the Redskins next season but would want more playing time if he did.

Russell has received relatively little playing time since signing with the Redskins in late October, just after he was reinstated by the NFL from a drug suspension and released by the Oakland Raiders. He remains a reserve behind starting defensive tackles Bernard Holsey and Lional Dalton. Russell said he has no problem with that setup at this point and acknowledged that he is "about 20 pounds away'' from being the dominant player that he used to be.

But if he is going to return, he said, he will need to have a significant role in the team's plans for next season and beyond. Russell, 27, signed a contract with the Redskins that runs through the end of this season and he is eligible for unrestricted free agency in the offseason.

"As far as staying or going, a lot of it has to do with them, not so much me," Russell said. "I like the players here. I like the city, and to stay here wouldn't really be a hard choice to make. It's just more or less like: What are their plans next year as far as their defense and where do they see me within the scheme? They already have great d-tackles. If I'm going to stay here, I guess I'd have to be part of it a little more. It just pretty much has to do with where do they see me fitting in from here on out?"

The Redskins, like other NFL teams, were wary of Russell's history of off-field problems while contemplating whether to sign him. While on suspension by the league, reportedly for testing positive for ecstasy, Russell was charged with 25 felony counts for allegedly videotaping a woman being raped by his friends. Prosecutors dropped the charges in September 2002 because of a lack of evidence. Russell and the two men said the sex was consensual.

Vinny Cerrato, the club's vice president of football operations, said the team has experienced no difficulties with Russell. "He's been great," Cerrato said. "We've had no problems at all with him. Up to this point, he's been outstanding."

Earning playing time with the Redskins probably wouldn't be difficult for Russell -- one of the league's most dominant defensive linemen at times during his Raiders tenure -- if he gets back into playing shape and regains something resembling his prior form. The Redskins will be looking to rebuild their defensive line during the offseason.

Cerrato said he believes that Russell can return to Pro Bowl status next season if he is serious about his offseason preparations.

"That will be up to the type of offseason that he has -- the type of work ethic that he has and what he does in the offseason to prepare," Cerrato said, adding of Russell's recent play: "I think after the year and a half layoff, you've seen improvement each week. He's starting to feel more comfortable in his techniques and his fundamentals. But he's still got a ways to go because he hasn't had a training camp, hasn't had anything like that. He still needs to work on his conditioning and get his weight down. But you see flashes of what he's capable of doing."

Cerrato said he has not commenced talks with Russell's agent, Gary Wichard, about a contract extension.

"We have not done anything," Cerrato said. "We're just in the process of putting a plan together of what we want to do in the offseason. We're still kind of in the evaluation process. We still have three more games to evaluate the direction we're headed in the offseason."

Russell said when he signed with the Redskins that he would have to prove himself to his new teammates as a player and as a person. He said yesterday he thinks he has done well in that regard. He has not created locker-room problems despite his lack of playing time.

"I think I've fit in rather well," Russell said. "I think I've been able to get along with all the players and coaches. As far as the defense, it's still something that I'm working on. Bernard Holsey is doing a good job, a great job, and I'm backing him up. I'm in the position where I'm just trying to get into games where I can fit in. There could be some sort of rotation. But with his play, it's not really fair to him. So it's more like when he wants to rest or when he wants to rotate -- which is understandable because if I was in his shoes, I'd want the same thing. It's not a bad thing. That's just where we're at now."

i remember when people were complaining abotu what a problem this guy would be....but....he seems to have turned out pretty well, lock him up for a while with an incentive laden contract, and i'll be happy........

..... and let me get some of that X russ....

I suspect that we're trying NOT to use him too much so that his stats don't get all inflated.

As with Gardner last off season, I'd like to see us re-sign him to a fair contract for both him and the team. If he wants a big payday, I don't think we should risk that kind of $$ on a guy with his kind of baggage.

He has absolutley no leverage with us or any other team. He needs to have a solid year next year to command even a decent contract. We made the right decision last year by not re-signing Gardener and I don't think we'll be hasty or desperate for him either, and that's the way it should be. I would like us to just find one difference maker for the d-line next year. He's not it but he'll give us a nice rotation to work with.

I'd tell Russell I guarantee him if he's not a lethargic fat ass and he can beat out everyone else we have around for the starting position that he'll start. And if he doesn't he'll be on the bench. Who is Russell to demand playing time at all? Earn it. From what I've seen Dalton has outplayed him since he's been here. I'm eager to try to keep him as he is young enough to prove to be a partial solution for a need spot for us. But, I hate the attitude of he needs to be promised more playing time. He'll get what he earns. Take it, or sign elsewhere.

Originally posted by Yusuf06

I suspect that we're trying NOT to use him too much so that his stats don't get all inflated.

As with Gardner last off season, I'd like to see us re-sign him to a fair contract for both him and the team. If he wants a big payday, I don't think we should risk that kind of $$ on a guy with his kind of baggage.

Boy, and I thought i was cynical.

Even if they did play him regularly now, I don't think his stats would shoot up all that much... if he wants a big giant payday, he should get one.... hell of an incentive laden deal. Sure, you have the potential to return to great form,, and if you do, you WILL get your money from us.

If you don't, you'll still get paid, but a fair shake based on what you do.

Give him a nice bonus so he can buy a nice house, and bring him in.On a weak DL that needs rebuilding, he's a pro bowl player who fell in our laps. Use it. Take that butterfly that landed on his helmet in Texas as a good omen. He hasn't got an injury history, and even though his brush with the law was reprehensible, he sounds as if he's past it.

He's an excellent player when he isn't in trouble, and I see no reason why at 27 he can't still be an excellent player. .

This year, I think Holsey and Dalton have earned the chance to keep playing,.. if one or both are gone, they deserve to be able to have a resumé.

~Bang

Originally posted by Art

I'd tell Russell I guarantee him if he's not a lethargic fat ass and he can beat out everyone else we have around for the starting position that he'll start. And if he doesn't he'll be on the bench. Who is Russell to demand playing time at all? Earn it. From what I've seen Dalton has outplayed him since he's been here. I'm eager to try to keep him as he is young enough to prove to be a partial solution for a need spot for us. But, I hate the attitude of he needs to be promised more playing time. He'll get what he earns. Take it, or sign elsewhere.

Art,

I couldn't agree with your more on this one. You don't just annoint yourself the starter. You earn that position with your solid play. Holsey and Dalton have both outplayed Russell thus far, so Russell is in NO position to make demands like this. I think this is reason enough to tell him to take a hike at the end of the year.

Our Defense could be something special next year. I like the front four oif Regan Upsaw, Russell, Noble, And god willing Will Smith. With Lavar, Armstead, and Trotter, Smoot, Bowen, Ohlate, and Champ, Maybe or maybe not, we'll be one of the best D's in the league. I hope we can get a coordinator that plays "sik em" defense. Wow what a team next year.

If Russell can indeed get back to his form from his Raider days, then there is no way he won't be outplaying Hosley and/or Dalton.

I say sign him for another year. He has shown enough to keep him around. Next year is really going to tell the story since next year on opening day, he will have had a full training camp, full preseason and should be in tip top 100% football shape.

Originally posted in WP

Bernard Holsey is doing a good job, a great job, and I'm backing him up. I'm in the position where I'm just trying to get into games where I can fit in. There could be some sort of rotation. But with his play, it's not really fair to him.

Surely he jests. :laugh: Bernard Holsey has started just about every game this season and we have not been effective most of the time at stopping the run. Holsey along with the other DT position is the problem, not the solution.

If we cant find a better replacement for Holsey -- who was in the Arena League last year -- :laugh: and another DT doesn't come through, its more of the same in 2004 and we are in a world of hurt against the run again. :doh:

Archived