Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Panthers

KDawg

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

I will take Crowder and Beasley as pretty much a wash. Reed and Davis are MUCH better than anything they have at TE and Richardson is better than any other receiver they have.

Elliott IS their offense (and Dak when he gets outside the pocket or uses his legs on read option). I would scheme to take him away and almost dare them to beat us with other players.

If we can pass protect we will beat them. If.

I am calling Crowder likely out / limited at best. It's not like he has been a difference maker when healthy anyways.  Beasley and Richardson are largely a wash, but Austin may be a better comparison, especially in style and if Richardson is wonky. Doctson and Hearns are a wash. Boys are stingier vs the pass than we are, which should offset any paper advantage at WR.  Both teams are mid-lings vs TE's regardless of how much better we think our 2 are.

The 2 teams game plans should largely mirror each other -EDIT ha like @Mournblade said. Which means it all comes down to special teams #JohnMadden, overtime, or a dreaded tie.

Maybe this is the game we see Alex dance and rush for more yards than Dak. Beat them at their own game plan vs Jax.

20 hours ago, mojo said:

The play where the panthers jumped offside and Smith didn’t take advantage of the free play was really disappointing to me.  In Smith, I knew weren’t getting the most physically gifted QB but I thought above the shoulders he would be an upper echelon player.  Brady, Rodgers, those guys have a free play and they are immediately taking a shot for a big gain.  Instead, Smith is looking around for the refs and holding his arms up for a flag and chucks the ball out of bounds. I thought he had more savvy than that.

Smith stopped because Moses reached out and touched the defenders helmet prior to the snap. Should have been blown dead immediately. Thus the timing was off for everyone.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

I mean they ARE better. Like much better.

Not sure that is the difference in the game but it's a clear edge to us.

At their best, yes Davis and Reed win hands down.  Maybe last week was a sign of Jay giving up hope of our WRs winning games for him, and using his TEs more.

Dallas has faced Olsen, Engram, and yeah not much else in attaining an average defending vs TEs grade.  It seems like their D is heavily dependent on Sean Lee most weeks. Some teams are ripe to exploit TEs on. Only Engram worked them proper, while presume focusing on Barks and Becks. Some teams bleed TDs to TEs and last year, it was the giants.  This year its the Bucs.

Hopefully our TEs dominate and lead us to glorious victory. 

On 10/15/2018 at 12:45 PM, Springfield said:

I’m happy that we won, but this is a team that just baaaaarely beat the Giants a week ago, so....

Yes, that's what the final score said. But, if you watched the game the Panthers were dominating the Giants for 3 1/2 quarters. Trickeration and late 4th quarter prevent defense got them back into it. We beat the Panthers in a very similar fashion to how they beat the Giants.

On 10/15/2018 at 11:48 AM, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Looking right now at the point differential, we are only at +2.  Dallas and Philly are both at +20, Giants are -45.  We have a chance to win two division games the next two weeks (Dallas and Giants).  We get Dallas at home and then go on the road to play NY, which might be a trap game for us, especially if they lose to the Falcons next week.  That would put them at 1-6 and on a four game losing streak........one of those games where an actually good team would go in and beat the **** out of them, but it never works out that way for us.

Remember, we had a good +/- before the Saints curbstomping. And Dallas had a bad +/- before the Jacksonville curbstomping. It happened, it's an official stat, but both numbers are skewed by single outlier games.

Our D rebounded very well in this one. I was doubting the front 7, but they are proving to be strong against the run. It's been a long time since we were anything but terrible vs the run, so this is nice. The offense though is still worrying. Panthers have a good defense, so it's not a surprise that we didn't run up the score, but I was hoping that we would be clicking a bit better. I like Alex Smith, but he's clearly still not on the same page as the coach. Gruden has made it a bit more obvious in the recent post-game pressers that Alex is essentially missing guys. Tbh, I'm happy to hear this because it means that IF Alex can get in Gruden's brain, we can take a step forward. To teach an old dog new tricks is tricky, but it's possible. 

Dallas is a legitimate top tier D with the #2 rush D in the league. It's not exactly a genius call for me to believe that this won't be a game where we'll be able to lean on AP... and we all know how it's gone this season when this happens, not well. Still, the key to this game for us will be stopping Zeke. Stop Zeke and follow the TEs on that stupid play action bootleg that Witten always burned us on. Other than that, they have the worst WR corp in the league. Beasels is sneaky, but he can't dominate a game. We will have a good idea of how it'll go after the first few drives. So far this season, if I'm not mistaken, whoever was winning the first half of the first quarter went on to win the game. I'll be content as long as they don't come out with a 7-minute 7 point drive. If it's a long bomb lucky play where they score 7, so be it, but if they beat us with exactly the gameplan that we should be scheming to stop, then we'll be in for a long evening. When it comes to our offense, I simply don't know what to do. They have a very good D and if we play like we have the past couple of games then we won't be putting up many points on the board. 

On 10/15/2018 at 10:43 AM, Morrison J said:

Anyway hope all the doom and gloom merchants from last week have got a grip. We're more than alive this year in the weakest division in football.

We don't play one team with a winning record the rest of the way.

Cowboys, Eagles, Titans, Texans and Jaguars are .500

Giants, Bucs and falcons are all under .500

It's there for the taking. We just need to learn to put more than one good performance in a row together. 

Shame its all just a sideshow until the Chiefs & Rams play the superbowl!!

Archived