Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Seattle Times: Nearly Every Native American Woman in Seattle Surveyed was a Victim of Rape or Coerced into Sex

Bozo the kKklown

In the survey of 148 Native American and Alaska Native women, more than half the women — 53 percent — were homeless at the time they answered the questions.

By Vianna Davila 

Seattle Times staff reporter

When Abigail Echo-Hawk first started her job as director of the Urban Indian Health Institute, she felt compelled to open the bottom drawer of a file cabinet in the corner of her office.

The Seattle Times’ Project Homeless is funded by BECU, The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Campion Foundation, the Paul G. Allen Family Foundation, Raikes Foundation, Schultz Family Foundation, Seattle Foundation, Seattle Mariners, and Starbucks. The Seattle Times maintains editorial control over Project Homeless content.

Among a dozen files inside, she noticed one labeled “Sexual Violence.”

Echo-Hawk had stumbled upon a copy of questions from a 2010 survey, co-produced by the health institute and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), documenting experiences of sexual violence among Native-American women living in Seattle.

The survey findings alone are shocking: 94 percent of the 148 women interviewed, all of whom identified as American Indian or Alaska Native, reported they had been raped or were coerced into sex at least once in their lives.

And more than half the women — 53 percent — were homeless at the time they were surveyed.

But also surprising was the fact the survey results had been kept under wraps for six years by the time Echo-Hawk discovered them in her desk in 2016. Results from two other surveys on sexual violence, done in two other U.S. cities at the same time as the Seattle report, had long ago been released.

This week, almost two years later after working with the CDC to release and interpret the data, the health institute released the survey results and report, called “Our Bodies, Our Stories,” first in a community meeting Wednesday, and then to the public Thursday.

Read more here:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/homeless/survey-reveals-high-rates-of-sexual-assault-among-native-american-women-many-of-them-homeless/

Also:

http://www.kyuk.org/post/fifty-four-percent-alaskan-sexual-assault-victims-are-alaska-native-study-says

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/09/rape-culture-in-the-alaskan-wilderness/379976/

And of course this case last month:

https://jezebel.com/man-who-strangled-woman-unconscious-wont-serve-jail-tim-1829192899

(the woman was apparently Native American)

This is an older article, but from 1978-2015, it was not illegal for non-Indigenous men to rape indigenous women:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/bnpb73/native-american-women-are-rape-targets-because-of-a-legislative-loophole-511

This is all crazy and just shows where the world is at this moment and how terrible life continues to be for Indigenous people.

21 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

seriously? That's what you took from it?

not sure, because i'm working and reading at the same time, and the link to the cdc survey from the article isn't working for me, so i don't know what survey they are referring to. the only cdc survey i am familiar with is one that was criticized for its questions and methodology, so i don't know if this is that. 

Just now, grego said:

not sure, because i'm working and reading at the same time, and the link to the cdc survey from the article isn't working for me, so i don't know what survey they are referring to. the only cdc survey i am familiar with is one that was criticized for its questions and methodology, so i don't know if this is that. 

Why don't you read the article instead of looking for something minor to derail the conversation?

1 minute ago, grego said:

you think the survey they are talking about is minor?

No, I think what you want to focus on is minor.

Let's talk about the mistreatment of indigenous women and how it was actually legal to commit crimes against indigenous by non-native people for so long. Let us focus on that and how this can be fixed and bring attention to it. Not your attempts to derail.

'shut up and don't ask questions' attitude aside, any number above '0' in terms of victims of sexual assault is too high. obvious point is obvious. however, 1 in 5 is national emergency, hide your kids, hide your wife bad. i'd like to know of that's where we are. 

Murdered and missing Native American women challenge police and courts

MISSOULA, Mont. – Native American women across the country are being murdered and sexually assaulted on reservations and nearby towns at far higher rates than other American women. Their assailants are often white and other non-Native American men outside the jurisdiction of tribal law enforcement.

In some U.S. counties composed primarily of Native American lands, murder rates of Native American women are up to 10 times higher than the national average for all races, according to a study for the U.S. Department of Justice by sociologists at the University of Delaware and University of North Carolina, Wilmington.

Other possible victims have never been found. As of 2016, there were 5,712 cases of missing Native American women reported to the National Crime Information Center.

“The numbers are likely much higher because cases are often under-reported and data isn’t officially collected,” said the U.S. Sen. Heidi Heitkamp, a Democrat from North Dakota, who has introduced legislation to improve how law enforcement keeps track of missing and murdered indigenous women.

8 minutes ago, grego said:

'shut up and don't ask questions' attitude aside, any number above '0' in terms of victims of sexual assault is too high. obvious point is obvious. however, 1 in 5 is national emergency, hide your kids, hide your wife bad. i'd like to know of that's where we are. 

Relook at my graphic. Open your ears and eyes when women tell you their experiences, and realize that most assaults aren't reported. That may give you some insight.

I don’t think Gregos reaction is terribly unreasonable.  Whenever anyone cites a study I’m always interested in seeing the details involved, and that goes double when the people citing the study have an interest in it.  These things are often misrepresented in the press.  This isn’t to say their motivations or goals are bad, I think this group and this person is just looking to help.  I can appreciate that, but that 94% number is so high that I’m immediately curious as to how broad their definition for “coercion” is.  I’m guessing it’s not the standard definition of forcing someone to do someone via threats or violence.  

4 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Relook at my graphic. Open your ears and eyes when women tell you their experiences, and realize that most assaults aren't reported. That may give you some insight.

i don't disagree with a single word you are saying. but the cdc survey that appears to be the one in the article isn't without criticism. it's impossible to know the number when it comes to sexual assault, but i'd like to try to find out so something can be done about it. 

So I found the UIHI report and the definition for coercion is as follows:

http://www.uihi.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/UIHI_sexual-violence_r601_pagesFINAL.pdf

Coercion is any completed sex after a perpetrator told lies, made false promises, threatened to end the relationship, wore the victim down through repeated requests, or exerted their influence or authority.

That definition is fairly broad and very much subject to individual interpretation, but it's also the standard definition apparently (source: https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pdf/sv_surveillance_definitionsl-2009-a.pdf)  The choice to combine rape and coercion into one number however, doesn't seem standard.  Maybe its an intentional choice made hoping to raise some eyebrows?  It certainly had that effect on me, like I said before 94% is a big number.

It doesn't look like they've fabricated any numbers or made anything up.  How they chose to present the numbers is interesting but I've worked in the charity world and I know personally how it feels to know that people are in great need, and be surrounded by people just going through their daily lives.  It's reasonable to present things in a way that garners some attention.  I hope UIHI does get some additional support and that they can continue to make a positive impact on native women that need their help. 

I've read and watched more of these stories than I ever thought I would.

The victims are mostly in places we don't travel to, unless you visit the upper territories of Canada or Alaska on a regular basis. 

I'd give up some Middle Eastern news to learn more about what happens on our own continent. 

5 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Yes, because women always lie about sexual assault.

But no, see those two little men in the lower right corner? Those are the men lied about.

OK, I don't want to start a hullabaloo, but that graphic has been passed around a lot recently (not just on this site). Can someone explain to me how that graphic's numbers are deemed accurate?  How do they determine n men are "rapists"? Should it be accused rapists? How do they determine x% went to trial? y% were convicted? And how is someone labeled a rapist "falsely accused?"

These things bother me. Last night during intermission of the Caps game I flipped over to Alaskan State Troopers on Discovery.  A trooper claimed that by the time a driver is arrested for DUI, they have driven drunk 80 times. Like, how do we know that? Is that a MADD stat?

Statistics, to be useful, need to come from a known criteria, and be defensible. 

1 hour ago, Popeman38 said:

OK, I don't want to start a hullabaloo, but that graphic has been passed around a lot recently (not just on this site). Can someone explain to me how that graphic's numbers are deemed accurate?  How do they determine n men are "rapists"? Should it be accused rapists? How do they determine x% went to trial? y% were convicted? And how is someone labeled a rapist "falsely accused?"

These things bother me. Last night during intermission of the Caps game I flipped over to Alaskan State Troopers on Discovery.  A trooper claimed that by the time a driver is arrested for DUI, they have driven drunk 80 times. Like, how do we know that? Is that a MADD stat?

Statistics, to be useful, need to come from a known criteria, and be defensible. 

Watch Farenheit 9/11. There are only 2 officers policing the interstate in the entire state of Oregon. 

Know ****. It will help you. 

Archived