Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Seattle Times: Nearly Every Native American Woman in Seattle Surveyed was a Victim of Rape or Coerced into Sex

Bozo the kKklown

"Coercion is any completed sex after a perpetrator told lies, made false promises, threatened to end the relationship..."

I may piss people off here, but honestly I think equating this with rape is both wrong and counterproductive.  If we equate a woman consenting to sex with a boyfriend only because he's threatening to leave if he doesn't get laid, or a woman who has a one night stand only to find out the guy's a loser and not a roadie for Van Halen; with someone who was penetrated or groped while passed out, let alone someone who was forcibly violated, cheapens the horror of the worst victims.

You can't make levels of violation, you still feel violated. Although fortunate not to experience rape, I have been coerced by both males and females, so it's not limited by sex of the perp. I was violated, I still remember the experiences, and who coerced me. The outcome in all cases was either I immediately stopped dating the person or if living with someone moving as quickly as possible. 

Don't even think that coercion by a loved one isn't emotionally painful and a huge betrayal.

Sure, it can be emotional and painful...but it isn't rape.   

And even given that, it is huge spectrum onto itself.   there is manipulative/domineering coercion......  all the way down to:  "How about if i do the dishes even though it it is your turn...?"

14 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

"Coercion is any completed sex after a perpetrator told lies, made false promises, threatened to end the relationship..."

I may piss people off here, but honestly I think equating this with rape is both wrong and counterproductive.  If we equate a woman consenting to sex with a boyfriend only because he's threatening to leave if he doesn't get laid, or a woman who has a one night stand only to find out the guy's a loser and not a roadie for Van Halen; with someone who was penetrated or groped while passed out, let alone someone who was forcibly violated, cheapens the horror of the worst victims.

This is where I'm at on this...

Again, wrong is wrong, but there ARE degrees of that. I've had sex with women who weren't completely forthcoming about things we discussed ahead of time. Never would equate that to what I think of when I hear "rape or coercion" around sex. I also agree that it does dilute the dangerous stuff when we try to inflate numbers by adding other things to it. 

I'm sorry, but like you alluded to, a woman consenting to have sex because some guy might be a smooth talker isn't on the same planet as rape or a situation where a woman doesn't believe she has the choice. 

Not sure where to put this but .. SCOTUS upholds N Dakota voter id law which requires ID with a residential addy. Unfortunately, the US Postal Service does not operate on Native American reservation lands so many NA use PO Boxes. The voter id law doesnt allow an exception for PO Boxes.

This law came after Democrat Heitkamp won as Dem with a lot of support from the NA.

------------------

A Supreme Court decision this week to allow the implementation of a voter ID law in North Dakota has Democrats fearing some Native Americans would be prohibited from voting.

The law requires voters to provide a form of identification that includes their legal name, current street address and date of birth. The problem, for some Native Americans, is the street address requirement. Native Americans who live on reservations or in rural areas that lack street addresses often instead use P.O. boxes.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, in a dissent joined by Justice Elena Kagan, warned that the ruling could disenfranchise tens of thousands of voters in a state where the voting-age population is only about 600,000.
She pointed to a district court's finding that "70,000 North Dakota residents -- almost 20% of the turnout in a regular quadrennial election -- lack a qualifying ID" and that "approximately 18,000 North Dakota residents also lack supplemental documentation sufficient to permit them to vote without a qualifying ID."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/12/politics/north-dakota-voter-id-native-americans/index.html

------

This is the BS we can expect from the conservative packed Fed Cos going forward. 2020 the US census and re-districting will take place and if the Rs hold power, they will gerrymander like they did last time.

This is a Democrat majority country but we are the minority with stripped down check and balances. Im ****ing pissed.

Only thing thaqt comforts is knowing, no matter what, the population and swing is going Dem and eventually the Rs will be crying and screaming that things arent fair to them .. much like they are enjoying their time in the sun now.

Not following blue slips, garland things etc .. will come back to bite them.

Recall hearing a radio report a decade or two ago. 

Picture a scene. Guy meets girl in a bar. After spending some time together, the guy invites the girl to call him. He pulls a scrap of paper out of his pocket, writes a number on the back, hands it to her and leaves. 

The scrap of paper is an ATM receipt. That shows a checking balance of $314,159. (Hint:  It's pi.)

The report is that there is now a company selling fake ATM receipts, so that people can do that. 

Obviously, that's dishonest. But I think that lumping it in with "rape or coercion" makes your side look dishonest. 

3 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Not sure where to put this but .. SCOTUS upholds N Dakota voter id law which requires ID with a residential addy. Unfortunately, the US Postal Service does not operate on Native American reservation lands so many NA use PO Boxes. The voter id law doesnt allow an exception for PO Boxes.

This law came after Democrat Heitkamp won as Dem with a lot of support from the NA.

------------------

A Supreme Court decision this week to allow the implementation of a voter ID law in North Dakota has Democrats fearing some Native Americans would be prohibited from voting.

The law requires voters to provide a form of identification that includes their legal name, current street address and date of birth. The problem, for some Native Americans, is the street address requirement. Native Americans who live on reservations or in rural areas that lack street addresses often instead use P.O. boxes.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, in a dissent joined by Justice Elena Kagan, warned that the ruling could disenfranchise tens of thousands of voters in a state where the voting-age population is only about 600,000.
She pointed to a district court's finding that "70,000 North Dakota residents -- almost 20% of the turnout in a regular quadrennial election -- lack a qualifying ID" and that "approximately 18,000 North Dakota residents also lack supplemental documentation sufficient to permit them to vote without a qualifying ID."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/12/politics/north-dakota-voter-id-native-americans/index.html

------

This is the BS we can expect from the conservative packed Fed Cos going forward. 2020 the US census and re-districting will take place and if the Rs hold power, they will gerrymander like they did last time.

This is a Democrat majority country but we are the minority with stripped down check and balances. Im ****ing pissed.

Only thing thaqt comforts is knowing, no matter what, the population and swing is going Dem and eventually the Rs will be crying and screaming that things arent fair to them .. much like they are enjoying their time in the sun now.

Not following blue slips, garland things etc .. will come back to bite them.

that is infuriating... and deserves its own thread

Archived