Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Renegade7

Has FO given Jay a Playoff Roster for 2018???

Has FO given Jay a Playoff Roster for 2018???  

102 members have voted

  1. 1. Has FO given Jay a Playoff Roster for 2018???



Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Anyone want to change their vote? I wont, this is exactly I feared what happened in OP. 

 

I'm not declaring season over until I see how new peices on o-line fit.  Having said that, that's not what the thread is about, its about the roster that Jay was given.  On offense it was pathetic, there's no other way around it.  The Alex trade is failing and refusing to address the oline depth and injury pronness is killing us yet again. AGAIN.

I don't think anybody thought that Alex would be as bad as he's been.  While he might have a tendency to go quickly to the check-down, he was coming off of his best season as a pro, and I think the most common thought is he would basically regress to what he had always been, an efficient game manager.  That's not as good as Kirk, but nowhere near as bad as what he's put on the field.

 

So, the next question is WHY has he regressed to John Beck levels?  Personally, I think it's because Jay has no desire to ever change his offensive approach to make it fit the players he has, rather he tries to coach his players into his system.  He's stubborn as hell when it comes to his offensive system 

 

Quite frankly, a good OL, Reed, Thompson, Richardson, Guice (now AP), Vernon and Crowder is plenty enough to work with to scheme up an average to above average offense, to go along with a good defense.

 

So, do I think that Gruden was given a playoff roster?  Yes.  A thin one, but yes, I do.  Also, they HAVE won 5 games. I would almost say in spite of Gruden at times, but they have won 5 games.  So logic would tell you that the roster he was given, if healthy, was a playoff roster.

 

Now the injury bug hit mostly the same guys it hit last year.  You know what?  I just don't care.  The Colts were missing folks, the Falcons were missing both of their guards and several defensive players, and it didn't matter.  They plug the next guy in and keep playing. The Eagles lost their MVP caliber QB, HOF LT, starting RB, and a few folks on defense, and they won the SB. 

 

Injuries happen to everybody.  I personally would not have counted on Moses, Williams, Luavao and Crowder to stay healthy as my "plan."  The biggest wiff was re-signing Luavao, who is average at best AND always hurt, and having that essentially be the plan at LG with almost no plan B. 

 

Tye is also often hurt, so you go into the season with injury concerns with both of your starters and primary backup, and a rookie who's nowhere near ready to play. 

 

They should not have let Long go.  They should have moved him to LG, started Rouille at center, and signed another guy as a backup.

 

They also probably shouldn't have let Bree go, especially after trading Fuller to get Smith.

 

They made a lot of dumb decisions in terms of being able to cope with injuries.

 

 

 

33 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@Voice_of_Reason you might get out of that steak dinner this year by default at this rate, like sticking a firecracker in someone's sand castle what just happened to our offense in the last 48 hours.

Yeah, I'm not sure I was ever really in danger of that steak dinner regardless. I doubt the team that scored 13 points against the Cowboys and basically 13 points against the Giants was going to beat teams with powerful offenses.I expected them to get to 5-5, and, did not expect them to go 5-1 down the stretch.

 

Even though you are what your record says you are, they've beaten 1 good team this year, the Panthers.  GB is also good, but Rodgers was playing on half a leg.    Cardinals suck, Cowboys are average to below average, and the giants suck.  They beat 2 awful teams, 2 average teams and 1 good team.

 

When they play good teams and good offenses, this coaching staff has never shown the ability to get the most out of their team, so I am pretty sure they'll end up at ... 9-7-ish. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Injuries happen to everybody.  I personally would not have counted on Moses, Williams, Luavao and Crowder to stay healthy as my "plan."  The biggest wiff was re-signing Luavao, who is average at best AND always hurt, and having that essentially be the plan at LG with almost no plan B. 

 

Tye is also often hurt, so you go into the season with injury concerns with both of your starters and primary backup, and a rookie who's nowhere near ready to play. 

 

They should not have let Long go.  They should have moved him to LG, started Rouille at center, and signed another guy as a backup.

 

They also probably shouldn't have let Bree go, especially after trading Fuller to get Smith.

 

They made a lot of dumb decisions in terms of being able to cope with injuries. 

At some point early in the offseason, we only had Kouandjio as the other G on the roster. A guy we cut in September '17. I can hardly believe Jay was "fine" with that. Nor Callahan.

 

And godamn I agree on this list of "often injured" guys. If our FO plan is to bet on guys not being injured, well, they suck. All of them. Letting Long go was not a surprise, and a mistake for me as well. Though they mostly used him as a C and Rouillier played better. So I can see their point, but Long would have been a better option than Bergstrom, that's for sure.

 

Ty, Moses? Great guys, but here again often injured. As Trent is slowly becoming. So we had 2 reliable guys here in Scherff and Rouillier. One of them went down, which happens.

 

Breeland? They could have signed him back for month. I still don't know what happened here as we had the opportunity to and didn't made it happen. I can see the will to play with younger guys, but I'd still take Breeland over Stroman as of now. Now Breeland's playing with the Packers.

 

Every team have to face injuries, but rarely do they bank on guys not being injured when they are building roster. At least not the better ones. Those are looking for strong back ups to plug and play when those guys will be injured. Christian may be a move in that direction, but it's too little, too late. Guy is definately not ready to play. Nor is Casey Dunn.

 

They didn't even adressed the TE position where we have our most expensive injured guy in Jordan Reed. It's lucky he's not for now. But I'd bet that's most likely linked to the fact that he's seldom used by our QB.

 

Playoff Roster? Not even close.

At some point, people in the Front Office, coaches,  have to understand that Star Players, great players are on the field. They're not riding the bench because they are often injured.

Injured players are useless to a team, takes a roster spot if they are not IR and lower the quality of the team in the end. And with lesser capable back ups, it can only leads to worse.

 

I mean, we're gonna start a line of NSheke, Cooper, Rouillier, Bowanko and Moses next week?

Damn, if I'm Jay, I'm not gonna send CT behind it right now, I'm not even sure I'm putting Smith or Peterson behind that line. That could only lead to disaster. Send Perine, Marshall, Bibbs maybe, volunteer them for sacrificial duty and see what happens. CT will get injured in the first and lost for the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should have invested more mid to low round picks in young talented OL to push the likes of Luavao while also serving as depth.

 

Now once again injuries are crushing what could have been a decent season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We should have invested more mid to low round picks in young talented OL to push the likes of Luavao while also serving as depth.

 

Now once again injuries are crushing what could have been a decent season.

 

Yeah, talk about running fast as possible into a brick wall. 5-2, relatively healthy. Grinding out wins while trying to get guys back healthy and improve the cohesion of the pass game.

 

Then, the Atlanta game....

 

200w.webp?cid=3640f6095be0e267504b6d4632

 

we all should know what is next...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

At some point early in the offseason, we only had Kouandjio as the other G on the roster. A guy we cut in September '17. I can hardly believe Jay was "fine" with that. Nor Callahan.

 

And godamn I agree on this list of "often injured" guys. If our FO plan is to bet on guys not being injured, well, they suck. All of them. Letting Long go was not a surprise, and a mistake for me as well. Though they mostly used him as a C and Rouillier played better. So I can see their point, but Long would have been a better option than Bergstrom, that's for sure.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

At some point early in the offseason, we only had Kouandjio as the other G on the roster. A guy we cut in September '17. I can hardly believe Jay was "fine" with that. Nor Callahan.

The plan was ALWAYS to re-sign Luavao, who Jay LOVES.  They just didn't have to do it quickly because nobody else was going to sign him.  I think that on one of the first pages of the "what are we going to do at LG" thread I said that the answer was Luavao, and that he was the starter even if he wasn't actually on the roster. 

 

32 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

And godamn I agree on this list of "often injured" guys. If our FO plan is to bet on guys not being injured, well, they suck. All of them. Letting Long go was not a surprise, and a mistake for me as well. Though they mostly used him as a C and Rouillier played better. So I can see their point, but Long would have been a better option than Bergstrom, that's for sure.

Long would have been a better guard than Luavao, or anybody else currently on the roster.  I'm not sure why nobody thought of that. 

 

Williams, Scherff (I think, he might not have, actually, but he was hurt, I think a knee), Moses and Luavao ALL had surgery in or after the season, as did Ty.  And we expect all of them to stay healthy?  It's madness and stupid. 

 

32 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Ty, Moses? Great guys, but here again often injured. As Trent is slowly becoming. So we had 2 reliable guys here in Scherff and Rouillier. One of them went down, which happens.

Scherff was hurt last year and gutted it out. 

 

32 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Breeland? They could have signed him back for month. I still don't know what happened here as we had the opportunity to and didn't made it happen. I can see the will to play with younger guys, but I'd still take Breeland over Stroman as of now. Now Breeland's playing with the Packers.

The coaches didn't like Bree for whatever reason, which is fine.  If you don't want a player around, I get it.  But when you lose Bree and Fuller, and you really don't replace either...

 

32 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Every team have to face injuries, but rarely do they bank on guys not being injured when they are building roster. At least not the better ones. Those are looking for strong back ups to plug and play when those guys will be injured. Christian may be a move in that direction, but it's too little, too late. Guy is definately not ready to play. Nor is Casey Dunn.

I said before the season if Williams, Luavao, Moses, Crowder and CT were hurt, I didn't want to hear any excuses about it, because it was predictable.  Guess what happened?  They're ALL hurt. Again.  SHOCKER.

 

Thanks not a knock on them at all.  It's just that it's predictable, and good FOs don't put the entire fate of the team on guys who are recovering from surgery. 

 

Ty being hurt also not great.

32 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

They didn't even adressed the TE position where we have our most expensive injured guy in Jordan Reed. It's lucky he's not for now. But I'd bet that's most likely linked to the fact that he's seldom used by our QB.

Well, he left the game with back and neck issues.  Not sure what his status is.

 

I said they should have traded Reed or Vernon, either one, and picked up another TE who could catch and run-block. 

 

32 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I mean, we're gonna start a line of NSheke, Cooper, Rouillier, Bowanko and Moses next week?

Damn, if I'm Jay, I'm not gonna send CT behind it right now, I'm not even sure I'm putting Smith or Peterson behind that line. That could only lead to disaster. Send Perine, Marshall, Bibbs maybe, volunteer them for sacrificial duty and see what happens. CT will get injured in the first and lost for the season.

Perine fumbles 7 times if they allow him to carry the ball.

 

I do think that at the beginning it's a playoff roster.  They're 5-3.

 

Now, not so much.  I really don't care.  I'm done with Jay regardless.  I've seen enough in these 8 games plus the previous 4 years to know he's a fraud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

 

I do think that at the beginning it's a playoff roster.  They're 5-3.

That's where we disagree.

It's a playoff roster when your guys are not injured. Maybe. When they are, is it one? Doubtful...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THe roster and injuries are so bad, at this point I'm starting to believe the franchise is cursed, and nothing short of a Name change could fix that.

(not that I'm advocating that.)  But look, we brought in a slot receiver, did not replace Pryor, have had Mo Harris step up a little bit, and still can't be consistent??

This team needs 3 new OL and quick cause who knows when trent finally hangs it up.

We need a STarting caliber WR, a better backup RB then anyone in house right now, and I've not even talked about QB or Defense ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I do think that at the beginning it's a playoff roster.  They're 5-3.

  

Now, not so much.

 

Exactly this. Without all the critical injuries, I suspect they get things improved enough to get those 10 wins, NFCE title, and a playoff sniff. 

 

Now... seems so unlikely.. even in a wildly inept division. :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.