Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Water Heater recommendations

Zguy28

I've put in 3-4 Rheems in the latest couple years (friends/family) just because it's what available around here so that's not a recommendation, although they're all working as expected.

What I was going to say is that a water heater is a very simple device and 95% of the time what kills them is sediment in the tank. If you put a new one in you need to make a habit of flushing it yearly, one of those tankless jobs that pays off in the long run. No one ever does, and for sure plumbers won't suggest it because your water heater will last forever and they'll never sell you another, but just a set routine like changing all the smoke detector batteries is worthwhile.

I was incorrect on the age, its actually 31 years old! I looked up the serial and its December 1987!

THank God I have great town water with little sediment and its glass lined which I assume helped. Time to change her out. I haven't sweated copper in years.

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

get an instant GAS hot water heater ^_^

As was pointed out to me when I used the same terminology, it's just a water heater, not a hot water heater.  Why would you need to heat the water if it was already hot?

Above all make sure its properly installed by a professional.  I would steer very clear of big box stores, keeping in mind manufacturers create seperate lines for them that are specd down to meet a price point.  You are not getting a better deal at the home depot.  You are payibg less for a bad product. 

Shop with a plumbing wholesaler.  Any name brand is most likeley fine but If i had to recommend a brand it would be bradford white.  Homeowners are not allowed to buy them which automatically means they care about quality installation of their heaters.  That and they dont sell to home cheapo or lowes, both very good signs.

Good luck, sounds like you got some great life out of your old one

7 hours ago, zoony said:

Above all make sure its properly installed by a professional.  I would steer very clear of big box stores, keeping in mind manufacturers create seperate lines for them that are specd down to meet a price point.  You are not getting a better deal at the home depot.  You are payibg less for a bad product. 

Shop with a plumbing wholesaler.  Any name brand is most likeley fine but If i had to recommend a brand it would be bradford white.  Homeowners are not allowed to buy them which automatically means they care about quality installation of their heaters.  That and they dont sell to home cheapo or lowes, both very good signs.

If they don't allow homeowners to purchase, how do you arrange this?

3 hours ago, Springfield said:

Thoughts on tankless heaters?

Nice, but expensive. You're talking more than $2000 likely.

17 hours ago, zoony said:

Yeah, was thinking the same thing, but the thing is, even the "good" one's your talking about only have a 12 year warranty just like the big box ones. My current one is an AO Smith that was installed when the house was built.

Archived