Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Miami Herald: I’m done trying to understand Trump supporters. Why don’t they try to understand me?

9 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

A dude at work told me he was wearing his "Reagan/Bush '84" shirt the other day.

I got my brother that shirt for his birthday a few years back. 🤓

14 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Ike was super solid, really.  

But he hated Nazis, so he’d inevitably be a centrist Democrat these days.  Bernie Bros would probably have a mean nickname for him like “Dwight the blight” or such.

He picked Nixon to be his VP. 😬

1 minute ago, hail2skins said:

Covid spending under both Trump and Biden, plus a Fed that acted too slow, contributed to the inflation we are dealing with.

I think Trump performance wise from a policy perspective earned reelection, but he has only himself to blame for people getting sick of him. Covid presented him an opportunity and he stepped on it

Don’t agree at all on inflation having anything to do with Trump. Covid opportunity? What does that mean? His fan base has grown exponentially since Covid.

1 minute ago, WashingtonWoke said:

Don’t agree at all on inflation having anything to do with Trump. Covid opportunity? What does that mean? His fan base has grown exponentially since Covid.

So you don't think the trillions in covid spending under Trump (and yes, it happened under Biden too) was inflationary? If you can't acknowledge that, than you are truly just a troll.

Covid provided an opportunity for Trump to show leadership. Instead he goes in one week to comparing it to the flu to quivering "oh its bad" by the end of the same week. What a wet noodle.

• Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

I got my brother that shirt for his birthday a few years back. 🤓

He picked Nixon to be his VP. 😬

‘Nixon would be a Dem, too.  Dude created the EPA while Bernie was honeymooning in Moscow.

Also…”exponentially” huh?

Edited by TradeTheBeal!
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Covid spending under both Trump and Biden, plus a Fed that acted too slow, contributed to the inflation we are dealing with.

I think Trump performance wise from a policy perspective earned reelection, but he has only himself to blame for people getting sick of him. Covid presented him an opportunity and he stepped on it

I keep trying to reply and submit and it’s not showing up so?

6 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

‘Nixon would be a Dem, too.  Dude created the EPA while Bernie was honeymooning in Moscow.

That honeymoon was at least 15 years after Nixon n you know it. 🤣

Also Nixon didn't really want to create the EPA. It was pushed for by people in his administration tho. 🤓

1 hour ago, WashingtonWoke said:

I agree. No way you can compare Trumps presidency to biden! It’s night and day. You can’t defend that.

Oh, it's possible to compare almost everything. Granted, some are more valid than others. 

For example:  

Number of US jobs added, per month, in thousands:  

Biden:  490

Trump: -12

Trump, first 3 years:  180

3 years prior to Trump:  224

Change in the federal deficit. Before --> After, $M

Trump:  (deficit for the fiscal year prior to his Presidency, to his Presidency's last fiscal year) Billions of dollars, inflation adjusted to 2012:  

$617 --> $2344

Biden:  not enough data to really compare fiscal years, since he's only had one. So I'll take monthly data, for six months (since one-month data fluctuates hugely) times two, to get a pseudo year. I don't have inflation-adjusted numbers for these. 

$2121 --> $1414

Edited by Larry
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Larry said:

Just - really wanted to quote this.  

Larry, compared to other presidents in recent memory who got reelected, do you really disagree?

Do you think he would've been reelected if not for covid? I think he would have....likely more narrowly in the EC than 2016 (and would've lost the popular vote)

Edited by hail2skins

1 minute ago, hail2skins said:

Larry, compared to other presidents in recent memory who got reelected, do you really disagree?

Uh, I get the feeling that one of us is mis-reading or mis-typing.  

Please tell us which of Trump's policies earned him reelection.  

Just now, Larry said:

Uh, I get the feeling that one of us is mis-reading or mis-typing.  

Please tell us which of Trump's policies earned him reelection.  

Yeah, I think maybe policies is the word we are getting hung up on.

Results may be what I'm looking for. The economy was doing relatively well. No, no the "greatest in US history" as many MAGAS claim, but well enough. Trump increasing the deficit even before covid was terrible and I think it's something DeSantis or some other GOP aspirant can hit him on. Of course, Trump will just say that they have a small **** and the base will clap like seals.

10 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Results may be what I'm looking for. The economy was doing relatively well. No, no the "greatest in US history" as many MAGAS claim, but well enough.

Oh, I do agree that if Covid doesn't happen, Trump probably coasts to a second term.  

That's why their immediate response to Covid was to run back and forth between claiming it didn't exist, to claiming that it was only affecting Dems, so pay no attention.  Which then morphed into their current position of simply opposing any and all efforts to even reduce the virus' damage.  Can't change positions, or anything.  

The American voters will reelect anybody, if the economy is good.  

And the Republicans knew it.  That's why the one and only piece of agenda that "the party of fiscal discipline" passed, during Trump's entire administration, with control of the WH and both houses of Congress, was to immediately

1)  Pass the biggest tax cut that they could, using reconciliation.  

2)  Pass the biggest spending increase they could, using reconciliation.  

They doubled the federal deficit.  And it got then an economy that was adding jobs 80% as fast as it was when they took over.  But wow, the stock market and corporate profits sure went up.  

Edit:  

That's also why the new GOP Congress, a big part of their agenda will consist of trying to hurt the US economy.  Again - it's not to their advantage for the economy to be good.  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Larry said:

The American voters will reelect anybody, if the economy is good.  

Except if you're a jackass like Trump or are running against a rock star like Bill Clinton. Bush Sr did have a mild recession and it was the third straight GOP term, but I can't see him losing in 92 if, say, Paul Tsongas was the Dem nominee.

3 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Trump just said he's going to make a "big" announcement at MAL next Tuesday.

I agree with you at the margin of victory in presidential contests from here on out. Won't see any big landslides.

But even though it's early, nothing wrong with asking what people's gut says about 2024. Not what they WANT to happen, but what they THINK will happen.

You and I both know what's going down.....

It’s way to early to know. A lot can happen in 2 years.

Reagan’s first 2 years weren’t good. Looked like he’d be a one termer. Dems do good in midterms. Economy finally takes off and Reagan wins a landslide re-election.

Clinton’s party gets shellacked in 94. Gop retakes senate and gop wins house for first time in 40 years. Clinton wins landslide re-election.

Obama’s party get shellacked. They lose house and nearly the senate. Down ballot Dems get wiped out. We are still living that election’s results today. Obama wins a comfortable re-election.

We don’t know what will happen the next 2 years. Trump gets indicted; how does effect his chances. Does that give Desantis an opening?  Biden chooses not to run; could Dems find someone to win in 24.  We technically had a recession in quarters 1 and 2. Everyone is saying deep recession in 23.  It’s too early to say how 24 goes. Only we know, 24 starts tomorrow.

1 hour ago, hail2skins said:

Yeah, I think maybe policies is the word we are getting hung up on.

Results may be what I'm looking for. The economy was doing relatively well. No, no the "greatest in US history" as many MAGAS claim, but well enough. Trump increasing the deficit even before covid was terrible and I think it's something DeSantis or some other GOP aspirant can hit him on. Of course, Trump will just say that they have a small **** and the base will clap like seals.

Presidents get too much credit when the economy is doing well and too much blame when it's doing poorly. What specific things that Trump did makes you believe he somehow had a major hand in the economy doing well (or the stock market at least)?

Literally the only thing he did was pass a massive tax cut for the rich and corporations, but I guess that did somewhat help to artificially inflate the stock market.

• Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Presidents get too much credit when the economy is doing well and too much blame when it's doing poorly. What specific things that Trump did makes you believe he somehow had a major hand in the economy doing well (or the stock market at least)?

Literally the only thing he did was pass a massive tax cut for the rich and corporations, but I guess that did somewhat help to artificially inflate the stock market.

Really agree about Presidents getting too much credit/blame for the economy. 

But. It's a fact. And if you're (the President's) not willing to live with it, you're in the wrong job. 

And I can have a rational discussion with somebody who wants to compare "what happened while President X was in office" vs President Y. 

It's a simplistic debate. But at least it's equal. 

What I can't/won't discuss with is somebody who wants to play "everything good that happened under President X was because of him, but everything bad was somebody else". 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

Not specific to Trump, but deregulatory actions are generally seen as beneficial to growth.

Question I like to ask folks is: are there any general aspects of Trump's America First agenda (be it with immigration, trade, foreign policy) that you agree with? While at the same time realizing that these issues have complexities that won't be addressed by, say, just building a wall.

At the same time Republicans have to concede that Biden's approach to the Russia-Ukraine conflict has gone very well.

What drives me crazy are the GOP folks who now decry the "failed Bush/Cheney policies." You heard crickets from these folks when these policies were being enacted.

You're trying to ask for a rational discussion. I understand, kind of. 

But I have to say it feels like you're asking to discuss the details of a slogan that intentionally doesn't have any details behind it. 

My impression seems to be that Trump's policy seems to mirror the way he ran businesses.

Take something that people are making money with. 

Intentionally break it. 
Then when people come to ask you to stop breaking things, say "What'll you give me?"  (And he means him, personally. Not the country.)

• Like 1