Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP:Losing isn't what Bailey signed on for

TK

Look, he may be frustrated... but it is getting more obvious each passing day he doesn't want to be here. Why do we want a guy who doesn't want to be here... I don't, I have more PRIDE than that. We need to tag him and get rid of him.

I have been saying for months now that Champ is gone. First he dosen't want to be here, which is clear;y evident from statements that he had made over the past couple of years. Secondly, his refusal to even entertain the possibility of countering the Skins initial offer. He believes he's underpaid, he's the best CB in the league, he's tired of losing well. He will be franchised traded and lets see who gets him, for how much and what the teams performance turns out to be. Champs not even going to sniff what the skins initially offerd him, from any team, especially given his pathetic performance this year. He gambled and lost big IMO.

Let him go for some good picks and get one of the other half a dozen good CB at a third of the cost and get two studs at DE. I wish retailers would get different jerseys as well. I never been a fan of wearing a CB jersey. Always liked the LB, DE, DT instead, and the "9" jersey as well.

no, Bailey signed up because he was getting paid :)

and ultimately THAT is what is going to determine where he goes if the Skins allow him to negotiate with other teams next offseason.

Bailey is a guy I have liked less and less over the past couple of seasons.

Yes, Champ is a good cover corner, but I don't see the same lockdown skills that a Deion Sanders or Mike Haynes had in their primes.

He gets beaten. In fact I can remember games like this year's Giants game and the Dallas game in 2001 where his poor performance was a significant factor in our losses.

Bailey is not a good run support corner and his tackling skills in the open field leave something to be desired.

How many times have we seen him be at a spot to make a play only to have a guy break his arm tackles high?

Too often.

Bailey is a top 15 corner who wants to be paid as if he is clearly the BEST corner in the NFL, bar none.

And I just don't see him in that light.

Bulldog,

Are you telling there are 14 other corners in this league that are better than Champ? If so, then I definitely disagree. Please name these other 14 corners and I guarantee you they get beat alot more than Champ.

I also disagree with how he plays the run. There have been numerous times this season where he's stepped up and stopped a sweep, only allowing the back to gain two yards or so. Earlier in the season when he forced a fumble, it was off a hit on a back he made during a sweep.

Last season he put an Eagles TE out the game on a hit he laid on him. He isn't surest tackler on the team, but LaVar misses his fair share as well, let's not hold certain players to a standard and not expect the same from all our star players.

Here is what I think you should look at. You either sign Champ Bailey or........

It is the or you have to look at and see if it is going to be better. What happens if the Redskins don't sign Bailey? Who else do they sign? What draft picks if any do they get for him? Do they franchise him which they probably will?

I think you have to compare the signing of Bailey to the or. Whatever the or may be.

Any ideas of what the or may be?

Originally posted by JWB

I don't hear Lavar asking for money worthy of the top player at that position. Champ is a myth. Nothing more.

Your point is moot, LaVar's contract isn't up. Nor does either one of their contracts or contract demands have anything to do with performance.

Originally posted by DieselPwr44

Charles Woodson.

Hell no. I'm not bashing Woodson, but if you're pissed at Champ for his performance this season, then you don't want Woodson.

Champ and Woodson are basically the only corners in the league that shadow the other team's best reciever for most of the game. Most teams don't do this, they'll put each starting corner on a side and those corners will cover whoever lines up on their side. That is why most analysts always say Champ and Woodson are the best, or among the best in the league. They do this, and generally are successful at it.

Yet If you're mad at Champ for his performance this season, you must not have seen many Raiders games. Woodson gets burnt too, and more frequently than Champ Bailey. And he has for the last 2-3 seasons.

Also, Woodson should be considered injury prone by now. Besides his rookie season, I can't recall a single year where his performance wasn't hampered by some injury. This is the only season where Champ has endured any type of serious injury in his whole career. You can guess which one is more durable.

Since we are playing the string, I would like to see Champ sit a game and see what happens when Smoot is locked up on the other teams #1 receiver. I liked Champ for a number of years, but his mouth and comments this last year have really pissed me off. If he can be had for a decent price and a clause to keep his yap shut, I'd say sign him. But if he still wants to turn his nose up at what we offered at the beginning of the year or even less, then let him take his sh!tty attitude somewhere else. maybe he and MeShawn can start their own team.

Originally posted by Sarge

Since we are playing the string, I would like to see Champ sit a game and see what happens when Smoot is locked up on the other teams #1 receiver. I liked Champ for a number of years, but his mouth and comments this last year have really pissed me off. If he can be had for a decent price and a clause to keep his yap shut, I'd say sign him. But if he still wants to turn his nose up at what we offered at the beginning of the year or even less, then let him take his sh!tty attitude somewhere else. maybe he and MeShawn can start their own team.

How you could compare Champ to Keyshawn is baffling? What exactly do they have in common in terms of personality??

Oh, and we've seen how Smoot's played when locked up with #1 reciever with any type of regularity. It happened last season, and the results weren't that great. Some of us have short memories.

What teams do you all think will have an interest in him? I truly believe the organization wants to resign him(I agree). I think they should do what most teams would do: Try to sign him and if they can't, franchise him, still try to sign him and if that fails see if anyone would give us 2 ones. He is a rare player. Yeah he's had a down year but he's a pro and he'll bounce back. He had Darrell Green as his mentor for crying out loud. What's wrong with him being bummed at losing all the time? Would you rather he not care?

Originally posted by Gamebreaker

How you could compare Champ to Keyshawn is baffling? What exactly do they have in common in terms of personality??

Oh, and we've seen how Smoot's played when locked up with #1 reciever with any type of regularity. It happened last season, and the results weren't that great. Some of us have short memories.

Speaking of short memories, I guess you don't remember Champs quotes during training camp. "Pay me, pay me, pay me. I'm so awesome" Good thing we didn't blow that money this year. I wonder how many of us would be b!tchin' with him making 50 Billion a year and playing the way he has this year? My point was that Smoot has another year of experience. I would like to see if that experience has done any good.

Originally posted by Sarge

Speaking of short memories, I guess you don't remember Champs quotes during training camp. "Pay me, pay me, pay me. I'm so awesome" Good thing we didn't blow that money this year. I wonder how many of us would be b!tchin' with him making 50 Billion a year and playing the way he has this year? My point was that Smoot has another year of experience. I would like to see if that experience has done any good.

Actually, I do remember his quotes from training camp. They just didn't look or sound like anything like that.

I think Smoot has improved, yet his improved play also has something to with covering the #1 WR less.

I agree again Gamebreaker. Everyone will be complaining all next year when the other corner is getting picked on every game. Yes, if we greatly improve our pass rush we'll not miss him as much. But most good teams have one top corner. If Champ leaves we'll have no top corner. I love Smoot, but as a number 2. The only way I'd feel comfortable letting him go is if we were to sign a good one to take his place. Antoine Winfield, Chris McAllister would be the two I'd go after but I think Chris would cost just as much as Champ. Oh well, I'm anxious to see what'll happen this offseason. :gaintsuck

Archived