Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP:Losing isn't what Bailey signed on for

TK

http://www.dailypress.com/news/local/virginia/dp-fbn--redskins-bailey1203dec03,0,1379930.story?coll=dp-headlines-virginia

Losing isn't what Bailey signed on for

By the Associated Press

Published December 3, 2003

ASHBURN, Va. -- Things started so well for Champ Bailey.

In his first season with the Washington Redskins, the team won a division title and a playoff game. Four non-winning seasons later, it's all a distant memory.

"It's very frustrating," Bailey said. "You come in your rookie year, make the playoffs and you haven't been back since. It's probably more frustrating to me more than anybody because I've had a taste of the playoffs and how it feels to win a playoff game."

With his contract up at the end of this season, the three-time Pro Bowl cornerback has to decide if all that frustration makes it worth staying with the Redskins, who offered him a nine-year, $55 million contract with $14.7 million in bonus money before the start of the season.

"I won't speak much on that," Bailey said. "But everything that's happened here, everything that's going on and everything I look forward to in the future will affect my decision. Of course, everything's not in my hands, but I think I have a little say-so with what I'm going to do."

Bailey and his agent declined to make a counteroffer, and both sides agreed to resume negotiations late in the season. If Bailey decided not to re-sign with the Redskins, the team could complicate his plans to leave by designating him as a franchise player.

Bailey has seen the Redskins go through significant changes every year since owner Dan Snyder made him first draft pick in 1999. Bailey already has played for four head coaches and five defensive coordinators, and Snyder's big-money free agents signings are becoming a yearly ritual.

"What's surprising is that we keep losing with the talent we have, and that's killing me," Bailey said. "We've got to find a way to get out of that. We've been here with a lot of talent and we haven't done anything with it. I've seen people come and go; you've just got to figure out a way to win."

The defense certainly hasn't figured it out lately. Untimely mistakes have failed to protect fourth-quarter leads against Carolina, Miami and New Orleans.

"You've got to look at the whole picture. Some of those games, they've had some big pass interference calls that put them on the 1-yard line. Especially against Miami and last week they called one on Champ," linebacker Jeremiah Trotter said.

Bailey had two interference calls in the 24-20 loss to New Orleans. Both led to Saints touchdowns. Bailey pleads guilty to the first one--he was beat and was just trying to prevent a touchdown _ but he disagrees with the second.

"I would never say it if I didn't believe it," Bailey said. "It's a bad call."

Now Bailey and the rest of the Redskins are forced to play out the string, starting Sunday against the New York Giants.

"We don't need to worry about what's going to happen after the season; we need to beat the Giants. That's all we should be concerned about," Bailey said. "We can't look forward and worry about what's going to happen next season. If you really look that far ahead, why aren't we trying to lose games and get a higher draft spot? I wouldn't do anything like that. That's stupid." Notes:@ Coach Steve Spurrier denied rumors that he had contacted about the head coaching position at the University of Nebraska. "Y'all have got to quit believing all that," Spurrier said. "I can honestly say that this is as far north as I'll ever live." ... T Daryl Terrell was signed Wednesday to take the place of recently signed Kenyatta Jones, who was placed on injured reserve with a knee injury. ... OL Pita Elisara was signed to the practice squad.

The guy is frustrated.................so are we. I'd rather have him frustrated than not. At least it shows that he does care and he does want to win.

What does that say about the state of the league when actually wanting to win is a good virtue?

yeah...I know it's frustrating Champ.... so how about doing something about it. How about a tipped pass that results in an interception.....a stripped ball resulting in a fumble recovery....or for god sake...how about a jumped route that takes the ball the other way for a score. We need more of that from you and your defensive teamates, and less of shaking your head from side to side and clapping your hands in disgust.

Pick up your last check and collect your things, you're not in our plans next year.

Losing isn't what Bailey signed on for with Redskins

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Associated Press

ASHBURN, Va. -- Champ Bailey thought his successful rookie season with the Washington Redskins was a sign of good things to come.

Four non-winning seasons later, the division title and playoff victory are just distant memories for the star cornerback.

"It's very frustrating," Bailey said. "You come in your rookie year, make the playoffs and you haven't been back since. It's probably more frustrating to me more than anybody because I've had a taste of the playoffs and how it feels to win a playoff game."

With his contract up at the end of this season, the three-time Pro Bowler has to decide if all that frustration makes it worth staying with the Redskins (4-8), who offered him a nine-year, $55 million contract with $14.7 million in bonus money before the start of the season.

"I won't speak much on that," Bailey said. "But everything that's happened here, everything that's going on and everything I look forward to in the future will affect my decision. Of course, everything's not in my hands, but I think I have a little say-so with what I'm going to do."

Bailey and his agent declined to make a counteroffer, and both sides agreed to resume negotiations late in the season. If Bailey decides to not re-sign with the Redskins, the team could complicate his plans to leave by designating him a franchise player.

Bailey has seen the Redskins go through significant changes every year since owner Dan Snyder made him first draft pick in 1999. Bailey already has played for four head coaches and five defensive coordinators, and Snyder's big-money free-agent signings are becoming an annual ritual.

"What's surprising is that we keep losing with the talent we have, and that's killing me," Bailey said. "We've got to find a way to get out of that. We've been here with a lot of talent and we haven't done anything with it. I've seen people come and go; you've just got to figure out a way to win."

The defense certainly hasn't figured it out lately. Untimely mistakes have failed to protect fourth-quarter leads against Carolina, Miami and New Orleans.

"You've got to look at the whole picture. Some of those games, they've had some big pass interference calls that put them on the 1-yard line. Especially against Miami and last week they called one on Champ," linebacker Jeremiah Trotter said.

Bailey had two interference calls in the 24-20 loss to New Orleans. Both led to Saints touchdowns. Bailey pleads guilty to the first one -- he was beat on the play and was just trying to prevent a touchdown -- but he disagrees with the second.

"I would never say it if I didn't believe it," Bailey said. "It's a bad call."

Now Bailey and the rest of the Redskins are forced to play out the string, starting Sunday against the New York Giants.

"We don't need to worry about what's going to happen after the season; we need to beat the Giants. That's all we should be concerned about," Bailey said. "We can't look forward and worry about what's going to happen next season. If you really look that far ahead, why aren't we trying to lose games and get a higher draft spot? I wouldn't do anything like that. That's stupid."

I'm a huge Champ fan, and was estatic when we drafted him! It concerns me with some of his comments. I think the Skins should do everything in their power to lock him up, and keep him. They should play him a little more on offense, and see what he can do! If we lose Champ, it will be a lot worse next season IMO!

Why on earth would the Redskins play him on offense when he is having such difficulties on defense?

If playing CB was so easy for him that he needed another challenge, maybe then you'd consider it. But, the guy is having a rough year. And, why would you play him at WR when he drops the ball whenever he gets a chance to make a pick?

Originally posted by ktball74

If we lose Champ, it will be a lot worse next season IMO!

Not really bro.

Champ is a great corner; there is not doubt about that. But one man does not make a team. A good team has veteran players that step up and lead; not isolate themselves and believe they are worth more than any other player.

Not to mention, Champ's actionsto reject the contract sends messages to everyone on the team, in one way or another.

Look, I like Champ...he's been solid for awhile now. But we need players like Coles (and Smoot as of late) who can show a dedicated work ethic and lead this team a little.

And, if Champ is so valuable, just think of the team players we could trade/draft for him.

Good point SonnyJ.

For a guy who thinks he should be a receiver he doesn't seem to have great hands.

Champ clearly doesn't want to be here. As long as we get decent compensation he needs to go. We don't need players who would rather be somewhere else.

I thought our original contract offer to Champ was very fair. I'll be disappointed with management if they go any higher.

A great pass rush can cover for a mediocre secondary. It doesn't work the other way around. We need to keep that in mind.

Well we will see how much of it is about winning and how much of it is about the cash. If he takes a huge contract to go to Detroit or Atlanta then we'll know he's full of BS, because those teams aren't any better than the Skins.

Archived