Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Reboot with Our Divisional Landscape in Mind

TD_washingtonredskins

Two years ago, we were making the playoffs in Gruden's second year while the Eagles and Cowboys both appeared to be sinking quickly. What's become obvious over the past couple years is that we've established ourselves as a consistently competent team...very capable of winning games and putting forth a solid effort. I believe we are good enough to have a third straight winning season, which is no small task for this franchise. What's also become quite obvious is that the Cowboys and Eagles have vaulted right over us, mostly due to hitting on their young QBs. Wentz and Prescott aren't going anywhere and are going to be a problem for a while. 

I think we need to keep this in mind when we make our next set of decisions. To me, it makes sense to build a team that can stop those guys since we won't really do anything special in a given year if we can't. For three years now our strength has been Cousins and the passing game. And, through no fault of Cousins himself, that's only been good enough to become competent. If some of the rumors are true, it's going to be tough to keep him here without throwing insane money at him. I'm almost convinced now that our best chance to take the next step is not to triple down on him, but do become a great and nasty defense. We need to continue the McCloughan blueprint and try to build what he helped build in San Francisco and Seattle so that we can have a shot to stop the two young QBs in our division. 

I believe we very close to solidifying this defense. We have good talent at every level right now (Allen/Ioannidis on the DL, Brown/Kerrigan/Smith at LB, Swearinger/Norman at DB) and should be able to supplement that side of the ball in FA and the draft. We could also add more talent to the OL and find ourselves a good RB. Those are all moves that really could happen in one off-season. 

To me, it makes no sense to build a team in a vacuum. You have to look at the landscape of your division and figure out the best way to match up with the current talent on your rival teams. I'm more convinced than ever that the play here is to try to build a nasty D, continue to invest in the OL, and try to develop more of a QB-agnostic, smash mouth approach. It seems more likely to be successful than to try to maintain a dynamic, pass-happy offense with a QB price tag that will continue to grow. 

2 minutes ago, madden lot said:

I've been thinking of this since the end of last year. 

I'm mad and jealous. 

It just feels like to take a step up in the league you have to be great at something. I thought we were on the verge of being great as a passing offense, but we are far too inconsistent there (and paying the trigger man may in fact keep us from signing more weapons). If we could become a great defense then maybe we can turn into a team that only relies on our offense to score 17-20 per game? 

I have a question: Why can Dallas and Philly re-build from crap records in 2 years, while the 'Skins need 5-6 years, and then re-boot in the middle of that, to always extend the cycle?  

The answer: they are professionally run organizations (and I CRINGE saying that about Dallas) that make good personnel decisions.  Sure, Dallas hit on Dak, the Eagles hit on Wentz.  But those are not the only things they did to build their teams.  

The way it's going, the NYG are going to have a top-pick, and they're going to probably draft Eli's replacement. They already have a really solid defense, and (when healthy) possibly the best WR in the league.  

The reason we're constantly stuck in neutral is because we have a non-GM acting as a GM and giving a lot of say to the HC on personnel decisions.  A real GM would absolutely not allow a team to go into the season with Rob Kelley as the feature back, and reply on Ryan Grant as "the answer" if the WR who can't stay healthy, you know, can't stay healthy, or the WR who has played 5 minutes of WR doesn't catch on to a difficult system right away. 

The other thing that Gruden can't figure out, which astounds me, is how one position effects another.  Becuase there's no consistency on the outside, that minimizes what Crowder and Reed can do, because there are more defenders on the inside.  Because you have squat on the outside, you also need to run the ball more, and need a back who can help out by getting extra yards, with good vision.  We don't have that either.  So, we have under-performing RBs, and under-performing WRs, and TEs who can't block.  So, we ask the TEs to block, the RBs to run into 10 man fronts, and can't throw anybody out of it because our starting WRs are effectively a rookie and a guy who wouldn't make most teams as a 4th stringer.  

The personnel moves, combined with dumbass coaching moves has this team stuck in mediocrity, while the other teams in the division have vaulted ahead of us.

Gruden is not a good personnel guy, and shouldn't have anything more than an advisory role in personnel.  But Allen, who's the fool's fool when it comes to personnel, trusts him.  And now they have Doug Williams, who also contributes in some way, but isn't the GM, so who knows how much say he has in anything.

The structure of the FO is stupid.  I don't have a problem with Allen as President if there's a GM who's ACTUALLY the GM.  We haven't had that. SM wasn't really the GM.  

So we've pinned our hopes, essentially, to Gruden to coach the team and select the players.  I'd argue that the GM Gruden has let the Coach Gruden down.  However, the Coach Gruden isn't great either.  

So, we're going to be stuck in the perpetual 8-8 mode forever.  It's like Marvin Lewis (SURPRISE! Gruden coached under Lewis) all over again without the scattered 10-6 seasons.  

We're back to 3rd best in the division this year, and probably basement next year if Kirk leaves. I'd love to see Gruden try out McCoy for a season.  He loves McCoy, another physically limited, smart, try-hard Gruden guy. 

I look at the schedule and say to myself who are they gonna beat:

Maybe AZ with Stanton at QB ... but maybe not.

No one in the Division.

Not NO.

Not Minn.

Not Denver.

Of course not Seattle.  

Chargers? 

Skins could have a shot at Darnold, Rosen or Rudolph or Allen.

I'm beyond sick and tired.

2 minutes ago, Gregpeck99 said:

No one in the Division.

Not NO.

Not Minn.

Not Denver.

Of course not Seattle.  

Chargers? 

With the injuries we have, I tend to agree and hope to hell I'm wrong..  We're going to need a lot of luck sniffing the playoffs right now, imo...  And when I say luck, I mean getting our injured back...  Assuming we do, the 2 games against the Giants we may be able to scrounge a win on.  Denver doesn't look all worldly..  New Orleans appears to have found a defense.  Minnesota is playing tough and Seattle is Seattle.  Chargers?  We may have a chance there..

As for a top-flight rookie QB to groom, from what I'm reading, Darnold probably will stay at USC for another year...

I agree with the OP, we're a couple players on defense away from being pretty good.  I like our secondary so add some outside rush and get another fat boy inside to work with Allen and Ioannidis and then we can focus on filling in the gaps at WR, G,  and QB.

Let's focus on both sides of the line of scrimmage and then go from there.

****(assuming Scherff and Williams play) I'll bet anybody hear a $10 bill that the Redskins go into Seattle and win.. our o-line will manhandle the Vikings d line are defense will keep us in all three games ..saints, Vikings seahawks... I'm a huge Kirk Cousins supporter I did however mention it seems like he misses the open guys, after last night's game though I am actually ready to see what Colt McCoy can do...**** that feels bad to say..I see the potential in Kirk..but like it was said here ...maybe Kirk has hit his ceiling..is Norman out that big of a difference?..hey there's still hope for this season..starts at home against dallass!

5 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

I agree with the OP, we're a couple players on defense away from being pretty good.  I like our secondary so add some outside rush and get another fat boy inside to work with Allen and Ioannidis and then we can focus on filling in the gaps at WR, G,  and QB.

Let's focus on both sides of the line of scrimmage and then go from there.

Very well said...it all develops from the inside out..

1 hour ago, Gregpeck99 said:

No one in the Division.

Not NO.

Not Minn.

Not Denver.

Of course not Seattle.  

Chargers? 

LOL 

Our three losses this year have come to two teams with a combined record of 11-3, who, coincidentally, both happen to hold the best records in the league. Sure this team might not be one of the NFL's elite, but to take a look at our schedule in WEEK 7 and claim that we have no chance to beat anybody the rest of the season? Laughable and just down right wrong. 

The sky's not falling. This is a talented, yet inconsistent football team who has been forced to play the hardest schedule in the NFL through 6 games. We do, however, have all the reason in the world to be nervous about having to play Carson Wentz for the next 10+ years. 

Archived