Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT:Redskins ponder tailback position

TK

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20031125-112513-3556r.htm

Redskins ponder tailback position

By Jody Foldesy

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The Washington Redskins have five games to figure out who's who at tailback.

Is Trung Canidate the player who plowed into holes that weren't there and failed to shed first tacklers? Or is he the back who bowled over Miami middle linebacker Zach Thomas on Sunday and averaged more than 5 yards a carry in the second half?

What about Ladell Betts? Is he the guy who generated less than 2.3 yards a rush in consecutive losses to Philadelphia, Buffalo and Dallas? Or the one who dominated the opening win over the Jets?

Unlike the defensive line, an unquestioned priority for the Redskins this offseason, the position of running back could evolve several ways as Washington plays out the string in 2003 and looks ahead to 2004.

If Canidate or Betts emerge, the club might not stress running back in the draft and free agency. If not, Washington might spend a high pick in the draft on a back or use the pick as trade bait for someone like Cincinnati's Corey Dillon or as compensation for San Francisco restricted free agent Kevan Barlow. Or the Redskins could grab someone from a currently shallow pool of scheduled unrestricted free agents.

In any case, Washington's final five games will be, as much as anything, an audition for its running backs.

"We're going to do everything we can to win the games, but someone still does need to step forward, take over the position and go with it," offensive coordinator Hue Jackson said yesterday.

Being scrutinized are Canidate and Betts and to a lesser extent rookie Sultan McCullough and fullback Rock Cartwright. McCullough still is nursing a hand injury and can't jump to a commanding position for 2004, while Cartwright has been Washington's most effective runner at times but is too awkwardly sized (5-foot-7, 223 pounds) to be a feature back.

Even Cartwright, who is expected to return this week after missing the Dolphins game with a sprained ankle, acknowledged he has little or no shot at the long-term role.

"I probably won't get a look, but I won't be disappointed if that's the way it goes," Cartwright said.

Canidate, meanwhile, probably has been too ineffective to be relied on next year, though he did flash some potential in Sunday's loss. After struggling badly the two previous games, Canidate showed his sprained ankle might have been a factor in those efforts by running hard at Miami.

"The offensive line was giving me something to work with a little bit more," Canidate said. "The better they do, the better I do. They were solid."

Adding speed on offense was the thinking behind Washington's trade for Canidate. But Canidate's longest run is 23 yards, and he rarely has broken tackles to take advantage of his speed. Also, he has been a liability in blitz protection.

Betts is a better bet to secure Washington's tailback position. The former second-round pick has more prototypical size (222 pounds) than Canidate (205 pounds), and when he runs well he looks like former Redskin Stephen Davis.

Of course, that's when he runs. Betts has missed the past four games with a fractured forearm, and even before the injury his play was spotty. Only twice this year has Betts averaged more than 3.2 yards — in the opener against the Jets and two weeks later against the New York Giants.

Betts is expected to return for the stretch run. Washington officials remain eager to see what he can do when he's healthy.

"We haven't seen enough of him this year," Jackson said. "There have been some games where he has played very well, and then there were some games where he didn't play as well. We need to get a good long look at him."

Generally speaking, though, the ever-acquisitive Redskins figure to scan the running back market pretty closely. And because the free agent pool is suspect, the best option could come from the draft. Plus, running back often is considered the easiest position for a rookie to play well immediately.

Leading the pack of NFL prospects are Oregon State's Steven Jackson (6-3, 233) and Virginia Tech's Kevin Jones (6-0, 209). Also mentioned as potential early picks are Florida State's Greg Jones (6-1, 248), Auburn's Carnell Williams (5-11, 204), Tulane's Mewelde Moore (6-1, 210), Northern Illinois' Michael Turner (6-1, 228) and Michigan's Chris Perry (6-1, 220).

Of course, projections for players will change substantially during all-star games and the NFL Scouting Combine. Also, Jackson, Kevin Jones and Williams are juniors who must decide to enter the draft.

The crop of unrestricted free agents is weak but could grow with cap-related cuts. Dallas' Troy Hambrick is the most productive scheduled UFA (644 yards), while Philadelphia's Duce Staley (608 combined rushing and receiving yards) still appears to have something left. Potential cuts include questionable vets like the Jets' Curtis Martin (802 yards) and Tennessee's Eddie George (674 yards).

Among possible trades, the gem might be Dillon, a three-time Pro Bowl back who has fallen behind Rudi Johnson in Cincinnati. Only three other rushers in NFL history (Eric Dickerson, Barry Sanders and Martin) have rushed for at least 1,000 yards in their first six seasons. However, Dillon also has a well-known reputation for petulance.

Barlow is an up-and-coming option, having been effective in three seasons behind 49ers starter Garrison Hearst. This year Barlow is averaging 4.9 yards a carry. Although San Francisco could put the first-round tender on the former third-round pick, Washington showed a willingness to sign such a player this year when it pried Laveranues Coles from the Jets.

No he's no going to get Dillon. I think we'll get Kevan Barlow. SF would trade the rights to Barlow for a nice compensation package. Barlow is a great fit because he's a feature back, that only needs a few touches to be effective. He can also grind down the clock. Perfect fit.

yeah...the speculation regarding Barlow is ridiculous. Why on earth would the 49ers trade their 3rd-year feature back and retain an aging vet with a history of catastrophic leg injuries. Hearst has turned into a solid back, but the Redskins need youth and someone to build around.

Betts might be that guy, but he needs to play a majority of the snaps these five games and prove he can remain healthy, run hard and break tackles, and get into open space in the secondary. If he can do those things.... than RB takes a secondary role in the draft and DL/DE becomes the priority.

if the Redskins use their first pick or package it in a trade to acquire a running back, I will be confirmed in the fact this front office doesn't know its collective a$$ from a hole in the ground :)

The Redskins used 8 of 10 picks in 2002 on offense and all 3 picks in 2003.

This team is going to be down around #26 again in total defense unless an infusion of youth and speed is made and quickly.

The Redskins have the slowest DL I have ever seen. This team gets swept around the edge more than any club in the NFL.

The tackling overall is very poor.

This unit needs a complete overhaul.

Besides, how much more do we need to keep adding to the offense before it starts showing some results? :)

Gardner #1, Samuels #1, Ramsey #1, Coles traded for #1, Jansen #2, Betts #2, Jacobs #2...........major free agents for Thomas and Hall.................

Again, how many more picks do we need to make here before we get it right?

Seems to me I can remember the Redskins winning the Super Bowl with a #6 pick at quarterback (Rypien), a veteran runner we traded little known pick Mike Oliphant for (Byner) and an offensive line made up of free agents (Bostic, Jacoby) and mid to lower round draft choices (McKenzie, Schlereth, Simmons).

Of the players on that 1991 offense only Art Monk and Jim Lachey were high profile draft picks when they came into the NFL.

Originally posted by bulldog

if the Redskins use their first pick or package it in a trade to acquire a running back, I will be confirmed in the fact this front office doesn't know its collective a$$ from a hole in the ground :)

You're absolutely right Bulldog.

If this happens its piss-poor management and coaching. Isn't it ironic that we signed Stephen Davis to a stupid contract -- I blame Cerrato and Snyder for this -- amounting to $90 million and ballooning to $11 million in only the 3rd year, whereas the Rams were able to resign Marshall Faulk no problem. Then we turn around and dump Davis and take a $5-6 Mil dead cap hit, and justify it by saying he didn't "fit" the Fun n' Gun type offense.

The last time I checked, Davis had more receptions then any Redskins running back this year, and Carolina is a running team. :laugh:

Then in 2003 we use a running back-by-committe approach and when that doesn' work -- it never does -- we now seem to be back in the market for a BIG BACK who can pound the ball. But that aint gonna work next year either -- when we throw the ball 40 times with the Fun n' Gun and only run it 20. :laugh:

Originally posted by Dr. D

he runs hard, but , I dont see Barlow as a signifigant imporvement over Betts.

Exactly. Barlow is pretty average. We have enough of those guys.

Who said Gardner and a draft pick for Barlow? No f-in way. Should be the other way around, at least at this point in their careers.

If we want to trade for someone, get Lee Suggs or William Green from Cleveland. Lot cheaper. Same difference.

I would love to see Dillon here.

Originally posted by Blondie

MEMBERS NOTE!!!

I NO longer love Rock. I hope we will find one guy and give him time to develop. I don't think Trung is the one......but I believe LaDell could be.....if he can stay healthy AND work thru any injury.

Blondie

:yikes:

Holy sh!t. I just spit coffee all over my screen AND fell out of my chair!

What's up Blondie? Why the change of heart? Rock is still cool. I still have faith he's going to be great down the line. He's going to be a roll player but it will be an important roll.

:grouphug:

Originally posted by NoCalMike

Here is the point everyone is missing........NO RB IS EFFECTIVE WITH 10-15 CARRIES PER GAME. If the offense is at least not modified to get the RB more carries next season, then we mine as well just have one of us at the position.

Exactly!!

The office states no back is making a statement. But no back gets enough carries to make the statement.

One of those no win situations.

We need to decide on a back.

I need someone new to love!

;)

Blondie

For your consideration...

Carries by running backs this year.

Miami - Canidate 20, Morton 8 (L)

Carolina - Rock 9, Canidate 10 (L)

Seattle - Rock 13, Canidate 15 (W)

Dallas - Rock 8, Morton 6, McCullough 1 (L)

Buffalo - Morton 7, Rock 4, Betts 8 (L)

Tampa - Betts 13, Canidate 8, Rock 2 (L)

Philadelphia - Canidate 8, Betts 5, Morton 1, Rock 3 (L)

New England - Canidate 12, Betts 11, Rock 1 (W)

NY Giants - Canidate 9, Bettts 8, Rock 1 (L)

Atlanta - Canidate 15, Betts 11, Rock 3, Morton 1 (W)

NY Jets - Betts 18, Canidate 10, Morton 3, Rock 1 (W)

The only thing that stands out is that all of our wins have come when Canidate and Betts bothe have 10 or more carries. There may be no reason for this other than the fact that both were healthy and our D held up when it had to.

Our biggest problem this year has been defense. We have put up better than average points against some of the best defenses in the NFL and you can see that the offense is still not clicking. I think Ramesy next year will take the offense to the next level even without a major upgrade at RB as long as Betts and Canidate are healthy (Betts as the primary back, Canidate as a third down back). Our major need at this point is D line. If that is taken care of, we won't have to blitz our linebackers as much and our safteys will have a field day when QBs are forced to get rid of the ball sooner.

I hope that the front office keeps it's head and understands this.

Originally posted by Mad Mike

And I still want to know why Blondie dumped the Rock.

:confused:

:laugh:

Trust me.

I have a very good reason.

I even took the sig pics off.....so y'all KNOW I am serious.

I no longer am his #1 fan. I am not even a fan. I will now call him.......whats-his-name.

Blondie

Come on Blondie. You're killing me! What's the reason? It can't be the one fumble. It doesn't even sound like it's football related. Besides the fact that my curiosity is killing me, I'm wondering if it is something that would cause me to dislike him.

Come on blondie, PM me if you have to but fess up! What's wrong with "what's-his-name"?

Archived