Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP - Josh Norman, Kirk Cousins and the myth of the big contract

HapHaszard

I usually don't post articles down here but this is one I think everyone needs to read.

Before he became the highest paid cornerback in the NFL, Josh Norman learned harsh lessons about discipline. He was once the wild child, full of ego and eager to prove himself, and it often led him to do his own thing when he was with the Carolina Panthers.

His independence also left him, as Norman puts it, “buried underneath the doghouse” of his former coach, Ron Rivera. Norman lost the faith of Carolina defensive coordinator Sean McDermott during a 24-23 loss to Buffalo during Week 2 of the 2013 season. Late in the game, Norman ignored cornerback D.J. Moore’s call to switch on a Bills’ combo route, resulting in Stevie Johnson catching the game-winning touchdown pass. Norman would be inactive for nine of Carolina’s final 14 games that season.

I wish these pundits would stop counting these athletes pockets.  92.7/106.7 every time they goto commercial break the host are selling product.  The national talking heads are worst they all have endorsement.

These talking head's and face for radio guys/gals are all getting big $$$ to TALK about athletes.  That's worst then getting paid to actually play the sport

Some of this media outcry about Redskin use of their personnel is just the result of the Skins losing on the 1st Monday Night Football of the 2016 season.  Whenever a team debuts badly on this national stage -- there's bound to be a lot of media spin.  Especially when that contest involved a team generally popular with the media (Steelers) versus a Snyder-owned, politically-incorrect team that the media has traditionally made a living off of by slamming its every setback.  Had this been a Sunday 1:00 pm game, we probably wouldn't be seeing as much second-guessing, at least outside the greater DC metropolitan viewing area.

Maybe DC fans just need to remain calm and to stay the course.  Even in today's environment of expecations for instant gratification Skins fans and Skins media need to realize that rebuilding a competitive franchise with a good foundation and sustainable salary structure takes time.  

Skins fans and media should also also realize that signing quality professional and hard working players like Norman, Kerrigan, Williams, Reed, and (hopefully) Cousins in today's competitive market does take impressive money -- but these are the type of quailty players needed as the foundations for the teams future success.  And that these types of players' influence goes far beyond the results from how they might have been deployed for a particular game.  Skins fans should also consider how too much media-driven desperation tinkering  often turns out to be a bad idea.

Sure, there are still lots of weaknesses (run offense/ interior of the defensive front seven, etc.) this team needs to mitigate.  But overhauling the team's areas of strength to p-o-s-s-i-b-l-y help those weaknesses --while tempting in the short run, could backfire by unravelling the progress that originally led to those areas becoming strong.  Rather, this team should continue to emphasize consistency as they develop all their newly acquired players into integrated components of the Skins' offensive and defensive systems.  

Sometimes, the future is NOT now, especially when that future was effectively mortgaged during Cerrato/Shanahan/Griffin years.  

The Skins are evolving into a decently run franchise and are in the process of acquiring decent enough players to allow the Skins FO to better evaluate where future changes might be needed.  But changing the baseline each week, in search of the next week's quick fix -- blurs the picture and condemns the team and its fan base to more of the same old drifting and emergency over-reactions.

"This was all understood until boring ol’ Washington lost its season opener Monday night. And now there’s media debate and public outcry that Norman, for $15 million a year, must play like Deion Sanders or Darrelle Revis in his prime. It’s exactly the kind of wrongheaded thinking that can’t seep into the locker room if Washington wants to get good value out of Norman’s contract or any other big salaries it has doled out, or plans to dole out, now that the franchise is making progress.

The myth of the big contract is powerful and devastating. If there were a sports graveyard of unfulfilled promise, it would be overrun with visitors leaving flowers and apologizing that they let money get in the way of logic. The tombstones would have repetitive epitaphs. Something like, “He was a good player — until they redefined his worth.”

Loved that part lol...so very true.

Wyvern writes:

Some of this media outcry about Redskin use of their personnel is just the result of the Skins losing on the 1st Monday Night Football of the 2016 season.  Whenever a team debuts badly on this national stage -- there's bound to be a lot of media spin.  Especially when that contest involved a team generally popular with the media (Steelers) versus a Snyder-owned, politically-incorrect team that the media has traditionally made a living off of by slamming its every setback.  Had this been a Sunday 1:00 pm game, we probably wouldn't be seeing as much second-guessing, at least outside the greater DC metropolitan viewing area.

I feel the main reason the sports media are carrying on about Norman is because they want the stories they were clamoring for. Which is:

Norman vs. Brown

Norman vs. Bryant

Norman vs. Beckham

Norman vs. A.J. Green

etc., etc.

They've been talking about these match-ups all offseason, and are now mad they didn't get the first one. So they are making a big deal about it, thinking that is somehow going to push the Redskins into doing what the media want them to do.

It won't. :) 

2 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

I feel the main reason the sports media are carrying on about Norman is because they want the stories they were clamoring for. Which is:

Norman vs. Brown

Norman vs. Bryant

Norman vs. Beckham

Norman vs. A.J. Green

etc., etc.

They've been talking about these match-ups all offseason, and are now mad they didn't get the first one. So they are making a big deal about it, thinking that is somehow going to push the Redskins into doing what the media want them to do.

It won't. :) 

*Deleted after Brian Mitchell ****ed me out in the article below* I have seen the light!

:rofl89:

7 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

But it only makes sense that something would change given the way the game on Monday went.  Norman is one hell of a CB and I think we severely limit his abilities in making him play one side of the field.  Well no kidding that offensive coordinators will flip the play so their best WR is matched up against anyone but Norman.  I really hope it changes, and quickly.  We can't afford (with our pass rush) to let the dominant WRs on each team we face run wild against our second and third CBs. 

I worry that Dez will have a field day with our defense tomorrow unless we adjust.  Could be a long day tomorrow, unfortunately.

The Giants double-teamed Dez throughout the game and let the rest of the Cowboys' WRs do whatever damage they might. I would prefer giving Breeland help covering Bryant while also letting Norman effectively shut down 1/3rd of the field to a rookie QB.

Just now, Califan007 said:

The Giants double-teamed Dez throughout the game and let the rest of the Cowboys' WRs do whatever damage they might. I would prefer giving Breeland help covering Bryant while also letting Norman effectively shut down 1/3rd of the field to a rookie QB.

Do you happen to know if we double teamed Antonio Brown at all last week?  It seemed like Breeland was one on one with him all game long.

Relevant: 

Brian Mitchell to Redskins fans: ‘Stop acting like you’re stupid’

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/09/16/brian-mitchell-to-redskins-fans-stop-acting-like-youre-stupid/

Twenty-five years ago, the Redskins faced the Cowboys in Week 2 of the Bandwagon season. This was possibly the best team in franchise history, playing after the best decade in franchise history, at a time when the Nationals didn’t exist and the Redskins were often the only show in town.

And The Washington Post, near as I can tell, ran something like 12 Redskins stories from Tuesday through Saturday of that Dallas week. (The game was on Monday night.) That’s barely two a day!

......................................................................................................................................

What this means, of course, is that you now have far more information about the team than you could have dreamed about 25 years ago, when interest was actually higher, and when the team was getting ready to win the Super Bowl. What this also means is that sometimes, small things (the defensive secondary’s Week 1 plan for dealing with Antonio Brown) become big and repetitive stories (yes, this is about Josh Norman again.)

And so at the end of a week, it can sure feel like overkill (and yes, I’m the one currently holding the bent plastic knife, trying to find the next target to stab). For Brian Mitchell, the whole thing — angry callers, endless segments, rival players chiming in — finally got to be a little bit too much.

“Listen, all of these other [players] talking about what’s going on with this football team are worthless,” Mitchell said on his ESPN 980 show Thursday afternoon. “They need to be concerned about what’s happening on their team. Dez Bryant needs to be concerned about his own defensive backs, who are getting their butts burned, okay? It’s ridiculous. Listen, everybody talks as if every top corner on every team in the history of the NFL has followed one receiver around. You know how rare that is, okay? It’s like somebody getting struck by lightning; it happens about that often.

“And our fans, Redskins fans, stop acting like you’re stupid, to allow other people talking trash to make you think something,” Mitchell went on. “Nobody does that. Normally — as Fred Smoot stated on this air — the top corner covers one side of the field. And then the defensive coordinator and his defensive back coaches have to design a scheme to make sure that other guy is not going to be one-on-one all day with [a receiver]. Because the Steelers weren’t stupid, okay?  They lined [Brown] up in the backfield, in the slot, all over the place, to see what was going on, and if you send one  guy with him all day, they know exactly what you’re doing.

“I understand this is a new social media  world,” Mitchell said. “I understand about Twitter, Facebook and all this. But damn, are we that stupid to where we’re going to sit up here and believe something has transpired that hasn’t? Did Darrell Green cover the number one receiver every play? Hell no. Did Deion Sanders do it all the time? No. There were times when Deion Sanders dropped to a knee because he knew they weren’t throwing to his side, and they threw to the damn top wide receiver on the other side. So let’s get off of that mess. It’s crap.”

That was a good rant! Now if he would only rant about the media coverage. Oh wait.

[Alfred Morris wonders if he’ll get booed at FedEx Field. (He won’t)]

“You know what? Journalism, sports radio, TV, it’s no longer about journalism and facts, it’s about how can we get somebody hyped-up to click on our B.S.,” Mitchell went on. “Because most stuff that you see over the airwaves today is pure crap. I don’t care if it’s radio or TV, it’s crap. You know, I turn on NFL Network, and I turn it off, because it’s straight drama. It’s amazing to me how we sit here and act as if that goes on every day, all day. Who was the Steelers’ top corner? Did he follow DeSean [Jackson] everywhere? Hell no. So people, listen, Josh Norman, you are the new iPhone, because everybody seems to be competing against you. You’re not talking trash about them, but they all want to trash you, which means they all got a little jealousy in them. That’s all the hell that is. Please.”

That was a good rant, too! Now if he would only rant about specific players like Victor Cruz offering their own thoughts on Josh Norman. Oh wait.

“Cruz is about to get his ass lit up,” Mitchell went on. “Just believe what I’m saying. See the one thing about it is, if someone means absolutely nothing to you and you think they’re trash, you don’t discuss ’em. You understand? When people call in here some days and say some craziness, whatever, cool. People say stuff on Twitter, Facebook, cool, whatever. They don’t make a damn bit of difference in my life.

“So if someone is on another team and you’re that concerned about them, how in the hell can you be getting ready for your own performances and your team?” Mitchell asked. “It makes no sense. You know, all of these players today, they’re more about drama than performance. Look, Josh Norman played in the Super Bowl last year.  They lost it, but there were a lot of guys that didn’t play in the Super Bowl. Victor Cruz can’t even stay on the field long enough.

“So my whole thing is Josh, whenever they are constantly talking about you, I have never seen nobody talk trash and hate on somebody that’s a piece of crap. They always hate on the good ones. The damn good ones they hate on. So let’s get it straight. Jesus, they hated on him. And he was a great one. Whenever somebody talks about you, you know what, smile, pat yourself on the chest or on the back and say thank you fool, that means I’m doing something right.”

Click on the link for a little bit more.

:ols:

Usually, Mitchell's rants are a bit over the top for me and exaggerated, but this was spot on, imho. It's really ridiculous what's going on right now with Norman, especially seeing all the comments from player's around the league. Hate to use this term, but they're straight up haters. Jealous ass haters. 

3 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

Do you happen to know if we double teamed Antonio Brown at all last week?  It seemed like Breeland was one on one with him all game long.

Can't say....I wasn't able to watch the game because of travel on business. I saw about 2/3rds of the Cowboys game, though. Seemed like on those very few times they targeted Dez, he was being shellacked by a CB and a safety every time he attempted a catch.

Me: " I would prefer giving Breeland help covering Bryant while also letting Norman effectively shut down 1/3rd of the field to a rookie QB."

Brian Mitchell: "Normally — as Fred Smoot stated on this air — the top corner covers one side of the field. And then the defensive coordinator and his defensive back coaches have to design a scheme to make sure that other guy is not going to be one-on-one all day with [a receiver]."

My footballs smarts just got validated by Brian Mitchell lol...that's like finding a dollar bill in your pants pocket on laundry day. Doesn't really buy you anything but slightly exciting for about 17 seconds.

On 9/17/2016 at 10:12 AM, Califan007 said:

"

The myth of the big contract is powerful and devastating. If there were a sports graveyard of unfulfilled promise, it would be overrun with visitors leaving flowers and apologizing that they let money get in the way of logic. The tombstones would have repetitive epitaphs. Something like, “He was a good player — until they redefined his worth.”

Loved that part lol...so very true.

The one that used to get us was he was a great player in his contract year, but died once he got the money.

Archived