Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AJE: Why the Philippine 'Punisher' could be president

visionary

37 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

You know there is a lesson to be learned here..I just doubt anyone will pay attention. 

It's also comical to see that blowhard (Duterte) now backtrack on his comments a few days later. 

If you're thinking Trump, I agree the parallels in their excessively (maybe compulsively) insulting manner of speech is hard to miss.  But this guy might actually be a psychopath.  Remeber he was claiming to have killed someone personally and proudly featured extrajudicial killing of his own country's citizens as his main campaign promise.  Three months into his term and the media is reporting 1700 such killings.  Yikes.  He's not just saying crazy things, the bodies are piling up.

The parallels to Trump end at that, of course. But neither seems to have a filter and both owe their success, politically, to saying whatever the hell they want. They largely appeal to the lcd. In the corrupt world of Filipino politics, the lcd wanted something that wasn't corrupt. They likely got a mad man. But at least he isn't corrupt, right?

Always be careful for what you wish for. 

12 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

Dutarte also has 90% approval ratings.....    are all the filipinos effing insane??

really???

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3775487/Philippine-president-Duterte-regrets-calling-Obama-son-****-bilateral-meeting-canceled.html

I had forgotten that they aren't just killing suspected drug dealers but that article claimed "suspected drug users" are being killed as well.  Suspected.  Users. 

It's basically become a vigilantes wet dream under Duterte.

When Duterte was running for office, he promised an all-out war on drugs. What he has delivered is a war on suspected drug users, dealers and their families. An estimated 2,400 people have been killed in two months.

[‘Shoot him and I’ll give you a medal’: New Philippine president urges public to kill drug lords]

The tidal wave of extrajudicial and vigilante killings is devastating the Philippines. Recent victims include a 4-year-old girl out to get popcorn with her father, and a 5-year-old shot to death in her family's store.

Duterte is not particularly interested in talking about human rights — he has said as much. Now, because he cursed out Obama's mother, he doesn't have to; instead of apologizing for overseeing executions, he can say sorry for his dirty mouth.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/09/06/the-son-of-whore-story-is-about-so-much-more-than-dutertes-dirty-mouth/

Still, I wouldn't think insulting the one ally that's basically keeping your country from speaking Chinese in the next 10 or so years would be the smart move for him. Especially when most leaders in his country are trying to get more US Navy involvement.

1 hour ago, mcsluggo said:

Dutarte also has 90% approval ratings.....    are all the filipinos effing insane??

really???

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3775487/Philippine-president-Duterte-regrets-calling-Obama-son-****-bilateral-meeting-canceled.html

Things have been so bad in the Philippines for so long... Just awful. And the US has maintained bases on the island so they really get their noses rubbed in how life is for Americans vs how life is for them

my first trip to the Phillipines involved walking off base and seeing a hoard of naked kids and blind beggars follow us around everywhere we went, hoping we would throw a coin. Then there's the **** river. You're better off not knowing

so my reaction when I read the above is only that it took them so long to elect a radical, not that they did

yes, but....

things have actually been improving lately (finally).  The Philippines finally started to grow like an Asian tiger (they had consistently lagged their regional peers, despite some CLEAR structural advantages (like a better educated workforce that largely speaks English relatively well), the most recent administration was RELATIVELY less corrupt (both than its predecessors and most of the peers), the country finally reached and stayed at "investment grade", and has been attracting FDI....

things have been looking up, not down, for the country, and THEN they elect the booger-eating goon...?  and remain happy about it...?

they still love him.    and they probably aren't ever going to hate him.    it will be like argentina, or venezuela... filipinos will hate what happens to the country,  but they won't blame HIM  (or Chavez or Peron) they will hate whomever comes after him and is left to deal with the broken pieces, and they will also be nostalgic for  him.    

• 2 weeks later...

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte apologized to Jews worldwide Sunday after his remarks drawing comparisons between his bloody anti-drug war and Hitler and the Holocaust sparked shock and outrage.

The tough-talking Duterte said his apology was intended only for the Jewish community. He lashed out again at Western critics and human rights advocates who have raised concerns over his brutal crackdown, which is estimated to have left more than 3,000 suspected drug dealers and users dead in just three months.

Duterte said in a speech in the central city of Bacolod that he never had any intention "to derogate the memory of the 6 million Jews murdered by the Germans." Historians say 6 million Jews were killed by the Nazis under Hitler before and during World War II.

"I apologize profoundly and deeply to the Jewish community," Duterte said.

Amnesty International said that Duterte "has sunk to new depths" and urged governments around the world to condemn his "extremely dangerous outburst."

Amid the criticisms, presidential spokesman Ernie Abella defended Duterte, saying his "reference to the slaughter was an oblique deflection of the way he has been pictured as a mass murderer."

"He likewise draws an oblique conclusion, that while the Holocaust was an attempt to exterminate the future generations of Jews, drug-related killings as a result of legitimate police operations (as opposed to so-called "extra-judicial killings" of criminals, wrongly attributed to him, as these are not state-sanctioned) will nevertheless result in the salvation of the next generation of Filipinos," Abella said in a statement.

Duterte has asked for a six-month extension of his drug crackdown, saying he underestimated the magnitude of the problem.

Archived