Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Digital trends: THE BBC IS DROPPING ITS TELEVISION AND RADIO DIVISIONS

Burgold

http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/bbc-dropping-television-and-radio-divisions/

London-based broadcasting giant BBC is planning to drop its channel-based television and radio divisions to help reshape the company’s future for “content and audience-led divisions.” The Telegraph reports that the news will be unveiled in a speech by BBC director-general Lord Tony Hall. This may be the largest organizational overhaul in the broadcaster’s 93-year history.

It sounds like a huge reorganization and reinvention of how they do things. The article isn't rich enough to really understand what it means, but it looks like they are trying to consolidate all their mediums into divisions. All entertainment on radio, TV, and internet in one block, all news in another, etc.

What this means for the bureaus, and reporters, producers, writers, cameramen, engineers, execs, and others is a different and very frightening thing.

PBS is probably soon to go in this country.

I've been wondering about this. Their donation model must really suffer given multiple channels, stations, etc.  Public Broadcasting offers some really useful and fun stuff from the NewsHour to entertainment and of course educational programming, but... I don't know how they don't get a little bit lost in the modern cable/internet programming landscape.

I quite enjoy BBC radio. And the TV people.make some interesting documentaries.

I listen to it on satellite sometimes. It's interesting in that it is nothing but updates from former British colonies. If you ever need to know what's happening in India and Australia and parts of Africa, tune in. We get almost no news from those places in the US. The lack of news from Australia that we get is actually remarkable

Archived