Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Forbes.com: GOP Is The New Judas: Needed 30 Pieces Of Silver To Betray Its Principles (Collender)

Fergasun

Forbes.com: GOP Is The New Judas: Needed 30 Pieces Of Silver To Betray Its Principles

The Gospel of Matthew says that Judas betrayed Jesus for 30 pieces of silver.  House and Senate Republicans did the political equivalent of that same thing last week when they sold their federal budget souls in exchange for the increased spending and renewed tax breaks for their pet projects that was included in the omnibus appropriation-tax extender bill.  Consider the following GOP budget betrayals:
- Big Increases in the Federal Deficit and Debt
- Earmarks are Back
- Tea Party and Freedom Caucus Hang a "Gone Fishing" Sign

Posting this article for anyone looking at a critique of end of year budget deal that was completed back in December.  He expands on the 3 points.  In addition, I didn't hear any critiques of this during the GOP debate today.  I understand one could argue "The Democrats don't control spending either..." but Democrats don't act like they care about spending/debt, etc. 

I'm actually going to pull out the quote from the section on increases to deficit and debt, because it is quite compelling and clear:

Congressional Republicans made it clear with this vote that, in spite of all of their vitriolic rhetoric, they don’t actually care about the deficit and debt. They also made it obvious that the past GOP protests about these issues were a scam: Republicans will gladly and quickly increase the deficit and debt if they can get money for what they want to do.

This is how I've felt for awhile -- when the "other guy" is getting the spending he wants, you complain. 

bull-with-nose-ring.jpg

There really isn't much more that can be said for people who continue to vote for them. You dn't get better unless you vote for better, and unfortunately, there's so much team spirit involved, real ****ty people can get in because people generally are not going to listen to a whit of what anyone else has to say.

People have to be willing to break molds, step away from all the hysteria created.

And they're not.

spend spend spend and push social agendas. Intrude governmentally on people's lives

Real conservatism doesn't exist anymore.

~Bang

I would actually disagree with the article's assertion that the Reps voted for a budget because of goodies.

I'd assert they did it because of a desire for power. And they made a calculated decision that attempting to block the budget would cost them the 2016 election. (And I think they were correct).

I would actually disagree with the article's assertion that the Reps voted for a budget because of goodies.

I'd assert they did it because of a desire for power. And they made a calculated decision that attempting to block the budget would cost them the 2016 election. (And I think they were correct).

I would add the economy is teetering and did not need buffeting.....besides inflaming the fiscal cons will only help 

politics sucks

Under W, the federal budget grew at around 7 1/2% per year, the fastest in postwar history. He went his entire first term without vetoing a single spending bill. His first spending veto came because the bill included money for stem cell research.

Replacing Gingrich with Hastert, and picking W in 2000 over the last fiscal conservative holdout John McCain ended the GOP's credibility as a fiscally conservative party. All the fiscal reforms from the 90s, other than welfare reform, were reversed. Conservative now means how much you love Jesus and hate Muslims, Queer folk, and Mexicans, rather than advocating rational limits on government spending and regulations.

In the 80s and 90s people complained I was an ultraconservative, and now I am apparently a liberal in the eyes of Republican voters; yet the only issues I have changed my mind on are the death penalty and global warming.

As opposed to the robust economy we had, when the GOP was buffeting with all their strength?

well some say it was/is robust :lol: .....can't say I've seen fiscal restraint from any side at the national level.

Archived