Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Fallout 4 Thread (all platforms)

codeorama

Kaboom.

Difference between this release and the bugs with New Vegas...Bethesda rushed New Vegas, pushing it out in 6 months. Bethesda spent 4 years and 9 months on Fallout 4. Todd Howard said at E3 back in June that they started developing Fallout 4 in January 2011. Almost five ****ing years. And you can tell. The crafting/building alone....Holy ****.

I've not dealt with a single issue at all on ps4 yet.

The ONLY issue I've had in the game and maybe its just me, but:

I tore down a bunch of the destroyed houses in Sanctuary and scrapped everything.

Then, I went to build a new house.

When trying to build from scratch, the premade walls do not fit the foundations. For example, I put the corner sections in first then the door way and then tried to fill in the walls, but IF the space is not exact, it won't work. Is there some way to make the walls fit? If they are too big, they just won't work.

Second, I used the prefab shack, which is pretty cool, BUT, when you go inside and try to put things in it like a bed or chairs etc.. it selects the shack and you end up moving the whole thing. The only way I could get it to work was to leave the shack and go outside, then make a bed, then carry it back into the shack.  Kind of annoying. I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong though.

Anyone know how to do it right?

The ONLY issue I've had in the game and maybe its just me, but:

I tore down a bunch of the destroyed houses in Sanctuary and scrapped everything.

Then, I went to build a new house.

When trying to build from scratch, the premade walls do not fit the foundations. For example, I put the corner sections in first then the door way and then tried to fill in the walls, but IF the space is not exact, it won't work. Is there some way to make the walls fit? If they are too big, they just won't work.

Second, I used the prefab shack, which is pretty cool, BUT, when you go inside and try to put things in it like a bed or chairs etc.. it selects the shack and you end up moving the whole thing. The only way I could get it to work was to leave the shack and go outside, then make a bed, then carry it back into the shack. Kind of annoying. I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong though.

Anyone know how to do it right?

Exact. Same. Issue. Lol. "No, dammit, don't connect that wall to the existing wall, cuz it's going out beyond the foundation" lol. I tried 3 times, never worked. I ended up putting a prefab shack down, but with all the windows, it's gonna need some reinforcement.

I confess that, I only spent an hour in "the wastes" yesterday, spent over 4 hours building up my hood.

Question: are all the materials we end to fortify our towns located INSIDE THE area? Can I find stuff out in the world that translates over to the workbench to build stuff? I have some weak, basic ass gun turrets for right now, but I want the big joints (missile launchers, laser turrets, etc). But I don't have all the parts to do so. And I'm only at the main base (sanctuary)

SPOILER, I GUESS???:

apparently there are quite a few places across the map where you can build up a fort, but I don't know if everything I need is already inside those areas or not

Exact. Same. Issue. Lol. "No, dammit, don't connect that wall to the existing wall, cuz it's going out beyond the foundation" lol. I tried 3 times, never worked. I ended up putting a prefab shack down, but with all the windows, it's gonna need some reinforcement.

I confess that, I only spent an hour in "the wastes" yesterday, spent over 4 hours building up my hood.

Question: are all the materials we end to fortify our towns located INSIDE THE area? Can I find stuff out in the world that translates over to the workbench to build stuff? I have some weak, basic ass gun turrets for right now, but I want the big joints (missile launchers, laser turrets, etc). But I don't have all the parts to do so. And I'm only at the main base (sanctuary)

SPOILER, I GUESS???:

apparently there are quite a few places across the map where you can build up a fort, but I don't know if everything I need is already inside those areas or not

Ok, not sure if you know this, maybe you do, 

but

You don't have to be at the work bench to "build or scrap".  When you are in Sanctuary, Hold down the button that put you in the "build" mode. I don't know what it is on PS4, but on XB1, its the left options button.  When you enter the build mode, the houses that are in really bad shape can be scrapped down to the foundation, you salvage EVERYTHING in them.  In addition, while you are in build mode, you can run around scrapping tons of stuff.  You can also do this at other areas like the drive in theater and the place where you met the dog.

Not sure if that made sense, but hope it helps.

Also, there is a video on IGN showing how to make a high roof warehouse type structure. Very cool.

How long does it take me to get out of my house and nuked? Tired of playing with the baby and talking to the wife.

Man...I afraid you might not like this game lol. It'll take 100s of hours to even get halfway through lol.

Thanks, code. So I csn go elsewhere to find the necessary materials to build stuff. Gotcha!

vanilla. I always run vanilla first.

I got a heavily modded sniper rifle now. Head shots for everyone .

I always have a hard time with the FoV in the Fallout games so I immediately installed the mod that let's me change it. I get really bad motion sickness / headaches from the FoV in some games. Half-Life and Portal seem to be the worst offenders.

no bull****, hand to god.  I've had dreams about fallout 4 two nights in a row now.

Part of me wants to tell you what kind of bad guys are coming....but i'll let the Fallout newbs find for themselves.  Really looking forward to the first person on ES that comes in here freaked out.  ;)

Man...I afraid you might not like this game lol. It'll take 100s of hours to even get halfway through lol.

I just want to get out of the house and into the **** man.  I work from home in real life, always in tha ****ing house lol.  Don't want to spend my time gaming, in game, in a house with a wife and baby :P

Seriously, was just curious.  I met that salesman, secured my spot in the Fallout shelter.  It was still downloading last night when I went to bed, so I was only able to play for about 15 mins this morning when I woke up.  I know it's a patient, time consuming game.  

I just want to get out of the house and into the **** man.  I work from home in real life, always in tha ****ing house lol.  Don't want to spend my time gaming, in game, in a house with a wife and baby :P

Seriously, was just curious.  I met that salesman, secured my spot in the Fallout shelter.  It was still downloading last night when I went to bed, so I was only able to play for about 15 mins this morning when I woke up.  I know it's a patient, time consuming game.  

no worries at all, Taze.  once  you're out of the house and past all the "pre-story" stuff, you'll roll along just fine. the whole wife and kid, salesman, vault **** took me about 90 minutes~.  After that vault door opens, the world is yours.    :wub:

Not counting character creation I was in the vault in no time. I've played enough games to "yeah yeah whatever" my way through some BS.

I got stuck town building at sanctuary for hours. I've made some wild towers and then decide the material cost was too high and load a previous save point.

I never have enough screws. You'd think the damn thing would be everywhere. I suspect the fallout universe is entirely built around glue and duct tape.

Not counting character creation I was in the vault in no time. I've played enough games to "yeah yeah whatever" my way through some BS.

I got stuck town building at sanctuary for hours. I've made some wild towers and then decide the material cost was too high and load a previous save point.

I never have enough screws. You'd think the damn thing would be everywhere. I suspect the fallout universe is entirely built around glue and duct tape.

There is a perk where you can get screws and other stuff from armor and weapons.

I always have a hard time with the FoV in the Fallout games so I immediately installed the mod that let's me change it. I get really bad motion sickness / headaches from the FoV in some games. Half-Life and Portal seem to be the worst offenders.

I've heard of people having that issue but never known anyone in person who had it.  That stinks, I'm glad there's a mod out there though for it.

I had no idea there was so much building/crafting in this game.  I literally just had time the other day to get outside and get to Sanctuary.  Can't wait to jump back in!

That makes sense. I wonder if this game has console commands like skyrim did. I'll tell you this, if I have another play through I'd like to increase max carry weight by 1000. :)

I remember Fallout 3....I was 100+ hours in before I realized you can "wait." Lol.

I don't think there's a wait option in FO4 that I've found

Haven't found wait but you can sleep at any bed and it does essentially the same thing.

Tips for new players:

1. When building your character, don't try to be a jack of all trades. You end up just sucking at everything. I'd recommend going into Luck big time as it has perks that help in combat and finding money/items. I don't think lockpicking is all that important. Invest a few in Intel so you can at least hack terminals(these can be helpful). Don't invest in strength as its largely worthless. Companions can carry stuff for you and melee combat will get you killed as most tough enemies use big guns that will rip you apart. Agility is very good. Perception and Charisma are fairly situational(I like Charisma as you can persuade people which can be helpful).

2. Carry multiple guns. You will at some point run out of ammo so you'll want different guns with different ammo types. You don't need to worry about having more than one gun that uses the same ammo(no real point, keep the best one). Don't invest in any of the increased effectiveness with X gun type perk because you don't know what you'll end up using. Laser rifles are great but the ammo is hard to find and very expensive. General rule of thumb I'd say would be one pistol, one shotgun, one long range type rifle, and one laser gun. You'll occasionally get some really powerful weapons too but they have limited ammo, save these for certain tough situations(i.e. boss type fights).

3. Save a lot and keep different save files. Never know when you may need to go back, or find yourself stuck in a tough spot with no way out. I typically will keep a save file right before entering a certain tough area, that way if I'm screwed I can reload to the start of it.

4. VATS is better in combat as it can build up a critical hit meter. You end up doing better in combat if you use VATS a lot, but you run out of AP fast, so occasionally you'll have to shoot manually. But use VATS as much as possible, especially if you go into a Luck build(your crit fills up a lot faster).

5. Make sure you're always stocked up on ammo and consumables(stimpacks to recover health primarily). You can burn through it pretty fast.

That makes sense. I wonder if this game has console commands like skyrim did. I'll tell you this, if I have another play through I'd like to increase max carry weight by 1000. :)

Haven't found wait but you can sleep at any bed and it does essentially the same thing.

player.setav carryweight 1000

Tips for new players:

1. When building your character, don't try to be a jack of all trades. You end up just sucking at everything. I'd recommend going into Luck big time as it has perks that help in combat and finding money/items. I don't think lockpicking is all that important. Invest a few in Intel so you can at least hack terminals(these can be helpful). Don't invest in strength as its largely worthless. Companions can carry stuff for you and melee combat will get you killed as most tough enemies use big guns that will rip you apart. Agility is very good. Perception and Charisma are fairly situational(I like Charisma as you can persuade people which can be helpful).

2. Carry multiple guns. You will at some point run out of ammo so you'll want different guns with different ammo types. You don't need to worry about having more than one gun that uses the same ammo(no real point, keep the best one). Don't invest in any of the increased effectiveness with X gun type perk because you don't know what you'll end up using. Laser rifles are great but the ammo is hard to find and very expensive. General rule of thumb I'd say would be one pistol, one shotgun, one long range type rifle, and one laser gun. You'll occasionally get some really powerful weapons too but they have limited ammo, save these for certain tough situations(i.e. boss type fights).

3. Save a lot and keep different save files. Never know when you may need to go back, or find yourself stuck in a tough spot with no way out. I typically will keep a save file right before entering a certain tough area, that way if I'm screwed I can reload to the start of it.

4. VATS is better in combat as it can build up a critical hit meter. You end up doing better in combat if you use VATS a lot, but you run out of AP fast, so occasionally you'll have to shoot manually. But use VATS as much as possible, especially if you go into a Luck build(your crit fills up a lot faster).

5. Make sure you're always stocked up on ammo and consumables(stimpacks to recover health primarily). You can burn through it pretty fast.

Not that my opinion carries much weight, but this is a SOLID write up for new fallout players. Well done, sir Warhead

Archived