Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

What did Josh Lambert do?

He made all his kicks afaik. Dont think he had any long attempts. Kwitakowski(spelling?) The lb impressed as well.

Edit: The WVU punter looks like he will make the nfl too. Cant remember his name. Guy has a huge leg and beard lol.

Kessler's first 3 pass plays were a thing of beauty.

1) hits a 12 yard hitch route on his 3rd read, right on time.

2) looks through his reads, sees last option on comeback route is covered...throws it away.

3) steps up into the pocket & makes a nice throw (slightly low/behind) on the run to his 3rd read again....WR takes it to the house.

....injury to Adoree Jackson....non-contact. Pulled up lane at end of PR. Does not look good.....

Kessler makes another great play shortly after eveading the rush & hitting another comeback route.

Negatives....his deep ball accuracy is a little off. Seems like he understands his limitations, & tries to throw it based on the early read at the top of his drop. All of his reads on his deep balls have been correct, but just a little off.

On 2 of them his WRs were held...1 was called. On the other 2 he slightly overthrew his man.

I'll be watching to see if it's just a geeting used to his WRs thing....if it's just rust..or just bad deep ball accuracy. One thing he can develop to correct that is understanding better, the safety help, & knowing when he can afford to put some more air under it.

We shall see.

I'm very impressed with his ability to read the field, & understand timing routes. His OL hasn't been great, & the Ark St Defense has adjusted by bringing more delayed blitzes to confuse the OL, which has been moderately successful. But SC countered with some screens & now the chess game advances.

Also....

It is Arkansas St. after all.

Oh...& ASU is simply refusing to test Cravens' side of the field.

Robinson get shed off his run blocks a little more than you'd like though. He is powerful as hell but he needs to get a little more consistent at sustaining his blocks by using his hands better after his initial punch.

I think at that stage of the game, guys were just sidestepping him. It seemed liked he got used to the old school straight forward style of play that you get from Wisconsin, until the time where they realized they were being physically beaten. It is nice to watch old school pound it out football, though. 

But maybe it's a trend for him to overcommit. Something to watch. And you're right it would need to be fixed. 

But, when watching him I couldn't help but think of Osemele at Iowa State. Such a big guy with good movement skills. And it also made me smile a bit to think about McC redefining our roster with big, talented, strong guys. 

McC being an old school Al Davis 2nd generation disciple, I smiled a bit at the idea of getting physically abusive type of guys, athletes, who might have some areas to clean up, but when combined as a whole, you get a physically imposing and exhausting kind-of team that demoralizes opponents. 

Referring to the old AL Davis where he succeeded with his crazy formula of athletes and muscle bound goons, 60s - 70s through early 2000s. 

I love football for this reason:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-ucla-virginia-plaschke-20150906-column.html

Because if I didn't know better, we all just watched the next Peyton Manning's first collegiate game. 

It's only one game. He's only 18. The sample size is small. The season is long.

Afterward, his coach understandably attempted to slow the buzz by pushing his outstretched palms downward in a suppressing motion.

OK ... not. Forget it. Not gonna work. No amount of rationalizing will pick all those jaws off the Rose Bowl floor. No chunks of common sense will stop the rubbing of eyes, the nudging of neighbors, the emptying of lungs that filled the Arroyo Seco with stunned surprise.

My son is the QBs Equipment Manager for Miami. Had his first game last night. He supports Brad Kaaya who is a pro style QB. Don't know college football that well. Thoughts about Kaaya?

Josh Rosen was #1 in the country coming out of HS and he started as a Freshman? 28 of his 35 passes for 351 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions on his first college game? "Chosen Rosen" is what they are saying...

I think at that stage of the game, guys were just sidestepping him. It seemed liked he got used to the old school straight forward style of play that you get from Wisconsin, until the time where they realized they were being physically beaten. It is nice to watch old school pound it out football, though. 

But maybe it's a trend for him to overcommit. Something to watch. And you're right it would need to be fixed.

When I saw him falling off some of his blocks, it wasn't so much he was overcommitted as I think he was tired and on the plays where I noticed him getting shed, he was dropping his hands after his punch instead of latching on. I think he wasn't fully focused and finishing all of his snaps due to fatigue, plus the fact that the game was no longer close and so he didn't stay dialed in.

Flipping back and forth between ND and Bama, you could see the difference in the level of conditioning of the ND right tackle and Robinson. Robinson looks like he's carrying some bad weight whereas that ND RT doesn't look like he's carrying any bad weight at all. He was playing with great energy throughout the fourth quarter. Felt like he was in the middle of every scrum.

I remember reading some article in sports illustrated where a Rams defensive coach was at the combine and complaining about how fat all of the linemen were getting. He said it was because guys were playing video games in their free time instead of basketball like they used to a couple decades ago. McGlinchey looks like he plays basketball and Robinson looks like a Madden fan.

But, when watching him I couldn't help but think of Osemele at Iowa State. Such a big guy with good movement skills. And it also made me smile a bit to think about McC redefining our roster with big, talented, strong guys.

I see Osemele too. Wide bodied with long and thick limbs and heavy hands. Very agile. He is ahead of the game, being so young and already having so much functional power to pair with his movement skills. I think he's a future first round pick, which as a potential NFL LT, probably makes him an early first rounder. But I could also see him moving inside to guard and thriving like Osemele did.

Josh Rosen was #1 in the country coming out of HS and he started as a Freshman? 28 of his 35 passes for 351 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions on his first college game? "Chosen Rosen" is what they are saying...

That two minute drill to end the first half was impressive despite the incomplete passes. Some of that was his receivers just not making the play and some of it was him being off by a hair. But since I was pulling for UVA, it was a terrifying sequence. UVA's defense was hanging on by its fingernails. It was like during a fight where the superior boxer gets the lesser fighter on the ropes and is just devastating him and the hapless fighter is just turtling up and trying to make it to the bell.

Rosen is already a scary passer. The reason people are so excited about him is because his command of the passing game is unbelievable for a true freshman at a big time college program. He stuck a very impressive variety of throws. And you could definitely hear the excitement in Brady Quinn's voice during his commentary. As a passer who made it to the NFL, he could really appreciate how special Rosen's arm looked. He was poised and demonstrated all of the intangibles you want to see too, but the pure passing ability is really what people are excited about.

All that said, it was just one game. And one where everything was going right against an overmatched opponent. The native throwing talent is definitely there, but he needs to show durability, consistency, resiliency, growth, and toughness for when things go poorly before we can anoint Rosen as the next Andrew Luck.

I will say this though, if Rosen keeps playing at such a high level, he'll be a surefire #1 overall pick when he comes out, and he's going to get a bunch of his tight ends and receivers drafted too. And with a defensive front as good as UCLA has, and with Stanford and Arizona State suffering tough early losses, UCLA has a really good chance at competing for the Pac-12 title this year.

Ok-maybe this is just the homie in me coming out. But a name to keep in the back of your mind is Seth Russell, Baylors qb.

6-3, 220 lbs, very mobile, and has a strong arm.  He is a 4th year junior, and it will be interesting to see how he leads the team this year.

Idk, Baylor does not prepare its QB's to run NFL offenses. First Griffin, then Petty. The spread concepts might translate better somewhere else, but unless we hire a very different HC I don't see it working here without a lot of development time.

Idk, Baylor does not prepare its QB's to run NFL offenses. First Griffin, then Petty. The spread concepts might translate better somewhere else, but unless we hire a very different HC I don't see it working here without a lot of development time.

If we're looking for a new QB next year, but not a coach, I will likely have some tremendous concerns about the sanity of this organization.

What do you see as being our position of biggest need at the end of the year?

I'll be looking for OL, QB, CB

Since I'm not big into CFB, I casually follow the players that create buzz in our positions of need.

Not necessarily a list of which needs are the biggest, but where I would prioritize adding a real impact player might go like this:

1. QB

2. CB

3. FS

4. NT

5. TE

6. OL

7. WR

Hmmmmm...projected positions of "need."gonna go more with what Rufus called it, & say:

1) S

2) NT (depends on Knighton)

3) 3-4 DE (Hatch up there, RJF starter?)

4) QB (cosideration regardless of results)

5) OC (Lich is old, not ideal)

6) RT/OG (depends on Moses)

7) ILB (can Spaight/Compton/Riley own it?)

8) CB (Hall old, rest of DBs suspect)

9) TE (again, Reed/Carrier, who owns it?)

The biggest concern for next year for me would be the secondary, a center, and probably one DLine spot.   You cant keep throwing picks at OLine, and if Moses and one of our Gs develop, really C is the last spot we need on there, Licht just keeps getting blown into the backfield on too many plays.  We know that unless something crazy happens we still need a ball hawk back at safety.  And we know that we may likely lose one, if not two DLine players, so to keep it strong, we need to add 1.

Archived